Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2013, 12:35   #1
BHPian

Honda returns to F1 with McLaren, as Engine supplier in 2015

Honda just confirmed during an online press conference that they are retirning as Power unit suppliers to McLaren in 2015!

Honda to produce the power unit whereas McLaren do the Chassis and management!
nipcarlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 12:59   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda returns to F1 with McLaren, as Engine supplier in 2015

^^ that is big news but then one tended to associate McLaren with Mercedes.

Hope they do not go the Williams way in the longer run. The two used to compete with each other for the top slot earlier. Now one is in the mid pack and one close to the end.

Good to see Honda return though. Some how one can better associate Honda Brand with F1 than say Toyota.
Old 16th May 2013, 13:20   #3
BHPian

This brings back the winning combination of the late 80s and early 90s.

With Mercedes now a works team, Mclaren now gets preferential treatment again from Honda, something that they are used to.

So the engine race in 2015 will be between Ferrari, Honda, Renault and Mercedes.

One more team would opt for Honda engines then, Marussia if they survive, else one of the Renault teams like Williams or Caterham.

mclaren official website link - http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/insi...ula-1-history/

and the link that just came up in on PF1 - http://planetf1.com/news/3213/871539...n-With-McLaren

Last edited by slicks : 16th May 2013 at 13:26. Reason: Updating
slicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 13:49   #4
BHPian

I dont think this era is similar to the 80s, 90s or for that matter early 2000s

For sure in max 2 years from the introduction of 1.6 turbo engines FIA will freeze engine development and as it is it would have put hundreds of restrictions with regards to weight, materials which can be used, etc.

So there would be tiny developments in the name of engine reliability like it is happening right now and as what is today almost all engines would be quiet near to each other with respect to power produced

So I guess it wont be like what it used to before. For eg - Sauber used to get one version older Ferrari engine then the works team

Maybe for the first year or two but then it will all be the same

FIA wants to make F1 environment friendly and get the costs down and still within a decade two new engines.

They want to have night races where the whole track is to be lit like its daylight but F1 cars need to be environment friendly.

Every other year a new track comes up. Tons and Tons of steel and cement is used

Does all this does not have a potentially bigger threat to the environment or some 20 odd cars which would have 2.4 ltr or a 3 ltr engine revving till 20000 rpm doing some 1000 kms per car on a race weekend

If you ask me, there is no joy if Honda enters and along with them BMW and Toyota.
The charm, the thrill of F1 is long gone. For me its like a forced spectacle

No wonder how much ever I try I fall asleep midway through the race and don't even bother to watch qualifying

I am really sorry for ranting so much and going off topic. These are my personal views and just wanted to put forward a point that manufacturers entering wont change much due to constant rule changes and so much restriction

But still I just hope FIA proves me wrong
rikhav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 14:02   #5
BANNED

Is this also not the same time as turbo-engines return to F1. Unbeatable combination - Honda + Turbo. remember the 1100+ bhp in the heyday of the turbo. Thank God the boffins were free to do their trick on the Honda diesels.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 14:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
FIA wants to make F1 environment friendly and get the costs down and still within a decade two new engines.

Every other year a new track comes up. Tons and Tons of steel and cement is used

Does all this does not have a potentially bigger threat to the environment or some 20 odd cars which would have 2.4 ltr or a 3 ltr engine revving till 20000 rpm doing some 1000 kms per car on a race weekend
I quite certain this environmental friendly garbage that they feed us is just that, It's rubbish. The truth is they want to develop smaller engines and F1 has always been at the forefront of development, be it aero or engines, respectively when not restricted by the formula.
They want to develop smaller engines so they can transfer the technology on to the road, not because of emissions but because of Power coupled with FE, and that is what most people are concerned about and hence is the way forward.
It makes little sense developing V12 dinosaurs, although nothing would make me more happy than to see those back!, The environmental friendly jargon is just because it's PR friendly. It is sad but it is the way forward.
I still wish for the day aero would be abandoned in favour of ground effects and restrictions on engine development would be forever removed. I do however look forward to the 2014 cars hoping they will mix it up again. Completely bored of RBR >.>

Last edited by Maky : 16th May 2013 at 14:28.
Maky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 17:23   #7
BHPian

Re: Honda returns to F1 with McLaren, as Engine supplier in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Not really - for die-hard Mclaren loyalists the names Mclaren and Honda will always be synonymous with each other. One of the most iconic cars in F1 is the Ayrton Senna's all-conquering Mclaren Honda Mp4/4. In its hallmark red and white Malboro colors, it's probably one of the most unforgettable cars of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I quite certain this environmental friendly garbage that they feed us is just that, It's rubbish. The truth is they want to develop smaller engines and F1 has always been at the forefront of development...

It makes little sense developing V12 dinosaurs, although nothing would make me more happy than to see those back!, The environmental friendly jargon is just because it's PR friendly....

I still wish for the day aero would be abandoned in favour of ground effects and restrictions on engine development would be forever removed...
It's not complete rubbish - you said it yourself - it's PR. Global sentiment is moving from large-block normally aspirated engines to small-block forced induction, just the way it did in the late seventies and eighties when there was a temporary global oil crisis (the only difference is this one's permanent). The other reason is there is a very real movement today to cut emissions - a movement that's getting more and more backing from governments as well as from the private sector. The move to small-block turbos winds up killing both these birds with one stone.

Will I lament the deep guttural howl of the V12s? Of course. Will I miss the shrieks of the V8s? Sure. But it's ok - for me the attraction in F1 was always about the racing, so I don't mind (too much). I can live with 1.6L turbos.

I do agree with you about not freezing engine development though. That's sad, but perhaps unavoidable. F1 was becoming prohibitively expensive for most teams and engine R&D was a huge cost driver. To make it sustainable for teams other than big-bucks teams to compete, they have to stop costs from spiraling up and away.

Sorry about being so verbose. Allow me to make it up to you with some eye-candy.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda returns to F1 with McLaren, as Engine supplier in 2015-966288_10151612109411413_1995425771_o.jpg  

ghostrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 18:44   #8
BHPian

“McLaren-Honda: I know how much passion, success and pride are encapsulated within just those two words,” said Jenson Button.

Couldn't have put it better myself
He goes on to say “Equally, I grew up watching McLaren-Honda Formula 1 cars racing and winning around the world – they wrote their own glorious chapter of Formula 1 history, in fact. Even now, picturing those unmistakable red-and-white cars evokes vivid memories of some of the most dramatic and exciting motor racing the world has ever seen.”

"In 1988 the partnership of McLaren and Honda created one of the most thrilling and successful seasons in the sport’s history. Teammates Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost won 15 of 16 Grands Prix, all but the home event of their greatest rivals, Ferrari."

Source: mirror.co.uk

Last edited by Redline6800 : 16th May 2013 at 18:46.
Old 16th May 2013, 18:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is good news. Any car manufacturer coming to F1 is good news.

Last time, Honda quit at a very wrong time. One more year and they would have added a double to their kitty in 2009.

I think McLaren will ditch the silver arrows theme next year. Will it be Orange or Red & White?
Old 16th May 2013, 19:03   #10
BHPian

That is great news

Honda is expert when it comes to petrol/gasoline engines and i for one surely missed them over the years.
Old 16th May 2013, 19:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Honda just confirmed during an online press conference that they are retirning as Power unit suppliers to McLaren in 2015!

Honda to produce the power unit whereas McLaren do the Chassis and management!
Glory days of Mclaren-honda!! i was toddler then, now to see the one of the most mind-boggling combination soon!!
Old 16th May 2013, 22:21   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Received from Honda:

Quote:
Honda will be in charge of the development, manufacture and supply of the power unit, including the engine and energy recovery system, while McLaren will be in charge of the development and manufacture of the chassis, as well as the management of the new team, McLaren Honda.

From 2014, new F1 regulations require the introduction of a 1.6 litre direct injection turbocharged V6 engine with energy recovery systems.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 23:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Received from Honda:
Isn't Honda expecting to use some of this tech in their next gen NSX? The last time they made an NSX, it was a revolutionary car - at a fraction of the price of the italians and other exotics, it provided equivalent performance. Wonder how it will pan out this time.

KERS is taking the Mclaren P1 and La Ferrari to the next level of performance (and some insane numbers at that). It absolutely is superb how race car technology comes to street cars.

That said, its a big step for Honda - It's a chance for them to really up their game in the turbo engine business.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 16th May 2013 at 23:21.
Old 16th May 2013, 23:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Mclaren and Senna won those world titles with Honda engines in the eighties...

Great news for engine enthusiasts and Honda fans!
Old 17th May 2013, 01:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Even though I am happy for Honda, I can't understand one thing. Why Mercedes has allowed them (McLaren) to use their brand new 1.6 engine for one full season? For that one full season McLaren will extract whatever characteristics (not talking about the internal construction and material used) and other factors about the engine and pass to Honda. Advantage Honda. If McLaren is associating with Honda then Mercedes should pull the plug at the end of this season when current engine ends at shelf and museum.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks