Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 19:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Belgian GP - Circuit of Spa Francorchamps - Race Thread

What a race! Great driving from Ricciardo, Bottas, Magnussen and Raikkonen.

Race result:
2014 Belgian GP - Circuit of Spa Francorchamps - Race Thread-screenshot_20140824190420.png

More comments to follow once I'm back
Old 24th August 2014, 20:46   #17
BHPian

What a great race!!

Great driving all around, and was quite something to see the Red Bulls go so fast!

And the big question of the day, is Nico at fault for bumping into Lewis and effectively ruining his race? I think yes.

I'm quite surprised there wasn't a penalty after that, hmm.

Was a real shame to see young Lotterer retire on his debut race, he looked pretty cheerful before the start.

And I think Magnussen might get a penalty too, for pushing Alonso off the track.
Old 24th August 2014, 22:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Impressive win for Ricciardo. Apart from capitalizing on others mistakes, he hardly seems to make any of his own. Taking about mistakes, Rosberg's move on Hamilton was a bit too ambitious. The 1-2 was there for the taking for Mercedes. Hamilton has it all to do, once again.
Old 24th August 2014, 22:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ricciardo - Amazing pace, faultless driving and exceptional tyre management skills shown by him is the reason why he has won 3 races in this season dominated by Mercedes. WDC material for sure and it is a pity he wouldn't get it this year. Driver of the year by a big margin, in my opinion!

Rosberg - "Right place at the right time" as far as his Mercedes seat goes. "Wrong place at the wrong time" as far as his incident with Hamilton goes. I can't believe he got away without even an investigation for that incident! (Or did they investigate? I didn't see any Race Control messages on this) He is really lucky and his luck continues, considering how he managed to extend his championship lead after his error cost Hamilton crucial championship points.

Bottas - The second youngster after Ricciardo who has huge future potential has shown how to race to the fellow world champions racing alongside. Another example for how to manage your tyres while still lapping marginally faster than others.

Raikkonen - Finally he delivers, in his favourite track. Even without the 5 second penalty, it was unlikely that Alonso might have finished ahead of Kimi. The consecutive fastest laps by Kimi after the first stop to undercut Alonso and the decision to take a gamble with the 2-stop strategy clearly shows how Ferrari didn't want Kimi to challenge Alonso on track. Great tyre management from him to make that set of mediums last the distance, though I think he would be thankful to Magnussen for holding up the rest of the pack behind to allow him clean air. Otherwise, he was a sitting duck if Vettel and Button had caught up with him

Vettel - Great start into turn 1 and good defending of a wingless Rosberg, but otherwise a mediocre performance. Considering his team mate won the race, I'm not sure if even mediocre is a little liberal. He might have ended up in the same place without the last pit stop, considering his mediums were a lap younger than Kimi's set that saw through to the end.

Magnussen - Great performance and skills shown in holding back all the World Champions behind him for a considerable time. Vettel and Button eventually got past him while Alonso finally managed to get past after the race.

Button - drove a conservative race throughout and didn't really cause any errors. So it was not really entertaining but still a good performance.

Alonso - Clearly not his weekend, right from the start. The incident with Magnussen finally played out in his favour but even Alonso should have been a little more cautious when fighting with someone when both are on worn out mediums. There was certainly the risk of Magnussen or himself taking both of them out with minimal grip from the tyres.

Hamilton - Bad luck continues and the championship hopes get a little dim. In retrospect, he should have saved the engine if he was out of reach of P6. A couple of points is not really worth the miles that the engine clocks, considering the penalty for an extra engine component.

Others - Were they part of the same race?

Last edited by zenren : 24th August 2014 at 22:47.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 23:35   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes needs to put both its drivers in a locked room for some time. A straight one two turned into such a disappointing outcome.

However, what soothes a little is the constant bashing finger boy is getting from Daniel. It's just uncanny. Wait, change that to thrashing!: )
Old 25th August 2014, 00:17   #21
BHPian

This is getting very interesting. Rosberg admits that he deliberately hit Hamilton to prove a point about what happened at Hungary.

Source - http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ro...cedes-confirms

Now let's see if Mercedes decides to take action against Nico.

Last edited by TheInterceptor : 25th August 2014 at 00:22.
TheInterceptor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 00:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
This is getting very interesting. Rosberg admits that he deliberately hit Hamilton to prove a point about what happened at Hungary.

Source - http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ro...cedes-confirms

Now let's see if Mercedes decides to take action against Nico.
I'm not sure if Mercedes can really take any action against Nico.

However, FIA can take action up to stripping him off his points if it is found that it was a deliberate incident which violated the sporting spirit.

Considering the WDC getting tilted to one-side after this race, FIA would be happy to strip Rosberg off the points from this race to bring the championship battle back to where it was. That would increase the TV viewership- so they might do it.
Old 25th August 2014, 00:37   #23
BHPian

It was Nico's mistake definitely. Even before Niki Lauda commented on it (after the race), I was sure Mercedes management would be having a good talk with Nico regarding the incidence and asking him to take it easy.

As it is I never liked the arrogant German and the news posted by TheInterceptor makes me hate him even more. There is such an air of arrogance surrounding him! :@

Happy to see Kimi perform well and I was praying for him to finish on the podium but deep within I knew it wasn't possible, given the two Mercedes powered cars (of Nico and Bottas) behind him..

The action between the two McLarens, Vet and Alo towards the end was quite a sight! Man, the way were fighting it out, a great show.

-Bhargav
Old 25th August 2014, 00:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Eventful race. Happy kimi got things in order.. Really surprised how the Red Bulls managed all that top speed.. Magic wing! We were all convinced the merc powered cars would just breeze past.
Nico admitted he didn't do anything to avoid the incident but did not intentionally cause it. Quite silly.. But what makes it interesting is that Hamilton being 29 points behind can't return the favor.. He has more to lose by not closing the gap. So he is on the back foot..
Ric faultless again.. Definitely benefiting from Merc misfortune
Old 25th August 2014, 06:49   #25
BHPian

Daniel Ricciardo/Red Bull one of the best comebacks ever. It was a Mercedes or Williams territory, but these guys win. I think Red Bull is a fine car bit down on power. Vettel hasn't adjusted to either the turbos or brake by wire. The latter was reported in the media.

Kimi shows he is definitely one of the spa experts.
Old 25th August 2014, 08:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

I missed the race as I was on a short holiday and just saw the last few laps. Alonso would have come out on top in that almighty scrap if not for Magnussen pushing the Ferrari off the track. And he got a rightful penalty and 2 penalty points on his licence.

It amazing how Nico always does something, gets away with it and increases his championship lead.

Can the ice cool Ricciardo win the championship like Kimi in 2007? Looks difficult, but its a possibility though. The RB10 will have to decrease the performance deficit and Ricciardo should continue to take the maximum out should the 2 Mercedes drivers take points off each other. And given the farce that is the double points finale, anything can happen.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 08:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Can the ice cool Ricciardo win the championship like Kimi in 2007? Looks difficult, but its a possibility though. The RB10 will have to decrease the performance deficit and Ricciardo should continue to take the maximum out should the 2 Mercedes drivers take points off each other. And given the farce that is the double points finale, anything can happen.
Now that you mention it, there are more similarities to the 2007 season. Alonso lost the support of McLaren through the season due to spygate while Rosberg seems to be taking similar route with crashgate-v2.
Old 25th August 2014, 09:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

I get the feeling that Rosberg knows he is not going to beat Hamilton in a straight fight. Hence the need to 'prove a point'. I still think Hamilton will catch and beat him.
Old 25th August 2014, 09:10   #29
BHPian

Riccardo is such likeable guy and the way he outclassing Vettel shows that he is real superstar. And finally KIMI upping his game and good to see him having a good race.
Nico-Lewis crash added masala to race. It was rather unfortunate it led to puncture of tyre. I definitely agree that the contact(it is not a crash by any means) would have been avoided by Nico. And for sure it is not something Nico had planned to do exactly to puncture Lewis tyre. But I feel it is a racing incident inclined towards Nico's fault. But it is blown way out of proportion by media and Lewis not helping by being the Drama queen he is. He should not have come out and spoke like that.
I am amazed at how Mercedes management has dealt with the situation. Hope they wont crack upto the pressure and show their favoritism towards the rest of the championship.
Old 25th August 2014, 09:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Exactly what i was thinking. Ricciardo is 64 points behind at the moment. Last race winner gets 50 points. If Rosberg/Hamilton collide again, even 50 point lead can be wiped off. Also remember Ricciardo's 2nd place was taken away in Aus after his car was disqualified. I only hope Ricciardo doesn't lose it by less than 18 points in the end.

Rosberg is being cocky, when he says he did it (not avoiding contact) to prove a point. He is not going to win any supporters like that. And we know how Lewis likes to play the victim card always. So we can expect some off-track action!

Happy that Kimi finally had a clean race all by himself and was able to show what he can do. He/Ferrari need to keep this going if Ferrari can think of winning again. Ferrari have been betting on the wrong horse for quite some time.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 25th August 2014 at 09:38.

Most Viewed