Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 18:26   #136
BHPian

Re: F1-2012: How many times did you hear that 'Tire Management' is critical?

Given that MS won his world championships from 2002 to 2004 because Ferrari had an inhouse tyre manufacturer in Bridgestone is forgotten by most here. The moment the rules were changed in 05, Ferrari Bridgestone combo went for a toss.
This year, apart from Williams victory in Spain, most of the drivers who have won had a car capable of victory (and i dont mean any disrespect to Williams, I admire Sir Frank Williams for his achievements) . Fernando won in Malaysia because of his driving skills and Nico won in China because the Mercedes is no push over this season. So except Maldonado's Spanish victory, the rest of the winners have been the usual suspects. Now its either a coincidence coupled with some silly driving that each of these top poiltis got to win a race each, but I am sure as the season progresses the top3 will be more consistent with their victories.
I am happy with the way the races are shaping out, and I hope they dont jump and do a knee jerk reaction to change the tyre formula to suit just one team.

Last edited by RacingForIndia : 21st June 2012 at 18:29. Reason: Changed (read corrected) Fernandos winning venue ;-)
Old 21st June 2012, 21:52   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
Given that MS won his world championships from 2002 to 2004 because Ferrari had an inhouse tyre manufacturer in Bridgestone is forgotten by most here. The moment the rules were changed in 05, Ferrari Bridgestone combo went for a toss.
Yeah yeah yeah yeah and oh ..I believe you also include the 2003 season in this when MS beat Kimi by 2 points to the WDC,inspite of having a in house tyre manufacturer and Kimi suffering 3 retirements.

Last edited by jraj : 21st June 2012 at 21:54.
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:16   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ferrari-BS combo went for a toss includes the 2 Constructors & 1 Drivers title after the Ferrari inhouse made Bridgestones were gone in 2005!?

I can see the frustration created by Michael & Ferrari domination back in early 2000s to the non-Tifosis

Last edited by anachronix : 22nd June 2012 at 08:23.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:08   #139
BHPian

As it so often happens, in the end, all the blame of all problems in the world lies with Michael Schumacher and the Ferrari team of 96-2006.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:13   #140
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys!
Thanks for the entertaining discussion.
I'm off from this discussion.

Valencia will be hot yet tight track, let's see what happens. Hopefully we are back at racing.
Cheers!
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:49   #141
BHPian

2003 Italian GP - The FIA announce changes to the way tyres are measured, meaning Ferrari's competitors are disadvantaged as their tyre manufacturer has to change things. Schumacher was behind in the Championship until after this decision gave him an advantage again.
Source: The FIA Cheats

Looks like its a case of convenient amnesia for Ferrari Fans. :-)

Back to the topic. As I said, I believe that the usual suspects i.e. Ferrari, McLaren and RedBull would be winning most of the races this year so this issue about the tyre management being the bone of contention would be answered on track. Except for Button, the other pilots have already adapted their driving style to suite the tyres and its making for very interesting racing. Lewis Hamiltion did a whole race distance with just one pit stop, and he is supposed to be a pretty hard on his tyres.
I'd rather have a chaotic race than a procession.
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:20   #142
BHPian

Quote:
2003 Italian GP - The FIA announce changes to the way tyres are measured, meaning Ferrari's competitors are disadvantaged as their tyre manufacturer has to change things. Schumacher was behind in the Championship until after this decision gave him an advantage again.

Looks like its a case of convenient amnesia for Ferrari Fans. :-)
I understand your frustration, (as a Mclaren fan that was pummeled by the MS-Ferrari combo ) at the 2003 Michelin controversy, however as is the case most of the time with regards to this issue, the facts are completely twisted inorder for you to confirm that there was something sinister going on at the time.

The fact is that the Michelin compounds brought in between Monaco and Italy were illegal, and the Michelin tyres that were brought to these races gave an unfair traction and cornering advantage to all the Michelin shod teams.

If you want to discuss Michelin gate 2003, please open another thread for the same. I will show you with proof how wrong you are in your assessment that the rules were twisted inorder to favor Ferrari. This is about Pirelli.
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:54   #143
BHPian

It was not just McLaren but Williams (who were leading the championships at that point) got affected as well. There was a loophole which Michelin exploited (very common in F1), and the FIA changed the rules mid season to block it.
Lets discuss this privately, you can send me the "proof" there. We are going terribly off topic.

Go Macaaaaa
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:57   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any loophole found by a non-Ferrari team and was banned at that time was always screamed at by losers to the Ferrari-Michael domination as FIA Cheating and Ferrari having an in-house tire company and all that! Its part of the game and its ok.

Its similar to all the whining we heard when Redbull was dominating recently. Why was the EBD banned!? Why was the DDD by BrawnGP banned!? Its sad for the losing team but thats how F1 works, thats not FIA cheating
Old 25th June 2012, 13:22   #145
BHPian

So now the tifosi wont complain about tyres, a Ferrari won. A fantastic drive by Alonso, he is worth every penny.
LH should have let the Williams through though, his tyres were well and truly shot, for a second I thought he had a puncture or something. Strange tyres, no?

BTW, still waiting for the evidence in my mailbox.
Old 25th June 2012, 16:09   #146
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, still waiting for the evidence in my mailbox.
You can keep waiting all you want, or you can open a new thread for it and put up your points. I am not wasting time on an email conversation about this when there is a full fledged forum available for the same.

I am waiting to see what 'evidence' you can come up with about Ferrari being favored in 2003.

Anyway, dont see what is the point of these off topic excursions from time to time.
Old 25th June 2012, 17:00   #147
BHPian

Thar she blows.
I am out of here, we are indeed going off topic.
Cya.
Old 19th July 2012, 10:38   #148
Senior - BHPian

Nice article on tyre management by Gary Anderson :
BBC Sport - Jenson Button's smooth driving style is costing him points
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 10:59   #149
BHPian

Hear Hear !

Todt would like to see Michelin back in F1 | YallaF1.com

Mr.Todt wants to see Michelin back !

Is there pressure building to have multiple tyre providers back ?
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 11:08   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Hear Hear !

Todt would like to see Michelin back in F1 | YallaF1.com

Mr.Todt wants to see Michelin back !

Is there pressure building to have multiple tyre providers back ?
I think this is purely a tactic before Pirelli's contract extension talks begin.
(Just like we suddenly hear about Lotus and Hamilton - which is pure fabrication)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks