Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2014, 01:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

What a race!!!! Awesome job by Ricciardo. Massa's crash with Perez was really scary.

Really sorry for Hamilton he had the pace for the victory today.
Old 9th June 2014, 01:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Canada GP - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve - Race Thread

On the one hand, I'm absolutely heartbroken.
First to see Perez loose out on possibly first place due to broken DRS.
Second the Idiot massa completely wrecked not only Perezs but also FIs massive point maul. Useless moron. Also, the guy I'm cheering for WDC with DNF : (.

On the other, I'm very very very happy to see Daniel get his first win : ).
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 01:39   #18
BHPian

What. A. Race.

Mercs power issues made the race 1 billion times more exciting.
Massively happy for Dani Ricciardo, fantastic drive and fantastic move on Perez.

Driver of the day for me is definitely Nico Rosberg, managing to put a Mercedes with a basically non-functional MGU-K in 2nd place. The pace of the Merc is insane, managing to get 2nd while lacking 160 HP for 33 secs per lap. Crazy. Imagine the speed when they are running full power.

Crash at the end for Perez and Massa was massive hope both are OK.
nipcarlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 01:57   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent Race!! Thanks to the Merc issues, if not it would have been just Roseberg and Hamilton.
Lap 66: P2-P5 within 2-3 seconds from the race leader. Not sure, when this kind of finish happened before. P6-P8 were not far behind as well.
Excellent drive by Perez and Hulk as well for FI.
Vettel struggled behind FI, Ricciardo showed the way overtaking them and finally finished with P1 as well
Old 9th June 2014, 05:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wat a race!! I thought Bahrain was an absolute fantastic race but I think this come close. Nico and hamilton had the race under their control and just when I thought that it will be a P1 and P2 for mercedes , all starts going wrong for the team. But a brilliant drive from mercedes conserving his car and managing to take P2.

The riccardo guy is absolutely brilliant. To outperform a guy who is a 4 time champion race in and race out shows how brilliant he has been and hope he continues in the same vein throughout the season. Funny that bad thing to happen in the race had to happen in the last lap. Massa had a brilliant race till then and to somehow wreck it in a moment of madness ( I still dont know whose fault it is. Was Perez losing much power and Massa under estimated the braking distance or what) and also Perez's its unfair. Vettel just escaped by a second to manage to get a P3!!

Made up my weekend what with Nadal winning the french open just before the race.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 10:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Really happy for Daniel! Well done!

Mercedes is letting their drivers race and they are having to turn the wick right up on the W05 even though others are nowhere. This is when the cars are most vulnerable. I am sure Merc can easily bring both cars home with a one-two in all races if they exercise team orders. But that will make for a very boring season for all. I hope it doesn't go that way and the fight continues. Lewis' second DNF has now given Nico a good advantage in the championship. Lewis is going to need some back to back wins now and an occasional RBR on the second step.

And Perez was held responsible for his high-speed collision with Felipe Massa on the last lap. Vettel did well to avoid being collected by Massa. https://vine.co/v/MD07j6lMTeW
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

What a race! Thanks to the Mercs problem race became alive! Totally gutted by Massa's collision. 5 place penalty is too less for such a big accident.

Great drive by Rosberg to bring the car home. During the race I heard Rosberg asking his engineer about how Lewis was so much faster (during the 2nd stint). He was told Lewis had better rear brakes bias. If what I heard was correct, it seems what made Lewis faster also wrecked his brakes when the problem happened.
Old 9th June 2014, 12:23   #23
gpa
Senior - BHPian

This race kept me on the edge of my seat! I'm disappointed by the Ferraris lack of pace but stunning drive by Ricciardo! Its interesting to see how the change in fortunes can affect anyone this season and I'm gutted at the outcome for Perez who sure could have snatched a win if not for the problems he faced.
Old 9th June 2014, 12:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Useless race!
When hamilton was pumped up, and could have trailed off with rosberg in the sunset after the opening lap, the SC came out.
Went for dinner, and Hammy retired.
Mclaren still racing for GP2, apparently.

Force India, again banged in the bum, this time by ex-ferrari, to take away a podium... no offence meant here, please!

And RBR resurgent!!
Sone pe multiple suhagas!!
Old 9th June 2014, 12:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

What a race it was! Really happy to have stayed awake late and risked a late arrival in office. Feel really happy to see Ricciardo taking the top spot. Glad that Mercedes won't get a clean sweep this season with the ban on in-season engine development making it nearly impossible for others to catch up.

Have to give it to Rosberg in nursing that car into P2. No sympathies to Hamilton this time around since it was Hamilton's aggressive driving style that probably took away his brakes before Rosberg's.

Ricciardo drove a faultless and amazing race. There is no need to elaborate his performance any further - it was his day!

Vettel was really lucky not to have been eliminated from a podium spot due to Massa-Perez clash. In case Massa had passed Perez cleanly in that turn, it would have been interesting to see if Vettel might have stayed ahead at the finish line.

Massa and Perez drove fantastically till the last lap and I initially thought it was Massa's fault though the replays proved otherwise. I hope Perez learns a lesson or two regarding the where the line for aggressive moves should be drawn. That is an area he has consistently got away with because others around him played safe to avoid a collision. Its a pity both of them went away without any points from the race.

Button drove a sedate race and still finished P4 just by capitalizing on others' mistakes while not committing any from his side- reminded me of the "hare and tortoise tale".

Good job by Hulk again in holding up the faster cars behind him. He is establishing himself as a "Berlin Wall" on track that separates cars ahead from the cars behind!

Alonso had a lackluster race. The only moment I enjoyed was when Massa breezed past Alonso. That literally brought me a smile. Looking at the way Kimi's Ferrari failed to generate temperature into the rear tyres after the pitstop, it doesn't look like there was much that either Ferrari driver could have done. Both of them ended up finishing ahead of where they really deserved based on how they drove.
Old 9th June 2014, 14:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Alonso had a lackluster race. The only moment I enjoyed was when Massa breezed past Alonso. That literally brought me a smile.
I could almost imagine Massa overtaking Alonso and thinking to himself "Fernando is faster than me! My foot!"
Old 9th June 2014, 15:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Great race.. nail biting stuff! Red Bull did really well to finish 1 & 3 at a Mercedes track.
Merc engines were really flying on the straights.. top speed of 341 for Massa!

Rosberg was really lucky and drove well, learning from Hamilton's DNF and changing the brake bias to the front and nurse the car back in P2.

The Force India's ruined everyone else's race strategy! There was no way past till the end.

Button sneaked in with P4.

Ferrari werent as quick as expected. Alonso drove really well again to finish 40s ahead of Kimi.. He is at a different level altogether in the same car Kimi is completely struggling with.

Shame about Perez and Massa.. they really should have brought home a bunch of points.
Old 9th June 2014, 15:16   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Red Bull Racing are quite possibly the best F1 team ever.

I mean, how many other teams have a four-time driver's champion as their #2 driver?
Old 9th June 2014, 15:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Red Bull Racing are quite possibly the best F1 team ever.

I mean, how many other teams have a four-time driver's champion as their #2 driver?
Ricciardo has the potential to be a future F1 champion and RBR would eventually come back on top in a year or two, now that Newey is confirmed to continue with them.

Had Kimi done better than Alonso, we could have said similar things about Ferrari too though they are not even in the top 3 teams on the grid. They are just battling it out with Force India, Williams and McLaren for the #3 team.

In terms of the championship standings, Alonso is on the way down while Kimi is on his way up even if slowly. Kimi cannot go below P12 in standings - so there is only one direction he can move and might eventually climb up to P8 or so. Alonso, similarly would drop down to P5 or P6 given the dominance of Red Bulls in the battle for the best of the rest with Williams and Force India showing enough promise to get decent haul of points at least in some weekends. Ricciardo has taken over the best of the rest crown with this win and Vettel too is likely to overtake Alonso in the standings soon given the better performance of Red Bulls. Alonso might eventually find himself battling with Hulk for P5-P6 in the standings. FI is doing what Kimi did during last 2 years - doing one stop less than others to compensate for the lack of performance. They cannot challenge for wins but a P5-P7 is an almost guaranteed finishing position for them with this strategy especially given the consistency shown by Hulkenberg.

Last edited by zenren : 9th June 2014 at 15:49.
Old 9th June 2014, 20:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Topsy-turvy race that! Just when the Mercs looked to have sown up another 1-2, the unimaginable happens. But full credit to Ricciardo. A brilliant and determined drive from the ever-smiling Aussie. Kudos also to Rosberg for hanging in there for second place, despite the brake issue.

The Perez-Massa collision, at first glance, seemed like Massa ran into the back of Perez. But now it emerges that Perez cut across under braking? Too close to call.

Ferrari and McLaren have a lot to do if they are to make something of this year. If Ferrari does not deliver a competitive car in the next few races, you can be sure that the silly season will go into overdrive with the possibility of Alonso leaving the Scuderia.

Most Viewed