Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2012, 09:58   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2012 F1 - Circuit of the Americas

Certainly one of the best new tracks we have had. And one of the best races of the season.
However the TV coverage needs to improve, in terms of camera angles and focus on right cars. May be it's Star sports which took ad breaks during wrong times, we didn't get to see Raikkonen/Massa fight completely.

Our friend Steve was his usual self confusing Massa for Alonso, Grosjean for Raikkonen.
SilentEngine is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 10:07   #92
Senior - BHPian

I thought I will watch it for a while and then go to sleep. But it was a gripping grand prix. Watched it fully till the end. The McLaren was really fast in race trim.

Alonso keeps the sliver of hope alive till Brazil.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:00   #93
Senior - BHPian

Often thought it was the trophies that the drivers need to surrender to Mclaren, but a cowboy hat!?

2012 F1 - Circuit of the Americas-mclahamiwhitbuttcota2012886x632.jpg
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 11:02   #94
Senior - BHPian

Good grand prix. Turn1 was fun. Hamilton overtaking vetted was nice. Some wheel to wheel racing as well. Considering the form that Hamilton is at, I think the move to Mercedes as a suicide considering they still can't get a race winning car.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:14   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Often thought it was the trophies that the drivers need to surrender to Mclaren, but a cowboy hat!?
Don't underestimate Ron! Anyway, I sincerely wish that Lewis has an amicable exit from McLaren. Who knows, his frustration at Mercedes may push him back to McLaren. He will have enough exit clauses in the Mercedes contract for this move.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:15   #96
Senior - BHPian

Few years back the teams resisted a move to ban the tire warmers stating that the speed differential between cars would be dangerously high (cars coming out of pits v/s those that have done a few laps). I think yesterday's race gave an insight into what the teams were worried about (although the speed differential was not dangerously high).

I think new track + wrong tire choice by Pirelli (in hindsight) made the race interesting.

Good battle for the lead. I do think that first Glock and then NK gave that little bit of luck and opportunity Hamilton needed to pass Vettel. Pretty interesting battles elsewhere as well.

Although Vettel increased his gap to Alonso, now I actually think Alonso is going to win this WDC. He is like Moses with the sea parting before him. In India it was Webber's KERS. In Abu Dhabi, it was Vettel's penalty and Hamilton's retirement. Here in Austin first Button misses Q3, few real and artificial gearbox penalties, Webber's retirement again and Hamilton getting past Vettel. Alonso looks destined to win this one. All that is now left is a Vettel retirement and run to 3rd place in Brazil by Alonso.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:32   #97
Team-BHP Support

Along with Alonso’s grit and determination, Massa is indeed one key contributor for his success this season. I will not be surprised if Domenicali instruct Massa to take out Vettel in Brazil.

Martin Whitmarsh summed up the scenario pretty well "Teams and team principals can decide how they run their programme but it's very clear that they are very focused on Fernando and in fairness it works for Fernando. Lest we forget that when Fernando was with us it was not doing those things that meant that Fernando left us. They've got to make their decisions and I'm not criticising anyone for what they do."
Old 19th November 2012, 11:49   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

What a race! Didn't expect myself to sit up till 2 to watch the entire race on the net, but had to! Having said that, the only question that comes to my mind - what were Mclaren thinking when they decided to let go of Hamilton!!!

Didn't a lot of people say overtaking was going to be next to impossible on this track? Boy, were they wrong!
Old 19th November 2012, 12:05   #99
Senior - BHPian

May be MW should first explain what they did in Monaco'2007 to Lewis
and what they did later on for Lewis against Fernando in 2007.

Bad timing with the comment from MW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Martin Whitmarsh summed up the scenario pretty well "Teams and team principals can decide how they run their programme but it's very clear that they are very focused on Fernando and in fairness it works for Fernando. Lest we forget that when Fernando was with us it was not doing those things that meant that Fernando left us. They've got to make their decisions and I'm not criticising anyone for what they do."
Old 19th November 2012, 12:15   #100
Senior - BHPian

I was slightly surprised with Ferrari's decision to take a gearbox penalty for Massa, especially when 2nd place in WCC is by no means secure. Somehow doesn't gel with team is bigger than driver philosophy. Maybe that applies only to Massa.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:48   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Although Vettel increased his gap to Alonso, now I actually think Alonso is going to win this WDC.
I completely get where you are coming from. It's been like this for many seasons now. The absolute favorite might need only a few points and most often those are the hard ones to get. Whereas the other guy will need a win and will get it.

But Ferrari now needs to beat both RedBull and McLaren. It is going to be mighty tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I was slightly surprised with Ferrari's decision to take a gearbox penalty for Massa, especially when 2nd place in WCC is by no means secure.
What would a team prioritize? A shot at the driver' championship going into the last race or securing '2nd' in the constructors championship? No one gives a damn for the constructors championship. How many of us recall that Ferrari won the 2008 title? It's a real shame, but that's the truth.

And more over, Ferrari did some start simulations with Massa and Alonso side by side on the track. The car on the racing line got a clear advantage where as the car on the left hand side kept slipping its tyres (even in 3rd gear) and was moving backwards. It was a very calculated call.

Forgot to mention about Massa' incredible weekend in the last post. I think he beat Alonso on all counts here. And he was very sporty on the team's priorities. I hope he gives Alonso a real fight in championship next season.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 13:00   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC
Apart from Vergne's end(What happened to him?),
Steering failure. Went into gravel trap. Tie rod broke probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC
Apart from this, I believe the only way Alonso can realistically win Brazil is if Vettel does not finish, correct?
Alonso needs to finish 13 points higher in any case. But yeah, realistically the best bet is Vettel DNF.
Old 19th November 2012, 14:12   #103
BHPian

What a race !!!

In the end, it was Hammy who won and when he is on a song, he will decimate.

Felt really angry with Massa, how can you be so spineless ? But it was nice to see the red cars almost 40 s down on the leaders. Jense's race was great too with some real overtaking moves esp on old man Schum and Kimi. The youngsters need to watch how to give and take respect on the track.

How can LaLiga be telecast throughout the week and still occupy the same slot like F1 at ESPN HD. Someone needs to sue them denying them our rights for quality viewing
Old 19th November 2012, 14:14   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
Alonso needs to finish 13 points higher in any case. But yeah, realistically the best bet is Vettel DNF.
Or for Vettel to do a Hamilton from 2007 (almost happened again in 2008) or an Alonso from 2010. Brazil is going to be funnn!
Old 19th November 2012, 14:33   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm
Felt really angry with Massa, how can you be so spineless ?
Well, its not as if he's got offers lined up if he decides to leave the red camp, has he? He's become the Rubens to Schumi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm
The youngsters need to watch how to give and take respect on the track.
Agree. Respectful, yet millimeter perfect. Kimi vs Button was fantabulous! Can't say the same for Schumi though. He was the same old, staying put in his position, not giving way to Jenson.
OTOH, Senna vs Maldonado was hair-raising as well, with their wheels almost touching. And Pastor managed to stay away from incidents as well.

Most Viewed