Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2013, 09:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Yamaha, Dakar and 2013

The turning point came in 2005. First among the amateurs, (13th overall), David Casteu caught the attention of the KTM team, which was in a position to offer him a chance. The native of Nice made the most of the opportunity on the 2006 Dakar and more than lived up to his end of the deal in being a team support rider (8th). In 2007, he finished better than team leader, Isedre Esteve: 2nd behind Despres, Casteu's consistency paid dividends. There was one more step to climb on the podium to confirm his status, but then came a detour on his route to Dakar glory. David got involved with French constructor Sherco, which set off on the Dakar adventure perhaps too soon. Still a contender for the podium and even the win, the all-new Yamaha recruit, slowed by a variety of problems, finished far from his ambitions in 2012 (41st), but he is very eager to reverse the situation on the route to Santiago.

His words before he started 2013
“This is my 10th Dakar, and I will wear the number 10 tabard! I've had quite a few struggles in the last three editions, so this phase of things coming in threes is now behind me; I have managed to prove to everyone that I am a proper Dakar rider. Last year I was 4th five days from the end, when the engine broke. It is certain that since the switch to the 450cc there are more riders capable of showing well, because the bikes are lighter and easier to ride. Therefore, the young riders push us to take chances. But my goal will be to stay consistent, and to make the most of opportunities when they arise. In any case, I am here to score a good result…and ride with a broad smile.”

Team Casteu Yamaha Racing France rider David Casteu’s Dakar came to a disappointing end yesterday after a collision with a cow during the stage. Casteu received a shoulder injury and also damage to the bike. He was able to continue after having his shoulder strapped however damage to the fuel tank caused by the crash caused a loss of fuel, eventually resulting in a forced retirement some 30km from the end of the stage.

The show was really great David!!! It was all about the luck that went wrong... amazing performance

RenuKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 09:35   #17
BHPian

Yamaha riders back on attack!!!

Today’s 11th stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally proved to be another impressive one for Yamaha Netherlands Verhoeven Team rider Frans Verhoeven. The day’s action took the riders through more sand dunes, then on to pass the eastern slopes of the Andes mountains. The Dutchman was on top form on his YZ450F based machine, attacking the hugely varied conditions of the 191km stage (shortened from an original 220km by organisers) from La Rioja to Fiambalá, finishing in 11th to jump an impressive five places up the overall standings and break solidly into the top ten, from 13th to eighth.

Fellow Yamaha rider Olivier Pain also made today count and gained valuable ground. The French rider moved up two places in the overall standings from ninth to seventh. Yamaha Racing France rider Pain wrapped up today’s stage in 14th after a solid ride. Michael Metge continues to bring up the rear, just inside the top 20 in 19th position.

“Right from the beginning it was very difficult today,” commented Frans Verhoeven. “There were waterholes, broken edges, it was a real mess. It was difficult to ride but also difficult to navigate. At one point I thought I was on the right track, but soon I found out it was completely wrong. Overall some very tricky circumstances! I rode with Alain Duclos along the way; together we tried to find a waypoint at kilometer 47. It was well really hidden, I’m sure a lot of riders went in the wrong direction there. There were ten guys in front of me and I saw ten tracks going different ways. I moved on by myself and entered the riverbeds. We had rain on the way to the special and the special itself was wet as well. There was a lot of mud and water in normally dry riverbeds. The water had broken the edges, which made it even more difficult. The Dakar is not over yet. It began with some hard stages and it will be difficult until the end. I’ll try to make the best of it.”

La Rioja to Fiambala total distance 483 km, timed special 221 km (reduced to 191 km)

2013 Dakar Rally Stage 11 Results:

11. Frans Verhoeven, NED (Yamaha) 3:16:17
14. Olivier Pain, FRA (Yamaha) 3:21:35
27. Michael Metge, FRA (Yamaha) 3:41:46

2013 Dakar Rally Overall Standings after Stage 11:

7. Oliver Pain (Yamaha) 34:55:41
8. Frans Verhoeven (Yamaha) 35:03:06
19. Michael Metge (Yamaha) 36:31:52
Old 17th January 2013, 14:27   #18
BHPian

Thank you so much for keeping us updated with whats happening. Is any sport channel broadcasting it live in India?
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 10:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Thank you so much for keeping us updated with whats happening. Is any sport channel broadcasting it live in India?
Thank you very much Mash Mash :-)

We get a brief news about the Dakar on ESPNStar at 19:00 hours
Old 18th January 2013, 10:58   #20
BHPian

Yamaha Netherlands Verhoeven Team rider Frans Verhoeven made it count today, expertly dispatching the 12th stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally to take a much deserved victory aboard his 450 Yamaha machine. The Dutch rider excelled on a stage that over 319km contained sand, stones, rocks, rivers and dunes. In a touching tribute Verhoeven dedicated his first stage victory of the 2013 Dakar to former Yamaha France Dakar legend Jean-Claude Olivier who tragically passed away last week. The result places Verhoeven in seventh position and closes the gap to fellow Yamaha rider Olivier Pain who came home in tenth position today and moves up to sixth, less than two minutes ahead of the Dutchman.

Marcos Patronelli took another second place finish today, the Yamaha Racing Argentina rider finishing just one minute behind the leader. His result on the Yamaha quad keeps him nearly two hours in the lead as the Dakar draws closer to the final stages.

Rodney Faggotter in action

Olivier Pain

“We would not be here without Jean-Claude,” Frans Verhoeven explained. “JCO has been an inspiration for us, ever since the time Stéphane Peterhansel won for Yamaha. Therefore this victory is dedicated to his memory. My Yamaha 450 did not have one small hic up today. The potential of this bike is amazing. Today compensates for the trouble I had in the first week. I was able to keep the pace high for all of the stage. Immediately from the beginning I started to hunt down Faria, who had started a minute in front of me, and Duclos, who had three minutes. I rode like a motocross rider. Before the tank stop at kilometer 169 I had overtaken Faria and was on Duclos’ tail. It was one of those days when you know exactly what you do and where you are. The perfect day and a little bit more. I made no mistakes and was in super balance. Everything I did worked out the best possible way.”

2013 Dakar Rally Stage 12 Results

Cordoba to La Rioja: timed special 319 km

1. Frans Verhoeven, NED (Yamaha) 3:49:15
2. Ruben Faria, PRT (KTM) 3:50:53
3. Joan Barreda, ESP (Husq) 3:52:16
4. Alain Duclos FRA (Sherco) 3:52:32
5. Helder Rodrigues, PRT (Honda) 3:52:50
6. Jakub Przygonski POL (KTM) 3:53:22
7. Francisco Lopez CHL (KTM) 3:54:02
8. Gerard Farres ESP (Honda) 3:54:17
9. Javier Pizzolito ARG (Honda) 3:54:37
10. Olivier Pain FRA (Yamaha) 3:54:47
17. Michael Metges FRA (Yamaha) 4:00:29

2013 Dakar Rally Overall Standings after Stage 12:

1. Cyril Despres (KTM) 37:32:34
2. Ruben Faria (KTM) 37:38:12
3. Chaleco Lopez (KTM) 37:46:03
4. Ivan Jakes (KTM) 37:52:47
5. Juan Pedrero (KTM) 38:28:18
6. Olivier Pain (Yamaha) 38:50:28
7. Frans Verhoeven (Yamaha) 38:52:21

8. Helder Rodrigues (Honda) 38:57:43
9. Javier Pizzolito (Honda) 39:06:19
10. Jakub Przygonski (KTM) 39:15:36
15. Rodney Faggotter (Yamaha) 39:52:35
19. Michael Metge (Yamaha) 40:52:21

Last edited by RenuKumar : 18th January 2013 at 11:00.
RenuKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 19:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
Last year, with the limitation of 450cc to the motorcycles, Yamaha gained 2nd Position.. This year, the results will be better!!
Helder Rodrigues was showing class leading performance (2012 2nd Position) but unfortunately he resigned Yamaha and joined Honda :-(
If I remember, in 2012, Yamaha was in 3rd position and not 2nd.
Six of the top positions in Quads were also held by Yamaha. (Results)

In 2013, the first five positions were swept by KTM (Results) and in Quads, the first three positions are held by Yamaha and the next one for them is 8th.

So overall, this year has been worse than last year for Yamaha.

(Disclaimer: I don't have anything against Yamaha. Just shared the final results.)
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 06:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
If I remember, in 2012, Yamaha was in 3rd position and not 2nd.
Thats right... sorry for the typo :-(
Old 22nd January 2013, 06:09   #23
BHPian

Dakar 2013 is over and it is a mixed bag for Yamaha.

In Quad segment Yamaha riders did extremely well taking all the podium positions with the all time favorite Marcos Patronelli leading by almost 2 hours. In second position was Ignacio Nicolas Casale followed by Polish rider Rafal Sonic.

"It has been spectacular,” said Marcos Patronelli. “This Dakar was like a dream come true for me. Everything went smoothly from the first day in Peru to the last in Chile. I'm surprised at how the stages went. It was all thanks to the team, which worked every single night. I'd like to thank Yamaha Argentina and Yamaha France, which provided me every day with a quad that didn't miss a beat. This victory means a lot to me. My brother won last year, but I ran into trouble. I was here to get my own back on myself. Ale [Alejandro] and I don't compete with each other. I wanted to prove myself that I could win again. It was a perfect Dakar from the beginning to the end. It's the first time that everything's played out so well."

Yamaha, since Dakar started the Quad segment is very strong and has been the winner of all the seasons. Dakar 2013 was another milestone.

Looking at the start and lead till Stage 9, Yamaha Riders Olivier Pain and David Casteu enjoyed the Dakar with a good lead. However, it was the misfortune that led both their bikes crash. While David Casteu suffered dis-located shoulder and retired, Olivier Pain had few stitches on his arm but continued with a strong will.

Yamaha Racing France’s Olivier Pain completed the final stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally in eighth place to hold on just outside the top five in sixth in the final standings. The Frenchman’s Dakar has been a roller-coaster, leading the rally for five stages before mixed luck dropped him down the standings and required a fight back.

Fellow Yamaha rider Frans Verhoeven finished the final stage in 11th position to secure a top ten place of ninth in the final standings. The Yamaha Netherlands Verhoeven Team rider has also experienced the highs and lows of the Dakar, after an impressive start fighting with the front riders Verhoeven was hit by bad luck and forced into the catch up game. Catch up he did, taking an impressive stage win on Thursday and completing the 2013 Dakar in ninth position. Today’s final stage saw him denied eighth in the final standings due to a lucky escape when he missed a turn and dropped his bike into a gorge. Verhoeven was able to continue, securing his final position of ninth.

Australian rider Rodney Faggotter was extremely good at his second Dakar attempt and finished in an impressive 14th position. He had come with an intention to finish the Dakar within 20th position and he exceeded his expectations. Pain’s French team mate Michael Metge had a late surge, the Yamaha Racing France rider wrapped up the last stage in 14th to take 18th overall.

Looking forward for the glorious Dakar 2014!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks