Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 21:08   #136
MCR
BHPian

Re: The 2015 F1 Season

So Alonso has confirmed that he would continue in F1 next year! But it won't be a Mercedes powered team.
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/...ost-finalised-

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/10/1...us-plans-2015/

So its going to be either JB or KV out of McLaren in 2015. But its a bit dicey considering JB said this :
http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/formula1/29040537

Does it mean JB is confirmed for 2015?
Old 12th October 2014, 21:52   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
So its going to be either JB or KV out of McLaren in 2015. But its a bit dicey considering JB said this :
http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/formula1/29040537

Does it mean JB is confirmed for 2015?
I think all JB said was that he is at a point in his career where even a retirement is not really a disaster for him. He would probably start doing what he might have planned to do a couple of years later a little earlier. So the uncertainty is not really going to be a huge worry for him.

However, for Magnussen, this is the formative years of his career and not being in an competitive car is probably going to destroy his career. So there is much more pressure on Magnussen than on Button to remain with McLaren since there are not really any other options available on the grid except seats at Toro Rosso and Marussia.

That said, anyone who can hang on to the mid-field grid for a couple more years have a huge advantage with Alonso, Raikkonen, Button and Massa likely to retire to open up some top seats that are elusive to upcoming drivers.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:28   #138
Senior - BHPian

Would be really pissed of with RD if he let's JB has to retire. I would prefer him any day over Massa (who unfortunately has a contract with my fav. team Williams). Would also love to see him against Alonso and see how he fares. Considering how he fared against Hamilton, he might surprise a few.

If he is picked over KMag, where does he go? Mclaren were so impressed by him in the simulator but has he converted that to track? Mclaren seem to be becoming the new STR where young drivers careers are over before they start.
Old 13th October 2014, 14:06   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Would be really pissed of with RD if he let's JB has to retire. I would prefer him any day over Massa (who unfortunately has a contract with my fav. team Williams). Would also love to see him against Alonso and see how he fares. Considering how he fared against Hamilton, he might surprise a few.

If he is picked over KMag, where does he go? Mclaren were so impressed by him in the simulator but has he converted that to track? Mclaren seem to be becoming the new STR where young drivers careers are over before they start.
JB has an year of shelf life. KMag needs mentoring like Grosjean had.

Yeah, I agree on any day JB is better than Massa. It's a comedy watching Massa driving in the rain. Massa is past his sell-by date. Bottas is quite experienced these days to give feedback on the car. Williams should be quite hard and ditch Massa and probably take JB for an year or even JEV.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:31   #140
Senior - BHPian

Away from the dilly dallying by Alonso and some news on why Mercedes will continue to dominate through 2015 (at the very least) in similar vain. So, Lewis a three time world champion by 2016?

Read this brilliant piece by James Allen To unfreeze or not to unfreeze. Don't miss.

Some excerpts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA on F1
Mercedes argues that the Singapore meeting was an informal discussion on the topic (to introduce one ‘unfreeze’ window on 2015) and in principle they were interested, but when the vote came in Sochi, at which the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone voted in favour of the unfreeze, there were details which were not acceptable to Mercedes, such as that the updates in the ‘unfreeze’ window had to be made simultaneously available to all teams and with no additional costs passed on to customers. Mercedes will supply eight cars in 2015, Honda just two.

Now the indications are that Mercedes and its three customer teams will vote against it in the next F1 Commission meeting and that will mean it will not pass for 2015 as unanimity is needed to get something through for next year. But everyone accepts that it will be adopted for 2016 at that same F1 commission meeting.

It is noticeable that the volume has been turned up on this debate since rumours began to emerge that Mercedes’ power unit upgrade for 2015 is a significant one, so it looks possible that next season could be as Mercedes-dominated as this year has been.

When the hybrid turbo rules were being drawn up all parties discussed what would happen if one manufacturer got a giant leap and it was agreed by all teams and manufacturers that this would not be in the best interest of the sport. The outcome was the rule we have whereby development is permitted on selected areas of the Power Units at the end of the 2014 and 2015 seasons, then the engines will be locked. In retrospect this was not enough.

Horner’s Red Bull team won four straight world championships with dominant years in 2011 and 2013, but the ban on various aspects of the exhaust blown diffusers on which those championships were largely won, were sudden and did knock the team back along the way. But they still bounced back to win each time, as Mercedes probably would from an ‘unfreeze’, simply because they do a better job with this technology than the others. The chassis also plays a part, of course.
I agree with Horner here. RBR really took all the rule changes to curb their adventure with aerodynamics very sportingly and bounced back every single time to claim all those trophies. I see no reason why Mercedes can't do the same if the engine unfreeze happens. They are really very much ahead now and they shouldn't worry much.

And the technology war is just as exciting as the racing on the track. That's the essence of F1. Besides, I really want to see a competent Ferrari, Renault, Honda(?) engine fighting it out with Mercedes. Now, there is a significant gap and it got to be bridged for the better of the sport.

I think unfreeze will happen, but Mercedes is trying to delay it as much as possible to reduce the window. Can't blame them, others got to work smart to get close. Will be interesting!

Last edited by deetjohn : 14th October 2014 at 11:42. Reason: Adding text.
Old 14th October 2014, 17:31   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Away from the dilly dallying by Alonso and some news on why Mercedes will continue to dominate through 2015 (at the very least) in similar vain. So, Lewis a three time world champion by 2016?

Read this brilliant piece by James Allen To unfreeze or not to unfreeze. Don't miss.

Some excerpts.

I agree with Horner here. RBR really took all the rule changes to curb their adventure with aerodynamics very sportingly and bounced back every single time to claim all those trophies. I see no reason why Mercedes can't do the same if the engine unfreeze happens. They are really very much ahead now and they shouldn't worry much.

And the technology war is just as exciting as the racing on the track. That's the essence of F1. Besides, I really want to see a competent Ferrari, Renault, Honda(?) engine fighting it out with Mercedes. Now, there is a significant gap and it got to be bridged for the better of the sport.

I think unfreeze will happen, but Mercedes is trying to delay it as much as possible to reduce the window. Can't blame them, others got to work smart to get close. Will be interesting!
I agree, they have been smart enough compared to the others. The blend of the engine and chassis has been splendid . No wonder they are pissed off for the others to ask without shame for an unfreeze.
Having done that, they might not say no as they can be caught up with something similar in the next coming years and would like to have some leeway in negotiations.
Old 14th October 2014, 18:08   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
I agree, they have been smart enough compared to the others. The blend of the engine and chassis has been splendid . No wonder they are pissed off for the others to ask without shame for an unfreeze.
Having done that, they might not say no as they can be caught up with something similar in the next coming years and would like to have some leeway in negotiations.
More importantly, if unfreeze is not granted, Renault might very well start losing interest in F1 engine development and even Ferrari might start exploring other avenues. If Honda engine is not as good as Mercedes, even they might leave F1 after a few seasons. If they cannot certainly win for another 2-3 years and they cannot do development as well, that might lead to a demise of F1 as a whole. FIA and FOM are clearly reading these signs and that is why they are supporting the unfreeze now.

Bernie is boasting about running 3 car teams now if back markers drop off. However, can he really afford losing the few iconic teams from F1 if they do not stand a chance to win? Due to obligations, they might still be in F1 but with a shoe string budget if they know they cannot win in the current engine regime.
Old 15th October 2014, 15:40   #143
Senior - BHPian

Autosport.com has reported that they do not intend to release Sebastien Vettel even a day before his current contract expires as this shuts the door for him to test with his new team for the post Abu Dhabi season finale test. Not surprising as this is what most teams do when their ace driver leaves.
Old 16th October 2014, 11:30   #144
Senior - BHPian

Finally an authority comments on Alonso's move. Outgoing chairman of Ferrari Luca Di Montezemolo has stated publicly that Alonso will be leaving the Ferrari team.

Quote:
16 October 2014 – Fernando Alonso is to leave Ferrari at the end of the current season after five campaigns on board, Luca di Montezemolo, who departed his role as company President earlier this week, has confirmed.

Speculation over the 33-year-old's Formula 1 future has intensified since Sebastian Vettel announced his Red Bull exit and Christian Horner clarified that the four-time World Champion will be racing for Ferrari from 2015.

"Alonso is leaving for two reasons. One, because he wants another environment. Two, because he is an age at which he cannot wait to win again," explained di Montezemolo, who has been replaced by Sergio Marchionne, the CEO of Ferrari parent company Fiat, in a wide-ranging interview on Italian television programme Porta a Porta.

Alonso joined Ferrari in 2010 but has failed to add to the two world titles he claimed at Renault. He has finished runner-up in the championship in three of the past four seasons, while he sits sixth in this year's standings.

"He was disappointed that he has not won over these years and needs new stimulus," added di Montezemolo.

Alonso has been tipped to return to McLaren next season, when the squad's works engine deal with Honda begins. While there is also talk of the Spaniard taking a sabbatical, with a view to securing a seat at Mercedes in 2016, he stated at last weekend's Russian Grand Prix that there is "probably not a big risk" of him doing so.
Source: GPupdate.net

Last edited by Fullrevs : 16th October 2014 at 11:31. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 16th October 2014, 14:02   #145
BHPian

Now this is interesting.. If Alonso leaves Ferrari for McLaren, that means Button's out, because KMag's looking pretty good for a debutant.

Here's to hoping Macca and Honda come out with a screamer next year. I can't wait to see Alonso take a WDC, and KMag live up to his potential.
Old 16th October 2014, 23:31   #146
Senior - BHPian

What would happen to Alonso if he decides to take the sabbatical and Lewis extends his contract after the final race for 2016 and beyond. Based on the reports from the Mercedes camp, their first choice is their current line-up and I don't see either of the drivers wanting to give up the seat that assures a fighting chance to championship.
Old 17th October 2014, 03:49   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
What would happen to Alonso if he decides to take the sabbatical and Lewis extends his contract after the final race for 2016 and beyond. Based on the reports from the Mercedes camp, their first choice is their current line-up and I don't see either of the drivers wanting to give up the seat that assures a fighting chance to championship.
"They have since been warned by Mercedes boss Toto Wolff that the team would have to consider changing their driver line-up "if we are not able to manage the two of them following the Mercedes-Benz racing spirit"."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29094215

The problem here is that the racing is close, but in doing so, both are effectively constantly getting in each others' way. This isn't much of a problem now, but when the other teams play "catch-up" and put out a quick car, it's going to become a problem for Mercedes.
Old 17th October 2014, 10:53   #148
Senior - BHPian

Despite all that driver friction a couple months ago, it seems that Hamilton is stomping his authority on Rosberg.

Honda maybe non-committal in giving Alonso just a one year contract. Mclaren have stated that they are looking for a strong and consistent line-up to anchor the Mclaren-Honda partnership. My opinion is to give K Mag a drive in a lower team, maybe Force India. Let Button and Alonso go at it for a couple years.
Old 17th October 2014, 10:58   #149
Senior - BHPian

Alonso' ex boss Stefano Domenicali is moving to Audi' all conquering Le Mans teams in a non motor racing role. Source

So, that's an option for the Spaniard if McLaren is not willing to give him a one year contract for 2015 with riders. If Alonso is not there on the grid in 2015, it will be a huge shame. Though I guess, he will have only himself to blame.

Last edited by deetjohn : 17th October 2014 at 10:59. Reason: typo.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:55   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
"They have since been warned by Mercedes boss Toto Wolff that the team would have to consider changing their driver line-up "if we are not able to manage the two of them following the Mercedes-Benz racing spirit"."
Is Alonso really the right driver if team wants to ensure there would be no preferences between drivers and both drivers get equal treatment?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks