Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 09:13   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Lewis moving to Mercedes next Year. EDIT : Confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
In spite if his precarious contract situation, Hamilton believes the gap to Fernando Alonso in the standings is mainly due to McLaren's mistakes rather than Ferrari's pace, and that gives him encouragement for the rest of the season.

An indictment of McLaren. I feel that this is unwarranted.
To an extent, it is true. The team indeed had its share of problems in the earlier part of the season – especially to get the pitstops right.

Here is the full story: http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ory/88975.html

And a bit more to add to the rumours
http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ory/88963.html
Old 17th September 2012, 09:33   #77
BHPian

Guys few points,

First the link shared by Pavan is dated, 9th Nov 2011. Hence the news of Schumi extending his contract is false.

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/vi...ract_for_2013/

He might end up extending his contract which he will disclose only in mid October. Untill then we can speculate as much as we can.

Now coming to the discussion on Schumi,
The Motivator or
The Technical Expert or
The Rain Master or
The Screwed and Relentless Driver.
All the above are right and no one should ever doubt it.. Period..

Simple Example:-
1) When the current YDT was going on in Magny-Cours, no other current driver went ahead and attended it.
But Schumi went on the second day and spent time with Sam Bird discussion on his feelings on the updates, while also discussing with the engineers and also going through data.

I don't want to get into discussion on how good he is,

2) Just think at 43 and at Spa 2012, Vettel all over the back of him both Red Bull and Merc Mechanics waiting in the pit lane, Vettel want to be ahead of schumi in the pit lane, Schumi's tyres gone, but the way Schumi positioned his car, it was difficult for Vettel to get past him and also difficult for Vettel to keep on track if he dives in the Pit Lane, Result Vettel had to back off and go for another lap, while Schumi divided into the Pits. Though Vettel was able to jump Schumi after the pit stops. the Grit and the Drive is only example of Schumi the Racer.

3) Add to that, i think today Alonso, Massa & Schumi are the top three starters of the line. You will always see these guys making up places.

All the Above 3 are good enough to prove Schumi has still got it and is still FAST.

Regarding Teams, please remember this is a team sport, if Only Sachin could guarantee India's WIN, why would we have Dada, Rahul, Dhoni etc. Similarly Schumi is the additional Niche / Critical factor in the team. This is where he is different to the Hami's, Nico's, Webbers, Massa's.

Few drivers who come in the same league currently are, Vettel, Alonso, Button, Kubica.

While Kimi is another Beast totally. Different character.
Attached Thumbnails
Lewis moving to Mercedes next Year. EDIT : Confirmed!-schumi-ydt-magnycours-1.jpg  

Old 17th September 2012, 10:17   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Now coming to the discussion on Schumi,
The Motivator or
The Technical Expert or
The Rain Master or
The Screwed and Relentless Driver.
All the above are right and no one should ever doubt it.. Period..
Schumi is all of that. The entire team makes the car and the entire pit crew makes the race. The role of the driver is very high both in development and driving. A great driver can drive a mediocre car and still win - Alonso this year and his 2 championships with Renault. People commented that Alonso won his championships driving PIGS! It may well be the case this year.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:18   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
To an extent, it is true. The team indeed had its share of problems in the earlier part of the season – especially to get the pitstops right.

Here is the full story: http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ory/88975.html

And a bit more to add to the rumours
http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ory/88963.html
Ohh, the situation is getting very tricky for Lewis. Though I'm not a fan of Lewis, I hope that he gets drive with a decent team/car next year, hopefully McLaren. He is too good a driver to waste time with lower rung teams.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:50   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Schumi is all of that. People commented that Alonso won his championships driving PIGS! It may well be the case this year.
Yes you are right Alonso is a great Driver too, very similar to Schumi in Wriggling the best from the car.

Quote:
I hope that he gets drive with a decent team/car next year, hopefully McLaren. He is too good a driver to waste time with lower rung teams.
Absolutely want Hami to Stay at McLaren, these games being played regarding switch of teams is more like Game of Bluff. Cant read much till its over.
Not that i am a fan, but love the way he makes the car talk. and love his aggression. Just that he is not very good at man management which the likes of Alonso, Vettel, Button & Schumi are brings him down & another aspect is he must learn to leave and fight another day if he is in trouble. Example Valencia. He should have left Crash Kid more space.

sa_kiran:- dude next time use multi quote

Last edited by rajchetan : 17th September 2012 at 10:51.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:53   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Its about doing the actual dirty work compared to crashing the car entering the pitlane
Oh I get it, by actual dirty work you mean pushing closest WDC contenders off the track. Yes, that Micheal can do. He can even park his car at the last corner in Monaco to prevent his closest rival from getting a shot at pole during qualifying. That must be hard work.

Quote:
Getting worse in terms of points!? Do you even follow the races this year!? They had more better qualifying positions and podium positions this year compared to their previous years. Rosberg was good to run away with a win this year too!
So has Williams with a lesser driver. And Williams had 5 points in 2011 compared to Mercedes' 165.

Sauber and Lotus were both far behind Mercedes last year. One of them is far ahead in 2012 WCC and the other is very close behind. IIRC, Perez in the Sauber has more podiums this year than Nico and Micheal combined.

You could argue that they have been stronger this year based on the lone win and some flashes of pace, but over the 13 races we've had so far this year, they are 5th in WCC, long way away from 4th and with no guarantee that they won't slip any further - whereas last year they were firmly in 4th. That doesn't look like progress in my book.

Quote:
I will stop wasting my time as we are going way offtopic! Have fun!
I am really having fun trying to get you to take off your Micheal-tinted glasses although I know it's a futile attempt. Thanks for the entertainment and see you in the other threads
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 11:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't understand what this argument is about. Is it about who Lewis will replace at Mercedes? or who stands to lose more (Michael or Mercedes) if Lewis replaces him?

Anyway, I like the idea of Perez in a Mclaren very much. So much that I want Lewis to move, possibly to Mercedes to replace Schumacher (yes, Schumacher not Rosberg). Lewis and Rosberg have been team-mates in GP2 and they get along really well. Mclaren wouldn't give Lewis a 1 year extension and Brawn knows that so he has to get him now or much later. It seems he prefers it now - which is why he's preparing Schumi for a management role.

Mclaren will get Perez cheap, as they prepare to pay for their engines. Ferrari seem to be looking elsewhere to keep Alonso happy, a strategy which won't to them any favors for their constructors championship. Enzo Ferrari would not be happy with this situation.
asr245 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 11:27   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Mclaren will get Perez cheap, as they prepare to pay for their engines.
Perez not only costs less, but also comes with America Movil's money. This may well offset the money to be paid to Mercedes for engines. But, he is certainly not a replacement for Lewis.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perez not only costs less, but also comes with America Movil's money. This may well offset the money to be paid to Mercedes for engines. But, he is certainly not a replacement for Lewis.
That's something only future can tell. For me, he certainly seems to have the potential to do so. Good point about money though - but America Movil might clash with team sponsors Vodafone. Not sure how that would work out if such a move was done.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:37   #85
BHPian

"Kein Lewis, Keine motoren" (No Lewis, no engines) - http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-new...campaign=feeds
Old 17th September 2012, 12:19   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Oh I get it, by actual dirty work you mean pushing closest WDC contenders off the track. Yes, that Micheal can do. He can even park his car at the last corner in Monaco to prevent his closest rival from getting a shot at pole during qualifying. That must be hard work.
I knew that would be the last thing every Schumi hater uses to bail out! I am not surprised

He has his records to speak for himself and he has been aptly punished everytime he got desperate! So his records are still not stained!

Quote:
So has Williams with a lesser driver. And Williams had 5 points in 2011 compared to Mercedes' 165.
They are still a long way away from Mercedes. I dont have to tell you what the Williams team was capable of in their best times in F1. After the flash win from Maldo, where are they!?

Where is Mclaren with the fastest car and double world champions in the Constructors!? They are only 23 points away from Ferrari which started the year with the dog of a car and a driver who has been a disaster!

There are more things than what you see on the points table!

Quote:
Sauber and Lotus were both far behind Mercedes last year. One of them is far ahead in 2012 WCC and the other is very close behind. IIRC, Perez in the Sauber has more podiums this year than Nico and Micheal combined.

You could argue that they have been stronger this year based on the lone win and some flashes of pace, but over the 13 races we've had so far this year, they are 5th in WCC, long way away from 4th and with no guarantee that they won't slip any further - whereas last year they were firmly in 4th. That doesn't look like progress in my book.
Where is Sauber even now!? All this after 6 DNFs for Michael so far this season.

Quote:
I am really having fun trying to get you to take off your Micheal-tinted glasses although I know it's a futile attempt. Thanks for the entertainment and see you in the other threads
See you around, Michael-tinted glasses is a myth

Thanks for trying!
Old 17th September 2012, 12:27   #87
Senior - BHPian

Lewis denies the rumours. Thank god

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/motors...cle3904378.ece

Quote:
Speculations about my leaving McLaren are rubbish: Hamilton

British driver Lewis Hamilton on Sunday dismissed reports of his leaving his Formula One team McLaren and joining some other team for the next season as “rubbish” and said he was currently focused on regaining his world championship title after five years.“I have not signed up with anyone. I don’t have a timeline (to sign a new contract). I have to get that (contract) sorted out. People are doing this in the background. Lot of stories are written about it, lot of speculations... Don’t get distracted from this rubbish. I am 100 per cent focused on the world championship,” said the 27-year-old McLaren driver in Mumbai on Sunday.
He was interacting with the Indian media ahead of the Vodafone Speed Fest at the Bandra Kurla Complex, the new and upcoming commercial hub.
Now thats what I call fear! Let that fear prevail!

Quote:
Talking about his fourth visit to India on behalf of sponsors Vodafone, Hamilton said in a lighter vein that he may be a Formula One driver, but he cannot even think of driving in Mumbai roads.
“It’s a crazy thing, the way vehicles are being manoeuvred, I can never drive here,” he said.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:53   #88
Senior - BHPian

Totally

Quote:
He has his records to speak for himself and he has been aptly punished everytime he got desperate! So his records are still not stained!

Was he really aptly punished for running into Damon? Was he aptly punished for running in JV? Sorry, stripping of 2nd position in championship without being discredited of his winnings that season means nothing. He wasn't fighting for 2nd place. 1st is what matters. Not to mention, turning your car into someone can never be safe. If Grosjean could be banned for a race, he should have been gone for at least a few.

His records are un-stained only to those wearing Michael tinted glasses. If Enzo Ferrari was around then, you can bet things would have been very different.

Last edited by asr245 : 17th September 2012 at 12:56.
Old 17th September 2012, 13:08   #89
BHPian

Quote:
That's something only future can tell. For me, he certainly seems to have the potential to do so. Good point about money though - but America Movil might clash with team sponsors Vodafone. Not sure how that would work out if such a move was done.
There were rumors sometime ago about Vodafone ditching McLaren and Coca Cola taking their place on McLaren livery. This may happen irrespective of Lewis moving out, Perez coming in, etc.
Old 17th September 2012, 14:18   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Was he really aptly punished for running into Damon? Was he aptly punished for running in JV? Sorry, stripping of 2nd position in championship without being discredited of his winnings that season means nothing. He wasn't fighting for 2nd place. 1st is what matters.
You were expecting FIA to give him a life sentence in Carandiru Prison!?

FYI, he was disqualified from the championship in 1997!

Most Viewed