Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 14:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Formula 1 USA GP – Austin, COTA

This "hat gate" is getting a bit out of hand. Yes, Nico is not as fast as LH and has 10-3 wins this season against him but he's still wants to compete & beat. He's lost the WDC 2nd year in a row (& much earlier this year). He's showing his emotions, exactly how he feels. I certainly wouldn't call him a sore loser. I say good that he's angry. I hope that it instills some fire in him so that he gets better. Else we will have another year like this unless Vettel has anything to do with it. If it's 3 way or 4 way, even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Er, Championship is finished. Unless you meant as an ego booster for the next season.
Not ego boost, morale boost.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 21:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Here's an interesting one that has a very witty title too: Rosberg, Massa, and the art of losing.

There's a certain irony in Lewis Hamilton having claimed his third drivers' title at the US Grand Prix, as the last driver to secure a championship in the United States was Keke Rosberg, father to a certain Nico. (Hint: not Hulkenberg)

But -- as has already been pointed out by the wits of the internet -- Nico Rosberg didn't wave farewell to his championship chances with a bit of wheelspin late in the American race. Whatever the mathematical reality, Rosberg lost the title months ago -- possibly even as early as last winter, when Hamilton set about identifying and eliminating his 2014 weaknesses in order to boost his claim on a third title.

What Rosberg seems to have forgotten is that there is a certain grace in losing with dignity, that a good sportsman can find himself venerated despite defeat.

In 2008, when Lewis claimed his first world championship, Felipe Massa had got there first. The Brazilian's term as world drivers' champion could be measured in minutes, but the grace with which he handled -- publicly -- a level of disappointment that most of us couldn't even imagine won the diminutive driver respect that endures to this day.

Despite having done everything he could to secure the title -- including qualifying on pole and winning the last race of the season -- Massa lost out thanks to Toyota's strategic fail. Nevertheless, he behaved like a consummate gentleman on the podium and in the post-race press conference, and made sure to seek out Hamilton to shake his hand and offer congratulations.

Any anger or misery he may have felt at the loss was kept behind closed doors.

Contrast that with the Austin podium, where second-placed Rosberg refused to join in on the traditional champagne spray-fest, having already petulantly tossed his podium baseball cap at Hamilton in the drivers' green room. Dignity and grace were in very short supply.

It's often said in Formula One that second place is merely first of the losers. In Austin, Nico Rosberg's actions made the old adage truer than it's ever been.

Source: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...lewis-hamilton
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 10:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, he probably lost it some races ago but doesn't his deep disappointment and gloomy look suggest he hadn't given up (maybe he wanted to delay the inevitable for 1 more race). Didn't he congratulate Lewis when he entered the room? I don't think at any point was he a poor loser. Infact IMO, i found him too happy on finishing 2nd to Hamilton in the past races. He should have been as mad as this earlier, and maybe he would have found himself still in contention.

Too much of cross examination is what i will say about the article.
Old 31st October 2015, 04:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
About the 'cap gate', we tend to read too much from one incident. To call Nico a sore loser based on that is bit harsh.

My respect for Nico increased tremendously after last years AbuDhabi GP. He did stay out till the end even though he was about to get lapped by his team mate. He did go and congratulate Lewis in the cool down room, IIRC. Nico has never die attitude, which I like very much, 2014 British GP qualification is an example for that.

Lewis, even though he looks calm on the outside often its not the case inside his head. It is more evident, if he is loosing. In Austin GP, he was bit perplexed by his relative lack of pace during the early part of the race and radioed in to check whether others are braking deep for turn 1. But he was not able to get an answer from the team because of the new rules.

Although he drove brilliant race afterwards, moment like these shows the vulnerability of Lewis. It will be interesting to see how Lewis will react after loosing few races in a row to Nico on pace.

For Nico and Lewis, we at least know what their emotions are based on their body language. Which is a stark contrast to Alonso, who's emotions are known to only himself.

COMPLETELY Off Topic, but here is a good video about 'The problem of Fame'

I highly recommend their videos, got a good collection of videos on life, philosophy and more.
'The School of life' YouTube

Last edited by ecenandu : 31st October 2015 at 05:09.
Old 31st October 2015, 13:25   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this comes out more because they have , more or less, the same car. Over the time of both of them together, its been Nico who cracks more often, more dramatically, and with worse consequences than Lewis. On the track. In my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

For Nico and Lewis, we at least know what their emotions are based on their body language. Which is a stark contrast to Alonso, who's emotions are known to only himself.
"GP2 Engine!!"
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 16:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night I was watching Mexico FP1 live on-line stream of skysports. WOW! what a coverage. Post FP1 they were showing post race happenings from COTA, Austin. mind-boggling! They were covering Mercedes' celebrations, lots of interviews, backside of pit with teams packing for Mexico. And last but not the least, Martin Brundle driving Lewis' car no. 44 at rain soaked Silverstone track. He was live commenting while driving about acceleration, braking, etc even in wet condition. We need this kind of post race coverage in India too.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 31st October 2015, 19:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I think this comes out more because they have , more or less, the same car. Over the time of both of them together, its been Nico who cracks more often, more dramatically, and with worse consequences than Lewis. On the track. In my opinion.

"GP2 Engine!!"
Ah, Good point. But Lewis hasn't been in Nico's position, right, that is beaten more than 3 races in a row. Anyway, lets see how Lewis will react in those situations in the future, if there is such situations.

On track, ha ha, no one beats Alonso.
Old 20th November 2015, 18:07   #53
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the success has gotten to his head!

In one fell swoop, Lewis Hamilton has maligned three more F1 stars.
Recently, the new triple world champion had to hit reverse gear after suggesting F1 legend Michael Schumacher's record seven titles were won with questionable tactics, while his own were the result of "my natural abilities only".

Now, the increasingly controversial 30-year-old has made his latest verbal gaffe in conversation with the German magazine Sport Bild.

When asked about the quadruple world champion and likely 2016 title challenger Sebastian Vettel, Hamilton said: "I have a lot of respect for him, but it's difficult to assess how good he really is.

"He's never been in a team with someone like Fernando Alonso, but always with people like Mark Webber, who was not on his level, and Kimi Raikkonen, who is no longer at the peak of his performance," the Briton added.

Before the Sport Bild interview, Hamilton's former McLaren teammate Jenson Button warned the Mercedes driver about letting his recent success make him "arrogant".

When asked about his arguably excessive confidence, Hamilton told Sport Bild: "I would not call it self-confidence, but extreme faith in myself.
"That is the key to success," he argued.
"Before my debut in 2007, I knew it would be hard to beat Fernando, but I also knew that I could do it.
"I still remember before the first race, Ron Dennis said I shouldn't be too disappointed if Alonso beats me really badly. But I knew that it wouldn't happen," added Hamilton. (GMM)

Source: http://www.thisisf1.com/2015/11/19/h...cQDJIqPuxE0.99
Old 20th November 2015, 19:18   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"He's never been in a team with someone like Fernando Alonso, but always with people like Mark Webber, who was not on his level, and Kimi Raikkonen, who is no longer at the peak of his performance," the Briton added.
Vettel has been very good this year, even threatening to take 2nd place in WDC. So surely, making a statement like this would be considered arrogant. But Hamilton is right on two counts - I doubt if anyone would argue that Webber was equal to Vettel or that Raikkonen is still the force he once was. Apart from appearing slower than Vettel, Kimi seems to be making mistakes in qualifying (James Allison said so) and he has had his fair share of clumsy races this year.
Old 21st November 2015, 00:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the success has gotten to his head!
May be.

But I prefer to hear an honest answer in those situation than a diplomatic one. Since he has made such a remark, it would be interesting to see how he respond during the time of failure.

Action speaks louder than words, aren't we stereotyping based on comments made by athletes.

Diplomatic : Good guy.
Being honest : Arrogant, Jerk.

It was fun going through those comments in the link provided by you.

I have a massive respect for the determination shown by these guys. I really hope Nico continues his current form to the next year, then we will have an interesting battle on card.

Last edited by ecenandu : 21st November 2015 at 00:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks