Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 00:31   #16
BHPian

Re: The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!

Oh my God Even to just participate in this event it requires a lot of courage & confidence.Truly awesome.

When they say its not for the money, but for the Glory.. Its all true- word by word.

I will still take time to realise that this event does exist & we have riders..
Old 12th March 2014, 03:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for putting up this thread. I still remember a crazy 1000RR video which i watched with a bunch of bikers some 10 years back & none of us moved a muscle till the video was over.

Pretty scary yet fascinating to watch.
Old 12th March 2014, 08:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
When they say its not for the money, but for the Glory.. Its all true- word by word.
You bet! The price money is really very bad. I am pretty sure most in the field will still be in red even if they win a race unless you are an established star.

For example: The most prestigious among the 7 races is the Senior TT. And this is what I found.

Money paid for Position 1 in each lap
Lap 1: £200
Lap 2: £300
Lap 3: £500
Lap 4: £1000
Lap 5: £2000
Lap 6: £16000
Total: £20,000

That makes for very sad reading. If one is to top each lap, all that they get is £20,000. I think the giants of motor-sport doesn't associate too much with the TT due to the danger.

But it is not all grim for future of TT. Joey Dunlop' nephew and 7 times TT winner Michael Dunlop will contest the 2014 TT with the support of BMW Motorrad Motorsport.

Last edited by deetjohn : 12th March 2014 at 08:18. Reason: Adding link.
Old 12th March 2014, 11:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Valentino Rossi visited the island in 2009 to present the awards to the TT winners. He also rode the course on the R1 and termed it too dangerous.
Have no different opinion! Too dangerous! It's the most scary racing event I have ever watched. Still, I keep watching the videos, even though I like to close my eyes at certain points.
Old 12th March 2014, 12:08   #20
BHPian

Those stone fences & barb wires sum up the danger quotient. Such high speeds with almost no safety on the track needs guts.

No wonder Rossi termed it as too dangerous (he is obviously accustomed to the safety regulations in Moto GP, but he still is the best on a two wheeler).

What really bothers me is the money, I mean the risks involved just doesn't justify the prize.
Old 12th March 2014, 14:02   #21
BHPian

It takes roughly 60000 pounds for a racer to do the ISle of Man course for two weeks which includes getting his bike transported, support staff etc.

In 2010, Ian Hutchinson won all five TTs including Senior, Superbike, Superstock, Supersport-1,2. He is the only one to ever do so. He might have just broken even.

These guys do it for all the glory. Putting their lives at risk, not even for money, is probably the biggest thing to do in life!!

Also considering the events most of the riders take part, the below are the main five.
  • Senior race - 6 laps - 364 kms in a day is equivalent to the race distance of a F1 race with just two pitstops.
  • Superbike Race - 6 laps - 364 kms in a day, again.
  • Superstock Race - 4 laps - 242 kms
  • Supersport-1 Race - 4 laps - 242 kms
  • Supersport-2 Race - 4 laps -242 kms
Here is the final straw, all these 5 races are held over 4 days. Supersport races are held on the same day. So for the major riders like John Mcguiness, Bruce Anstey, Guy Martin, Michael Dunlop etc they will be doing 364, 364, 482, 242 kms in four days at full throttle.

The TT has never been about the money!

TT is all about Danger, Prestige, Glory and Endurance!!

Rossi (or for matter, any other motogp rider) would never stand a chance ( or get involved) simply because the risk is too much for them.

Last edited by JayKis : 12th March 2014 at 14:07.
JayKis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 17:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yup, not sure how Team-BHP never had a thread on the Isle of Man TT! Blasphemous I say

But honestly, I've been terrified watching some of the videos. Years back, I used to agree with my dad that it was insane and should be banned. But now, I have come to understand why they do it - considering the peanuts they get paid to run in it.

The thrill of the ride - I would love to attempt it someday. No, I am certain I cannot race in it - just to ride along the route at the fastest speed I can muster on a mean machine would be enough.
Old 12th March 2014, 18:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Isle of Man TT in slow motion,

Last edited by tharian : 12th March 2014 at 18:18.
Old 13th March 2014, 01:19   #24
BHPian

Isle of Man TT:

Yes, it's the greatest motorcycle race in the world, has been forever. No ifs, buts and what nots. I haven't missed watching it in the last umpteen years. My personal opinion is that these are the best riders in the world, even considering Rossi in his prime. It's a road course, no calculated +ve and -ve cambers like in a race track, the riders deal with real world road conditions at incredible speeds. These guys are the best, no doubt about it.

I hope to do that circuit once, not race just ride it fast, if the man upstairs is kind enough.

Last edited by VLOCT : 13th March 2014 at 01:29.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 04:27   #25
BHPian

I Downloaded the Documentary immediately after reading this thread , but damn! Can't understand Guy Martins accent :/ Need subtitles !
Old 14th March 2014, 14:21   #26

Mod note: Post edited to fix Quotes. Please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I love motor racing and follow some of them. And I love things on 4 wheels more than motorcycles. But I don't think anything comes close to Isle of Man TT (Tourist Trophy) in the whole racing world.

The first time I saw some footage of the TT many years back, my jaw was on the floor. I really wondered how it is not prohibited by law. Even now, I still cannot get over the awe when I watch these stunning videos and photographs.

The racing is held on public roads closed for racing by the parliament of the Isle of Man. It is the oldest motor-cycle racing circuit still in use. The TT races are extremely dangerous because riders achieve high speeds on very narrow, twisting streets, roads and lanes flanked by stone walls and buildings. A lot of brave men have lost life at Snaefell Mountain Course. Murrary Walker says this is the greatest motor sport event in the world. And I do think most will agree with that.

That was an awesome post deetjohn. Thanks for the same. I had an opportunity to see the 99th TT Races for Motorcycles - super seniors in the year 2006, when I visited Isle of Man. Your pictures posted here took me down the memory lane ! Oh man- what an awesome fete it was - truly adventurous. Even watching every bit of action itself was so nerve racking, that too at a close proximity - you can see in some of the pics where people stand and wave off their hands. The thunderous roar of the engine reverberates in the heart.
And did you know about the "Mad Sunday" just prior to the start of this event? A designated Sunday is declared "Mad Sunday" and the roads are closed. Bikers are allowed to ride crazy as hell and no rules are followed. People who dare walk on the road and are safe are proud enough to claim that "I Survived Mad Sunday". I have one T-Shirt, a proud souvenir.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th March 2014 at 14:33.
mahalingam_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 15:07   #27
BHPian

A very good thread indeed. Is anyone out here planning for the 2014 Isle of man ? we have a small plan but lets how much it gets materialized

A start up point if anyone of you wanted to visit
http://www.iomttbreaks.com/isle-of-m...ooking-a-trip-
TwinHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 19:08   #28
WYN

The Isle of Man TT is on my bucket list but kinda slipped down from the top 10

About 2 years back, I missed an opportunity to go and (only see) the greatest motorsports spectacle. Had an invitation form a Brit friend. Could not make it due to some personal reasons. Regret it. TwinHead thanks for sharing the link.

The TT video on Youtube by AlJazeera is really awesome! A must see.
Old 24th March 2014, 02:38   #29
BHPian

Did hear it a few years ago, however found this link that confirms, Aspi is one of the couple of Indians who participated in the TT. another person by the name of Shankar Parthek too participated way back in 1934, however not much information is floating around about him.

http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Database/Eve..._id=3923vernot
Old 14th May 2014, 04:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

It's back!!!

The glorious tt begins on the 24th may and lasts till June 6th.

Any sports channel that airs it in Hindustan?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks