Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 10:24   #1
BHPian

The 2013 Moto GP Season

The 2013 motogp season kicks off with the Qatar GP this weekend!

Going by the recent testing results, it looks like this is gong to be a cracker of a season.

Marc Marquez's pre season testing pace was hardly believable, especially so in Austin where he was more than half a second clear of every one. For a new comer to come in and reel these times in Motogp is outstanding. However, he is Moto2 champion and was expected to be fast...just not this fast. His debut seems very similar to that of Lorenzo's where he went on to take pole and then the second place.

Pedrosa dominated most of the testing sessions till Austin and then faded a bit in Jerez. Rossi is back to his comfort zone and by Jerez he seems to be the dominant force that he once was. Cal Crutchlow is mixing up with the factory bikes too. Dovi is doing good on Ducati but would need further improvements to challenge the Hondas and Yamahas.

One thing that is getting hidden behind the testing times is the race pace. Here is where Lorenzo stands out. He has been consistently reeling fast laps in race long sessions at all the test venues. His pace on a race distance in Sepang was truly phenomenal. While this could not indicate anything at this moment as others have not done much race simulations, the consistency eerily reminds us of the 2012 season. However 2013 could be different with Marquez and Rossi in the fray.They can ruffle a feather or two by messing up with the clinical race lines of Lorenzo and Pedrosa during the race.

The Hondas and Yamahas seem pretty close in performance except the acceleration from slow corners where the Hondas seem to have an upper hand.

Marquez finished the FP3 in Qatar ahead of Lorenzo, Crutchlow and Rossi. I feel that it will be a strong Yamaha podium at Qatar. The only man who can challenge the Yamahas' domnance seem to be Marquez.

Last edited by badri : 6th April 2013 at 10:42.
badri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 10:38   #2
BHPian

re: The 2013 Moto GP Season

Can't wait to watch 'The Doctor' in action !!

The new qualifying method looks confusing, but still interesting.
Old 6th April 2013, 20:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 2013 Moto GP Season

Badri, that's a pretty nice sum of what to expect from the upcoming season of Motogp.

Iam particularly glad that Rossi is back with Yamaha as he really struggled when he was Ducati and hoping to seeing some of his magic this season. What iam interested is for him to start at the back ( maybe 7th or 8th position) can slowly but, steadily crawl his way up and take the 1st position

Even Iam impressed with Marquez test timings and he seems like another Marco Simoncelli (aggressive and interesting to watch)

Though I like Lorenzo's style of riding, he would be the only real challenger to the Doctor whom i want to see come back with a bang

The first top 5 positions will be a mix of these :-

Lorenzo
Rossi
Pedrosa ( Always been a pocket rocket and now with Stoner not around who used to stop his progress he surely will be on many podium finishes this season)
Andrea Dovizioso
Cal Crutchlow ( Another fine brit ex-Isle of man rider)
Nicky Hayden ( Fine but inconsistent rider)

Surely promises to be an exciting season. Cant wait for it to begin
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 07:29   #4
BHPian

I am going to watch Moto 3 and cheer for Mahindra Racing. Things already seems to look good for Mahindra as they have qualified 4th and competing with KTM's. All the best for a podium finish.
Old 7th April 2013, 10:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I am so glad to see Rossi back with Yamaha, and cant wait for his final 5-10 lap shenanigans every race, and of course the the post race antics!!
Old 7th April 2013, 10:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am so glad to see Rossi back with Yamaha, and cant wait for his final 5-10 lap shenanigans every race, and of course the the post race antics!!
Me too. But, a disappointing start. He starts from 7th position. But, knowing him he can easily finish in top 3 if he rides well today

Cal Crutchlow is the suprise of the qualifying. Pole 2 for him means he is up there with the best

Should be an exciting race between the Yams (mostly) and Ducati and a lone honda ( Pedrosa) rider
Old 8th April 2013, 01:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I CAN HARDLY BREATHE!!!
Oh man, what a race!!

All I want to say is, the doctor is BACK!
Mobike, how amazing and satisfying was that return?: D
Wow, just, wow.

If it wasn't for that one error, it might well have been first place.

Last edited by mayankk : 8th April 2013 at 01:21.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 10:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

I don't think I have gotten emotional watching any form of television, till yesterday...

I am ruling out Pedrosa from the WC '13 based on one race & I think, I shall stand by it.

I think I like Marquez for what he brings to the Moto GP table. He has all the makings of a WC in coming years.

Till the next race...
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 11:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All I want to say is, the doctor is BACK!
Mobike, how amazing and satisfying was that return?: D
Wow, just, wow.
You bet, he is back and that too with a loud BANG

One of the best races that I ever saw in my life. Rossi was unbeilevable yesterday. Iam very happy for him

Hope he does well in future qualifiyings as if he bags a position in front grid, he will surely consistently be No#1 this season

Quote:
If it wasn't for that one error, it might well have been first place.
Oh yeah, that was fun. First lap jump directly from 7th to 4th position then running wide and losing those 3 positions again made me excited like a kid because even Rossi acted like one with that manevouer...Hehe!

But, he focused and hunted down each and every rider and came 2nd. Great come back indeed
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 11:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I don't think I have gotten emotional watching any form of television, till yesterday...

I am ruling out Pedrosa from the WC '13 based on one race & I think, I shall stand by it.

I think I like Marquez for what he brings to the Moto GP table. He has all the makings of a WC in coming years.

Till the next race...
Thank you!
I have been waiting for someone to get on to the thread to start the discussion!

Pedrosa sort of reminded me of old man Button from f1, just couldn't get to stick his lead. When Marquez went by, it was almost as if he was waving him by.

By the by, the straightline of the hondas, what the hell is that about????

And WHAT a ride by Rossi, almost 4 seconds in 4-5(?) laps. Typical fashion, letting the guys in front get on and then blasting their hopes!
Pity he was not able to get to jorge, but I take consolation in the 1-2.

I think the contest will be between rossi, jorge, marquez, and crutchlow this time around.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 13:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have never loved Yamaha and the blue color as much as I did last night!

Dadaji would have been all over Jorge had Pedrosa not been so tentative at that corner.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 13:19   #12
Team-BHP Support

So happy to see Rossi back on the podium. All credit and attention to Marquez for not making it easy for the Doctor on his Moto Gp debut, it takes a champion in the making to pass Rossi in the closing laps even if it was to hold position for half a lap.

Last edited by manson : 8th April 2013 at 13:21.
Old 8th April 2013, 13:30   #13
Mik
BHPian

What an exciting super sunday. First the heart stopping 'super over' in IPL and then the Moto GP madness. A late night drama with Djokovic and Querrey in Davis Cup means that Monday morning office is now a pain.
I have a question though. How could Marquez overtake Pedrosa on the straight so easily when they are basically on the same machine ?
Is slipstream that big a factor in a motorcycle too or is it that both are running different setups.
Old 8th April 2013, 13:38   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I have a question though. How could Marquez overtake Pedrosa on the straight so easily when they are basically on the same machine ?
Is slipstream that big a factor in a motorcycle too or is it that both are running different setups.
From what I recall, VR too overtook MM (Marc Marquez) once in the straight line.

Seems, it wasn't Dani or his bike's day yesterday.

I think VR played with MM for a bit for cheer from his fans. He would have bid good-bye at the very first attempt if he wanted.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 13:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

But one must give it to Jorge. He is formidably fast man.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks