Team-BHP - Sébastien Loeb wins 9th WRC crown
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   Sébastien Loeb wins 9th WRC crown (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/127574-s-bastien-loeb-wins-9th-wrc-crown.html)

The great Sébastien Loeb registers his 9th WRC crown this year.

To keep up that level of concentration for days together over a variety of terrain is nothing short of incredible. And to do it for these many years is just astonishing. :thumbs up

I recall the 2003 season when Loeb was asked by Citroen to just bring the car home in the last rally. Loeb let go his fight for the first crown to make sure Citroen win the all important manufacturers' title over Peugeot and Subaru. Or most certainly, it would have been 10 back to back titles for Loeb. What a man!

Last month, Loeb announced his retirement from full-time rallying, stating that he would compete only in selected events during the upcoming season.

Loeb celebrates title number nine with Daniel Elena. Elena and Loeb have won the WRC crown eight times now.
Sébastien Loeb wins 9th WRC crown-loeb11fr12_sv03857.jpg
Loeb wins Rally of Turkey
Sébastien Loeb wins 9th WRC crown-loebday2turkey.jpg
Le Maître
Sébastien Loeb wins 9th WRC crown-2011wrcitalianrally_12.jpg
The tarmac expert. Loeb has won all but 3 WRC rallies on tarmac since 2005
Sébastien Loeb wins 9th WRC crown-optimizedsebastien-loeb-vineyards-rally-germany.jpg
Daniel Elena with Sébastien Loeb
Sébastien Loeb wins 9th WRC crown-026_elena_loeb.jpg

Such a shame that the sport doesn't get the coverage it deserves.

Pictures Courtesy: rally4menu.blogspot.in, sportinglife.com, thaiautomaxx-reloaded.blogspot.in, media.speedcafe.com, insiderally.com

I think he must be quitting because of the lack of challenge. I am not sure but hasn't he won all of them consecutively? But it's not much of a spectator sport. The only time I enjoy it (despite the little coverage it gets) is when they show the view from cockpit camera.

no wonder he is named world's best race car driver ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asr245 (Post 2928223)
I think he must be quitting because of the lack of challenge. I am not sure but hasn't he won all of them consecutively? But it's not much of a spectator sport. The only time I enjoy it (despite the little coverage it gets) is when they show the view from cockpit camera.

'04 to '12. WRC is a brilliant sport and better than most races but sadly it was not given enough glamour as F1 or MGP and people just dont know that it takes more than some electronics aids to drive a rally car.
Lack of competition? there are/were so many very good drivers solberg, ken, marcus, hirvonen, latvala but leob is just far superior and consistent.

Rallying is an extremely interesting sport to watch, unfortunately it's not receiving the kind of hype and attention like Formula 1. Few years ago AXN used to air the wrc series in India, that stopped too.

Sebastian Loeb has to be the most skilled driver the sport of rallying has ever seen. Winning consistently and on tough terrains the world over is a testament to his genius.

I was watching a lot of wrc footage on youtube. Argentina,Mexico,Monte-Carlo and sweden. Unforgiving terrain and even a small mistake doesn't go unpunished. I remember a stage where 3 drivers punctured their tyres in a row near a water crossing owing to concrete blocks. Loeb has been very consistent and watching him through the twists and turns is nothing short of incredible. Another man to look out for is frenchman Sebastien Ogier(VW Polo) who is very impressive as well. There arent many channels covering WRC these days. Its such a lovely sport.

This is really missed opportunities at its heights, they should somehow try and cover such events and make it a "TV friendly" to involve some excitement. Driving is definitely top notch here and this needs to be given some coverage. If ISLE of Mann can be done by why not this. Driving on the limit is really a hair rising experience to watch. Too bad even AXN / DD Sports are not airing this now.

Belated congrats once gain to Loeb! 9 titles is HUGE

And the legend thrashed another record in pikes peak, remember when tajima breaking 10 min barrier is a big thing in '11? well, leob made both tajima's and millen's records look slowest, he completed the run in 8:13.878.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/30/s...h-an-8-13-878/

That's an incredible time.

Sébastien Loeb wins 9th WRC crown-peugeot208t16pikespeakloeb-1.jpg

Watch this amazing full on-board footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EsRyhxa5Tg

source: http://www.redbull.com

Anyone following WRC this season?

I am not sure why my post was clubbed with this. Loeb won his championship last year and there is not one post related to the happenings of WRC this year? This truly shows the lack on interest/knowledge even from us on whats happening in WRC. Sad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by killjoy (Post 3274201)

Hey Killjoy. I have been following the news but have not been able to catch anything on TV over here.

I guess after years of trying Ford had the best opportunity to win this year after Loeb's departure, but VW came from no where to clinch the crown

VW has been more or less consistent this season with Ogier driving for them. The rest of the competition seems to be more or less revolving around trying to match Ogier's timings. But Ford has some good drivers as well. Hoping to catch more of this online sometime.

Its VWs first year in WRC and they took the crown on debut.

No doubt Ojjer is a good driver but its remarkable achievement for VW to design & build a car that competitive in the first season itself

Quote:

Originally Posted by killjoy (Post 3274201)

Very much sir. Each one of them.

Ogier is surprising this season. Hirvonen is having a bad season, he was the only one came close to leob for the last seasons. Sad that Leob's is taking it too easy and doing only selective races. But he is the most loyal driver ever, sticking to Citroen all these years.