Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 14:11   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2014 F1 Season

Wow! Truly end of an era!

I guess Brawn is getting bored of fishing then. Joe Saward wrote a piece few days ago about this. I did not think much of it then.

Quote:
Ferrari is an amazingly successful business. It is so successful in fact that the board has taken the decision not to produce more cars but rather to restrict production and allow the prices to rise because of increased demand and limited supply. Ferrari is now turning over something in the region of $2.6 billion a year, with a pre-tax profit in the region of $490 million. The company also has cash reserves of $1.8 billion. Based on these numbers, it is clear that an IPO of Ferrari, with Fiat remaining in control, could raise a large chunk of the money required by Fiat to repay the current debt. Montezemolo has long been opposed to an IPO because he does not want to weaken Ferrari and so if there is to be a stock market flotation, then his wishes must be overruled, even if he is still a respected figure. Removing him requires the right kind of handling, making it appear that he is moving onward and upward. Keeping him at Ferrari is not an option because that would be a humiliation within the industry. So if Ferrari IPOs, Montezemolo by definition must depart. The chairman role at Alitalia is a perfect vehicle for Luca to drive away from Ferrari in. Ferrari will likely be listed with Fiat in New York and if one is dealing with US investors, who better to lead the firm than a man they know: the former head of Ferrari North America. A Mr Mattiacci. This would explain the illogical decision to put him in charge of the F1 team a few months ago…
Marco is currently formulating plans to return Ferrari to winning ways in F1 in the future, but he could quite easily move up into the CEO role.
So the big question in the F1 parish is who is the next boss of Gestione Sportiva because Mattiacci may not be much longer in the job.
“Pronto, pronto. Can I speak to Ross please?”
Old 11th September 2014, 09:14   #812
Senior - BHPian

So, James Allen was bang on the money about Luca.

I for one am not liking this development. Sergio should tread very carefully. I hope he doesn't sacrifice the Ferrari brand for the greater good of Fiat - Chrysler. Whatever said and done, the aura around Ferrari is diminished without Luca.
Old 11th September 2014, 13:02   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
This is going to be tough on Vettel. Things might sour at Red Bull.
He deserves it doesnt he? There is a blatant performance deficit between Daniel and Sebastien. Ricciardo is certainly a star for the future. Raw gut pace and excellent handling capabilities.

Shocking news over at Ferrari. I agree with many of you, its the end of an era. He did some great work for the road division and for the motorsport division for the past 23 years. Maybe with age, some of his ideas didnt point the racing team to any success (lack of willingness to upgrade facilities and so on). This was confirmed by Marmorini in an interview where he says that the team badly requested for a modernistic wind-tunnel but was rejected by Luca. I think his emotions got the better of him after Marchionne gave that sharp interview with the press about "nobody is indispensable". Its going to be very interesting to see how Ferrari develops. Its a total reset for the company - have to start from the beginning very much.

As a true fan of the scuderia for many years. I see a further slump within the team. All these new guys will need lots of time to catch up with the good work left by the previous people. I honestly am tired of waiting to see Nando dominate a season. The poor fella should probably look elsewhere until Ferrari find their way.

Dont count on Hamilton or Vettel looking at Maranello for a racing seat. So Jules Bianchi it is after 2015 then.

Interesting piece on the top gear website:

Quote:
Quote:
The departure of Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo was not unexpected, but today's news is still seismic, particularly for any regular visitor to Maranello.

Ferrari has always been in thrall to the cult of personality. Enzo Ferrari, the great patriarch, believed entirely in what he was doing, and what he wanted his company to do, on road but particularly on the world's racing circuits. He could be as hard as nails, but unrepentantly sentimental a heartbeat later. He was also a genius of the small gesture and detail, a born PR man, whose trademark dark glasses made it impossible for those around him to read his mood while he manipulated theirs. He was brilliant, impassioned, inspired, inconsistent, enigmatic and phlegmatic.

Boy, did Montezemolo learn from the master. He was hired by the Old Man in the mid-1970s to reassert the Formula One team's dominance, which he duly did. When he returned to Maranello in 1991, the company was in a deep funk following Enzo's death three years earlier. It took longer than perhaps he expected, but by the dawning of the new millennium, Montezemolo and his lieutenants had set the road car division on a wildly successful new technological path, and - with Jean Todt at the helm and Michael Schumacher at the wheel - orchestrated total domination of F1.

Insiders, and Ferrari's image-builders, began to talk of the company's two eras: the Enzo one, and the Montezemolo one. Even off the record, when the veil slipped, former and indeed current executives in Maranello attest to the man as a genuine visionary and inexhaustible motivator. It fitted the narrative.

So why has he resigned? The current abject performance in Formula One is certainly not helpful. Montezemolo is a man who throws things at his television when his team loses, so the local Dixons will have been busy recently. Be under no illusions, he loves F1 as deeply as the most committed tifosi. Ferrari's unique standing in the sport, box office appeal and preferential arrangement with the sport's management are also mitigating factors. Ferrari has suffered longer losing streaks, but this one is starting to hurt, particularly with the sport's top talent - Alonso - visibly restless.

What this really boils down to, though, is a clash with Fiat-Chrysler Group CEO Sergio Marchionne. Fair to say that these two big beasts have contrasting management styles, ambitions and even wardrobes. In the impassioned world of Italian business, it may also have become personal.

Montezemolo has grown Ferrari revenues tenfold since his arrival, allowed the company's engineers the freedom to innovate, more often than not to spectacular effect, and, in terms of the profit-to-turnover ratio, Ferrari ploughs an enormous sum into its R & D. Its cars have never been better, more desired or more difficult to get hold of, and Montezemolo wants to keep it that way.

But, as Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles prepares for its flotation on the New York Stock Exchange, due to happen next month, Marchionne's aspirations are different. He, too, is a remarkable manager, and he's done seemingly impossible things with Fiat and Chrysler. Unlike Montezemolo, however, he wants to leverage the power of the Ferrari brand to the greater good of the Group. Less than 7000 cars per year may not be enough, irrespective of the margins or profits.

As he prepares to take over from Montezemolo, who steps down on October 13th, you have to wonder if the prospect of a Ferrari SUV or the long-discussed new Dino has just become a whole lot more likely.
Source: Topgear.com/uk
Old 11th September 2014, 14:22   #814
BHPian

Contrasting statements about Montezemolo.
Quote:
Montezemolo has grown Ferrari revenues tenfold since his arrival, allowed the company's engineers the freedom to innovate, more often than not to spectacular effect
Quote:
This was confirmed by Marmorini in an interview where he says that the team badly requested for a modernistic wind-tunnel but was rejected by Luca.
Old 11th September 2014, 14:39   #815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
He deserves it doesnt he? There is a blatant performance deficit between Daniel and Sebastien. Ricciardo is certainly a star for the future. Raw gut pace and excellent handling capabilities.
And it was Webber's turn to pass a joke

"Looks like Seb's got my car this year."

Source: ESPN F1
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 18:12   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Contrasting statements about Montezemolo.
They both stand true Blue_V! Ferrari road cars have been getting better without a doubt.

The F1 team haven't been as aggressive as they should be. Conservative design and approach. Biggest thing they did was the push-rod suspension and that didn't achieve the desired results.
Old 13th September 2014, 11:07   #817
Senior - BHPian

FIA has banned radio communications that aid the driver in terms of race performance with immediate effect.

Since they are using an existing rule to impose this, the teams wouldn't have a choice but to obey it. No more messages like "Nico is on Strat-6, copy him" or "you are slow in turn 5"
Old 16th September 2014, 14:24   #818
Senior - BHPian

Here is some clarity on the radio message ban:

Messages not permitted (either by radio or pit board)
  1. Sector time detail of a competitor and where a competitor is faster or slower.
  2. Adjustment of power unit settings.
  3. Adjustment of power unit setting to de-rate the systems.
  4. Adjustment of gearbox settings.
  5. Learning of gears of the gearbox (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).
  6. Balancing the SOC ['State of charge', ie ERS battery charge level - AC] or adjusting for performance.
  7. Information on fuel flow settings (except if requested to do so by race control).
  8. Information on level of fuel saving needed.
  9. Information on tyre pressures or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).
  10. Information on differential settings.
  11. Start maps related to clutch position, for race start and pit stops.
  12. Information on clutch maps or settings, eg bite point.
  13. Burn-outs prior to race starts.
  14. Information on brake balance or BBW settings.
  15. Warning on brake wear or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).
  16. Selection of driver default settings (other than in the case of a clearly identified problem with the
  17. car).
  18. Answering a direct question from a driver, eg “Am I using the right torque map?”
  19. Any message that appears to be coded.

Messages permitted (for the avoidance of doubt)
  1. Acknowledgement that a driver message has been heard.
  2. Lap or sector time detail.
  3. Lap time detail of a competitor.
  4. Gaps to a competitor during a practice session or race.
  5. “Push hard,” “push now,” “you will be racing xx,” or similar.
  6. Helping with warning of traffic during a practice session or race.
  7. Giving the gaps between cars in qualifying so as to better position the car for a clear lap.
  8. Puncture warning.
  9. Tyre choice at the next pit stop.
  10. Number of laps a competitor has done on a set of tyres during a race.
  11. Tyre specification of a competitor.
  12. Indication of a potential problem with a competitor’s car during a race.
  13. Information concerning a competitors likely race strategy.
  14. Yellow flags, blue flags, Safety Car deployment or other cautions.
  15. Safety Car window.
  16. Driving breaches by team driver or competitor, eg missing chicanes, running off track, time penalty will be applied etc.
  17. Notification that DRS is enabled or disabled.
  18. Dealing with a DRS system failure.
  19. Change of front wing position at the next pit stop.
  20. Oil transfer.
  21. Wet track, oil or debris in certain corners.
  22. When to enter the pits.
  23. Reminders to check for white lines, bollards, weighbridge lights when entering or leaving the pits.
  24. Reminders about track limits.
  25. Passing on messages from race control.
  26. Information concerning damage to the car.
  27. Number of laps remaining.
  28. Driver instructions from the team to swap position with other drivers.
  29. Test sequence information during practice sessions, eg aero-mapping.
  30. Weather information.
  31. Pit to retire the car.

Source: http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/09/15/f...-isnt-allowed/
zenren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 14:39   #819
BHPian

Nightmare for the race engineer.
Drivers will spend more time on simulators to get used to the new rules. It will defintely affect the performance of the drivers.
Old 16th September 2014, 16:02   #820
Senior - BHPian

As per the statistics available in F1Fanatic site, Mercedes is relying on the radio communication much more than other teams. It would be interesting to see if others might catch up with the Mercs with lesser communication

Top 3:

338 Mercedes
176 Red Bull
93 Force India

In contrast with two drivers who are best left to themselves, Ferrari's count so far is just 32. That is less than 10% of the messages for Mercedes.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 13:01   #821
Senior - BHPian

I reckon Hamilton depends a lot on radio messages. Still getting used to the relationship with his race engineer. Ricciardo is a non-stop chatterbox on the radio as well. Explains their #2 place as well.
Old 18th September 2014, 13:28   #822
Senior - BHPian

I hope they will still allow Peter Bonnington to tell Hamilton: "Go strat mode four, it’s hammer time."

I love hearing that.

I think Mercedes talk so much due two things:
1) Their huge advantage on track compared to others. Then, its your turn to get concerned about petty things.
2) The intense battle within the team. Even trivial details count when one is essentially fighting the same car.
Old 18th September 2014, 14:04   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
In contrast with two drivers who are best left to themselves, Ferrari's count so far is just 32. That is less than 10% of the messages for Mercedes.
I wonder how many of those 32 are Kimi's. Maybe 1? "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!"
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 16:09   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The intense battle within the team. Even trivial details count when one is essentially fighting the same car.
That is probably where FIA had to step in. Even if Hamilton/Rosberg wanted to try a slightly different strategy to overtake, the other driver's engineer would immediately know it and inform the lead driver, foiling the plan. We've seen it in their close battles many times where the lead driver mimicked the settings of the guy behind to ensure there wouldn't be any advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I wonder how many of those 32 are Kimi's. Maybe 1? "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!"
Here is one involving Kimi from Canada:

Kimi Raikkonen : I don’t know what is ‘P4′?
Antonio Spagnolo: OK, so it’s 12 clicks on the ’10′-button, and four clicks on the ’1′-button.

It would be interesting to see drivers studying for exams just like normal humans, learning what P4/P5 etc means.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 08:19   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Here is some clarity on the radio message ban:

Messages not permitted (either by radio or pit board)
  1. Sector time detail of a competitor and where a competitor is faster or slower.
  2. Adjustment of power unit settings.
  3. Adjustment of power unit setting to de-rate the systems.
  4. Adjustment of gearbox settings.
  5. Learning of gears of the gearbox (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).
  6. Balancing the SOC ['State of charge', ie ERS battery charge level - AC] or adjusting for performance.
  7. Information on fuel flow settings (except if requested to do so by race control).
  8. Information on level of fuel saving needed.
  9. Information on tyre pressures or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).
  10. Information on differential settings.
  11. Start maps related to clutch position, for race start and pit stops.
  12. Information on clutch maps or settings, eg bite point.
  13. Burn-outs prior to race starts.
  14. Information on brake balance or BBW settings.
  15. Warning on brake wear or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).
  16. Selection of driver default settings (other than in the case of a clearly identified problem with the
  17. car).
  18. Answering a direct question from a driver, eg “Am I using the right torque map?”
  19. Any message that appears to be coded.

Messages permitted (for the avoidance of doubt)
  1. Acknowledgement that a driver message has been heard.
  2. Lap or sector time detail.
  3. Lap time detail of a competitor.
  4. Gaps to a competitor during a practice session or race.
  5. “Push hard,” “push now,” “you will be racing xx,” or similar.
  6. Helping with warning of traffic during a practice session or race.
  7. Giving the gaps between cars in qualifying so as to better position the car for a clear lap.
  8. Puncture warning.
  9. Tyre choice at the next pit stop.
  10. Number of laps a competitor has done on a set of tyres during a race.
  11. Tyre specification of a competitor.
  12. Indication of a potential problem with a competitor’s car during a race.
  13. Information concerning a competitors likely race strategy.
  14. Yellow flags, blue flags, Safety Car deployment or other cautions.
  15. Safety Car window.
  16. Driving breaches by team driver or competitor, eg missing chicanes, running off track, time penalty will be applied etc.
  17. Notification that DRS is enabled or disabled.
  18. Dealing with a DRS system failure.
  19. Change of front wing position at the next pit stop.
  20. Oil transfer.
  21. Wet track, oil or debris in certain corners.
  22. When to enter the pits.
  23. Reminders to check for white lines, bollards, weighbridge lights when entering or leaving the pits.
  24. Reminders about track limits.
  25. Passing on messages from race control.
  26. Information concerning damage to the car.
  27. Number of laps remaining.
  28. Driver instructions from the team to swap position with other drivers.
  29. Test sequence information during practice sessions, eg aero-mapping.
  30. Weather information.
  31. Pit to retire the car.

Source: http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/09/15/f...-isnt-allowed/
I think they can ban pit to car completely. Race control can convey radio messages to drivers regarding safety issues like yellow flags, red flags, safety car, oil on track, debris, weather information.

Penalties to drivers can be conveyed selectively by race control.

Bring back pit boards. Look at MotoGP, there is no radio communication at all.
Blue_V is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks