Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2014, 13:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2015 F1 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
If we loose two teams this year and eccelstone doesn't get all the teams to roll with three cars doesn't this mean he looses his 100 year commercial rights deal with the FIA.

It's my understanding these are one of the terms under which he was granted those rights, 24 or 22 cars at the least on the grid.
That is where drivers like Maldonando and Sirotkin fits in. We might see some more paid drivers for these struggling teams to ensure they stay on the grid. When a paid driver is just 1 out of 3 cars in the team, more teams would be willing to go that route to ensure they stay above water and at the same time fight for points with other 2 drivers. 3rd slot most likely is going to be reserved for paid drivers in case of most smaller teams.
Old 4th October 2014, 17:59   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
That is where drivers like Maldonando and Sirotkin fits in. We might see some more paid drivers for these struggling teams to ensure they stay on the grid.
Oh you're saying the little teams could stay on but have 2 pay drivers instead of 1 as it is currently.

Could be all 3 I guess. Yes, this is a possibility.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 18:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Oh you're saying the little teams could stay on but have 2 pay drivers instead of 1 as it is currently.

Could be all 3 I guess. Yes, this is a possibility.
Not all smaller teams but some. Caterham and Lotus might be off the grid unless someone buys them and refinances. Just getting another paid driver would not solve their problems.

Lotus would be re-calculating their finances in terms of how hiring a paid driver helped them. Agreed that Maldonado brought $30 million with him but he made Lotus spend half of it repairing his car. In terms of the overall standings, finishing 8th in constructors instead of the usual 4th in last couple of years when Kimi was around would mean a serious dent in the year-end earnings from FIA and could mean a bigger deficit than Maldonado's sponsorship. They are probably in a worse shape than what they started the year with.

Sauber might actually end up trying to get a bigger sponsorship via Sirotkin for the race seat and probably even have another paid driver if there are 3 spots available to ensure they stay float. Their yearly forecast wouldn't have anticipated a P10 in WCC for sure and they are going to end up getting much lower than what they would have expected at the beginning of the season.

Force India wouldn't probably mind another 'sponsored' driver if a 3rd spot opens up, since their finances are not as strong as others in their league.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 23:30   #94
BHPian

Alonso leaving ferrarri at end of 2014 season with Vettel joining ferrarri, saw on news channel.
Old 5th October 2014, 01:32   #95
Senior - BHPian

My gut feeling is that Alonso will be moving to a Merc powered Lotus next year
Old 5th October 2014, 21:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

Its definitely not about the car. With that heavy under-powered PU, Ferrari has built a much better chassis and are doing much better than teams that he has been rumored to be joining soon.

It was certain clauses in his contract that were touched by the new boss and things went haywire from there. To add to Alonso's decision, the Ferrari president who built this team around Alonso at Ferrari was fired too, then it was the death of Emilio Botin who was strongly funding Alonso's growth in F1. It was time for Alonso to find some fresh water, even now he has not signed anything with McLaren. But waiting on a seat with Mercedes. The recent rumors suggest a contract discussion of 1 year was still in discussion with McLaren.

Vettel & Kimi at Ferrari, I would have wanted Bianchi. But life is so cruel at times, too bad for that wonderful kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Is the second part true. Vettel's chief mechanic is out of RBR but there does not seem any other change. Who would step into Vettel's role ??

And I want to hear from @Anachronix on Alonso moving out of Ferrari.
Old 5th October 2014, 23:02   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Its definitely not about the car. With that heavy under-powered PU, Ferrari has built a much better chassis and are doing much better than teams that he has been rumored to be joining soon.

It was certain clauses in his contract that were touched by the new boss and things went haywire from there. To add to Alonso's decision, the Ferrari president who built this team around Alonso at Ferrari was fired too, then it was the death of Emilio Botin who was strongly funding Alonso's growth in F1. It was time for Alonso to find some fresh water, even now he has not signed anything with McLaren. But waiting on a seat with Mercedes. The recent rumors suggest a contract discussion of 1 year was still in discussion with McLaren.

Vettel & Kimi at Ferrari, I would have wanted Bianchi. But life is so cruel at times, too bad for that wonderful kid!
For Ferrari, they could be in a position where they are stuck with this engine with only 48% work allowed till Feb '15. Half that the next year and so forth as per engine freeze regulations. Alonso could have left knowing that no matter how good a car is built, it will never match the Merc. Look at Suzuka, it is not an engine track and yet they are miles ahead.

Mclaren have not denied being interested in signing Alonso (Red Bull have). Merc are keeping a 1% chance open to keep Lewis's salary demands in check, this is coincidence. McLaren are miles away, but there is a chance they can build a solid car in 2 years to challenge for the top.

I dont buy this 1 year sabbatical/contract theory. All the seats opened up just now. Merc have a seat open technically, Lewis has not signed on yet and if Alonso was gunning for a Merc seat, there is no reason to wait a year.

Lotus is down in the dumps, so not point talking about it.

I feel there are a few loose ends to tie up and most probably they want to announce both drivers for 2015 and still need to make a decision on Button vs K Mag.
Old 6th October 2014, 00:12   #98
BHPian

I really wonder if Mclaren would try to get Alonso for as little increment in salary as possible, knowing well now that Alonso has no better option other than Mclaren for next season. Or is a sabbatical on the cards in case the commercial terms are not agreed upon by both sides.

Vettel announcment has really thrown Alonso's game away. Though Alonso is still insisting he has a upper hand in deciding where he will race next season.
Old 6th October 2014, 01:45   #99
BHPian

I really hope Bianchi gets well very soon and gets to drive at Ferrari next season. A very talented driver, indeed.

Will be interesting to see Kimi drive with Vettel as his teammate.

-Bhargav
Old 6th October 2014, 08:00   #100
BHPian

Speedy recovery to Jules !

I think Mclaren have given some time for Fernando to think over his plans, thats why they have not decided on Button and Magnussen. Either it is Mercedes/Mclaren or quit F1. He will definitely not go to Lotus.
Old 6th October 2014, 14:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

Trivia, the Williams of Bottas was 0.6s away from the fastest Merc on Pole in Suzuka dry track. When it started raining, both Williams were all over the place slower than the FI car. You still think, the Merc power had nothing to contribute in Suzuka?

The Redbull with the best aero was 1.5s slower in the dry, but they were matching the Mercedes lap times on a wet track. You still think, the Merc power had nothing to contribute?

Alonso is not driving a Ferrari for free, he had contract until end of 2016 and Marco confirmed that the exit clause in Alonso's contract was not activated. If Alonso is still leaving, it should be on mutual agreement. Thats fairly simple to understand and Marco simply wanted Ferrari above any driver and he was unable to get into agreement with Alonso. If he still wants to leave, I am very happy that he decided to!

Now what has hurt Alonso most is Horner announcing Vettel's move to Ferrari and got to love the way the new boss picks on that question from Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
For Ferrari, they could be in a position where they are stuck with this engine with only 48% work allowed till Feb '15. Half that the next year and so forth as per engine freeze regulations. Alonso could have left knowing that no matter how good a car is built, it will never match the Merc. Look at Suzuka, it is not an engine track and yet they are miles ahead.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 14:50   #102
Senior - BHPian

Rewind to 2013:

Webber decides to leave Red Bull, opening up a vacant seat. Kimi's name was strongly linked to the seat and Vettel says in an interview that he has no issues at all with Kimi being his team mate. However, Daniel Ricciardo gets the RBR seat and Kimi moves to Ferrari.

Fast forward to 2014:

Vettel decides to leave Red Bull and move to Ferrari. Now, Kimi welcomes Vettel to Ferrari.

Interesting how the tables turn in a year.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Trivia, the Williams of Bottas was 0.6s away from the fastest Merc on Pole in Suzuka dry track. When it started raining, both Williams were all over the place slower than the FI car. You still think, the Merc power had nothing to contribute in Suzuka?

The Redbull with the best aero was 1.5s slower in the dry, but they were matching the Mercedes lap times on a wet track. You still think, the Merc power had nothing to contribute?
Williams optimized for the dry qualifying and hoped that they might be able to pull off something on the Mercs during qualifying and hope for keeping them behind during the race.

Mercedes would have probably went with a setup that was slightly optimized for the wet. Thanks to their superior chassis, they still manage to stay ahead of the Williams that is optimized for the dry conditions and clinched the front row.

Red Bull clearly mentioned that they heavily optimized for wet conditions and were counting on the rain to gain places during the race. The fact that they matched Mercedes pace shows the chassis are comparable between the two.

I've no idea what Ferrari optimized for - they were neither quick in qualifying nor during the race!

Last edited by zenren : 6th October 2014 at 14:58.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 15:21   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've no idea what Ferrari optimized for
They were optimized for power saving - that's why Alonso went into screensaver mode.

Last edited by arunphilip : 6th October 2014 at 15:48.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 15:31   #104
Senior - BHPian

Source, please!

Quote:
Williams optimized for the dry qualifying and hoped that they might be able to pull off something on the Mercs during qualifying and hope for keeping them behind during the race.
Williams usually struggle in the wet. A news from Sepang'14. There are more news and you could easily find it over internet.

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/20...fying-session/

Source, please!

Quote:
Mercedes would have probably went with a setup that was slightly optimized for the wet. Thanks to their superior chassis, they still manage to stay ahead of the Williams that is optimized for the dry conditions and clinched the front row.
Almost everyone in the paddock was prepared with a wet setup, there was even discussion about moving the race timings right before Q started.

Quote:
Red Bull clearly mentioned that they heavily optimized for wet conditions and were counting on the rain to gain places during the race. The fact that they matched Mercedes pace shows the chassis are comparable between the two.
In Q, Alonso was in his usual P5 followed behind the Williams and Kimi had problems with his engine during Q, Marco's interview mentions that. The race, I am sure you watched it!

Quote:
I've no idea what Ferrari optimized for - they were neither quick in qualifying nor during the race!
Old 6th October 2014, 17:33   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
I really hope Bianchi gets well very soon and gets to drive at Ferrari next season. A very talented driver, indeed.

Will be interesting to see Kimi drive with Vettel as his teammate.
I am feel sorry for Bianchi and hope he recovers soon. Coming back to full competitiveness may take a couple of years. Remember Massa! I wonder with Vettel and Kimi I do not see him as a prime Ferrari driver for year at least. Only after Kimi quits can he get his chance.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks