Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari

I personally didn't like this movement to Ferrari as a Ferrari loyalist. I just cant cheer for him in a Ferrari.
Old 22nd November 2014, 10:47   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I personally didn't like this movement to Ferrari as a Ferrari loyalist. I just cant cheer for him in a Ferrari.
May I add when Alonso joined Ferrari he was also disliked. In fact due to his prominent ears he was nicknamed the Burro or donkey!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd November 2014 at 08:48.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 10:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

A few reasons why it makes sense for Vettel's Ferrari move next year:
  • Chance to drive for the most iconic brand in F1. Being a Schumi fan and having supported Schumi and Ferrari during his childhood, it is just natural for him to fulfil the dream of driving in red attire.
  • Not enough acceptance even after winning 4 WDC - people still say it was Newey and the car more than him. Alonso gained a lot of fans and respect during his stint at Ferrari, not while he was driving for Renault (2 WDC) or McLaren, where he finished much better than while at Ferrari.
  • He has enough years ahead to get a couple more championships. Even otherwise, he has enough WDC already to be in the legends list. Its skill and class he needs to showcase now, which he can showcase better in a midfield car.
  • Current Vettel should be compared to Alonso in 2007, or Schumi in 1996. Not many liked them either in those days. Significance of these years - switch out of the team with their multiple-WDC to try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Precisely the reason it brought a smile when I heard this news first time. We'll probably miss the Vettel vs Ferrari fans debate.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 12:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think more than most of us disliking Vettel coming to Ferrari it is the sadness in seeing Alonso leaving Ferrari.

I'm quite used to seeing a matured driver wear the Scuderia outfit always. 1996 was a long way off so I've forgotten what it was like to read the press reports of Schumi coming to Ferrari. Otherwise its been Barichello, Irvine, Massa, Kimi Raikkonen, Alonso. All seasoned and matured (age-wise) drivers.

There is one positive though, nobody works harder than Vettel with the team. Alonso was the type to just get in the cockpit and drive as quick as he could. With Vettel,its almost guaranteed that there wont be a lack of hard work and dedication in getting the car quick.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 13:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

In general Ferrari will be better off next year compared to where they are now and it has nothing to do with Vettel joining.

While there are no questions about Alonso's skills as a driver who took the car to places it didn't deserve, he is as much to blame for lack of results as Ferrari. Ferrari was in much better shape when Alonso joined compared to where they are now. What made Ferrari forget what it means to win as a team?

To get back to the top Ferrari has to start from clean slate. Who better than Vettel to lead the charge? Seb and Kimi will make a better team anyway. I see it as a positive move for Ferrari.
Old 22nd November 2014, 13:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I'm quite used to seeing a matured driver wear the Scuderia outfit always. All seasoned and matured (age-wise) drivers.
Not sure I got what your said. But apart from 2014 where Ferrari have had 2 world champions paired. The 'usual' strategy is one star driver and the other is relatively in his shadow. Infact Felipe Massa wasn't a seasoned driver when he came to Ferrari, he was relatively a new kid on the block when he joined.

Vettel actually shot to fame from his maiden win in Toro Rosso much before he started winning titles for RBR. How much he can beat out of the dead horse unlike Alonso remains to be seen. Only time will tell what he is made of
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 14:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Not sure I got what your said. But apart from 2014 where Ferrari have had 2 world champions paired. The 'usual' strategy is one star driver and the other is relatively in his shadow. Infact Felipe Massa wasn't a seasoned driver when he came to Ferrari, he was relatively a new kid on the block when he joined.

Vettel actually shot to fame from his maiden win in Toro Rosso much before he started winning titles for RBR. How much he can beat out of the dead horse unlike Alonso remains to be seen. Only time will tell what he is made of
2009 season could have been a Ferrari lineup of 2 champions if luck had gone Massa's way in the final corner of the last race in 2008. RAI/MAS line-up was more of a balanced lineup for Ferrari and they actually got 2 constructors trophies out of the 3 years they had this pair.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 14:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
What I meant was besides Schumi's signing in 1996, Ferrari tend to go for the mature bunch. I am in no way trying to say that Vettel isnt matured but he is quite young and that to me was a surprise signing for Ferrari. I expected Alonso to see out his career (maybe two more years) and then Ferrari making a bid for Hamilton, Vettel or Rosberg. That would have put the trio in their late 20's/early 30's and with probably a title more in their pocket.

Massa wasnt a newbie when he came to Ferrari, he had a good 2 seasons of testing for Ferrari and a season or two with Sauber before that. He was very much a Maranello home grown boy when he replaced Barichello at Ferrari.

Quote:
Very true! RBR and Ferrari are quite different to each other in terms of the way they build a car. Vettels renowned work ethics should suit Ferrari. He tends to engage with his garage mates on an individual level and knows everyone on a first name basis. Very similar to what Schumacher did when he was at Ferrari. Vettel probably has bought or been given an apartment right next to the Ferrari factory. He should be there day in and day out trying to make the car go quicker. Hope it all comes together. Desperate to see Ferrari win a title.
Old 22nd November 2014, 17:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
What I meant was besides Schumi's signing in 1996, Ferrari tend to go for the mature bunch. I am in no way trying to say that Vettel isnt matured but he is quite young and that to me was a surprise signing for Ferrari. I expected Alonso to see out his career (maybe two more years) and then Ferrari making a bid for Hamilton, Vettel or Rosberg. That would have put the trio in their late 20's/early 30's and with probably a title more in their pocket.

Massa wasnt a newbie when he came to Ferrari, he had a good 2 seasons of testing for Ferrari and a season or two with Sauber before that. He was very much a Maranello home grown boy when he replaced Barichello at Ferrari.
Why should Ferrari wait when a driver hits 30's? Is Ferrari some kind of retirement home for drivers? In fact i don't remember Ferrari hiring anyone in their 30's? 27-28 is the ideal time as that's when the drivers start to peak.

Vettel is 27 years old which is quite mature in F1 world, and similar to what Raikkonen, Alonso, Schumacher and Barichello were when they joined Ferrari.

Vettel comes in with 7 full seasons behind him (not counting his stint with BMW F1 team as third driver for two years) and is 4 times WDC. It's silly to compare him to Massa joining Ferrari. Massa was 25 and had just 4 seasons in F1 (3 racing, 1 testing) which makes him the youngest and inexperienced of the lot.

Alonso - 28 years old, 9 seasons in F1
Raikkonen - 27, 6
Massa - 25, 4
Barichello - 27, 7
Ervine - 30, 3
Schumacher - 27, 5
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 18:42   #25
BHPian

[[quote=Rachit.K.Dogra;3585913]Well, my Ferrari supporting days are over.

And there is only one reason for that, my dislike towards Vettel. For me the first sign of greatness is humilty and Vettel is everything but humble.]

First and foremost Sebastian Vettel is one of the humblest drivers in the glitzy F1 world.A guy with no pretensions,does'nt employ fancy managers like Flavio,married his childhood girlfriend,keeps his private life simple and out of purview of the world and if anything this year he has been beaten and still handled it with poise and grace.He has not blamed his team,has not come to the press with conspiracy theories trying to explain why he has lagged slightly behind Ric.He has even gone ahead and praised his teammate for doing a better job than him.

Compare this to the other stars Hamilton and Alonso.Have you ever seen Alonso or Hamilton magnanimous to any of their championship contenders,have they gone and willingly shaken the hand of their competeitors when they have lost to them.Hamilton in particular acts like a sore loser(his post race behavior when he has lost is disgusting and disrespectful) and goes to the press like kid and tries to blame his team for everything if he doesnt qualify on pole or win and all of this in a car which is the class of the field(brakes got glazed! Common!) and Hamilton with all his hip hop star hat and ear rings and celebrity girlfriend is anything but humble.

The less said of Alonso's character the better.He is a megalomaniac and though incredibly talented he is a flawed character.Blackmails the team,asks his team mate to crash to acheive a win(Dont tell me Flavio did not have Fernando on the loop in this crap),bulldozes the team to tell his team mate to move and over.Ferrari has designed a car according to what Alonso wants so much that Raikkonen has no chance beating him(Pull Rod suspension!) and because he bought so much disharmony to the team Ferrari is desperate to see the back of him.Alonso is Humble! That has to be farther from truth than anything in this world.

Coming back to Vettel he has had one bad year trying to adapt to the car and in the last few grandprix's has started matching Ric.The reason most of you hate him is because of the 'Finger celebration', well he is entitled to celebrate whichever way he wants.Another reason haters hate him is because he apparently disobeyed team orders to overtake Webber in Malaysia last year.Yes, Hamilton often disobeys team orders and when he does all his British cronies celebrate that and remember Webber's push on Vettel in 2012 in title deciding race in Brazil 2012 which almost screwed his championship.Webber deserved the treatment for his quite back stabbing.

BTW Ferrari fully deserve their standings because they pushed a fully in form Schumacher to resign to get Raikkonen in 2006 and see how that panned out.

Last edited by Ascari : 22nd November 2014 at 19:07.
Ascari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
BTW Ferrari fully deserve their standings because they pushed a fully in form Schumacher to resign to get Raikkonen in 2006 and see how that panned out.
Not sure I understand what you are trying to convey since the results say otherwise. Though the Schumi fans would not like the fact that he was pushed into a retirement, hiring Raikkonen for 2007 indeed proved to be a good decision for Ferrari.

They lost the WCC in 2005 and 2006 to Renault even with Schumi driving for them. Then they get Raikkonen instead who gets the WDC and WCC for them in 2007 and helps retain WCC in 2008 while Massa narrowly missed out on the WDC that year. That is as good as you can expect for a top team. Post Schumacher era at Ferrari was as good as the Schumacher days.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Next season for some Ferrari fans 😄
Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416668011.301866.jpg
SilentEngine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 22:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Next season for some Ferrari fans 😄
Attachment 1311267
Nice! This is standard operating procedure of Ferrari fans. Fans hate the drivers who beat Ferrari.

We saw the same shift of loyalties towards Kimi and Alonso when they turned from the biggest threat to the biggest hope. Give it some time and we'll see the Alonso hatred growing back and a new-found 'Vettel-love' once Alonso starts beating the Ferrari in a McLaren.
Old 23rd November 2014, 13:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Vettel comes in with 7 full seasons behind him (not counting his stint with BMW F1 team as third driver for two years) and is 4 times WDC. It's silly to compare him to Massa joining Ferrari. Massa was 25 and had just 4 seasons in F1 (3 racing, 1 testing) which makes him the youngest and inexperienced of the lot.
There isnt a comparison between Massa and Vettel. The former spent atleast 3 years with Ferrari in their factory. He was already part of the family when he joined Schumacher in 2006 unlike Vettel. Massa was part of the Ferrari family when he was driving for sauber doing numerous tests for them in 2004 and a full testing year with scuderia in 2003. Primarily, Massa wasnt even brought in to lead the team.

One should also consider trying to maintain a stable team when the chips are low. Retaining Alonso would have made things easier. Vettel starts in Jan 2015 and has to start from step 1.

Also no doubt we are soon to be Vettel fans.! Its just sad to see Alonso go because he gives the hope of grabbing those points and creating an overtake out of nowhere. Looking at Sebs and Kimi's current season, there is very little hope for things getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren
They lost the WCC in 2005 and 2006 to Renault even with Schumi driving for them. Then they get Raikkonen instead who gets the WDC and WCC for them in 2007 and helps retain WCC in 2008 while Massa narrowly missed out on the WDC that year. That is as good as you can expect for a top team. Post Schumacher era at Ferrari was as good as the Schumacher days.
There is no such thing as a non-emotional Ferrari fan.

2005 rules were purely forced to stop Ferrari from winning. No tyre changes during the race during a time when Ferrari were making their opponents look like soap box racers with their supreme pit strategy.

Suzuka the famed thorn in schumachers quest for a 8th title. He had the title if it wasnt for that engine failure.

Raikkonen shined in 2007, especially at the beginning and mid season, he slumped a bit towards the end. Seemed a bit like Mclaren handed the title to him. Kimi was certainly off colour in 2008 and much worse in 2009. It was highly frustrating to not even see the effort from him. Until Massa's accident he was ahead of kimi or really close in the points standing. This seems to be evident this year too. If kimi doesnt get that sensitive front end and a car that doesnt abuse its tyres he really struggles. His 2006 season with Mclaren is also proof.
Old 23rd November 2014, 15:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Not sure I understand what you are trying to convey since the results say otherwise. Though the Schumi fans would not like the fact that he was pushed into a retirement, hiring Raikkonen for 2007 indeed proved to be a good decision for Ferrari.
Schumi was well on course to winning the 2006 championship but he had bad luck his engine blew in one of the penultimate races of the season and that was that.Schumi was truly in form that year if you can remember,drove some really sublime races.In 2005 the bridgestones were no match to the Michelins if I remember clearly.

Post Schumacher Ferrari has been successful is it? Really? The only WDC they won was due to Hamilton beaching his car in the title decider.

Schumacher and the great team led by Ross Brawn,Rory Bryne and Jean Todt had laid great foundations for the team.Unfortunately LDM in trying to Italinize the team broke the back of the team and all this started with pushing Schumi out of the team he so dearly loved.For two years the team survived based on the sturdy foundations laid by the team led by Ross and Jean Todt.After that what? The Italians messed up is what.

At 41 Schumacher was mostly up there with Rosberg.Rosberg beating Hamilton to pole consistently shows that he is slouch in one lap pace.Such a shame because Hammy fans usually thought he is twice born and had unreal pace and that he is the next Senna.Raikkonen as a match to Schumi? Please! Massa outqualified him.That's enough to show what he is made up of.

Most Viewed