Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2012, 20:53   #61
BHPian

Re: 2012 F1 - Hungaroring GP, Budapest

The driver of the race was without doubt good ol Kimi. In fact as far as this year's fight goes, I would not rule out Kimi as the dark horse for an outside chance.

For as long as i can remember, i think this year's mid season break will be the most anticipated one to see who brings the most improvements to the track after the month off. If Lotus find that extra 3 tenths of a second and RBR another 1 tenth.. this years fight will truly be enjoyable.

As for Mercedes.. they're a write off. For some of the biggest names in the sport, they've been so far up their rabbit hole, i doubt they're gonna see any ray of light. To think they're actually carrying the "works" team tag and the AMG badge.. they'd have prolly been better off buying off Lotus instead of Honda. Ever since that fluke Brawn had with the double diffuser.. this car and team has had nothing to show for over 3 years of F1 except for steadily losing ground.

I've lost count of the number of excuses these guys have dished out on their cars.. from tyre wear, to handling characteristics not suiting high speed tracks.. to mid and slow speed corners! I mean come on Mercedes... what the hell do you'll expect?? To design a car that's fast on just 3 out of 20 odd races?? and be happy with that?? While the rest of the field is simply good at most tracks?

Who the heck in Mercedes is responsible for results??? And one more failure for the car today! Awesome! Engine overheating... and no telemetry. Why don't we just make the 7 time champion drive around the track blindfolded?
Old 29th July 2012, 23:06   #62
Senior - BHPian

Lotus has been the most under performing team of 2012.
Took them 11 races to get a result they deserve (the car is actually quick enough for a win). Kimi was flying today and had it not been for him screwing up in qualifying it would have been interesting to see him and Lewis battle it out all the way.

Cars with high mechanical grip doing well.

Spa should be a bit different. Long wait away though.
Old 29th July 2012, 23:33   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Why don't we just make the 7 time champion drive around the track blindfolded?
This debate has been ON from the day Schumi returned to F1, its evident that the controversy theory about his return is indeed a best kept secret, no one knows why and how he did not return to Ferrari.

Dont know what is in store for him in Mercedes AMG GP team, he infact still has it in him to fight at the top, but as its been discussed endlessly - THE RIGHT CAR

Though with the terribly slow car, Schumi has shown what he can do on the given day, but still ............

Lesser spoken the better.

After 11 races, what can we say regarding the WDC title chances. I see Hamilton, Alonso and Kimi, the Trio will keep us entertained, while fighting it out.

A month long F1 holiday, and hope the season throws in some more twists in its second half.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 29th July 2012 at 23:38.
Old 30th July 2012, 07:27   #64
J.B
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
what a mess in schumi's start... car stalled before start... later on drive through penalty for over speeding in pits!! :-(
The car did not stall, MS turned it off. I am not sure he did that because of an overheating engine and thereby prompting another formation lap or there was an error made by Charlie in the lights (amber flashed before red) which made MS think that the start is delayed and therefore he turned off the engine.

Martin Brundle tweeted, MS parked in the wrong grid slot and that prompted another formation lap, in the mean while MS turned off his engine and while pushed over the drainage into the pit lane, picked up a puncture. I am not sure if this was the case. Anyone could clarify?
Old 30th July 2012, 09:51   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B View Post
The car did not stall, MS turned it off. I am not sure he did that because of an overheating engine and thereby prompting another formation lap or there was an error made by Charlie in the lights (amber flashed before red) which made MS think that the start is delayed and therefore he turned off the engine.

Martin Brundle tweeted, MS parked in the wrong grid slot and that prompted another formation lap, in the mean while MS turned off his engine and while pushed over the drainage into the pit lane, picked up a puncture. I am not sure if this was the case. Anyone could clarify?
What I heard in the commentary is that Schumacher felt the car is overheating, and warning lights were coming up, which prompted him to turn-off the car. Well, the commentary was by one Mr. Slater, and hence the chances of accuracy is quite rare.
Old 30th July 2012, 10:03   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B View Post

Weird... it's possible but I doubt it..There are a few reports of that but if it was indeed an error i'd have expected many more media wolves to be howling away to glory.. there are a couple of reports but thats it.. none of them verified.

From what was telecast it did not look unusual and MS was wheeled away from the left lane on the grid indicating he was in his right position. If he did pull into 19th, then the 17th spot ahead of him would have been vacant & a simple glance to the pit wall would have confirmed he was out of place because the marshals who hold the position boards along the pit wall (for drivers to orient themselves with the correct position at the start) would have noticed it and waved a flag & the official with the green flag at the end of the field will not wave and walk away (which he did) if this was the case. Besides the position marshals would also not move the position marker board away from the wall.. and you'd have expected at least one other driver to confirm what happened during their media conferences so i doubt this is true.

Martin Brundle has far too many issues with MS anyway.
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 10:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

A boring race with most of the action around pit stops. Kimi's "clash" with Grojean was the highlight. And I think Maldonado's reputation got him the penalty rather than the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Lotus has been the most under performing team of 2012.
I think, budget-wise, they are probably the most out-performing team of 2012. Several podiums including close 2nd finishes at Bahrain and yesterday. If Kimi can sort out his qualifying problems, he is should have a win this year. With his favorite track up next, who knows!

Mercedes would be the most under-performing team since 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
This debate has been ON from the day Schumi returned to F1, its evident that the controversy theory about his return is indeed a best kept secret, no one knows why and how he did not return to Ferrari.
Mercedes wanted him. Best pal Ross Brawn was at Mercedes and Ferrari had 2 contracted drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
What I heard in the commentary is that Schumacher felt the car is overheating, and warning lights were coming up, which prompted him to turn-off the car. Well, the commentary was by one Mr. Slater, and hence the chances of accuracy is quite rare.
There was a radio transmission from MS just before that. I couldn't really hear it well but commentators seemed to sure about it.
Old 30th July 2012, 11:49   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
Another 'we also ran' from SFI. They seem to have said that no more updates for this year, only fine tuning. Had thought that with additional funding from Sahara, they would do better. Looks almost certain that they are doomed to eighth place this year.
My thoughts exactly. Every race I watch them with bated breathe (mind you, they do quite well in practice and reasonably well in Qualifying) but come away disappointed every race. Extremely disappointed with the team - drivers are competitive enough, I am wondering what is wrong with their race strategists!!
Old 30th July 2012, 13:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Feel we'l see most teams settling for 2 stops, 3 will be a gamble. The teams have now learnt to manage tires quite well and the mediums should last atleast 28 laps if managed correctly.

Mclaren are faster by only half a second.. that's inconsequential it terms of deciding strategy.

Remember, there is only turn 1 which presents a real overtaking opportunity, being on the start-finish straight, use of KERS will also be key to maintain a gap into turn 1
True for Lewis, Jense and Seb had four stops and finally it all matters how much of drive you have in free air. If you are on the tail for a very long time, even cars like Lotus have problems of tyre wear. Seb had a stonking drive, but a little too late.

Lewis has the uncanny ability to pace the car very well and keep people behind safely for a very very long time. Jensen can overtake only in certain circumstances and fades away quietly. Very bad, for a world champion.

The summer break will be crucial and the major teams will make crucial inroads.

Bring it on !! ( No GP for August is BAD )
Old 30th July 2012, 14:16   #70
BANNED

By and large a very boring race, more of a parade and I hope such non-races are not repeated often.
Old 30th July 2012, 14:51   #71
BHPian

Michael Schumacher caused aborted start when he stopped out of position - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Apparently MS didnt park inside his grid "box".. he probably lined up off it or there was some confusion apparently with the engine overheating and he chose to kill it while being out of position. Either ways... this was one completely wrecked race for the team.

Even in qualifying those cars got slower and struggled more as the temperatures went up. At one stage in qualifying, the track temperature was over 44C!! The race was no less ... makes me wonder what the hell is the car good for.. except maybe for wet races.
Old 30th July 2012, 15:52   #72
BHPian

Mercedes really are wasting Schumacher's and Rosberg's career. They seem to have a problem on all fronts, reliability, tyre issues, pit troubles.

Lotus are now definitely the dark horses of 2012, quite literally given their black color. But then again, Renault (Lotus' ex name, and they're pretty much the same team) have always been known to be competitive and have shocked people in the past with Alonso, so it's not new to them.

Force India have been under-performing in the last couple of races, hope they can raise up their game.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
True for Lewis, Jense and Seb had four stops and finally it all matters how much of drive you have in free air. If you are on the tail for a very long time, even cars like Lotus have problems of tyre wear. Seb had a stonking drive, but a little too late.

Lewis has the uncanny ability to pace the car very well and keep people behind safely for a very very long time. Jensen can overtake only in certain circumstances and fades away quietly. Very bad, for a world champion.

The summer break will be crucial and the major teams will make crucial inroads.

Bring it on !! ( No GP for August is BAD )
JB & SV both had 3 stops, not 4.
Teams have understood the tires now so no performance differential resulted in no overtaking. Even if Vettel had 10 more laps he wouldnt have been able to overtake.

For the August break, all factories are shut so no development going on.
Spa is completely different from Hungary so it will give us a different pecking order.

I have a feeling Lotus will be taking off crucial points of Alonso while Lewis and Seb hunt him down.

Hope Ferrari find some pace.
Old 31st July 2012, 09:45   #74
Senior - BHPian

An absolute snooze fest in Hungary. Lewis had the car, but the Lotus had the fastest car on the race day. Pity their shoddy pitstops which dint earn them the win and made it easy for the Mclaren.

The 3 purple laps the Iceman did before his 2nd pitstop was something that Steve Slater missed to see in the race. If you were on live timing, you could have really seen the laptimes of the Iceman and he did so much to jump 2 cars when he did his undercut

Quote:
For the August break, all factories are shut so no development going on.
All factories will be shutdown only for a fortnight over the break!

Quote:
I have a feeling Lotus will be taking off crucial points of Alonso while Lewis and Seb hunt him down.
Kimi's Lotus is still there in the title hunt, he is only 1 point behind Lewis. They are the dark horse of this year, with a car thats fastest on a hot sunday, if they can improve their pitstops and strategies they will be on top of the podium.

Quote:
Hope Ferrari find some pace.
Some major updates are coming to improve the topspeed of the Ferrari. Bryne was there at the Scuderia's straight line test conducted in the past week and some major developments were tested.
Old 31st July 2012, 10:50   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Kimi's Lotus is still there in the title hunt, he is only 1 point behind Lewis. They are the dark horse of this year, with a car thats fastest on a hot sunday, if they can improve their pitstops and strategies they will be on top of the podium.
Dont see him strong enough to fight for the title. Qualifying too has been quite poor.
Quote:
Some major updates are coming to improve the topspeed of the Ferrari. Bryne was there at the Scuderia's straight line test conducted in the past week and some major developments were tested.
They have been testing a few bits but nothing has made it to the car for the races in the past 3 GPs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks