Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 21:19   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Monaco is hard to overtake at? Well try telling that to Sergio Perez who kept the world champions on the straight and narrow. He seemed to pick up overtaking opportunities when no one else seemed to have them. Granted that some of them were ambitious, however this upstart might be someone to watch.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Ambitious, sure, at what cost? He's gonna be ostracized by the whole grid if he keeps up his maniacal driving. It seems as if he's taken lessons from Bangalore's cabbies.
If you can't beat 'em, hit 'em. :frustrati
Old 28th May 2013, 21:42   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Ambitious, sure, at what cost? He's gonna be ostracized by the whole grid if he keeps up his maniacal driving. It seems as if he's taken lessons from Bangalore's cabbies.
If you can't beat 'em, hit 'em. :frustrati
I think he hit just kimi, no?
And I recall kimi taking out an FI some years back at the same corner approach of a possible first podium finish, or 4th place, one of those. So it's not just noobs it catches out.
Old 28th May 2013, 23:03   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 - Grand Prix De Monaco

Ugh...Is it really worth debating such topics
I really don't buy into all of this whose fault is it non-sense when it comes to close racing in cases like that, except something severe, stupid and blatant like the grosjean incident(s), Enjoy the action people & be thankful we still have events like this one in Monaco and the squabble between Button and Perez in Bahrain. I say label it a racing incident & move on. This is racing, they are racers, they will race.
I'd like to add that in this age of immense safety with drivers in their carbon fiber cocoons perhaps its time to get rid of some of regulations put in place for the same back in the day, I'm not a fan of the 'leaving a cars width' rule. Force the other guy off the track. Hard racing more of that please. Rules such as one move rule annoy me to no extent, Schumacher Vs. Hakinnen 1999, Oh! and especially with sitting ducks that cars have become with the DRS today?
Perhaps I'm a dinosaur of the old days : (.
Old 28th May 2013, 23:41   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Perez's strategy was pretty simple. After the tunnel, do late breaking and turn your car on the inside of the car ahead of you. The car ahead will have 2 options : 1. To yield to Perez to avoid contact or 2. Cut the chicane to be safe and avoid contact in which case McLaren will be only too happy to complain to Charlie Whiting and then he will rule in Perez's favor.

Both approaches were seen in the race. Alonso cut the corner and had to pay for it, Button avoided contact and was on Team Radio complaining.

Kimi, being Kimi, didn't succumb to Perez and was taken out. Kimi was also on the radio earlier saying Perez is Stupid, when Perez narrowly missed taking Kimi out. Eventually karma caught up with Perez and when he wanted to go to the Pits after hitting with Kimi, Button blocked his way and Perez's race was finished and he had to park in the escape road.

Perez is just doing what Hamilton did the last season, taking other cars out. Maybe it's the frustration of driving a slow car that doesn't handle well too. Even Force India which uses their parts and have a fraction of the budget have a much better and faster car

PS : The most interesting part of the race for me was on the 2nd Last Lap when Vettel's Race Engineer asked him that why is he trying to go fast and set the fastest lap ?

Vettel's Reply : "For Satisfaction"
Old 29th May 2013, 03:53   #95
Senior - BHPian

Perez has been asked to go aggressive by his team. it is good that he is aggressive as long as he does not try to pull a fast one. with regards to kimi-perez incident, perez did commit to the corner, kimi closed the gap on him, the duo touched. should kimi have given more space, and let perez pass as he was already turning in, would lead to kimi not taking the chicane. this would lead to the same ruling as the perez-alonso incident. stewards ruled in favour of perez in that incident. so kimi taking the move to close the gap is correct, the car in the back has to be careful in taking that decision.

look at sutil, he did overtake at lowes hairpin, so perez wasn't the only one overtaking in the race.

Last edited by govigov : 29th May 2013 at 03:58.
Old 29th May 2013, 06:09   #96
Team-BHP Support

I felt Perez did quite ok with his moves. Yes, he got it wrong with Kimi and paid the price. His move on Jensen was pretty awesome. Infact I think Grosjean is the one who need some extra lessons on crash avoidance.

Ferrari has reported that Massa had a suspension failure which caused the accident:
http://www.foxsportsasia.com/home/ne...il/item977549/
Old 29th May 2013, 09:46   #97
BHPian

Quote:

And I recall kimi taking out an FI some years back at the same corner approach of a possible first podium finish, or 4th place, one of those. So it's not just noobs it catches out.
Okay maybe my frustration is coming from the fact that he took out kimi. And yeah, like some others have said, this is racing. Therefore I retract my statement

I guess I'm just used to the new-age overtaking where no one touches each other. Consequences of being a kid I guess!

Last edited by AbelAFC : 29th May 2013 at 09:47.
Old 29th May 2013, 17:44   #98

Quote:
To be fair to Kimi, in 07 (or 08), we had a damp race and he was not trying to overtake Sutil at all. I remember seeing him brake on a wet patch, lose control of the car and plain rear end the FI.

There you go...

Perez on the other hand was trying to bully Kimi out of turning into the corner and force him into cutting the chicane. Kimi was having none of it

Two completely different scenarios IMO.
TNiranjanT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 21:28   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
Perez's strategy was pretty simple. After the tunnel, do late breaking and turn your car on the inside of the car ahead of you. The car ahead will have 2 options : 1. To yield to Perez to avoid contact or 2. Cut the chicane to be safe and avoid contact in which case McLaren will be only too happy to complain to Charlie Whiting and then he will rule in Perez's favor.
Agreed, Perez's strategy was very simple. In fact dare I say Senna-esque? Anyone remember 1990 Suzuka? Senna sticks it up the inside knowing fully well it was up to Prost to make the decision for him.

Quite a different case back then when both involved were the only championship contenders. Mr. Perez, on the other hand, should not be messing up Kimi's title bid

But to be fair to the bloke, he treats everyone with equal disdain and I love it more when he dishes it out to his teammate too. Mint!

Is it just me or should Macca look for a better No. 1 driver leading the team than JB? I mean, the man is consistent yes, meticulous yes, PR dream yes but quick? NO.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:50   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post

Both approaches were seen in the race. Alonso cut the corner and had to pay for it, Button avoided contact and was on Team Radio complaining.

Kimi, being Kimi, didn't succumb to Perez and was taken out. Kimi was also on the radio earlier saying Perez is Stupid, when Perez narrowly missed taking Kimi out. Eventually karma caught up with Perez and when he wanted to go to the Pits after hitting with Kimi, Button blocked his way and Perez's race was finished and he had to park in the escape road.

Perez is just doing what Hamilton did the last season, taking other cars out. Maybe it's the frustration of driving a slow car that doesn't handle well too. Even Force India which uses their parts and have a fraction of the budget have a much better and faster car

PS : The most interesting part of the race for me was on the 2nd Last Lap when Vettel's Race Engineer asked him that why is he trying to go fast and set the fastest lap ?

Vettel's Reply : "For Satisfaction"
It doesn't matter what we think of Checo's move on Kimi.
What matters is what Checo's mom thinks of it.

see this : http://www.offonf1.com/not-the-f1-ne...konen/13-06-01

Canada, here we come !!
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:06   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post

It doesn't matter what we think of Checo's move on Kimi.
What matters is what Checo's mom thinks of it.

see this : http://www.offonf1.com/not-the-f1-ne...konen/13-06-01

Canada, here we come !!
So at the end of the day, Checo is still a mama's boy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks