Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2006, 22:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Eddie Jordan defends Michael Schumacher

Former F1 team principal Eddie Jordan has come out in defence of Michael Schumacher, following the Ferrari driver’s controversial “parking” incident at Monaco in May.

Jordan, who gave Schumacher his Formula 1 debut at Spa in 1991, said in his latest column for F1 Racing that there is a difference between gamesmanship and cheating and that the German’s actions in qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix – where he was found to have deliberately stopped his car at La Rascasse corner hindering the progress of others - were not preconceived.

“As a former insider this is my take: Alonso was threatening the pole, so when Michael locked up at Rascasse, he thought, ‘Holy ****!’,” said Jordan.

“Then in a split-second unsporting moment, parked the car.

“I notice he later apologised to Fernando, which was correct. Why on earth did other drivers not within seconds of Michael’s time, think they should get involved? The fact is, the finger pointers are jealous of Michael.”

Jordan added that while he considered Schumacher’s actions to be ill-advised, he felt the recriminations which followed were wholly disproportionate.

“Yes Michael’s move was questionable,” he said. “But he was punished so let’s not have a witch hunt.”

“He’s already lost credibility, which is a pity, because Michael is the cleverest and the quickest and doesn’t need to play tricks.

“In years to come it would be a crime if he was remember for something he wasn’t – a cheat.”

Source - www.itv-f1.com
Old 25th July 2006, 20:05   #2
BHPian

This is a very tricky topic indeed, and as we know, it will resurface again and again.

It is said that Schumaker's arrogance has basically been handed over to the instance between him and the late Ayrton Senna, when the latter deliberately baulked him during the Brazilian GP. Even though Schumaker complained, there was no action taken and Schumi was apparently left looking a li'l foolish. That's when he decided that he would follow in Senna's footsteps.

We also remember how Schumi tried to take out Jacques Villeneuve in 97, and even Hakkinen was on the receiving end from Schumi in F3 in 1990, and also an instance at Le Mans in 1990 in the European Cup, when Schumi jumped into the car, parked it in the middle of the track and walked off.

Now, I am not trying to pick on Schumi, but the statement "Michael is the cleverest and the quickest and doesn’t need to play tricks." is questionable.
Old 26th July 2006, 00:17   #3
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Eddie Jordan once said that Schumacher was better than Fangio bcoz, & I quote:"He has to drive more races in a season."
And ofcourse he was 1 of the first to criticize Michael after the Monaco incident. (Now, Now Eddie, dont try to deny it. I still have my F1 mag with ur article in it.)
So basically, I dont really care much about what Eddie says about Schumacher. As for the "witch-hunt", Eddie is simply quoting & repeating Bernie Ecclestone.

Most Viewed