Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:15   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Game over for Ferrari & Lotus! The championship is going to be a straight fight between the Redbull & Mercedes.

Goes well with Hamilton's new found hope of winning this year's championshp! This sport is becoming a farce
Not sure I understand anach...
If they will revert to 2012 build wouldn't red bull be the one to benefit most of all. If I remember correctly Merc was seriously eating its tyres in 2012. If they revert red bull should benefit the most of all. In 2012 RBR, McLaren were king in tyre management but since The McLaren is inherently flawed this year I doubt much difference will come to them.
Reverting to 2012 will hurt Ferrari and Lotus(& now merc) who are benefitting from better tyre deg this year. I think anachronix its possible they will keep the compound as this year and only change the innards i.e. the faulty bit causing the tyre bursts. I could be wrong....

Last edited by Maky : 2nd July 2013 at 23:27.
Old 3rd July 2013, 08:56   #317
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2013 Formula One Season

Let's see who can make the most out of this. Race drivers will be allowed in Silverstone young driver test

Formula 1 race drivers will be allowed to take part in the forthcoming young driver test as an emergency measure to help Pirelli overcome its tyre difficulties.

Mercedes wont be running their cars for the test as part of its punishment.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:24   #318
Senior - BHPian

So the Mercedes punishment is looking more like an adjustment. They are only given a reprimand and banned from YDT. Then FIA change the testing rules to allow race drivers in the test and Mercedes graciously agree to still not run in the test as part of their "punishment". So Mercedes got off the testgate with their ego intact and other teams are now getting their own tire test. Happy faces all around, I guess!
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:59   #319
Team-BHP Support

Mr. Mallya thinks tyres are not a major safety issue!!!
http://en.espnf1.com/forceindia/moto...ry/114125.html
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:37   #320
Senior - BHPian

Pirelli confirm Kevlar switch

Kevlar is a type of reinforced, flexible fibre that is particularly resistant to punctures, while the operating temperature of the tyre is reduced by about 10C, which could affect competitiveness between cars.

The above is what will matter to Ferrari, Lotus, Force India and any other team which has been able to manage the tyres well this season.
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:51   #321
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if I get why Ferrari or Lotus would suffer.

Lotus & Sauber managed their tires very well last year. If the operating temperatures are set to drop by 10C, Mercedes might suffer the most. They had a problem of eating up the tires last year and this year they have been the quickest in qualifying as they are able to turn "on" the tires real quickly (often going back in the race as a result). Ferrari and Lotus seemed to have a problem turning "on" the tires, so lower operating temperatures could benefit them.
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:03   #322
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Mr. Mallya thinks tyres are not a major safety issue!!!
http://en.espnf1.com/forceindia/moto...ry/114125.html

I don't think it's a big deal either. It's always better to reduce risk but I don't see why it's such a major safety issue. All they need is newer tires or smoother chicanes and it shouldn't arise again.

Also, I Seriously don't see why a team principle is being ostracized by those who commented on that article. Mallya knows much more about the subject of motorsport and motorsport safety than anyone commenting on it.

As Raikkonen wonderfully said about this incident, risk is all part of the game. You have no business in motorsport if you are concerned about your safety, regardless of how much F1 safety tech has advanced.
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:53   #323
Senior - BHPian

More to do with getting heat into the tyres which has been a struggle for Ferrari & Lotus from the time Pirellis came into the sport. The 2013 tyres suited them better as they were softer and they could get the tyres upto the operating temparature for the race more than they did in qualifying. Now, with the kevlar construction the tyre's operating window is going to come down and the Lotus & Ferrari would need more time to get the tyres to work.

You could see the Lotus & Ferrari fall back already in Silverstone with rumors that kevlar layer was found in burst tyres of the Sauber & Mclaren. Lotus & Ferrari are going to suffer a lot more in Q when the kevlar compound is introduced and its going to get worse when the 2012 tyres come back in Hungary. I am hoping Ferrari could do something about this!

This also puts Mercedes in the right spot as they already tested the tyres that Pirelli was planning to introduce for this year and next year in the secret 1000KM test in Barcelona. Its becoming a farce as FIA knows what Mercedes gained and let them off with a reprimand and no dinner party with young drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Not sure I understand anach...
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Not sure if I get why Ferrari or Lotus would suffer.
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:02   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I don't think it's a big deal either. It's always better to reduce risk but I don't see why it's such a major safety issue. All they need is newer tires or smoother chicanes and it shouldn't arise again.

Also, I Seriously don't see why a team principle is being ostracized by those who commented on that article. Mallya knows much more about the subject of motorsport and motorsport safety than anyone commenting on it.

As Raikkonen wonderfully said about this incident, risk is all part of the game. You have no business in motorsport if you are concerned about your safety, regardless of how much F1 safety tech has advanced.
Well, opinions can vary when it comes to safety, and I agree with Kimi’s comment that is risk is all part of the game. Mallya maybe an experty in the subject of motorsport, but I don’t think the tyres issue is as light as how he described - "Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:20   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
More to do with getting heat into the tyres which has been a struggle for Ferrari & Lotus from the time Pirellis came into the sport. The 2013 tyres suited them better as they were softer and they could get the tyres upto the operating temparature for the race more than they did in qualifying. Now, with the kevlar construction the tyre's operating window is going to come down and the Lotus & Ferrari would need more time to get the tyres to work.
From that article Maky posted

"Kevlar is a type of reinforced, flexible fibre that is particularly resistant to punctures, while the operating temperature of the tyre is reduced by about 10C, which could affect competitiveness between cars."

So what does reduced here mean? Operating window has become smaller or operating temperatures would fall (so you do not need to put as much heat) or operating temperatures would go higher (i.e. more heat required) ?

I am assuming it's the 2nd option. Anyway, if they are returning to 2012 tires, I guess no one would complain about tires not lasting. By the end of last year, most races were down to 1-2 stops.
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:39   #326
BHPian

This is not related to 2013 season, but I don't want to create a thread for this.

Public transport learns from F1's speed and reliability - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-2...witter_bbcnews

Quote:
Technology developed in Formula One is being used on everyday buses and trains
On the face of it, you wouldn't think that fixing an F1 car had much in common with fixing a 550 tonne pendolino train (you know, the Virgin trains that tilt).

But train and bus companies have started working with the Williams Formula One team to help improve their service.
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:55   #327
BANNED

Now Pirelli are blaming the team owner's for improperly managing their tyres?
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:39   #328
Senior - BHPian

There is no specific operating temparature for a tyre, there is a range of temparature in which the tyre will start to work. This is the operating window of the tyre, with the kevlar material the tyre needs to be hotter than the steel belted construction and if they say its going to be reduced by 10C, I assume its the temparature range is going to be a narrower and thats what most of the Ferrari engineers are already worried about. Its unfair as Ferrari/Lotus got it right with the 2013 tyres and now the tyres are going back to the older spec!

Quote:
From that article Maky posted

"Kevlar is a type of reinforced, flexible fibre that is particularly resistant to punctures, while the operating temperature of the tyre is reduced by about 10C, which could affect competitiveness between cars."
Old 3rd July 2013, 19:27   #329
Senior - BHPian

Pirellis full report on the Silverstone debacle/

- Tires were under inflated.
- Tires were mounted the wrong way round i.e. left on right side & vice-versa. Tires are asymmetrical.
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:29   #330
Senior - BHPian

Every team has a Pirelli engineer who knows that the tyres are asymmetrical and was watching it being mouned on the wrong side of the car, still says nothing to the team?

Even under-inflated tyres, what was the Pirelli engineer doing?

Camber settings are something Pirelli doesnt have a control on, but the tyre inflation and mounting tyres on the wrong side of the car is something Pirelli can warn the teams about and they should have. They are simply pointing their burnt fingers at the teams to cover their incompetency with making tyres for the pinnacle of motorsports.

Quote:
Pirellis full report on the Silverstone debacle/

- Tires were under inflated.
- Tires were mounted the wrong way round i.e. left on right side & vice-versa. Tires are asymmetrical.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed