Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2015, 18:04   #31
BHPian

Re: The 2016 F1 Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Increasingly, it looks like Kimi's 2016 seat is up for grabs.
Prime contender is Bottas ofcourse, but Ricciardo too?

What a shock that will be for Vettel!
Ricciardo looks unlikely because Vettel being the main driver, the team would not want to jeopardize his happiness. Bottas looks very likely. Would love to see Hulkenburg in the mix too. But who knows, Kimi might round up his magic again in the remaining races. All fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Nasr, I think, may move on to better things.

2017 is when we'll be able to go back to glued to the seats action.
Refuelling, 1000bhp, Wider tyres.....Bring it, fast!
I see a lot of people unhappy with these cars and races. Honestly, i think the F1 today is still more entertaining today than it was about 10 years ago. Most boring season still probably being 2004. Its just that for the past few years there has only been one particular team dominating the field. MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS now and Infiniti Red Bull Racing before this. And hence the lethargy among fans. I don't hear anyone complaining about the 2012 season - by far the most entertaining season on a whole in the recent past. The engine rules IMHO are fine - F1 has to be the pinnacle of technology and futuristic in nature. And hybrid systems are the future. We just need more teams to be at the level where Mercedes is right now. So hoping for FIA to give relaxation on engine development to the engine manufacturers. That's what we need.
And yes, would still love to see these above mentioned changes as the HP figure especially looks lucrative. And i think refueling is already shot down.
Old 28th June 2015, 21:43   #32
BHPian

Here are the proposed changes to Technical regulations for 2016.
Source: FIA
Apart from regulating the bodywork, the cockpit area seems to be getting reinforced & padded better. There is going to be more telemetry including video records for later analysis.

Name:  1 tech change 2016.png
Views: 528
Size:  107.9 KB
Name:  2 tech change 2016.png
Views: 673
Size:  125.1 KB
Name:  3 tech change 2016.png
Views: 531
Size:  66.9 KB
Name:  4 tech change 2016.png
Views: 547
Size:  135.4 KB

Name:  5 tech change 2016.png
Views: 575
Size:  106.2 KB

Name:  6 tech change 2016.png
Views: 555
Size:  45.8 KB

Last edited by jfxavier : 28th June 2015 at 21:52.
jfxavier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 19:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
Ricciardo looks unlikely because Vettel being the main driver, the team would not want to jeopardize his happiness. Bottas looks very likely. Would love to see Hulkenburg in the mix too. But who knows, Kimi might round up his magic again in the remaining races. All fingers crossed
I think this is very unlikely because they have paid top dollar for someone like Vettel. Bottas being primed to be a future champion as well. This theory doesnt work for Ferrari. I wont even be surprised if we see someone like Jenson Button go to the #2 car in Ferrari. Focus is definitely on Vettel bringing Ferrari back to the top and him alone. The team is essentially a one driver team and always has been.

Ofcourse the new management could shake things up but I am pretty sure Vettel has a say over who will drive the other car. Alonso had this clause in his Ferrari contract, Schumacher as well. Pretty sure Seb has it too.
Old 29th June 2015, 20:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Ofcourse the new management could shake things up but I am pretty sure Vettel has a say over who will drive the other car. Alonso had this clause in his Ferrari contract, Schumacher as well. Pretty sure Seb has it too.
If Vettel really has a say in these matters, kimi can rest easy.
But Ferrari might think that investing on Kimi is one with diminishing returns.
Maybe Vettel is just recovering from his year with Ricciardo and doesnt want a relapse.

"I am pretty happy with Kimi," said Vettel, during a Ferrari media event at the Hungaroring in Hungary.

"As I said many times, there is tremendous respect between each of us. It is very straightforward: there are no complications whatsoever to work with him as he is very straight.

"Obviously the last couple of races were a little bit up and down for him, and it is normal in F1 that you get criticised immediately.

"I had four phenomenal years and had one year where a lot of things happened, where a lot of things broke down in the car and where I did a lot of mistakes, and I got criticised. Now things are changing again.

"That is why these things are not so important if you know who you are. I think Kimi knows who he is and he knows what he wants. That is why I think we have a good relationship as well."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ve...ay-at-ferrari/
Old 1st July 2015, 05:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hope he will have a better British GP. Needs better results, otherwise it is game over.
Old 1st July 2015, 17:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Hope he will have a better British GP. Needs better results, otherwise it is game over.
I think Kimi will be hoping to have a better British GP than the 2014 as well.

The 2016 F1 Season Thread-qtr.jpg

In other news for 2016 season, the Doha Stadium Plus publication believes that Qatar is set to replace the German GP due to their financial difficulties. It also confirmed the Qatar Sports Investment fund’s intentions to bid for the commercial rights to Formula One. Maybe if all goes well with Germany, we will have a 22 race season.

“Recently, we were very close to signing an agreement to host an F1 race. The entire project is ready. But some things didn’t work out and we need to show a little more patience. All we need is a few more meetings with (F1 supremo) Bernie Ecclestone. We need a little more time, but we’ve the solution,” says Al Attiyah, President of the Qatar Motor and Motorcycle Federation (QMMF).

Qatar already has an FIA Grade 1T license for its circuit in Losail. The upgrades required to enable Losail to host an F1 GP weekend are reported to be minimal.

Al Attiyah also confirmed that plans were already in place to develop a street circuit at the Losail City, which is being built.

http://www.dohastadiumplusqatar.com/pit-stop-qatar/

Last edited by jfxavier : 1st July 2015 at 17:16.
Old 3rd July 2015, 00:17   #37
BHPian

The Strategy Group met yesterday in Biggin Hill, as planned, to follow up on the package of measures proposed at the last meeting and assess new directions for the future of Formula 1. It was a very constructive meeting, which led to approval of important decision and innovative evolutions.

Increased restrictions on driver aids and coaching received unanimous support and will be rapidly implemented, starting from this year’s Belgian Grand Prix - with a particular emphasis on race starts – and in 2016. These measures will bring back the driver in full control of the car, enhancing races excitement and unpredictability.

Following the Austrian GP, an overhaul of the power unit penalties has been unanimously agreed and will be submitted to the F1 Commission via an express fax vote for an adoption at the World Motorsport Council in Mexico City next week, together with changes to the exhaust system that will improve engine noise for 2016.

Furthermore, it was agreed to allow an extra power unit per driver in the first year to any new manufacturer entering the championship and, for the sake of fairness, the measure will apply retroactively to Honda for the 2015 season.

Mandate has been given to the FIA and FOM to propose a comprehensive set of measures for power unit development and cost of supply, including full review of the token system, increase in race fuel allowance, limits on the usage of engine dynamometers etc.

Increased freedom of choice for tyre compounds has been confirmed and the modalities are being finalised with Pirelli for 2016.

A new set of regulations aimed at achieving faster and more aggressive looking cars for 2017, to include wider cars and wheels, new wings and floor shape and significantly increased aerodynamic downforce has been outlined and is currently being assessed by the teams.

Several exciting and innovative changes to the qualifying and race weekend formats have also been discussed and are being evaluated by FIA and FOM for a 2016 introduction.

Source : http://www.fia.com/news/2015-british...ss-information
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

I am totally against the idea of a "show race" on Saturday. I hope that does not get an approval from the Strategy Group. I am all for the manual race starts. That should definitely make room for exciting opening laps at the GP.

Introducing changes in the regulations mid-way through the season is certainly proving that F1 is in total mess. Probably the first time this is happening in the history of the sport.
Old 3rd July 2015, 16:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Introducing changes in the regulations mid-way through the season is certainly proving that F1 is in total mess. Probably the first time this is happening in the history of the sport.
F1 and mid season rules changes are not strangers.
2013 Tyre testing & design rule change comes to mind.

Sometimes they revert the changes due to pressure as well.
Remember the 2011 ECU mapping ban for off throttle blown diffuser & subsequent reversal for "reliability".
Old 4th July 2015, 12:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
F1 and mid season rules changes are not strangers.
2013 Tyre testing & design rule change comes to mind.

Sometimes they revert the changes due to pressure as well.
Remember the 2011 ECU mapping ban for off throttle blown diffuser & subsequent reversal for "reliability".
But jfxavier this is a lot more serious isnt it? Until now it was switching off that and removing this. Going to manual starts is a major change. I dont care much about the pit to car radio ban because they just conceal their messages even more.
Old 4th July 2015, 16:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
But jfxavier this is a lot more serious isnt it? Until now it was switching off that and removing this. Going to manual starts is a major change. I dont care much about the pit to car radio ban because they just conceal their messages even more.
I think you are assuming that we have fully automated launches at starts.
We already have manual starts.
Please see the Article 9 of the Tech. Reg. related to transmissions posted below.
The 2016 F1 Season Thread-clutch.jpg

Within the limitations mentioned in the regs., the clever engineers have found ways to instruct and coach the driver based on the installation lap data, which is not explicitely outruled by the regs. Only PIT to car electronic control is ruled out.
The only change is going to be that the pit wall cannot coach drivers before and during starts.
The present systems are so complex with numerous setting changes possible to optimise launch.
Instead of the driver using his feel to optimise the starts, presently the teams are instructing the drivers based on the parameters they measure during the installation lap.
Not a big change in my opinion.
Old 4th July 2015, 16:53   #42
BHPian

The starts without coaching was the subject of the first question in the press conference yesterday to the team owners.

Here is how they responded.

Source: http://www.fia.com/news/2015-british...ess-conference

If I could start with a question to all of you about the findings from the F1 Strategy Group meeting that took place on Wednesday and which were announced yesterday, particularly the restriction on driver aids, things like the manual clutch, from the Belgian Grand Prix onwards. So some thoughts on that and other perhaps more long-term items that were discussed; what are the key talking points for you and maybe we can start with Eric?

Eric BOULLIER: Well, on this topic of driver aids I think there is more and more communication between the team and the drivers, a lot of electronics these days in the technology of driving the car, if I may say this. More and more the drivers are relying on the analysis of the telemetry to use the car, so I guess there is clearly a push for limiting, let me say, instructions to the drivers, how to run and handle car and to leave the drivers alone to drive the car.

Vijay, your thoughts on the wind of change blowing through – what are the key areas for the future?

Vijay MALLYA: If it make the sport more attractive, the racing more competitive, then I’m all for it. I’ve always, of course, held the opinion that there are several more fundamental issues that the strategy group should be focusing on. Having said that every small step that can make the sport more attractive is a welcome step. Let he drivers drive the cars. Maybe there will be more competitive racing and that would be good for all of us.

Claire?

Claire WILLIAMS: I agree with everything that’s been said so far. I think the Strategy Group meeting on Wednesday was a really constructive one. We discussed a lot of items. The meeting was a long one, but I think the general consensus was that there is a real appetite to make changes to the sport in order to influence the show for our fans. Talking about the driver aids, the communications from pit wall to cockpit was a small part of the conversation we were having and I think that if that makes the racing more exciting that would be really interesting for everybody to see. I think they’re going to roll that one out really, really quickly and then the ones that we have to do a bit more work around we’ll have to wait and see when those come to the fore.

Matthew?

Matthew CARTER: Yeah, I agree. I think that any emphasis that we can place on the drivers has got to be better; it’s got to be better for the sport in general. I hope it’s a step in the right direction and it’s a small step towards some bigger changes being made. Having sat on the Strategy Group last year, I hope that some of the changes do come through. A lot of things get talked about and sometimes not a lot of things happen. I’m hoping it’s a step in the right direction and that there are bigger things to come.

Monisha?

Monisha KALTENBORN: Since we were not part of the discussion it’s difficult for me to go into the specifics of it but from reading what the Strategy Group decided it looks like it’s going in the right direction because to us equally it is important that the competition is interesting again – that’s what the fans want out there, the partners and it seems to be going into the right direction.

And John.

John BOOTH: I think we can all agree that anything that makes Formula One more exciting is a positive thing. But I can’t really comment on the Strategy Group views; all I’ve read is a press release that was released yesterday and without knowing any detail or rationale behind it it’s impossible to comment.
Old 10th July 2015, 13:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari test driver Esteban Guttierrez linked with a race seat with Haas F1.
Quote:
Ferrari third driver Esteban Gutiérrez says he is assessing multiple options for the 2016 campaign, amid speculation that he could sign for the Haas F1 Team.

Haas F1, which deferred its entry until 2016, has a technical partnership and powertrain supply deal with Ferrari, while Dallara is constructing its first chassis.

Given the close ties, Gutiérrez has been tipped to claim one of the race seats for the team's inaugural season, and the Mexican admits he is looking at all available options.

"At the moment it's a bit early to say, but we're definitely considering the different alternatives, or options, that are available," Gutiérrez explained to GPUpdate.net.

"I think that will come naturally in the next months."

When pushed if there has been contact with Haas F1 regarding a seat, Gutiérrez said: "There's been contact with many people, so we need to be patient for that."

Gutiérrez, who won the inaugural GP3 title in 2010, raced in Formula 1 with Sauber for two seasons from 2012-2013, after spending a year as the team's reserve driver.
Source: F1racing.net
Old 11th July 2015, 01:47   #44
BHPian

The FIA concluded its World Motor Sport Council meeting today in Mexico City. The meeting was held as part of the FIA Sport Conference 2015.
The provisional calendar for the 2016 FIA Formula One World Championship was approved:
21 races. So probably 5 engines for the year.

Quote:
April 3 - Australia
April 10 - China
April 24 - Bahrain
May 1 - Sochi
May 15 - Spain
May 29 - Monaco
June 12 - Canada
June 26 - UK
July 3 - Austria
July 17 - Baku
July 31 - Germany
August 7 - Hungary
August 28 - Belgium
September 4 - Italy
September 18 - Singapore
September 25 - Malaysia
October 9 - Japan
October 23 - USA (Austin)
October 30 - Mexico
November 13 - Brazil
November 27 - Abu Dhabi
Also the Super licence points system was updated as below.
The 2016 F1 Season Thread-licence-system.jpg
Quote:
The WMSC approved the update of the Super Licence regulations with a view to:

- Increasing flexibility for drivers having qualified for a Super Licence, but do not have the opportunity to race in Formula One. These drivers will now keep this possibility for three years (eg. typical F1 test driver situation)

- Enlarging the list of Series included in the Super Licence point system following numerous requests from series for inclusion

- Adjusting of points given to some series already included to better reflect the strength of series.

- Granting the champion of the FIA Formula E Championship with a Super Licence, although the Championship is not part of the points system.
Source: http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-...il-2015-mexico

Last edited by jfxavier : 11th July 2015 at 02:00.
Old 17th July 2015, 14:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Bottas deal done apparently
http://www.thisisf1.com/2015/07/17/b...ace-raikkonen/

Kimi's option clause expires on 31st July. Seems natural to do it before that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks