Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 08:28   #16
BHPian

re: The Nurburgring is for sale! Edit: Sold to Capricorn Group

Its a pity that one of the iconic F1 tracks is up for grabs. There have been some amazing races at the Nurbugring circuit. Also quite a lot of the circuits are also facing the issue of financial viability given the expensive nature of the sport.
Old 21st March 2013, 12:22   #17
BHPian

I'm really saddened by this news!

I have lapped the ring 20 times in a souped-up Renault clio in Aug 2008.. It was my dream come true..
Old 21st March 2013, 16:37   #18

Perfect time to give competition to Race Resort Ascari. Get a great collection of cars, charge membership fees from individual members (apart from the regular track days and testing by OEMs). Race Resort Ascari doesn't have half the pedigree of the 'ring, so charging higher membership also should be doable.
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuract123 View Post
Perfect time to give competition to Race Resort Ascari. Get a great collection of cars, charge membership fees from individual members (apart from the regular track days and testing by OEMs). Race Resort Ascari doesn't have half the pedigree of the 'ring, so charging higher membership also should be doable.
Its a nice idea, there should be more such resorts around the world there are only really a handful at this time.

The Ring would only work if they made it smaller as a resort but the ring is famous for the Nordschleife so it depends if people would come for its history and not for the track.

Certainly better than it closing!
Old 23rd March 2013, 09:55   #20
BHPian

Sad, considering this deal can go in an direction. A drive on this track is considered to be one of the wishes of any ardent driver, i read about it on The List and was glued to the video till end.

Last edited by rajeshchand : 23rd March 2013 at 09:57.
Old 27th March 2013, 19:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
The problem that I see is simply one thing, its size, its massive!

Its actually not very good for testing as you cant get good lap times because invariably you make a mistake or two with a corner that you think is actually another one unless you know the track well.

We test at a place called brintingthorpe in the UK and they and the other 2 proving grounds in the UK seem to be doing well because they have many facilities in a smaller space.

They could do with making it smaller so commercially it would work. Though the petrol head in me says its should stay, but money rules and they dont have any right now!

I thought the entire point of the Nurburgring was the variety of corners it offers!

And the Nurburgring is mainly used for development, not marketing lap times...

You would have to go to multiple testing facilities, which I am sure would be more expensive given the logistics involved!

Plus, where else in the world do you get so many car companies coming to test at a single place! I am sure the information exchange outside of official testing is massive!

I would kill to have a similar place in India! especially the variety of bumps we get here!

You wouldn't need to do any road testing, just lap the track till the car gives up.
Old 31st March 2013, 10:37   #22
BHPian

If my dreams of driving the 'Ring are spoiled I will go on a rampage.
Old 31st March 2013, 11:59   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Have planned Germany during October have a trade show to attend @ Dusseldorf. Nurburgring is on the list, lets hope it stays till then

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
+1

& i shall accompany you for the rampage

Last edited by karan561 : 31st March 2013 at 12:00.
Old 11th April 2013, 22:40   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

After the bankruptcy filing, the Nurburging had to negotiate long and hard with F1 supremo Bernie Eccelstone to run the German GP this summer.

The Nurburgring is for sale! Edit: Sold to Capricorn Group-_65595029_bernie_ecclestone_getty.jpg

Eventually, a deal was signed and the German GP will run on the shorter, modern Nurburging track on July 7

Before that, the track will also host the classic Nürburgring 24 Hours touring car race over May 17-20.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 14:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Have planned Germany during October have a trade show to attend @ Dusseldorf. Nurburgring is on the list, lets hope it stays till then
+1

& i shall accompany you for the rampage
Me too eagerly planning to drive the ring during this summer (May, June or July). When are you guys planning? May be we can plan it together. I am also looking for more information regarding how to get a good car for the drive. Sorry for OT. Heard that there is heavy booking, so no idea if I can make it with this short term planning.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th April 2013 at 14:21.
Old 13th April 2013, 12:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Me too eagerly planning to drive the ring during this summer (May, June or July). When are you guys planning? May be we can plan it together. I am also looking for more information regarding how to get a good car for the drive. Sorry for OT. Heard that there is heavy booking, so no idea if I can make it with this short term planning.
There are no issues in Nordschleife booking and we can always hire a track day car there for cheap!

I am waiting for my permanent license to arrive.

tl;dr TeamBHP meet at Nurburgring
Old 15th April 2013, 16:24   #27

Quote:
There are no issues in Nordschleife booking and we can always hire a track day car there for cheap!
Not sure what you mean by cheap, the car hire is quite expensive there. Most insurance companies for normal hire cars wont cover such activities even though the Nordschleife is classed as a public road. They have particual terms excluding it. You will need to find a company near the track in Nurburg for example that hires cars specifially for this but that isnt cheap.
Old 19th April 2013, 22:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
Not sure what you mean by cheap, the car hire is quite expensive there. Most insurance companies for normal hire cars wont cover such activities even though the Nordschleife is classed as a public road. They have particual terms excluding it. You will need to find a company near the track in Nurburg for example that hires cars specifially for this but that isnt cheap.
Refer to:

Thanks and Regards
Old 26th April 2013, 08:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Schumacher will drive a 2011 W02 on the longer version of the Nurburgring Nordschleife next month, Mercedes has confirmed.

The run will take place on Sunday 19th May ahead of the start of this year’s Nurburgring 24 Hours sportscar race.

Quote:
Schumacher said: “I have a lot of fond memories of the Nurburgring and am really looking forward to giving fans and friends from my home town of Kerpen, which is quite close to the Nurburgring, something to remember as they see me drive by.”

“But it will be a fantastic experience for me too, driving along the Nordschleife in a state-of–the-art Formula 1 Silver Arrow, particularly in view of the fact that the Silver Arrow’s legend began here. Posting a lap in a modern Silver Arrow on the most beautiful and most testing circuit in the world, what a brilliant mix – it’s every motor racing driver’s dream!”
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/04/2...-nordschleife/
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 23:08   #30
BHPian

a very sad day

The Nurburgring is for sale! Edit: Sold to Capricorn Group-945408_4781163415709_1799534011_n.jpg
muditgrover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks