Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 19:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Russian GP - Sochi Autodrom - Race Thread

Frankly, this was probably the most boring race of the year and the only silver lining is probably that it became a spoof on FIA policies and rules!

Faultless drive from Lewis and lucky damage control from Rosberg to prove that the race could have been run without pit stops - a well deserved slap to the tyre compound choices for this weekend. It should have been super-softs and softs in retrospect.

FIA needs to re-write the rules regarding tyre-compound usage to use both compounds only if the car takes a pit stop. Why force a pit stop on a driver just because he needs to run the other compound too? Everyone from P11 onwards could have tried starting on mediums and trying to make the tyres last the distance if it weren't for the rule I suppose.

Solid drive from Raikkonen too. I didn't expect that Ferrari to finish ahead of 3 Mercedes-powered cars with everyone behind having DRS advantage too. That was a strong race from him to finish P9.

Its a pity Kvyat couldn't convert that strong P5 on grid.

~ now back to sleep
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 20:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Rosberg robbed us of another exciting fight for the win. What a silly mistake yet again. Title seems all Lewis's now.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 23:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I really hope its not a bore fest as is the case with most new circuits by Tilke.
Sadly, the race was exactly that. An utter snooze fest.

Tilke, conservative tyres and higher fuel consumption came together and ensured that. The largest country in the world and they made this. Sigh!

Anyways, Congrats in order for Mercedes. They deserve it. The best engine, the best chassis and the best looker on the grid. Well done boys!

2014 Russian GP - Sochi Autodrom - Race Thread-lowerosbhamiwolflaudmerc1886x590.jpg

Was amusing to know its Merc' first constructors title. Apparently, the constructors came into effect in 1958 and Merc' first F1 team had left the sport by then.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 01:05   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

On an off note, though.
Did Lewis ignore Putin till after he'd settled down?
Old 13th October 2014, 01:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
On an off note, though.
Did Lewis ignore Putin till after he'd settled down?
Even I noticed that.. I was like 'bro a handshake with The President was the first thing which you should have done on entering that room'.

I have noticed this, mostly non-Indians, they don't make a big deal out of it. He is the President so what? He is a human being after all.

I even feared Putin getting some champagne on his clothes cuz he had barely walked away from the podium and these guys has started their celebrations

Now the 2nd race where my wish of seeing Button on the podium remains a wish. I'd really like to see the Triathlon athlete on the podium. I like that guy more than most of the other drivers out there

-Bhargav
Old 13th October 2014, 11:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That was a boring race, Abu Dabhi boring. Rosberg seems to be getting into a habit of making mistakes since his punishment. Seems like his punishment has shaken him. But excellent recovery. Didn't think that was possible. Really shows how much speed the Mercs has in reserve.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 14:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Wow! That was a boring race, Abu Dabhi boring. Rosberg seems to be getting into a habit of making mistakes since his punishment. Seems like his punishment has shaken him. But excellent recovery. Didn't think that was possible. Really shows how much speed the Mercs has in reserve.
Quite right. This is Valencia boring. Snooooooze.
They better add some speed breakers or something like what we get on the roads these days to add some spice.

Did someone notice this , after Peter Prodromou's arrival McLaren are going quietly faster ??
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 17:03   #23
BHPian

What a performance by Rosberg! P2 to P20 to P2! What a car, what a driver.
The race in itself was as entertaining as watching snail cross the road or elephants sleeping.
I have asked this before and I ask again, looking at the pace of the Mercedes cars and other "apparently" similar powered cars of, say, SFI, and the seniority of the drivers also averaging equally, why the other teams are not capable of what Rosberg just did? Or for that matter, why arent there more Bottas' in other teams?
Is it car? Is it strategy? Is it driver? Mix of all? I just cant get my head around this. :(
Old 13th October 2014, 19:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
What a performance by Rosberg! P2 to P20 to P2! What a car, what a driver.
The race in itself was as entertaining as watching snail cross the road or elephants sleeping.
I have asked this before and I ask again, looking at the pace of the Mercedes cars and other "apparently" similar powered cars of, say, SFI, and the seniority of the drivers also averaging equally, why the other teams are not capable of what Rosberg just did? Or for that matter, why arent there more Bottas' in other teams?
Is it car? Is it strategy? Is it driver? Mix of all? I just cant get my head around this. :(
I have the same question. Rosberg made it look like child's play coming into P2 from back of the grid. Is the Mercedes package that good?
Old 13th October 2014, 22:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetinywanderer View Post
I have the same question. Rosberg made it look like child's play coming into P2 from back of the grid. Is the Mercedes package that good?
It is mostly thanks to a dominant car, a long straight where others don't stand a chance to prevent them from being overtaken and a wrong tyre choice from Pirelli.

We can't blame Pirelli too much since they had no idea regarding tyre degradation to be expected from such a new track.
Old 13th October 2014, 23:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetinywanderer View Post
Rosberg made it look like child's play coming into P2 from back of the grid. Is the Mercedes package that good?
Let me add this too.

On Lap 50 Rosberg stamped the (then) fastest lap when other cars including Bottas was just 20 laps on their tyres. This years Merc can be compared to 2004 Ferrari (sans some reliability issues).

Two people I missed yesterday was Michael and Ross. This team today was laid by them too.

Cheers!
Old 14th October 2014, 08:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Vettel will use 6th engine in Austin. He already announced not to take part in qualifying cause he will start from pitlane anyway.

Good work Bernie & and the clowns in the FIA who are on a mission to kill F1!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 11:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Vettel will use 6th engine in Austin. He already announced not to take part in qualifying cause he will start from pitlane anyway.

FIA & Bernie can be blamed for a lot of things. I am not sure this is one of it.
Mercedes has done a good job whereas Renault has been poor. If all engine manufacturers were suffering from this, then it could have been blamed on FIA/Bernie.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 17:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post

Can they announce just like that to not participate in qualifying? I think he might still need to be within 107% time of Q1 to actually start the race. Pit-lane start is not guaranteed if don't participate in Qualifying.

He could just run 1 slow lap on the harder tyre and leave it at that but I think he still needs to set a lap within 107%. FP3 times are based on steward's discretion and I wouldn't be surprised if FIA would try to set an example here through the stewards in case Vettel wouldn't participate.
Old 21st October 2014, 08:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

The inaugural Russian Grand Prix gets its due from F1Fanatic readers.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 153
Size:  38.5 KB

2014 Japanese Grand Prix was not rated in light of Jules' horrible accident.

Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 175
Size:  27.0 KB

Rate the Race began in 2008 and only three races had lower scores than the first race at Sochi.

Source

Most Viewed