Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2006, 11:08   #31
BHPian

Montoya Dumped my McLaren

McLaren has dumped Montoya with immediate effect as reported at ESPN STAR.

McLaren dump Montoya

McLaren have sensationally dropped Juan Pablo Montoya with immediate effect starting this weekend at the French Grand Prix. The news came early on Tuesday morning following the Colombian’s announcement on Monday that he has decided to quit the team and Formula One to join his former boss Chip Ganassi in NASCAR from next season.
Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa will replace 30-year-old Montoya at McLaren for the rest of the season.

"Team McLaren Mercedes and Juan Pablo Montoya have mutually agreed for him to step down in the forthcoming races of this year's Formula 1 World Championship," McLaren said in a statement.

"The team has decided that Pedro de la Rosa will join Kimi Räikkönen in the race driver line-up."

Montoya, who lambasted Formula One as “boring” failed to make much of a positive impression since switching from CART five years ago.

The Colombian has been dogged with accusations of ill discipline on the track and was blamed for causing the pile-up at the U.S. GP, which took out almost half the grid.

Montoya insisted his move back to America was the right one for him and a switch he was looking forward to.

"I am so happy to be entering the fastest growing racing league in the world," he said.

"I've thought about this for quite some time but the opportunity had to be right. I know it will not be easy but I can't wait to get behind the wheel."

Source : http://www.espnstar.com/formula1/for...l_1740110.html
Old 12th July 2006, 11:17   #32
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Was expecting this. Also expect Montagny to be dropped at Super Aguri for Sakon Yamamoto.
Old 12th July 2006, 11:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
Errr, one M schumacher still has a job, in fact last i heard, in case he leaves ferrari, every pit boss is lined up to offer him one- Incl Frankie williams- who HATES to pay top dollars for a driver & renault.
Well u have been hearing only rumors then. Only ream interested in signing Schumi for next season are Red Bull. Only thing Sir Frank Williams hates more than paying a driver a lot of money is, Michael Schumacher. His hate for Schumi can only be matched by Briatore's contempt for Schumi.

Since the thread on Monaco was closed, I had to post a sample here:
Quotable Quotes:
Jackie Stewart " This was too blatant. First 1997, now this."
Keke Rosberg "He's a cheap cheat. He should go home and leave the sport to honest people."
Bernie Ecclestone "He Cheated. thats Clear. but he's been caught and he's been punished."
Eddie Jordan "I can't believe he wasn't kicked out of the race. He got off too lightly."

Schumacher is also F1s most contreversial driver ever. His antics include: (but not limited to)
Britain 1994
Australia 1994
Brazil 1995
Belgium 1995
Spain 1997
Britain 1998
Canada 1998
Belgium 1998
Spain 2000
Austria 2000
Belgium 2000
Austria 2001
Germany 2001
Europe 2001
Malaysia 2002
Austria 2002
USA 2002
Europe 2003
Britain 2003
Britain 2004
Australia 2005
Monaco 2005
Monaco 2006

My personal fav: Spain 1997

Last edited by ranjan united : 12th July 2006 at 11:37.
Old 12th July 2006, 12:54   #34
BHPian

Schumi being the top driver with lotsa wins and champioship still behaves like a kid.... but the fact is there are lotsa other drivers who have done such funny things... only difference is that Schumi having reached the top should show maturity and not act insane. Otherwise it waters down all the hard work that has been done! It looks like what Zidane did in the finals.

BTW, I don't see why schumi will be wanted by every team. Take 2005 season... Ferrari had a bad car and Schumi couldn't do much. Yes he might've scored the most number of points for Ferrari and got them to third, but then even Kimi has done similar stuff by beating his team mate and getting Mclaren to whereever they are in this season. Yes driver experience counts, but having schumi in a team does not mean that things will immediately turn around.

People said that Red Bull is going to be a super team with Adrian Newey moving from McLaren... does it really work like that anyways? So having Schumi is like saying a World Champ is driving for your team, but if the car can't do much then even there is nothing much to expect.
Old 12th July 2006, 13:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav
So having Schumi is like saying a World Champ is driving for your team, but if the car can't do much then even there is nothing much to expect.
Spot on. BAR found that out with Villneuve.
Old 12th July 2006, 14:20   #36
BHPian

Looks like you've been doin a lot of tracking,

"The only thing I can say in our defense is that no matter how good your strategy is, Michael Schumacher makes everyone look like an idiot."
-Frank Williams
Being grilled on his team's poor record on pit strategy during the 1996 season.

"On thing's for sure. If Michael Schumacher came on the market tommorow, there wouldn't be one team owner who would say no to him, regardless of how bad his reputation is."
-Frank Williams
After Jerez 97
Old 12th July 2006, 14:26   #37
Team-BHP Support

Ok fellows. Let's stop bashing Michael Schumacher and concentrate on the real topic of this thread - Montoya's decision to leave Formula 1.
Old 12th July 2006, 15:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Takes away all the fun from F1. I remember the season when Kimi, Monty and Michael were fighting for the championship, perhaps the only year in recent history where formula1 was worth watching. Montoya never really hit it off at Mc Laren and the team heavily favored Kimi from pit strategy to preparing the setup and car that suited Kimis style.
Now formula1 will just be what it used to be. A sport dominated by Europeans, where Narain Kartikeyan was said that he is just too ugly to be a F1 driver. Now just see these boring races lap after lap one guy leading. One overtaking down at the bottom where number 11 driver overtakes number 10. Racing done in pits, thats all there is too it.
Nascar and Indy are much exciting to watch. With Michelin leaving the sport as well in the future, F1 is soon going to loose all its charm.
I have followed this sport from 1993 and tried not to miss a single race since than, those were the days when Damon Hill and Schcumi fought it out, than came Villenueve and took the racing scene by sensation... Than interesting comeback by Mc Laren and than just a boring Michael Era. Now a boring Alonso era, no fun drivers like Alesi, Burger, Hakinnen, now Monti and Viuleneve..... Might has well have a 3 car race between Kimi, Alonso and Michael.
The whole sensation from this sport has gone. Why even call it a F1, lets just rename it to Euro F1.
Let Schumi and his bandwagon of F1 bosses bend the rules, break them, stop in the middle of the road, race with just 3 teams, change tyre rules, bang drivers who are going to win the championship and get away with it.... and let a guy like Monti who has ***** enough to race them be termed as a foul player.....
This is not racing anymore, just see some fast cars and pit stops....
At least formula 1 has lost one viewer who watched almost all races for the last 10 years.

Cable Operators, please start airing Nascar in India.... If we can watch F1, that doesnt have any Indian driver (not tester), no Indian circuit, than we can watch Nascar as well.... Someone show us some real racing now. We deserve it!
Old 12th July 2006, 16:33   #39
BANNED

LOL!
Somewhere headlines should read.. MONTOYA DUMPED LIKE A HOT POTATO!

Last edited by 2L8uLoose : 12th July 2006 at 16:34.
Old 12th July 2006, 17:14   #40
BANNED

Good luck and good riddance...
Old 12th July 2006, 19:15   #41
BANNED

OT. Now why does'nt Schumacher (yes, the elder one) leaves F1 and go for WRC. He can park his car anywhere in the jungle there.

BTW,With Monty gone, will the fortunes change at Mclaren?
Old 13th July 2006, 01:09   #42
BHPian

With Monty gone, McLaren's fortunes can only go up. If De La Rosa drives for the rest of the season, Hamilton gets the test-driver's seat, which could well prepare him for a race-seat next season, providing Kimi leaves (which seems obvious right now, though I'd prefer if he doesn't).
Old 13th July 2006, 07:08   #43
BHPian

Great

I think it's a fair decision by McLaren to drop Montoya immediately, especially after his performance in the current season so far. His driving style was aggressive and entertaining for the spectators. He did manage to perform better than Kimi a couple of times, but the ratio would have been 4:100.
It's good to see that younger drivers like Pedro and Hamilton getting a chance to prove themselves in Formula 1. Wonder when will Schumacher retire.
Old 14th July 2006, 15:15   #44
BHPian

Schumachers thoughts on NASCAR:
http://www.espnstar.com/formula1/for...l_1741107.html
& personally, I agree.
Same thing was echoed by Nico Rosberg in Thursdays FIA press-conference.
Old 14th July 2006, 15:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
Slightly OT here--

Ermmm, not every driver
and i can name a few
Jaques Villenueve- almost won his first race
Damon Hill, had a pretty damn good first year with williams
Ditto for David Coulthard- victory in his first year
Michael Schumacher - darn good first year

The point is- while hamilton is young, He is Leading the GP2 series
The top 2 GP2 guys from Last year are alredy in F1- Nico Rosberg (hardly anyone had heard of him or gave him a chance) & Heikki Kovalienen- currentsly renaults tester and likely to gill the 2nd seat if Kimi doesnt go there

The question is, does ron dennis risk pairing a rookie like him with Alonso and hope that it doesnt destroy hamiltons confidence??
or stick him in another team

Simply saying Kimi is unique- and using that argument to dismiss the possibility of Hamilton getting a seat is not really backing up your argument

The possibility of Hamilton landing a race seat for next year is far greater than the possibility of any other F1 rookie apart from Kovalienen.
The guys in line for a possible drive are Gary Paffet, Wurtz??, Hamilton, Kovalienen
damon hill had clocked over 18,000 miles in 2 yrs in a williams before landing a race seat..
hamilton hasnt even sat in an F1 car

in 1996, Villenueve was driving the quickest car in the field by a long margin..
(damon hill qualified in the top 2 for EVERY race that year)
but an awesome performance by Villenueve no doubt

david coulthard had a year and a half of testing in his williams before he was thrust upon the race seat after senna's death

shumi wasnt in a top F1 team in his 1st year of F1..

u need to have a training period in F1.. thats the way to do it..
alonso spent a yr at minardi.. kimi in a sauber

williams knews rosberg would not be anyhere close to fighting for the championship in his 1st year in F1

mclaren on the other hand have become the biggest spenders in F1.. their intention clearly being to win the 2007 championship with alonso..
they need someone reliable, experienced and consistent alongside him
i'm pretty sure the mclaren spare 2007 seat is not going to a complete rookie

i would choose pedro de la rosa if kimi leaves in 2007..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks