Team-BHP - Karthikeyan's Future in F1
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   Karthikeyan's Future in F1 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/16217-karthikeyans-future-f1.html)

What do you think Karthikeyan's future in F1 will be? He is hardly mentioned in the Official F1 website and it doesn't look like he is doing much testing for the Williams team.

With Webber and Rosberg 15th and 16th respectively and the Team standing a low 9th overall, I can't say they are very competitive.

Earlier this week, this is what former team mate Tiago Montiero had to say about Karthikeyan...

Is it good to have a quick team mate to push you?
TM: Yes, I think so. Last year, Narain (Karthikeyan) often had amazing pace but sometimes he was a bit too erratic and not as consistent, unfortunately. I don’t know if Christijan is as quick as Narain over one lap, but he is a lot more consistent. He hardly ever makes mistakes, and he is a very solid driver.
So we are pushing each other a lot, and that’s good for us and it’s good for the team. One of the reasons the team is progressing so much is that there’s not one session where my focus can be less than 110 percent, and it’s the same for him. Every time we’re out on track, we’re always pushing hard. And off track, we’re putting in the effort, as well, and not only with regard to physical fitness. I think I’m spending more time than ever with my engineers, because I’m paying attention to all the details. Everything on the car is important, from the tiniest little part to the smallest adjustment - it’s amazing. I guess that is what sets F1 apart as the top form of motorsport. I’ve still got a lot to learn on that side, but I’m getting better at giving feedback and interpreting how everything affects the car.

Do you think being a test driver will help in moulding Karthikeyan in to a better, more consistent driver? Or, should he throw in the towel and switch to A1GP? (Haven't heard much about them lately? Is the team still alive?)

Oh I thought his story got over long back, does he still travel with the team?

Well ... for someboby from India to race in F1 & be involved in the sport for more than a year is simply fantastic. he is a test driver for williams & i think its only a matter of time before one of the teams take him as a race driver

I think he's too old to really have a future in F1. Most drivers who are breaking into F1 are much younger.

To continue, being in sponsors, to bring in sponsors, you need to win or be part of a winning team, ifyou don't win, you do not get sponsors and you do not remain part of team

go figure

Ajmat, you are right...
Narain does not get the kind of exposure due the lack of sponsor backing. Most backmarkers are just hanging on with the money brought in by these drivers. So you got the moolah you got the drive! I remember one of the reasons to drop Narain this season was due to the sponsor money he could not arrange!
But Narain should just hang-on to Williams as long as possible. He might not get a drive, but what if Nico or Wurz fall of a bike and break their shoulder and maybe he'll drive very well for Williams and might even get a chance for a permanant race seat!!! Antyhing is possible!! So just hang on... dunno how long it will take for another Indian to race in F1.

I feel his honeymoon with F1 is soon gonna be over (but i hope not)... when he had switched over to williams as a test driver, i thought this might eventually be a good move... but now with williams almost at the bottom of the constructor's championship, i dont think its gonna help his cause in any way.... I really wish some miracle happens and he is given and F1 car in 2007(any team will do!!!).. feels good to have an indian in the F1 circuit...

F1 is becoming fiercely competitive.. do getting even decent drive will be difficult
narain does is quick, consistency can be worked and improved upon over time

for now, staying as test driver at williams is the best option he has by far

I dont see any place for NK in F1's future. and all bcoz he isn't good enuff to get a seat without big sponsor money.

Look at the new BMW-Sauber test driver. He's only 19 years old. If people as young as him are getting a chance as test drivers in F1, I don't think NK has a chance anywhere. Remember all teams want to promote fresh talent, who knows someone might become the next Kimi Raikonnen.