Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2015, 21:49   #16
BHPian

Re: 2015 British F1 GP Race Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Take aways for me from today's race
1.Vettel will have a new partner next year
2.Kvyat has well and truly managed to wipe off that toothpaste ad smile from his team mate's face

..and both these make me really happy .

Feel sorry for Williams though. It was really brave of them to let their drivers race and ask Bottas to make it clean instead of asking Felipe to pull over. If you are the fastest guy, then you overtake the other car - as simple as that.
Haas seems like a possible destination for Kimi. But they will really need someone who can give proper feedback to develop the car and not one word answers.

WRT overtaking, the margins that are required to pull off a successful overtake has increased quite a bit due to the over dependency on the front wing downforce. We need ground effects, and fast.

Maybe a good idea to fix a few sprinklers around the track and give the switch to Bernie so that he can make the race "exciting" whenever he feels bored.
Old 6th July 2015, 06:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Haas seems like a possible destination for Kimi. But they will really need someone who can give proper feedback to develop the car and not one word answers.
Seeing Alonso's situation with Honda, I don't think Kimi would want to go to a non-competitive team and have another couple of years fighting at the back. Kimi has been in F1 scene long enough that squeezing out another year of his F1 career is not going to make any difference. He is probably better off retiring from F1 in case Ferrari doesn't extend his contract and try out something like the Endurance racing where it is more about consistency than outright single lap pace and he should be able to fare better.

On a slightly different note, Bottas got a taste of how his Ferrari seat would be when he got team orders yesterday. If Bottas takes up the second Ferrari seat and says "I'm faster than Seb", he'll most likely get a response to drive slower

Last edited by zenren : 6th July 2015 at 07:03.
Old 6th July 2015, 09:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Oh! How nice of Karma to payback Williams so soon

Two races in a row where Ferrari were faster, Williams manage to steal the podium from under their noses. Ferrari return the favor this time in Silverstone in the form of a timely pitstop for Seb Vettel. Bottas asking for the team's permission to overtake Massa and asking for team's help saying he has more pace, is simply pathetic. If you want to be a champion, you make the overtake and inform the team by pulling away from the other car. Thankfully Massa didn't suffer a repeat of Hockenheim 2010.

Always knew rain would not favor Ferrari but it would be even worse for Williams. Turned out in the exact same way. Kimi revisiting Malaysia 2009 for an awful time to change to Inters.

Rosberg did well to catch and pass Hamilton and Hamilton used that to his advantage to pit in the meantime. Lucky for him and Vettel, the rain intensity increased, making their race worthwhile.

Kvyat managing to become the fastest RB in the last few races despite a chassis change for Ricciardo. It must be like Deja Vu for Ricciardo, only that he is in the receiving end of it.

Alonso creating a record with McLaren in their home grand prix by getting a solitary point by running around when the chequered flag fell. How times have changed

Kimi was running fine until he got passed by Vettel when the rain was falling initially. The reaction to changing situation is something that he hasn't fully mastered yet is what I believe. He has a huge decision to make post the Euro leg, to continue or not in F1. So sad to see him not able to convert his pace into podiums. Something Vettel consistently is able to do since his debut in Ferrari.

3 weeks for Hungary, I will keep rewatching this the whole time. A thriller!
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 10:22   #19
BHPian

An exciting race after a long time. The start from Williams was magical. I was hoping to see some nail biting overtaking between Mercs and Williams. That never happened except for once when Hamilton tried overtaking Masa after the 1st safety car. Credit to Hamilton for trying but losing a place to Bottas.

Hamilton got two well timed pit stops and made the most of it. With Williams I feel they don't know the art of 'leading by example'. All champions have one thing in common (Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso) they know how to lead.

This is the 1st race this season when I was not surfing other channels during the race for better entertainment.
Old 6th July 2015, 10:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Rosberg and Vettel got lucky with the rain.
Would have been nice to see a Williams 2 and 3.

Surprising to see that the Mercs were not that much quicker in the dry.
Old 6th July 2015, 10:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, good racing after a very long time! Thanks to the Williams cars, they had the pace but had poor strategy to control the race. I think they should have let Bottas through when he clearly showed solid pace compared to Massa!

Sad to see Kimi become a laughing stock of the British GP running on Inters in a dry track!

And, Congratulations Alonso for your biggest milestone of 2015
Old 6th July 2015, 10:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post

With Williams I feel they don't know the art of 'leading by example'. All champions have one thing in common (Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso) they know how to lead.
Not just world champions. Rosberg has also showed just an example numerous times..Williams needed at least 30 seconds lead over Mercs to be in control of the race. That could have been possible if Bottas controled the race. The difference between top 4 was just less than 4 seconds. I'm starting to loose interest in F1 because of the driver favourtism on their grounds of country. Monaco for Rosberg and Britain for Hamilton. Or might just switch my team and it will be Mclaren Honda.. although they are not in a condition now but I have long faith in them that they will emerge with the patiance they are showing.. The positivity in Alonso and Button is worth waiting...
mattyf1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 11:51   #23
BHPian

Slightly Interesting race after the previous boring races this season. I had to miss the race after the first few races to see bottas and team overtaking the mercs. When I came back, they were already overtaken by Hamilton and Nico. What happened? Any videos anyone has?

Ever glad to see SFI both in the points.
Old 6th July 2015, 12:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Apart from their late call on the Inters, weren't Williams a second or 2 slower (than the podium finishers) on the Inters? Massa started at about 2-3 seconds behind Vettel and ended up like 11 seconds behind him.

Anybody understands why Raikkonen/Vettel lost about 5-6 seconds at the time of Virtual Safety Car? They did gain about 7 seconds again after the VSC. Unlike the SC, pace under the VSC seemed quite inconsistent up and down the order.
Old 6th July 2015, 12:19   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic race . After a long time, there was non-stop action in F1.

The superb start by Williams (or poor start by Mercedes?) added fire to the first round. The typically British inconsistent weather made the final 20 laps fun.

Hamilton was very, very lucky with the timing of his final pitstop. If it weren't for that advantage, Rosberg would've murdered him. He was gaining fast & how.

I hate team orders and was frowning when Bottas got the radio call to stay behind Massa. Well, we were equally happy when Williams corrected that shortly thereafter, though I think the initial call affected Bottas drive & rhythm. He was demotivated by that.

Vettel - as always - ends up in the right place at the right time. Lucky him.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 12:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Vettel - as always - ends up in the right place at the right time. Lucky him.
Looks like Ferrari and Vettel are going well just lucky enough. Reminds me of Hamilton's move to Merc from Mclaren
Old 6th July 2015, 12:33   #27
BHPian

The Williams just flew past both the Mercs at the start. I expected atleast Massa to keep that place if at all Bottas couldn't overtake Hamilton. Would have been nice to see both Williams on the podium.

On one hand where the Williams were struggling with the slicks just as the rain set in, Rosberg's Mercedes was quite stable even with the slicks, although even he went off the track once. The Williams was acting like a baby walking on ice for the first time!

On another note: If Rosberg takes the top spot in qualifying, Hamilton puts on such a glum face! Doesn't even hand shake or talk properly to Ros. But, if he takes the pole then he is all happy and only then acts normal with Ros. While, I have never seen Ros putting on a glum face and being indifferent when Lewis takes the pole. He takes it sportingly. I hate this thing about Hamilton the most. Didn't pay much attention to it earlier, but now it has become a pattern. It is borderline 'cry baby' stuff.

On yet another note: Congratulations to Alonso on scoring the first point! Its really sad, how a serious title contender of the past and arguably the most talented driver of the lot struggles to get a single point!

-Bhargav
Old 6th July 2015, 12:54   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

It takes SPO much to make an F1 race exciting nowadays.
Accidents, and rains, and safety cars, and the oddity of the VSC.
It was a heart-in-mouth moment at the start, I thought Hammy lost it completely, but then saw rosberg behind, and the williams' ahead, and I knew this was ok. He'll eventually get by.
But soon enough it was clear that he's been informed that he doesnt need to be desperate, keeping close will be enough.

And the pitstop, that was serendipitpous, wasnt it? Kimi too early, rosberg just ONE lap late. That was the sweet spot!Brilliant brilliant race.

Williams, though, that wa snot a good tactic. They should have let him go sooner, bottas.
Old 6th July 2015, 14:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Amazing car control from the German!

https://vid.me/1n0N
anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 16:52   #30
BHPian

I missed the first 10 laps and when i saw what was going in - oh my god and not Aah My Gawd ...it was real fun and after a long time it was fun watching the race.

Seb has the uncanny ability to get the luck favour him (poor Webber and now Kimi). I think this will be Kimi's last season in F1. Bottas will replace him I guess.
On another note, Alonso's Honda engine ran well without any reliability concerns. I think they are sorting out their reliability issues . Too late, but they have to.
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed