Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2006, 11:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

French Grand Prix (Formula 1) info requested...

Hi all...

I am travelling to France on Jul 8th and will be in Grenoble, France for a few weeks before i head to Milan, Italy.

The French GP is scheduled to be held on July 16th in Magny Cours and i dont want to miss the experience of a lifetime....

Please let me know the cheapest way to get to Magny Cours from Grenoble and the mode of transportation.... I heard the TGV is fastest but the fare can be pretty heavy...

I need to head back to Grenoble on the night of the 16th as I need to get to work on Monday 17th, so i am plannin on reaching Magny Cours few hours before the race and head back as soon as it is over.... hotel stay is ruled out as on Monday morning duty calls as usual....

Would be great if i could get honest advice on :

1. How to travel from Grenoble to Magny Cours and back? Cheapest option required.

2. How much would the F1 tickets cost?

3. Can i buy the tickets at the venue?

4. Suggestions on where to sit and various prices based on this seating location. Also would like to know the highlights and low downs of that seating location such as "good view of top speeds as it is facing the straights" etc...

Any other info would be appreciated considering I know very less about F1....

thanks in anticipation guys....
Old 5th July 2006, 11:34   #2
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Travelling with-in France is a big task. Majority of the travel is done by TGV, but u'r right, they are extremely expensive, even more expensive than plane; which is certainly not an option coz flights to Magny Cours from anywhere in France is outrageously priced during F1 season. Buses are a good option. Tour De France season is on and finding a cheap fare will be easy. Coming back though wont be, unless ur heading back to Paris. Overall, ur best bet is to rent-a-car. with Tour De France on, u'll get some awesome deals and relatively clear roads to Magny Cours. u can even return back in time to Grenoble.
As for tickets, French GP is always packed and tickets are gone soon. U might have to get tickets from a tout : always keep tht option open.
Hope u have a grand time.
Old 5th July 2006, 12:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Had replied in another post - check out this link for all information on the French GP (incl tickets) -

http://www.gpfrancef1.com/gpf1/index.php?lang_code=gb

As far as which the ideal seating would be, I would suggest you try for something near the pit entrance though that would possibly be very expensive (maybe the grandstands opposite/in close proximity to the pitlane).

Good luck & hope you can make it for & enjoy the race!
Old 5th July 2006, 13:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

[quote=suman]http://www.gpfrancef1.com/gpf1/index.php?lang_code=gb QUOTE]

Thanks for the link suman... i was thinkin of Tribune G as the cars will be speeding through the straights.... what is ur opinion?

the tickets are 180 euros a piece for sunday's race... i will have to plan this very carefully... not gonna miss it though....
Old 5th July 2006, 13:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
... i was thinkin of Tribune G as the cars will be speeding through the straights.... what is ur opinion?
I would say that it is a wise choice considering that you have the giant screen and multiple views of the cars and the rates are lower than some of the other grandstands.

Go for it and its cheap at 180 euro - I would not have missed it! I gave Silverstone a miss because tickets were too bloody expensive, almost double of this one!

Most Viewed