Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 12:47   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Force India almost certain to miss 2015 season opener in Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I thought the subject was whether there was an Indian more passionate than Mallya about F1 ?
See, that's where the disconnect is. The subject isn't about 'Indians' in F1 at all, though I can think of at least a few people who are VERY passionate about racing but don't have the dosh (or able to con public banks into lending without collateral) to get involved.

My point was only about Mallya's unsuitability as an owner and his questionable (in my opinion) passion for F1 (Mallya the owner, not Mallya the Indian), and that's where the broader discussion was headed too. I personally don't care who owns that team and what flag they fly, as long as they do justice to the team and its obvious talent. Mallya fails spectacularly on that count.

As it stands, I don't think anyone in India will bother investing in F1 because it's a money-pit and there's no serious money to be made unless you're a top team, plus there's the whole taxation tangle with the authorities. Everyone will throw money at cricket instead; easy money, great returns and relatively hassle-free. The Indian racing scene has a long way to go to maturity, if it ever gets there.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th February 2015 at 12:50.
Old 9th February 2015, 14:32   #17
BHPian

Chetan, I think we are mixing things. Your statement said Mallya is not passionate about racing, which I think has nothing to do with him being a race team owner, Indian, Millionaire, Broke, Whatever else it may be. And I disagree with that. He is one of the more passionate guys in the Indian motorsports fraternity.

That may not translate to him being successful in racing, business, etc but that does not count here... anyway, to each his own.
Old 9th February 2015, 14:45   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Chetan, I think we are mixing things. Your statement said Mallya is not passionate about racing, which I think has nothing to do with him being a race team owner, Indian, Millionaire, Broke, Whatever else it may be. And I disagree with that. He is one of the more passionate guys in the Indian motorsports fraternity.

That may not translate to him being successful in racing, business, etc but that does not count here... anyway, to each his own.
I said I think he isn't. I'm not selling it as a fact. He may be the most passionate F1 fan who ever lived in another person's opinion, and I'm OK with that, but I don't have to agree.

To me, the man is running a decent team into the ground bit-by-bit and that's what I judge him on. It's easy to be 'passionate' about something when you don't have to struggle to keep up. Adversity is when true colors show. There are plenty of examples in racing itself of people (past & present) who've gone broke and further down because their passion drove them to the end. Mallya will bail the moment he hits trouble.

Passion? It's not about what you own but what you've done. With all his 'passion' for racing, what has Mallya done for the racing scene in India, which is crying out for support at the grass-root levels? But that ain't glamorous and grabs you instant headlines like F1 can, or does it now?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th February 2015 at 14:52.
Old 9th February 2015, 15:11   #19
BHPian

Haha, lets leave it be. I have been involved with Indian motorsports for close to 12 years now and have been following it for a much longer time. Believe me he has done his bit....

anyway, I am not going to comment on this anymore. Take care.
killjoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed