Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 17:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Raikkonen to partner Alonso at Ferrari in 2014

First things first, this driver combination is absolutely awesome.

2 World champions, the returning driver is the one who has a WDC with Ferrari - this may be just the motivational boost needed to prod Alonso.

Neither of them is gonna rest easy playing second fiddle to the other.

For next year, Ferrari may have to apply for the same number(maybe in different colours) for their two drivers.
The tussle will start there though the rules are pretty clear - whoever has the higher position in the WDC this year will have the higher number on their car next year.
The on-track off-track jostling will provide us with the much needed drama in F1 for the entire year.

Regardless of which one comes out on top, Ferrari will have a strong showing at the Constructor's Championship standings.
They have emphasized time and again that this is their ultimate aim as far F1 is concerned. They couldn't care less which one of their drivers was on top in the WDC.

On a side note - When Luca Di Montezemolo said that he is trying to bring a former ferrari driver back and is scheduled to meet Schumacher, the Schumi fan in me was hoping against hope that Schumi would come back for a third crack at F1 - even though I knew that the chances of that happening were realistically slim.
Old 12th September 2013, 17:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I hope Kimi has made it clear that he won't play second fiddle to Alonso. If the team still regards Alonso as its #1 driver, then this was a pointless shift. Better rule in Lotus than serve in Ferrari.
Beside the point, Massa had to go. Kimi is currently the best driver without a top car (Hulkenberg might disagree) and full marks to Ferrari for getting him in. Two of the top 4 drivers in the world in one team. They can mount a serious challenge to the Red Bulls next year. (Tired of seeing Vettel running roughshod over the competition this year)
If Schumacher can play fiddle to Irvine in Malaysia '99, and Kimi-Massa both have played second fiddle to each other, it proves there is no clear cut order at the start of the season. Coulthard has played 2nd fiddle to Hakkinen as well towards the latter of the a season.

It is only logical that a choice emerges once there is a big gap in the points between both and one has the better chance of challenging for the title.
Old 12th September 2013, 20:35   #18

Ferrari's decision to hire Kimi gives Alonso one clear message 'No one is above the team'. For sure Alonso would have reservations with Kimi joining and was openly supportive of Massa in the day running up to the announcement. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Stefano Domenicalli broke the news to Alonso.

Quite unlike the JPM & Kimi pairing, these guys are in the prime of their F1 careers and will be running each other incredibly close. To come up with a team pairing of this calibre, one would have to go back to the Senna and Prost era in Mclaren, and we all know how that ended

As a Kimi fan, I can only admire his decision to move to Ferrari. I can assure you no other top driver Hamilton or Vettel would have made such a move considering Alonso's side of the garage at Ferrari is the 'well stocked kitchen cabinet'.

Stefano's press release since the announcement states clearly that the team comes first not the driver. I can see Kimi working in that environment, but how long until Alonso's starts throwing his toys around?
Old 12th September 2013, 22:15   #19
BHPian

Post Kimi's announcement on his move to Ferrari was confirmed his current team Lotus took to Twitter to tweet. This picture had garnered lot of buzz now on Twitter.

Raikkonen to partner Alonso at Ferrari in 2014-image3600724524.jpg

Cheers!
Old 12th September 2013, 22:28   #20
BHPian

For sure it is exciting to see Alonso & Kimi in Red next year. Also true, maybe, that Ferrari, in principle, intends to treat both drivers at par until there is a clear WDC contender. However, Ferrari still has a challenge on their hands in trying to distribute their resources between both drivers. Stated or otherwise Ferrari has so far had a clear no: 1 driver and a great second driver. In my best guess their support teams were divided to allocate cream of their staff to their no: 1 driver. Now with Kimi and Alonso both in their stables, how would they distribute resources and how would that factor into their performances and equations? Needless to say, an interesting year to wait for.
Old 12th September 2013, 23:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
For sure it is exciting to see Alonso & Kimi in Red next year. Also true, maybe, that Ferrari, in principle, intends to treat both drivers at par until there is a clear WDC contender. However, Ferrari still has a challenge on their hands in trying to distribute their resources between both drivers. Stated or otherwise Ferrari has so far had a clear no: 1 driver and a great second driver. In my best guess their support teams were divided to allocate cream of their staff to their no: 1 driver. Now with Kimi and Alonso both in their stables, how would they distribute resources and how would that factor into their performances and equations? Needless to say, an interesting year to wait for.
Alonso would retain the resources he currently has while Kimi would get those who were working with Massa. Thats fairly obvious, considering Kimi is replacing Massa. We should not forget that Kimi won in 2007 by 1 point (RAI:110-MAS:94) and Massa lost in 2008 by the same margin (MAS:97-RAI:75). So Ferrari knows how to split the team without an impact to WDC chances.

Last edited by zenren : 12th September 2013 at 23:22.
Old 13th September 2013, 08:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Alonso would retain the resources he currently has while Kimi would get those who were working with Massa. Thats fairly obvious, considering Kimi is replacing Massa. We should not forget that Kimi won in 2007 by 1 point (RAI:110-MAS:94) and Massa lost in 2008 by the same margin (MAS:97-RAI:75). So Ferrari knows how to split the team without an impact to WDC chances.
I agree with you. But still, Kimi - Alonso is a different combination than either of them with Massa. Kimi may even have negotiated for some of these before he joined. Anyways, we'll know more when action rolls in 2014 :-) I would love to hear some of their radio messages during races.
Old 13th September 2013, 09:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

So where is Massa headed to?

It would be very interesting to see how both of these great drivers survive in Ferrari. I hope there Egos do not clash and come between the bigger goal of winning the title back.
Old 13th September 2013, 11:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Super excited to see Kimi wearing Red! He was just too awesome for Lotus.

Dying to see these furiously capable teammates fight it out and bring home some much needed championship points for Ferrari. Slowly getting tired of seeing them Red Bulls dominate the sport.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 13th September 2013 at 11:24.
Old 13th September 2013, 13:27   #25
BHPian

This pairing is the best thing to happen in recent times in F1. FA and KR in Ferrari are going to be the best pairing next season. Lewis and Rosberg are the next best pair. I doubt FA' s 2007 experience in McLaren is valid now that FA has grown up and is much more mature than he was in 200. The only thing is that Kimi will have to work harder than he has in the past to ensure that he contributes to the development of the car. FA is not gonna be happy if KR slacks off and then takes points off FA. Kimi won't have a problem in playing second fiddle to FA if FA is ahead in the championship towards the end. And FA will have to do the same if Kimi is ahead. Cannot wait for 2014. Its going to be a blast.
Yusha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 13:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So where is Massa headed to?

It would be very interesting to see how both of these great drivers survive in Ferrari. I hope there Egos do not clash and come between the bigger goal of winning the title back.

Having driven with 3 of the greats and almost World title - Lotus would be the best of the rest as far as open seats go and with that experience Lotus would be lucky to have him. Will Rob Smedley goes with him as they make a good team and I think he's probably secretly still annoyed with Ferrari for having to tell Felipe to move over to let Alonso win in 2010 at Hockenheim.
Cheers!
Old 13th September 2013, 14:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

What a pairing! Ferrari have gone completely against the grain by having 2 former world champions as teammates. If Ferrari can give them a competitive car next year, they have the constructors championship sown up!

We all know how Alonso reacts to a strong teammate who can match and beat him. But I also think that they will push each other at every session, every race, race after race. Add a certain Mr. Vettel to the mix and we have an exciting 2014 to look forward to. This can only mean pure unadulterated entertainment!!
MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 14:52   #28
BHPian

My two cents...

I see a majority of the folks are excited about the Kimi move.

I for one have a different view point.

Kimi should have stayed at Lotus (provided he had assurances of development and finance).

From a neutral standpoint it would make the sport more interesting. Having to view 3/4 teams dicing for the championship.

As it stands now the chances are that next year the fight would be between RB and Ferrai.

I would rather have top drivers in different teams to keep the sport entertaining and interesting.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wow awesome team, I am very excited to see this pairing, on one had what i have observed is that alonso is very nice and quiet guy and on other hand, The ice man kinda furious. It''ll be fun watching next season.
Old 13th September 2013, 15:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
what i have observed is that alonso is very nice and quiet guy and on other hand, The ice man kinda furious.
Just curious, are we speaking about the same Alonso and Raikkonen here?
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks