Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

View Poll Results: Who will be the 2012 F1 WDC
Vettel 21 45.65%
Alonso 25 54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 12:30   #1
BHPian

Vettel or Alonso : Who's going to win the 2012 Driver's Championship?

An article on who deserves the F1 2012 WDC the most. What do the fans here think?

http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/06943

Who do you think will be the 2012 F1 WDC? Vettel Or Alonso.

What do you predict for Austin and Brazil? How would you like the championship to end?

Marca WDC Calculator- http://www.marca.com/2012/10/29/moto...351521561.html

1. Alonso wins Austin and Brazil - Alonso Champion
2. Alonso wins Austin with Vettel 3rd - Shootout in Brazil. Whoever finishes in front of the other in points wins. If both DNF's or out of points - Vettel is Champion.
3. If Alonso Wins in Austin and Vettel DNf's, Alonso would need a 4th in Brazil to win the championship.
go-pg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 12:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Vettel or Alonso : Who's going to win the 2012 Driver's Championship?

Very useful post. I was searching for these combinations.
1. Very less chance.
2. High possibility
3. A possibility
Old 7th November 2012, 14:48   #3
BHPian

How come no scenarios with Vettel winning Austin?
I guess the only one which could be a possibility is Vettel, Alonso - 1,2 in Austin. Alonso would need to win Brazil (duh!?), Vettel would need to finish, 6th or better to be WDC.

PS:Lovely calculator
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 15:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
How come no scenarios with Vettel winning Austin?
I guess the only one which could be a possibility is Vettel, Alonso - 1,2 in Austin. Alonso would need to win Brazil (duh!?), Vettel would need to finish, 6th or better to be WDC.

PS:Lovely calculator
Well, i did not include any scenarios for Vettel simply because there are too many possibilities for him. Vettel's task is very easy. Win a race and finish no lower than 6th on the other one. Alonso on the other hand has very few. I simply cannot see Alonso taking the title unless he wins both races or Vettel DNF's.

If Vettel wins in Austin, the title is all but over. I do not think we will see a repeat of 2007.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's too close to call. Of course, it is slightly easier for Vettel since he is ahead in the points.

Vettel's advantage over Alonso going into the final two races? Faster car.
Alonso's advantage over Vettel going into the final two races? Reliability.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Heart says Alonso, but the mind says Vettel. I want Alonso to win. He deserves it this year for having the number of points he has with not so good a car. His persistence, perseverance and consistency this year needs to pay off.

But the question of the poll is "Who will be the 2012 F1 WDC?" So am going to stay away from this poll.

Edit: Oh what the heck, Alonso it is.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 17:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vettel or Alonso : Who's going to win the 2012 Driver's Championship?

It will be Vettel. He deserves to win over Alonso and the sports needs Vettel to win. This shows dominance of Redbull and a wonderful driver. Love vettel!!!
Old 7th November 2012, 17:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
It will be Vettel. He deserves to win over Alonso and the sports needs Vettel to win. This shows dominance of Redbull and a wonderful driver. Love vettel!!!
I disagree ! Driving faster car than competition and starting and winning from poles doesn't indicate driver skill.

Vettel's performance in the mid field dog fights has not been as perfect as his pole position starts.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 18:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I disagree ! Driving faster car than competition and starting and winning from poles doesn't indicate driver skill.
It's the points that he collected when he did not have a faster car than the competition that has helped him to capitalize fully when his car came good.

It's the same thing that Alonso is doing/supposed to have done this season without the fastest car.

Difference is that Vettel has a fast car at the end of the year, so everyone is reacting as if he's had it all year long whereas Alonso had a poorly performing teammate at the start of the year, so everyone has it set it their heads that he is performing some miracle in the same car.
Old 7th November 2012, 19:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Am hoping Alonso. He has had to fight a lot harder for his points. His partner has barely shown any form and his car was never as good as the red bulls or mclarens.

Unfortunately vettel is in the drivers seat for this one. He needs to ensure he finishes in the points and does not let Alonso finish too many places ahead of him
Old 7th November 2012, 19:36   #11
MAS
Senior - BHPian

My heart says Alonso, but my Brain says Vettel. Voted for Vettel. Clearly, he has a faster car than Alonso and comparable driving skill as Alonso. He also has luck on his side; last Sunday he started from Pits and ended up 3rd

If Ferrari are able to incorporate the improvements into their car, then there is a fair chance for Alonso to win.
Old 7th November 2012, 19:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Head says Vettel, but I am still hoping that it's Alonso. So Alonso it is.

Edit: 12 podiums out of 18 races in a car which never has been the fastest really does say a lot for Alonso's driving this year.

Last edited by asr245 : 7th November 2012 at 19:57.
Old 7th November 2012, 19:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If that was the case then Alonso would not be openly admitting that he is racing Adrian Newey and not Sebastian Vettel. Also, I would like to hear your reasons on why you think the sports needs Vettel to win?

Edit: The sport does not need 'A' or 'B' to win. It just needs to put on a good show for it to be popular. And to be completely honest I would not call F1 a sport anymore. It is more entertainment these days.

Last edited by vikram_d : 7th November 2012 at 19:54.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 19:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Infact, the sport doesn't need Vettel and Newey. It's no longer entertaining.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 09:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
It's the points that he collected when he did not have a faster car than the competition that has helped him to capitalize fully when his car came good.

It's the same thing that Alonso is doing/supposed to have done this season without the fastest car.

Difference is that Vettel has a fast car at the end of the year, so everyone is reacting as if he's had it all year long whereas Alonso had a poorly performing teammate at the start of the year, so everyone has it set it their heads that he is performing some miracle in the same car.
I respectfully disagree on the first point. Webber was having a measure of Vettel in the first half. What Vettel has done is that he has capitalised on the fastest car (which i dont blame him for). Between Singapore and AbuDhabi, Vettel has scored 115 points out of the 125 points available!. Alonso had one thing going for him through the season till Italy. Rivals making mistakes and unpredictability of the pirelli tires. Now that the teams have got on top of it , the front runners clearly have pulled a gap to the midfield runners. There is no mixup in the grid and you don't see Perez or Grosjean pulling a one stopper and getting on the podium. Alonso would have loved for that to have happened in Abu Dhabi.

OT: MY last point is also a reason why i think Perez is struggling now. He had the odd strategy working for him whenever he qualifies bad. Now the tires last because teams understand and we are not seeing the "Cliff".

Most Viewed