Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 23:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!

I love motor racing and follow some of them. And I love things on 4 wheels more than motorcycles. But I don't think anything comes close to Isle of Man TT (Tourist Trophy) in the whole racing world.

The first time I saw some footage of the TT many years back, my jaw was on the floor. I really wondered how it is not prohibited by law. Even now, I still cannot get over the awe when I watch these stunning videos and photographs.

The racing is held on public roads closed for racing by the parliament of the Isle of Man. It is the oldest motor-cycle racing circuit still in use. The TT races are extremely dangerous because riders achieve high speeds on very narrow, twisting streets, roads and lanes flanked by stone walls and buildings. A lot of brave men have lost life at Snaefell Mountain Course. Murrary Walker says this is the greatest motor sport event in the world. And I do think most will agree with that.

And it would be very wrong if T-BHP doesn't have a dedicated thread to celebrate the most awesome race in the world! Enjoy!

There are no run-off areas, just some bushes on the side
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-isle_of_man.jpg

TT legend John McGuinness. The Morecambe Missile has won it 20 times and holds the lap record of 211.9 km/h (that's the average speed)
Name:  Bildschirmfoto20120606um12.19.52.png
Views: 10432
Size:  252.3 KB

And there are a lot of jumps
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-guymartinracingattheisleofmantt.jpg
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-manntt620x410.jpg

Lots of high speed corners
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-tracksidetuesdayisleofmantt2013tonygoldsmith05.jpg

Lot of walls
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-656144949.jpg

No gravel traps, just stone fences.
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-tracksidetuesdayisleofmantt2013tonygoldsmith03.jpg

And barbed wires
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-tracksidetuesdayisleofmantt2013tonygoldsmith06.jpg

Sidecar action at the TT. The TT was started in 1907.
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-article139312400d4e62700000190438_468x335.jpg

I think TT also stands of Titanium Testicles
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-7b29ddfdf69647f988c13294ff66e7cc.jpg

Another amazing video

TT Legends Documentary: Part 1

TT Legends Documentary: Part 2

Read more about the TT here and here

Last edited by deetjohn : 8th March 2014 at 23:46. Reason: typo.
deetjohn is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 02:33   #2
BHPian

Re: The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!

I do agree with you that the Isle of Man and Rally racing are one of the greatest motorsport events.

Isle of Man includes the speeds involved on public roads.

And for Rally racing its the unpredictable obstacles that can come which poses a challenge to the drivers.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 09:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally a thread! I've a ton of Isle of Man TT videos saved on youtube. Will post here.

The below video is not of the TT specifically but it is about racing that happens at the IOM.

Nikhilb2008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 09:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This video is long but an absolute must watch!

Nikhilb2008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 10:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

More pictures.

TT legend Joey Dunlop won the race a record 26 times in total. There is a statue of him alongside the course.
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-joey-dunlop.jpg

Joey Dunlop was a great philanthropist and was awarded the OBE for his humanitarian work for children. He died in Estonia, in 2000 while leading a 125cc race (he had already won the 750cc and 600cc events).
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-joey-dunlop-2.jpg

Fastest Lady at the TT, Jenny Tinmouth (193.033 km/h)
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-jenny-tinmouth.jpg

The sidecar racing is a sight in itself which needs great synchronization
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-sidecar_isle_of_man_tt_6.jpg

Georg Meier, the first foreign winner of the prestigious Senior TT riding a factory BMW in 1939.
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-georgmeierandthe1939isleofmantt.jpg

The start-line where the riders start 10 seconds off each other based on the qualifying lap.
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-startline.jpg

Each lap measures 60.7 km and has over 200 bends while climbing from sea level to an altitude of over 1,300 ft.
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-sstp130105oisleofmanttcoursecoursemap.jpg

Valentino Rossi visited the island in 2009 to present the awards to the TT winners. He also rode the course on the R1 and termed it too dangerous.
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-valeisleofmantt2009valentinorossi346954951280716.jpg

TT - Closer to the Edge, a documentary takes a look at the races of the 2010 event and in particular follows the English racer, Guy Martin.
The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!-tt-closer-edge_2dvd-1000273719.jpg

More stunning photos at IOMTT Photos and IOM race photography

Anyone knows what's with TT and Honda? Most records are set on a CBR.

PS: All images taken through Google search. copyright original owners.

Last edited by deetjohn : 9th March 2014 at 10:04. Reason: typo.
deetjohn is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 19:05   #6
BHPian

Even I took quite some time to pick my jaw up from the floor when I saw its video a few years back.
It really takes Titanium Testes to attack those corners at more than 250kmph and rubbing the bushes on the side at some places.. Its plain insanity.
The way the bikes wobble at times after those jumps is enough to scare any sane person alive.
I reckon, John Abraham is going to make a film on the race.

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 9th March 2014 at 19:07.
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 12:37   #7
BHPian

Boy ! That's gut-wrenching fast and furious ! The racers must be crazy and at the same time skilled in an ungodly manner to achieve such a feat ! I'm amazed , thrilled and slightly nauseous at the same time , also i can't stop using the exclamation mark ! This is a drivers fantasy . Those jumps ? i may not be able to handle it @ 60 kmph . Doing that at 200+ kmph is jaw-dropping awesome !
Amogh Barakol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 23:11   #8
BHPian

Hey Deepak,

Never realized that T-Bhp didn't have a thread on Isle of Man TT. It's really nice to see a thread on the most fierce race in the history of mankind. I don't think there is anything matching this.

I have watched some of the races in my early days. Thanks all for the video's.

Cheers.
Old 11th March 2014, 10:27   #9
BHPian

Has the race always been on a time trial format?
Monaco would be nothing compared to this!
Old 11th March 2014, 18:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thank you thank you! Although I've never seen a race; I watch at least one TT video on you tube before going to bed . Titanium testicles - You betcha!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I really wondered how it is not prohibited by law
To loosely quote Guy Martin - "people who think its too dangerous; leave us to it and go cut your grass"

EPICNESS!!!! I love the TT!!!!! Muchos MUCHOS Respect!!!!!

PS - Thank God there is no limit to exclaimation mark usage on T-BHP
Old 11th March 2014, 19:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Noob question - does TT really stand for what you guys claim it to be?

While avid motorsport fans would love this kind of a race but for some reason I think its borderline insane. One minor fault would mean certain death here. Any stats on how many have been injured/died on this track?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 19:23   #12
BHPian

Thank you Deetjohn for the thread.Sure was an eyeopener. I always felt that WRC's were the challenging ones apart from the Dakars.

But one should really admire the guts of the guys driving those bikes on insane speeds with all those sweet corners. They sure have more than balls of Titanium and do have a death wish for themselves.

I don't know about banning the event,but it would be a great loss for those who lost their loved ones or whoever have lost a limb.More than 200 people losing their lives isn't a small number.

Apart from that grim note ,the route sure looks breathtaking and makes me want to add 'riding on that route' to my bucket list for things to do before i die.But not as a competitor that's for sure.I get my death wish driving on Indian roads and highways on a daily basis.
Old 11th March 2014, 20:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Noob question - does TT really stand for what you guys claim it to be?

While avid motorsport fans would love this kind of a race but for some reason I think its borderline insane. One minor fault would mean certain death here. Any stats on how many have been injured/died on this track?
TT = Tourist Trophy

A little over 200 deaths over a period spanning 100 + years. I think the infamous "Ghostrider" also met his maker on this very track (Year 2005 IIRC).

I clicked the thanks button by mistake (instead of the quote button). Please return immediately
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 21:06   #14
BHPian

Although Isle of Man TT is all about Motorcycles, there was an exception when Mark Higgins drove an Subaru WRX STI around the TT. Watch how he temporarily loses and regains control @ 150 MPH

CoolBlueBiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 22:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Has the race always been on a time trial format?
Monaco would be nothing compared to this!
I think it was a time trial from 1907 itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
To loosely quote Guy Martin - "people who think its too dangerous; leave us to it and go cut your grass"
LOL! Even the TT riders cut grass. Check the first pic from the first post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Any stats on how many have been injured/died on this track?
TT is statistically the most dangerous race in the world. According to wiki, there have been 240 rider deaths during official practices or races between 1907 and 2009.

Watch an F1 car go around the course in this video

Most Viewed