Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 10:00   #1
BHPian

Yamaha, Dakar and 2013

All Yamaha fans out there, I am going to give complete updates on Dakar Rally 2013.

Last year, with the limitation of 450cc to the motorcycles, Yamaha gained 2nd Position.. This year, the results will be better!!

Helder Rodrigues was showing class leading performance (2012 2nd Position) but unfortunately he resigned Yamaha and joined Honda :-(

Please check the below link for more details :-)

http://www.yamahafreaks.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=70

RenuKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 22:21   #2
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Re: Yamaha, Dakar and 2013

It's T-5 days to Dakar. This year its going to be brutal. One of my acquaintances ran for Dakar last year and finished it. He narration to it was most amazing and seemingly mesmerizing. Beautiful video by the way. Thanks for sharing.
Chanderjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:44   #3
BHPian

It is T-3 now :-)

Yamaha Motor Europe and Yamaha Motor Netherlands have teamed up with the Dutch Dakar rider Frans Verhoeven to challenge for the 2013 and 2014 Dakar Rally. The ‘Yamaha Netherlands Verhoeven’ team will be competing with an officially supported Yamaha 450 Four Stroke machine, entered through the famous Yamaha Motor France rally structure, and are aiming to complete the world’s toughest off road motorcycle challenge within the top five positions. Rider and team owner Frans Verhoeven will be supported by his own experienced staff along with a dedicated Yamaha Motor France mechanic for full technical support.

Yamaha has a strong record of success in the grueling Paris-Dakar Rally and claimed the first ever Dakar victory in 1979 with Cyril Neveu aboard the Yamaha XT 500, going on to repeat the success the following year in 1980. Success continued with the legendary Super Ténéré, taking an impressive six victories with Stéphane Peterhansel from 1991-1993, (in 1991 the Ténéré took the top three podiums spots) 1995, 1997 and 1998. The move to South America over the last four years has also delivered success including Hélder Rodrigues winning 2 stages and finishing third in last years Dakar, and on four wheels with Yamaha taking victory in the special quad bike category.

Verhoeven entered his first Dakar in 2005 and achieved his best result in 2009 with an eighth place finish. The Dutch endurance rider has claimed three stage victories and recorded two top three stage finishes in 2012.

“We are confident that our goal is realistic and can be achieved,” commented Yamaha Motor Europe Racing Manager Laurens Klein Koerkamp. “The Dakar is the toughest off road motorcycle race in the world, we want to enter and compete with the best and its fantastic that with joined efforts of several organizations within the Yamaha group we have been able to make this happen. The experience and ability of Frans are essential ingredients to this project. .’’

“I believe this combination has real winning potential,“ said Yamaha Motor Netherlands President Arno Sunnotel. “The Dakar is a key event for Yamaha and the ultimate test for our 450 machine. For our market it’s also great to have a Dutch rider in the highest ranks of the competition.”

“I have proved I can win stages and I could have been in the top five on several occasions if it had not been for bad luck and mechanical issues,” commented Frans Verhoeven. “Now with the reliability and speed of the Yamaha 450 I believe we can finally show our true potential.”

Last edited by RenuKumar : 2nd January 2013 at 10:46.
RenuKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:31   #4
BHPian

Scrutineering started as scheduled at 10 AM today at the Magdalena site which continues to fill up. For this first day of welcoming riders, drivers and their vehicles, it is by and large the South Americans who will be present. This year, competitors from the three host countries account for a quarter of the vehicles enrolled, with the honours going to Argentina and its 70 participants who take 2nd place behind France in terms of numbers registered to take part. Today, approximately 170 vehicles will be subjected to the meticulous inspections conducted by the race officials. They will be examining in particular those belonging to Brazilian Guillerme Spinelli, who is giving a debut to a revamped Mitsubishi 4x4, newcomer Gabriela Gardulski, the second woman competitor to enroll this year alongside Catalonia's Laia Sanz, but also Marcos Patronelli, who will be attempting to reacquaint himself with triumph in the quad category after the two victories of his brother Alejandro in 2011 and 2012.
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:01   #5
BHPian

Having spent 21 days at sea crossing the Atlantic and passing through the Panama Canal, the Yamaha Netherlands Verhoeven Team’s Yamaha YZ450F four-stroke based machine and support equipment for Dutch rider Frans Verhoeven has arrived in South America and is undergoing technical inspection with 195 fellow two-wheeled competitors on the beaches of Lima, capital city of Peru. The team is set and prepared for the first event of the 2013 Dakar Rally, the special stage at Chorillos on January 5th.

Frans Verhoeven, who has recently signed a two-year contract with Yamaha Motor Europe and Yamaha Motor Netherlands for the 2013 and 2014 Dakar Rally, is no stranger to the competition. His first Dakar experience was 2005, the Dutchman gradually increasing his experience to finish a career best of eighth in 2009. Verhoeven can also claim three stage victories along with two top three finishes in the 2012 Rally. Yamaha can claim a special place in the Dakar story, having won the first two ever Rallies in 1979 and 1980 with the Yamaha XT500 and rider Cyril Neveu. The manufacturer has gone on to claim a total of eight titles from 1979 to the present and is optimistic of at least a top five finish with Verhoeven on-board.

In preparation for the 2013 Dakar and to familiarize himself with the Yamaha YZ450F bike and support team, Verhoeven entered the Libya Rally du Maroc in October 2012. The ‘training exercise’ proved extremely successful with rider, machine and staff all performing above expectation, taking fourth in the final standings.

“The main goal with the Libya Rally in October was to get to know the Yamaha 450 and work on its set up,” said Frans Verhoeven. “I was really impressed with its speed and the smoothness of the engine. It was my first time riding with this kind of engine management control and traction control so it took some understanding but my confidence has really grown. It was a pleasure working with the mechanics, we understand each other very well and most importantly we had no crashes and no technical problems! I think we have the potential to do really well in the rally, the potential of the bike is great and the support from Yamaha is essential for success.”

Frans Verhoeven will not be the only rider representing Yamaha in the rally. Yamaha Racing France Yamalube riders Olivier Pain and Michael Metge will be putting their YZ450Fs to the test in South America alongside David Casteu riding for the Casteu Adventure Team and former stage winner David Frétigné riding the WR450F for the Yamaha Racing France Power Bike Team. A total of 49 Yamaha machines will line up to contest the 2013 Dakar Rally, but not all will be two-wheeled. 2010 Dakar Quad Champion Marcos Patronelli will be fighting for victory on his modified Yamaha YF700M machine for a combined Yamaha Motor France and Yamaha Argentina entry alongside defending World Cup Rally Quad Women’s Champion Camellia Liparoti, also on the YF700M quad.

“Yamaha has a real pedigree in the Dakar Rally,” commented Yamaha Motor Europe Racing Manager, Laurens Klein Koerkamp. “Our production machinery has been there fighting at the front, from the very first rally with Cyril Neveu in 1979 to our last victory in 1998 with Stéphane Peterhansel. We are confident that with our official support and technical experience through Yamaha Motor France, the combination of riders Verhoeven, Pain, Metge, Casteu and Frétigné and the modified YZ450F and WR450F can challenge for at least top five results.”
Old 5th January 2013, 09:44   #6
BHPian

After the three days of technical and administrative scrutineering, the competitors on the Dakar are ready to get to grips with the 8,500 kilometers of roads, tracks and dunes that they must tackle between Lima and Santiago. The rivals of Cyril Despres and Stephane Peterhansel are in the starting-blocks…

It is taking part that counts, as the old adage goes. This is true on the Dakar, where a large majority of the riders and drivers would already be happy with the perspective of merely reaching Santiago in two weeks' time. However, it is absolutely not the case for a handful of champions who live for victory. It was this group that attracted most of the attention of the spectators who came to see the last day of scrutineering in the coastal district of Magdalena Del Mar. There is no need to wonder about the state of mind of Cyril Despres, who unambiguously replied to the question of how he imagines the final podium after 8,500 kilometres: “I see myself standing on the top and the others can do what they please!” After throwing down the gauntlet, the four times winner also defended the idea that this total focus on his own performance is one of the keys to his success. Furthermore, his rivals were singing from a similar hymn sheet, as shown, for example, by the words of Joan Barreda, his closest rival in the Rally of Morocco several weeks ago: “I'm feeling Zen. Marc Coma's withdrawal doesn't change the outlook. The aim is still to win. All that's changed is that there is one less rival. There's still work to be done to get there”. Francisco “Chaleco” Lopez, always “just happy to be at the start” hid his ambitions behind a smile, whereas David Casteu, who recharged his batteries by hiking in the Moroccan Atlas Mountains before arriving in Peru, feels “moved to be starting out on my 10th Dakar. I've already given sufficient proof that I know how to finish this race. What I want is to enjoy a good ride!” In the language of the biker from Nice, this means being a candidate for the final podium.
Old 7th January 2013, 09:17   #7
BHPian

2 stages results updated for Motorcycles and Quads!!

http://www.yamahafreaks.com/viewtopi...=32&t=70&p=227

Yamaha is unstoppable in Quad segment!!!
Old 8th January 2013, 09:27   #8
BHPian

Compared to 2nd Stage, David Casteu has jumped from 4th to 5th Position, Olivier Pain has moved up from 13th Position to 4th Position, Frans Verhoeven has moved up from 18th Position to 7th Position, David Fretigne has jumped down from 21st position to 44th and Australian Rider Rodney Faggotter has moved up from 29th Position to 20th

1 DESPRES (FRA) KTM
2 LOPEZ (CHL) KTM
3 ULLEVALSETER (NOR) KTM
4 PAIN (FRA) YAMAHA
5 CASTEU (FRA) YAMAHA
6 ISRAEL ESQUERRE (CHL) HONDA
7 VERHOEVEN (NLD) YAMAHA
8 VILADOMS (ESP) HUSQVARNA
9 SVITKO (SVK) KTM
10 PRZYGONSKI (POL) KTM
11 FARIA (PRT) KTM
12 BOTTURI (ITA) HUSQVARNA
13 CURTIS (ZAF) KTM
14 GOUËT (CHL) HONDA
15 RODRIGUEZ (CHL) HONDA
16 GONÇALVES (PRT) HUSQVARNA
17 JAKES (SVK) KTM
18 BARREDA BORT (ESP) HUSQVARNA
19 CASELLI (USA) KTM
20 FAGGOTTER (AUS) YAMAHA

Also follow on:

http://www.facebook.com/yamahafreaksindia
RenuKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 23:05   #9
BHPian

2013 Dakar.... day four...

YAMAHA RIDERS ADVANCE TO OVERALL 1ST AND 2ND PLACE

In a breathtaking stage 4, Yamaha riders Olivier Pain and David Casteu took 1st and 2nd place respectively.

Australian rider Rodney Faggotter advanced from 20th place to 17th place.

Marcos Patronelli is extremely consistent with his 1st place and he continued his lead on day 4 in the Quad Category. Rafal Sonik advanced from 4th position to 3rd position.

http://www.facebook.com/yamahafreaksindia
Old 9th January 2013, 06:21   #10
BHPian

Day 4 updates

Old 9th January 2013, 06:51   #11
BHPian

Another surprising rider is the Australian Rodney Faggotter.

Rider Number: 123

Stage 4: 17th Overall
Stage 3: 20th Overall
Stage 2: 29th Overall
Stage 1: 64th Overall

Stage 4 was the most difficult stage and he has earned a respectable 13th position and is strongly surging ahead
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha, Dakar and 2013-rodney-faggotter.jpg  

Old 11th January 2013, 09:04   #12
BHPian

Dakar 2013 - Stage 6

The two French Yamaha riders Olivier Pain and David Casteu were unable to repeat their success of yesterday’s one-two finish in stage five. Yamaha Racing France’s Pain came home in tenth, keeping his overall lead in the standings by over two minutes. Casteu finished today’s stage in 15th position, dropping down one place in the overall standings to third as a result.

What we now have for the podium is a nail biting fight. 4 Yamaha Riders in the top 20 are consistently performing well everyday.

Yamaha Netherlands Verhoeven Team rider Frans Verhoeven continues to move back up the time sheets as the Rally progresses. Verhoeven completed today’s 438km special stage in seventh place, just under seven minutes from the front rider. The result moves the Dutchman up the overall standings to 21st.

Old 11th January 2013, 23:26   #13
BHPian

The Top 5 Yamaha Riders of the Dakar Rally 2013!!

With the dusk in Argentina; closing the 7th day of the Dakar Rally 2013, I proudly update the OVERALL top 5 Yamaha riders this year.

Top Left: David Casteu is currently leading in 3rd Position

Top Middle: Olivier Pain is currently LEADING THE DAKAR RALLY IN 1ST PLACE for the 4th consecutive day!!!

Top Right: Michael Metge, a French Rider with his consistency has reached the 24th Place on the 7th day

Bottom Left: Rodney Faggotter, strong and consistent rider from Australia is on the 17th place

Frans Verhoeven: The official rider of Yamaha is spreading happiness to his fans with the solid come-back and he is currently in 18th place.
Old 13th January 2013, 10:37   #14
BHPian

Dakar Rally 2013, Stage Eight - French rider David Casteu Takes Lead from Olivier Pain

The eighth day of the 2013 Dakar Rally brought a switch of Yamahas at the top of the standings with Team Casteu Yamaha Racing France rider David Casteu took over from Yamaha Racing France rider Olivier Pain as the overall front runner. The day’s riding was altered at the last minute due to bad weather and heavy rains, the first of two special stages of the day cancelled as a result. The afternoon special proved to be tough for the Yamaha riders, Casteu completing the challenging stage in sixth place, 14 minutes form the front rider. The result was enough to promote him to first place in the overall standings, replacing fellow Frenchman Olivier Pain at the top.

David Casteu: A huge navigational success! I'm over the moon because it's difficult to ride at the front while attacking and keeping your bearings, navigating... I was able to keep my cool while everyone else was spinning around, but I stayed focused and was the first across the line... And leading the Dakar during the rest day, that's terrific!

Olivier Pain: "A terribly difficult day. Well, difficult, it's rather that we made a mistake. I was thinking that I had to stay focused and, right on cue, I made a mistake. I don't understand, everything seemed fine. Chaleco went into a valley a bit too early. He came back just in front of me. We were doing well. And then, I don't know. We should have turned a bit more to the right but it was difficult with the rain. That's the way it is. I was the big loser. Of course, I knew it wasn't all wrapped up yet; but there will be further surprises during the second week. The aim is not to get hurt and to make it to Santiago. But there's still much to go..."

Yamaha Netherlands Verhoeven Team rider Frans Verhoeven had a less than perfect day, managing to maintain his 18th place in the overall standings after completing today’s riding in 41st, little over 24 minutes from the front.

Previous Standings leader Pain had his most disappointing stage of the Rally so far, wrapping up the eighth day in 77th position, 37 minutes adrift from the front and dropping to fifth overall.

Yamaha Racing Argentina quad rider Marcos Patronelli took another successive second place stage finish today, maintaining his stronghold on the overall standings, now over one hour and 20 minutes ahead of his closest rival.

Last edited by RenuKumar : 13th January 2013 at 10:42.
Old 15th January 2013, 08:45   #15
BHPian

After a day of rest yesterday the refreshed riders were back in the action today for stage nine of the 2013 Dakar Rally. Unfortunately for Yamaha Racing France rider Olivier Pain and Team Casteu Yamaha Racing France rider David Casteu it proved to be a tough day with plenty of spills. Casteu fell several times whilst tackling the 593km special stage. The Frenchman was able to continue, dropping several places in the overall standings however to sixth. Casteu’s day was one he will want to forget, a collision with a cow early on the stage dislocating his shoulder and sustaining some damage to his bike which compromised the remainder of his stage.

There is a good news too...

Dutch Yamaha Netherlands Verhoeven Team rider Frans Verhoeven continues to move steadily up the overall standings. Verhoeven climbed another three places to 15th by the end of today’s special stage.

Michael Metge has moved up 2 positions to 23rd position!!!

On the other hand, Yamaha Quad team is unstoppable with all the podium positions.

Marcos Patronelli continues to lead in the quad category with over 1. Ignacio Nicolas Casale is currently in 2nd position and Rafal Sonik in 3rd position!!!

Tomorrow the Yamaha riders will rise to the challenge again, riding 357km from Cordoba to La Rioja.

Last edited by RenuKumar : 15th January 2013 at 09:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks