Team-BHP - 2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/170152-2015-formula-1-brazilian-gp-s-o-paulo.html)

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-title.jpg

The Autódromo José Carlos Pace is one of the oldest and best-loved tracks on the Formula 1 calendar. The track is named after Brazilian F1 driver Carlos Pace, who won his home grand prix in 1975, but it’s better known as Interlagos after the suburb of São Paulo in which it’s located. It’s an undulating anti-clockwise layout and it’s been the permanent home of the Brazilian Grand Prix since 1990.

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-image1.img.1024.medium.jpg

The circuit has several characteristics that set it apart from other F1 circuits, most notably its bumps and its altitude and an anti- clockwise direction, which is quite unusual in Formula One.

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-track.jpg

The track was resurfaced prior to last year’s race, making it smoother, but the unstable marshland on which it’s built creates fresh bumps on an annual basis, particularly in Sector Two. It’s an interesting technical challenge because set-up is a difficult compromise between straight-line speed and slow-corner grip. The race is notorious for changeable weather conditions at this time of the year and despite the best efforts of the organisers and regular re-surfacing work, the moment you get rain you get rivers across the circuit and it becomes very difficult to drive.

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-crowd.jpg

But it’s an always an exciting race and there’s a passionate crowd, which makes it great fun for the drivers.
Altitude is another factor that the teams have to consider. The track is situated 800m (2,625 feet) above sea level and the thinner air has a bearing on all areas of car performance, particularly aerodynamics and cooling. Power unit losses are minimal, due to the turbo and the ERS.

Timings:

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-timing.jpg

Track Data:

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-circuit-data.jpg

Race distance : 71 laps (full world championship points awarded after 75 per cent distance/53 laps)

Circuit length : 4.309km (2.678 miles)

Run to Turn One : 190m (0.118 miles)

Longest straight : 650m (0.404 miles), on the approach to Turn One

Top speed : 323km/h (201mph) on the approach to Turn One

DRS zones : Two – on the approach to Turn One and again on the approach to Turn Four

Pitlane length : 380 metres (0.191 miles)

Fuel consumption : Low.

Full throttle : 60 per cent approx.

Gear changes : 42 per lap/2982 per race

Chances of a Safety Car : 70 per cent chance of the Safety Car appearing and it’s something the engineers factor into their race strategies

2014 winner : Nico Rosberg 71 laps in 1:30m02.555

2014 pole position : Nico Rosberg 1m10.023 221.532km/h (137.654mph)

2014 fastest lap : Lewis Hamilton lap 62 1m13.555 210.895km/h (131.044mph)

Braking:

Brake wear : Medium.

There are only six braking events around the lap, of which only two are heavy. This is a very ‘driven’ track with long, fast turns that translate into not-so-demanding braking sections. Of the track’s 7 braking sections, none are particularly difficult for the braking system which has plenty of time to cool down despite the fact that the drivers have a foot on the brake pedal for about 17% of the time.
* Turn 01 is considered the most demanding for the braking system.

History:

In 1938 a huge plot of land was bought in Sao Paulo by two local property developers who intended to build a large housing development. It soon became clear, however, that one part of the land was not suitable for housing. As the motor racing scene grew, the Automobile Club of Brazil took advantage of the land and turned it into what would be one of the most famous circuits on the Formula One calendar. Sao Paulo also grew at an incredible speed though and soon the circuit was surrounded by houses.
When, in the 1970s, Emerson Fittipaldi began to have international success, the Brazilians started to want a Grand Prix. In 1971 and 1972 Interlagos hosted non-championship events but in 1973 the track staged its first championship Grand Prix. The track became a lucky charm for local racers, with Fittipaldi and Carlos Pace taking the spoils of victory in the 1970s. Interlagos was the scene of Pace's first and only Formula One triumph, and following his death in a plane crash the circuit was renamed in his honour.
In 1978 the Grand Prix moved to Rio, but in 1979 Interlagos got its race back. By 1981, however, Rio had retaken the Grand Prix, Sao Paulo's slums being at odds with the glamorous image Formula One wanted to portray and the local government would not invest into the Interlagos circuit. When a $15m redevelopment programme was agreed in the heyday of Ayrton Senna, a Sao Paulo local, the race finally switched back to Interlagos and there it has stayed, albeit on a smaller 4.3 kilometre circuit rather than the original circuit, which was almost eight kilometres long. Since Senna's death there has been no Brazilian world champion, but the passion of the Brazilian fans keeps the sport coming back every year.
In 2014 the circuit was completely resurfaced, with a much smoother surface. Following a series of heavy accidents in national races, the pit lane was reprofiled with the entry brought forward from the Arquibancadas corner to move it off the racing line and a chicane added to the pit lane to further slow cars entering the pits. Work continued into 2015 culminating in the completion of new pits.

Tyres :

As was the case last year, Pirelli will take their Soft (Option) and Medium (Prime) tyre compounds to the race, which has been selected for the ninth and final time in 2015. Should the weather conditions prove favourable, fast lap times are expected.
Expected performance gap between the two compounds: 0.9 seconds per lap.
Pirelli : Paul Hembery © PirelliPaul Hembery, Pirelli motorsport director.
“Interlagos is one of those historic venues that has helped to shape the history of Formula One, so it’s a pleasure to come here and experience once more the unique atmosphere and passion from the local fans, at the end of what is our first American triple header in Formula One, with races in the United States, Mexico and now Brazil.
South America and Brazil in particular is one of Pirelli’s biggest global markets, so this is a particularly important race for us, as we are so widely represented here. The changes to the asphalt at Interlagos last year altered the pattern of tyre behaviour, so it will be interesting to see how that affects tyre usage this year.
Traditionally, Interlagos is quite a high-energy circuit for tyres, so we would expect to see two or three pit stops for the majority of competitors. As always though, we will only have an accurate picture of the real situation after the opening free practice sessions on Friday.”
The biggest challenges for the tyres:
The re-asphalting of the circuit last year changed the abrasion levels of the surface, and it is also possible that there will be some additional patches of new asphalt again this year. Other improvements to the circuit this year include a new pit complex.
The circuit is rear-limited, with the right-rear tyre being the most stressed due to the anti-clockwise layout – which is also the case at the next and final venue on the calendar, in Abu Dhabi.
Tyres are often subjected to combined forces at Interlagos: in other words lateral and longitudinal demands at the same time. This raises the temperature of the compound. Downforce levels are generally high, with aerodynamic and mechanical grip requirements roughly in equal proportion.

Blasts from the past:

https://youtu.be/3eYDmAZzEDE
1991 – Notable for Ayrton Senna suffering gearbox problems, leading him to have to drive around without third, fourth and fifth gears. With the Brazilian trying his hardest and taking corners in sixth gear, he managed to hold of Riccardo Patrese to take the victory, an act that would leave him so exhausted that he would have to be lifted from his car.

https://youtu.be/cDHGYabTgG8

1993 – Alain Prost seemed to have the title race under control, but despite not being affected by a big accident on the first lap, he spun off and hit Christian Fittipaldi as the rain started to fall. This brought out a safety car that led to Damon Hill’s lead over Senna being wiped out, and the Brazilian took advantage to overtake the Brit and take both victory and the lead in the world championship.

https://youtu.be/VsLX2Uen2dc

2008 – Lewis Hamilton dramatically won the Formula One world championship on the final lap of the final race of the season at Interlagos. Needing to finish in fifth place to have any chance of becoming champion while Felipe Massa led the race, Sebastian Vettel overtook the British driver to take fifth place, but on the final lap Hamilton got past Timo Glock – who had the misfortune of staying on dry tyres – in order to win the championship.

https://youtu.be/Maog-wORsLY

2012 - One corner into the race and championship favourite Sebastian Vettel finds himself facing the wrong way with the rest of the pack streaming past - trigger an epic recovery drive and a thrilling title decider.

What to expect in 2015?

Who will take the honours this weekend? Hamilton or Rosberg? Looking like a "not so well" Lewis against "On a charge" Nico. Good chance that we will see a nice one.clap:

It is highly likely that we will see both Mercedes’ on the podium this coming weekend. Both drivers are on form and neither want’s to lose against the other.

Sebastian Vettel might be the nearest challenger to the Silver Arrows, but he seemed to be lost during the last race. Maybe time for Kimi to show up.

Bottas appears to be the most consistent of the two Williams drivers but it is Massa’s home race and the Brazillian would no doubt want to do well in front of his supporters.

And then we have the Toro Rosso and Red Bull drivers. Will they or will they not take the upgraded Renault power unit this weekend and what difference can it make if they have to fight from down the grid. All four drivers however are on form, perhaps young Verstappen most of all.

Weather forecast :
Warm and wet.
There’s been a lot of rain in recent weeks in São Paulo and the weather conditions look similarly unpredictable over the race weekend. maybe that's what is needed in the 2015 season that's all but done with.

Source : FIA media kit, Formula1 website & team reviews

Team Reviews:

Sauber
Marcus Ericsson
“It is exciting going to Brazil, as it will be my first time racing in Sao Paulo. I am looking forward to it for two reasons - on a personal level, and also because it is the home Grand Prix for Banco do Brasil, one of our Principal Partners. Of course, as a team we will do our very best with the objective being that Felipe and I will finish the race in the points. That would be a great achievement for everyone. From what I have seen on videos as well as on the data, traction is really important on this track. The first corner is also crucial, as you need to carry the speed when going onto the back straight. Therefore, it is important to have a well-balanced car.”
Felipe Nasr
“I am really looking forward to my first ever Formula One Grand Prix in Interlagos. I am sure there is going to be a lot of energy around the track from all the fans. It will be a very exciting weekend for me representing my home country in Formula One. Last year I drove in FP1 for Williams, which was a nice feeling. But racing in Formula One in front of my home crowd is a dream I have always had. Considering our motorsport history, it is not only a pleasure and honour, but also a moment to remember.”
Giampaolo Dall’Ara, head of Track Engineering
“The circuit at Interlagos offers a relatively high amount of challenges, considering the short lap distance. Trading the demand for speed on the two long straights with the stability and grip requirements of the infield will be challenging for both the drivers and engineers. Moreover, the ever changeable weather often adds to that challenge at this time of the year. The choice of medium and soft tyres is going to boost the show further, allowing some freedom with the strategies. Last, but not least, the atmosphere on race day makes the Brazilian Grand Prix a very special event.”

Lotus
Romain Grosjean

“Interlagos is a fantastic track and there’s no part of it that isn’t great. It really suits my driving style so I’m really looking forward to it. It’s a big challenge at every turn. There never seems to have a part where you relax. Even the main start-finish ‘straight’ isn’t boring as it starts uphill with some interesting camber, then gradually turns before finishing at the downhill turn one, where it’s so easy to out-brake yourself.
“If I had to pick favourite parts of Interlagos, I would say the first and last corners; the first corner is really technical and punishes you if you get it wrong, and the last corner is so fast and really puts quite a stain on your body. As a driver I really enjoy these corners. It’s an old style track, so very hard to pick out a single element; I’d say everything is pretty good in Interlagos; I love it!
“[The Brazilian fans] really love Formula One and Formula One really loves the Brazilian fans. You feel the passion when you arrive at the circuit and you see so many fans outside and around the track and city too. Of course, we know they all save their strongest support for their own Brazilian drivers but everyone in Formula One gets a strong welcome.”
Pastor Maldonado
“Interlagos may not have the most impressive infrastructure these days but it is a great, historic circuit. I really love the track, the atmosphere and the people. Brazilians have such a great Formula One heritage and for me it will be great to be at another event where there are a lot of Venezuelans in the crowds. Hopefully we can have a great race and put on another good show for the South American fans.
“Technically it’s always tricky to find a setup balance between the twisty parts of the circuit and the long straights. In an ideal world you’d want Monza-spec for the start and end of the lap and Hungaroring-spec for the rest! Different drivers and teams will make different compromises, which all adds up to an interesting race. Some will go for greater straight-line speed to help them pass and defend in the race, others more downforce for a better lap time and less sliding. Bumps can also be an issue and there are several overtaking opportunities on the track which rewards late braking, both to go on the attack and keep rivals behind. Last but not least the unpredictable weather is sure to keep us on our toes.
“We all know the amount of rain which can fall in Sao Paulo and the Interlagos track even has grooves cut into it to help the water flow off the track! It’s a challenging circuit in the dry and even more so in the wet, but there have been some amazing races over the years because of this. One of the great aspects of racing at Interlagos is you can almost feel the vibe of the crowd as well as hear their enthusiasm, even when the rain is falling. Whatever the weather, we’ll be pushing for the best result possible.”
Nick Chester, technical director
“It is a tricky circuit to find the right set-up. The middle sector is very twisty with a lot of low speed turns and then the final sector which is essentially a long uphill corner on to a very long straight. You rely on strong engine power and delivery for the straight. You need a nice stable car for the twisty mid-section where a driver wants a strong turn-in without much understeer, and you want strong traction on exit after a balanced mid-section. The compromise on how to run on downforce is quite challenging. You want to take downforce off for the last sector but then want it on for the other sectors. We tend to rely on where the simulation suggests will be the best compromise. We normally don’t run on full downforce which is probably what we will do again this weekend.”

Williams
Valtteri Bottas

“I haven’t had the best races in Brazil in the past, but I’m looking forward to fixing that. It’s a very nice circuit to drive, it has a good combination of different types of corners, and it’s good for racing with good possibilities for overtaking. The fans are very passionate and obviously with Felipe being Brazilian there is a lot of support for Williams Martini Racing. Hopefully this time around I can have a good result. We will be looking to fight with Ferrari and Red Bull for an opportunity to be on the podium. That will be the target.”
Felipe Massa
“Your home Grand Prix is always the most important race for a driver. For me to race at home where I started my career - first on the other side of the wall at the kart track, then onto the race track - there is always a big expectation to perform in front of your home crowd. I love the track, it’s one of the best tracks for me and I’ve always had good results there. I’m really looking forward to hopefully achieving another amazing result this year. Last year we managed to finish on the podium. It was a race with so many things happening - I had a five-second penalty and even stopped in the wrong garage - but we still managed to have an amazing race so it’s important to look back on what we did last year to try to repeat it and have a very strong weekend once again. The passion from the fans is amazing. The emotion they have and how close they are to me as a driver, it’s really an amazing feeling to race at home. The experience is difficult to explain.”
Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering
“We head to Brazil after a good result for the team in Mexico. We are in good spirits, with our main target of securing third position in the constructors’ championship still firmly on track. It means we are going to be racing extremely hard to make that happen. Equally as important will be beating the cars that we have been racing against all season. Brazil should be a good circuit for our cars - it was certainly good for us last year with Felipe on the podium at his home race, and we will look to repeat that. The layout is power and drag sensitive so the efficiency should work in our favour. The hard part will be getting the car to perform well in sector two. We want to get a good result and find ourselves in a position to celebrate securing third position on Sunday evening.”

McLaren
Fernando Alonso

“The last couple of races have been frustrating on my side of the garage, as we’ve had some bad luck with reliability issues. It’s something we’re always working hard on and we’ll be looking especially closely at in the lead up to the Brazilian Grand Prix, so we can make sure we get the most track time possible over the course of the weekend.
“We knew Mexico would be tough, and many of Interlagos’ characteristics are similar, with its steep sections and long straights. However, the circuit is incredible to drive and always a lot of fun, so I’m looking forward to the weekend. We are still seeing progress in our pace and small improvements in every area race by race, so we know it’s important to keep our heads down and keep pushing towards the end of the season. Every race counts and the more we can learn and gather data at every track, the more information we will have at our disposal over the winter and for the development of our package.
“After the incredible fan support we received in Mexico, I know we’ll receive another warm welcome in Brazil. The atmosphere is always fantastic and the Brazilian fans are just as passionate. It’s a very special place and we always see unpredictable racing there, so let’s hope we can have some fun this weekend.”
Jenson Button
“Interlagos has got to be up there with the all-time great circuits in Formula One. There’s so much history there, so many legends have raced on that circuit, and the fans are always so enthusiastic that you can’t help but love going back there each year.
“For me personally, the track is very special. It’s a tough circuit on the cars as it’s so bumpy, but really fun to drive with its off-camber sections and technical mix of corners. Although we found it tough in Mexico - especially with the altitude - our pace in the corners was positive, so I’m looking forward to seeing how our car performs in those areas in Brazil.
“The weather is usually unpredictable too, which has made for some chaotic races in the past. It’s great for the fans and always produces some really interesting results, so hopefully we can put ourselves in a position to take advantage if anything happens. Unlike the last couple of races, I hope we can get some solid dry running done initially so that we can really focus on set-up and reliability, and get as much time on track as possible from Friday onwards - then we’ll see what we can do from there.”
Eric Boullier, racing director, McLaren-Honda
“After the drama of Austin and spectacle of Mexico, it’s great to move to another hugely popular circuit in the Americas, and a track that holds great memories for the McLaren-Honda team. We’ve enjoyed numerous nail-biting finishes, stunning victories and tense championship battles there, and Interlagos is a venue universally loved by the whole Formula One community.
“Over its incredible 78-year history, its charm is as strong as ever, and the fans are just as animated. Interlagos has an incredible heritage and it’s great to see its legacy continue. It’s a fantastic driver’s track with lots of uniquely challenging features that the drivers love, and the fans love to watch. Although no longer the season finale, there’s always a great sense of anticipation before every Brazilian Grand Prix, and this year is no different.
“For McLaren-Honda, after a challenging couple of races, we are looking forward to arriving at the Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace and pushing hard with our development for the next two Grands Prix. Although the end of the season is in sight, we are still working flat-out to bring new parts to the car and maximise our learning and development until the last possible moment. We are focussing on both reliability and performance, and hope for a more positive weekend at this legendary circuit.”
Yasuhisa Arai, Honda R&D senior managing officer - chief officer of motorsport
“Following on from the Mexican Grand Prix, Brazil will be another atmospheric race weekend for fans of Formula One.
“Interlagos is a mixture of fast flowing corners, with a technical slow section and multiple undulating turns. The tightness of the layout will hopefully make for an exciting race, with close competition and overtaking.
“The car and the power unit will both be busy there, changing direction and speed with every turn, which makes throttle response and car balance important.
“We predict that the altitude of the circuit, albeit not as high as Mexico City, will slightly affect the performance of the car, so we will fine-tune the driveability and deployment of the power unit accordingly."

Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton

"Interlagos is one of the real classics - quite short, tough on tyres, with variable weather and a really tricky start to the lap that always seems to bring drama. Then there's the fans. The Brazilian people are so passionate, fun and outgoing. It's a vibrant country, full of colour, and somewhere that's quite special to me. This was the home race for Ayrton, so it was a dream of mine to race in São Paulo when I was younger and I always feel his presence when I'm there. He was such a huge hero in Brazil and it's humbling that I always get such a warm response there. It's amazing to think that it took Ayrton eight attempts to win this race and it's one of the few I haven't yet won myself. If I can change that this weekend it would be a salute to him and another highlight to add to this amazing year, so I'll be going all out to make that happen."
Nico Rosberg
"I'm really pumped to get to São Paulo and get back out on track after a great weekend in Mexico. For a start, Interlagos is one of the classic races on the calendar. It's a tricky circuit that's a really good challenge for a driver, with plenty of overtaking opportunities and crazy weather that always makes for an action-packed race. I have good memories from Brazil, too. I've usually been pretty quick there and last year was a good battle with Lewis, when I came out on top. Standing on the top step after a hard-earned win, following in the footsteps of so many great drivers who have won there and with the passionate Brazilian crowd cheering on - that was a great feeling. I'd love to experience that again, so the aim is to put on another good show for the fans and to carry my form from Mexico into this race. It's always a great feeling to head into a weekend on the back of a win, so I'm confident of a strong performance."
Toto Wolff, Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport
"We came away from Mexico with many positives. On track, our boys delivered strong drives to claim an emphatic one-two for the team. In the garage and on the pit wall, the crew were faultless - fast pit stops, a good race strategy and two cars which performed well at a new venue with unique challenges. And for the sport, we saw a fantastic event which brought Formula One back to Mexico in style. We now have two races remaining to watch an intense and entertaining battle continue. The rivalry like we have between Lewis and Nico is great for the sport, great for the team and great for the drivers themselves. They are pushing each other harder and harder, pushing the team forward with them and providing a fascinating story. Of course, they are never without pressure from rivals further afield. Ferrari had a bad weekend in Mexico but they will no doubt be a threat in Brazil - as will Williams after another podium finish last time out. This is a race which often brings surprises and never fails to entertain. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what's in store for us at Interlagos."
Paddy Lowe, Executive Director (Technical)
"Interlagos is another historic circuit with some great features - most notably the long climb through the final corner, across the start / finish straight and back down into the first corner. The weather can be quite unpredictable in São Paulo too - often leading to dramatic and spectacular races. Furthermore, the tyres were right on the edge at this circuit last year, so if it does remain dry this may be another issue to contend with across the weekend. However, while the high-altitude location of the circuit has been a talking point in the past, this is insignificant compared to what we experienced at the last race. Likewise, it will be difficult to match the atmosphere in Mexico City which was absolutely fantastic. But the Brazilian crowd has traditionally been one of the most enthusiastic of the year, so I'm sure they'll be up for the challenge! So, we look forward to another exciting and entertaining weekend in São Paulo. This was, of course, where Lewis clinched his first World Championship title - but surprisingly he has never won at Interlagos. We saw a fascinating duel between our two drivers there last year, with Nico emerging on top after a fantastic drive. So hopefully we'll be treated to another good battle at the penultimate race of this season."

Force India
Sergio Perez

"Racing in my home Grand Prix last week was a dream come true. The support from the fans was incredible and I have so many memories that will stay with me forever. I was happy with my performance over the weekend and I think it was one of my best races of the season. You can always look back and say, ‘what if the safety car hadn't come out', but we made the best of it and I was happy to score points in my home race.
"Brazil is another venue where you can feel the energy of the fans. The track is brilliant: it's a proper racer's circuit with some amazing corners. The first sector is fantastic: you can take different lines through turn one and you can end up in a battle for position that lasts until turn six. The lap is very technical and there are a lot of places where you can easily make a mistake, but the feeling when you get a perfect lap together is amazing.
"In the last few races we've had a really good run of results. I feel I'm driving at my best and the team is doing a fantastic job. We want to finish this season on a high and I think we still have some big results in us, so I am confident ahead of the race."
Nico Hulkenberg
"I really love Brazil as a country and Sao Paulo as a city. The track is very traditional and there is always a special atmosphere around the place. There are some fun corners - the Senna Esses are really cool as turns one, two and three make up a nice combination. The lap is quite short but there are a lot of elevation changes and banked corners, which create a very challenging lap. It's a track where I really enjoy driving.
"Interlagos has been quite good to me: I had a pole position in 2010, led the race in 2012 and I've always finished in the points. I seem to have good chemistry there and I feel comfortable on and off the track. I can really identify with the Brazilian lifestyle and the people. I think we will be competitive so I hope I can add another strong result to the list."
Vijay Mallya, team principal
"We travel to Brazil off the back of a memorable and successful weekend in Mexico. Everybody I spoke to said how much they enjoyed the event and the warm welcome we received. It was a race where we maximised our opportunities to bring both cars home well inside the points and edge closer to securing fifth place in the championship.
"The Brazilian Grand Prix is another great event. It's an historic venue where the fans always create a special atmosphere – much like Mexico. The Interlagos circuit always seems to deliver an exciting race because it's an old school track with several good overtaking opportunities. The weather is also unpredictable and that often adds to the drama.
"With just two races to go, we must keep our focus and make sure we don't let our guard down so close to the finish line. If we score well in Brazil, we can clinch fifth place in the championship and that's the priority. I'm confident we can do it and getting both cars home in the points would be a great way to celebrate our best season ever."

Red Bull
Daniil Kvyat

“It’s one of F1’s classic tracks and the atmosphere is always great. I think they have done some rebuilding there and I’m looking forward to seeing how the paddock has changed. It was the smallest of the year and kind of difficult for teams to work in and it will be good to see what has been done.
“But whatever they have done I don’t think it will change the atmosphere. It’s always amazing, with the fans so close to the track. They really have a big passion for Formula One and the feeling is always good on the grid there - even though it’s a bit crazy!
“It’s a good circuit and like I said it’s one of the classics. It’s got good changes of elevation, it’s quite a quick, short lap and there are some good overtaking spots. It’s nice to drive; it has a good flow to it with some good high-speed corners, which is what drivers always enjoy.
“It has some great memories for me, because I did my second free practice in F1 there in 2013 with Toro Rosso. It was wet but I really enjoyed it and I finished I think eighth or ninth. Last year’s race wasn’t great. I had a grid penalty and started 17th but I managed to finish 11th.
“The city is enormous. It’s hard to get a good feel for it really because it’s so big but the food there is really good and it has got some really nice restaurants, if you know where to go. Also the girls are really pretty!”
Daniel Ricciardo
“I don’t think I’ve ever done one [perfect lap of Interlagos], so I’ve got no secrets! What I have learned is that you shouldn’t think ahead too much. You have to take it corner-by-corner and concentrate on the one you’re in. There’s not many that you string together. There’s not many corners full stop.
“Brazil’s a wonderful Grand Prix with a great atmosphere in an exciting city but the track doesn’t really do it for me. There’s just not a corner that gives you any real satisfaction. I don’t want to make it sound dull, because it isn’t, but like Russia, there isn’t a corner that makes you go ‘Woooo-Hoooo!’ It needs a few more corners and something really high speed. There’s a couple that look good on paper but because of the cambers, you never really have the grip to go barrelling in. The crowd really gets your heart-rate up before the sessions, so you want to be really on it but instead have to be very patient.
“The start-finish straight is very narrow, so if your grid slot is on the outside, you’re about two metres away from the grandstand. You better hope they [the crowd] like you because if not you’re a pretty easy target when you’re pulling your helmet on! It’s a good time though. Lots of noise, lots of airhorns, trumpets, drums. Like Mexico, it’s the crowd you want for a Grand Prix. Brazilians are cool.”

Source : Formula1 website.

Thursday PC :

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-pc-thurs.jpg

DRIVERS – Felipe MASSA (Williams), Felipe NASR (Sauber), Max VERSTAPPEN (Toro Rosso), Nico HULKENBERG (Force India), Jenson BUTTON (McLaren), Sebastian VETTEL (Ferrari)

Source : http://www.fia.com/news/2015-brazili...ess-conference

Some questions about 2016.

Quote:

Jenson BUTTON

You’ve had championship years, race-winning years, but you’ve also had some tough years as well, so you’ve been in this position before. When you have a tough season, presumably you always want to take something out of it that you can use as a platform for the year that follows. What will you be taking out of 2015?
JB: Lots of learning. It’s obviously still… I know we keep saying it, but it is still a very young partnership. We’ve learned so much this year with the power unit, with the idea of the aerodynamics of the car, because it’s very different to a normal McLaren, so there is a lot of learning to take from this season. We obviously need to make a big step next year – we know that – so it’s going to be a long, hard winter, but an exciting one as well.

Quote:

Nico HULKENBERG

The team has scored 81 points in the last nine races, since you brought the car on stream, is that the limit of what this team can achieve or do you think you can use this a platform for more next season?

NH: That’s the idea, that we can continue growing and use this solid base that we have now with this car to develop more and get closer to the top for sure. The key will be the winter, that we really develop in the right direction and keep moving forward, but I have good faith in and trust in the team that we can achieve that
Quote:

Sebastian VETTEL

Q: There are many counting on you to take the fight to Mercedes next season. Are you yet at the point of believing that this is definitely possible?
SV: Well, it’s always difficult to predict what’s going to happen but surely it is our target. Surely I can see what’s happening in the background, the work that has gone into this year, the work that is going into next year back in the factory, back in Maranello with all the people, so it looks promising and I think we should be able to make a good step forward. Now, obviously the most important day is when you put the new car on the track and you see what it does – but that’s still a bit far away. For now I think we have two races left and we want to do well and ideally get the best possible results here and in Abu Dhabi.
Quote:

Q: (Silvia Arias – Parabrisas) I would like to know from all of you the weak points and the strong points of your team during this year?
NH: The strongest point and the weakest point? I think the strong point is that we’re very efficient with what we’ve got, if you consider the size of our team and the budget we have. I think we make a pretty good job of it. And the weakness is, yeah, we need deeper pockets.
JB: We don’t have any weaknesses, we’re perfect. Where are the strengths? No, we have a lot of strengths and I think everyone knows McLaren and what they’ve achieved. It is still the same team. In terms of what we do on a race weekend, I think we’re doing a very good job, we’re getting the best out of what we have, I think maximising the potential of what we have at the moment. The issues for us are, as I’ve said before, as I’ve said, it’s a lot younger our project, than others so it does take time and obviously during a season it’s very difficult to make changes but this winter is a very important one for us, to make those big changes and come out a lot stronger next year because we don’t want to be where we are, we want to be fighting near the front. Whether we can win races or not, that’s another question but I think we can at last fight at the front next year. There’s a lot of hard work going on and I think another positive with this team is the confidence. Even in difficult times like now there’s still a lot of confidence in the team and they’re still working flat out to improve the car and the power unit, so there’s a good atmosphere which a lot of people are surprised about but there really is.
FM: Well, I think for the size of the team I think we’re doing a great job, compared to the big teams. For what we have, I think we’re doing a really really good job. We’re fighting with the big teams and I think we cannot forget that that’s a very difficult achievement and that’s very important for us. We definitely have some points that... we need to be more efficient, perfect with many things which are a little bit easier to fix, like strategies, even pit stops but it’s something that we’re working so hard to improve but I think for our size we’re doing a really really good job, so we just need a little bit more money to put in the car and I’m sure we’re going to make the lives of these guys even more difficult.
FN: Well, I guess for us at Sauber has been in a difficult situation as well. If you look back at last year, they scored zero points, they didn’t score any points in the season and we have surpassed any expectations for this season scoring quite a good amount of points when we could, when we had the opportunity. What I like to see is the motivation of the people there. Nobody is giving up, you know, on what we have, what we can do. We’ve got good people inside the team. It’s just a matter of time, we have to be patient now and things are looking better for next year so all I want to do is also to fight for better results so when things come together, when it’s time to do it, I’m quite confident next year we’re going to do a step forward again.
SV: Well, I think the strong point that I have certainly been overwhelmed by is the passion for Ferrari, I think inside the team but also the fan base around the world so the Red Magic. The weak point – the food is a strong point, believe me – the weak point? Obviously we’ve had a great season so far and after the races that we won, we had some good celebrations as well and I think we can improve on how resilient we are to certain drinks but it comes with practice, I hope, so hopefully we can practise many times next year.
MV: I think the strong point is the atmosphere in the team and maybe it’s something Italian. I enjoyed it a lot also in go-karting and I still have it here as well. It’s like a big family and I think when a driver feels well in a team, also the performance goes better so definitely enjoying it. Also the team is still very young and they are very ambitious and I think already compared to last year the car is a big step forward, so I’m very happy with that, to be able to drive such a good car. So yeah, the weak point, I don’t really have a big weak point in the team. It’s just that we’re missing a little bit of top speed, maybe that’s the only thing.

Here are the practice timings.
New track surface and higher kerbs seems to be slowing the cars down.
Maybe the new track record will not happen this year.
The new Renault engine doesnt seem to be miles ahead of the old one.

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-fp1.jpg

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-fp2.jpg

FIA will conduct a small ceremony to express solidarity with the french after the bloodbath in Paris this weekend.
Not everyone was amused with Jean Todt's comments comparing the numbers of road accident victims to the number of dead in the massacre.

Coming to F1, only rain can save this race.
Friday night had a thunderstorm raging and then Quali weather was calm and quiet.
Such is the advantage that the Mercedes cars are able to exert, that Lewis who was facing the wrong way on track for most of the time in a session still manages to finish on top of the time sheets.
To add misery to all this, the tokens systems is not helping the back markers at all as clearly demonstrated by Honda and Renault who brought their 11 token applied engine having gained 0.1s over the old one. Atleast that's the advantage Ricciardo had over Kvyat.:Frustrati

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-ctyscyfwiaecz3r.jpg

However, all is not lost as the McLaren drivers were showing their fine sense of humor as they climbed onto the podium to amuse themselves.clap: Looks like another PU change for ALO as the coolant temp. was found to be rising on his replaced PU during Quali and he pulled over without completing his timed lap to enjoy the sunshine sitting on a marshal's chair.

Here's the provisional starting grid after the penalties are applied.

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-prov-grid.jpg

Coolant temperature of the car or Alonso?
He was the one literally chilling looking over the lake. :) That was a good quali, and I can't believe how little Lewis was pipped by!

Here's to another win at the most symbolic track, I believe, for hammer time!!

Thanks to the resident F1 reporter for bringing in the stats and a very good coverage from Brazil:-)

The most interesting thing about this race is the pace of Nico rosberg. He has shown incredible pace both here and Mexico. This is something very strange as he was always lacking pace before. Analysts say that it was the pressure that got him before and now he is at ease doing what he does best - driving.

Brazilian race is going to be a very interesting one. Hamilton has never won here, the home GP of his hero Senna. The race for the second position in the championship is still on which will bring in Vettel into the race.

Brazil is always famous for its weather. Rain / incidents or safety car can bring in Redbull also to the equation along with Williams.

I personally wish Riccardo to win this race and the Mclaren team to finish in the first 8.

The results - 5th consecutive pole for Nico clap:

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-capture.png

In case you missed it, everyone is having a field day with Alonso relaxing on the chair. Check it out on Twitter rl:

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-1.png

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-2.png

Name:  3.PNG
Views: 758
Size:  662.6 KB

Name:  4.PNG
Views: 848
Size:  595.8 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by rejoycjohn (Post 3848057)

The most interesting thing about this race is the pace of Nico rosberg. He has shown incredible pace both here and Mexico. This is something very strange as he was always lacking pace before. Analysts say that it was the pressure that got him before and now he is at ease doing what he does best - driving.

Brazilian race is going to be a very interesting one. Hamilton has never won here, the home GP of his hero Senna. The race for the second position in the championship is still on which will bring in Vettel into the race.

Brazil is always famous for its weather. Rain / incidents or safety car can bring in Redbull also to the equation along with Williams.

I personally wish Riccardo to win this race and the Mclaren team to finish in the first 8.

The first corner might decide the outcome of the race if weather doesn't play its part I am afraid.

After #PlacesAlonsoWouldRatherBe, a good finish for McLaren would indeed be nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3848099)

In case you missed it, everyone is having a field day with Alonso relaxing on the chair. Check it out on Twitter rl:

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-ct2kzqkusaaubls.jpg

This one here sums up the 2015 McLaren season.:D
Twitter is going crazy with #PlacesAlonsoWouldRatherBe

Apart from the promising pace from Ferrari and Max's heroics, nothing much to remember.
The race seems to have been decided after the first corner itself and the rain decided to stay away.

2015 Formula 1 Brazilian GP - São Paulo-result.jpg

What a boring race - Formula Yawn. Agreed with jfxavier...except for a little excitement here & there, an uneventful race otherwise. Was hoping for rain to spice things up a bit, but that wasn't to be.

Nico drove a flawless race and deserved the win. Hamilton, on the other hand, looked rattled. Even his body language on the podium was unfitting of someone who just won the championship. The tension between them was obvious, especially next to cool & smiling Vettel :).

Nico's radio comment 'I don’t want to talk anymore' was a classic rl:.

My takeaways from this race.

Teams are focusing solely on 2016 as usual for a "not so closely fought" championship. The items being tested on the cars are a testimony.
Without the weather disrupting the status quo, nothing seems to happen in F1 now a days. Hope the Mercedes domination is challenged at the earliest.
Only the long term fans/ followers of the sport will be interested in how the other teams are turning it around, the general motor sport fans will find it boring for sure.
Lack of close racing due to the over-dependence on the front wing to generate down force was evident from the 10 laps Lewis was in DRS of Roseberg and challenging for the lead unsuccessfully. New aero rules cannot come any quicker.
Hamilton seems to be stressed out. Dont know why? The slight chance of a race at the end for P1 was ruined when he flat spotted his tyres with a big lockup getting past Grosjean. His behaviors also seem strange off late. Too much partying maybe?
Both McLarens finishing a race is considered to be a good job this year.:uncontrol I hope that Honda turns things around as the McLaren keep saying and wipe the floor with the german PUs next year.stupid:
Seriously, that's the only thing that can change the fortunes of this "Formula Yawn" that's going on. But the wait through the winter will be killing for a McLaren fan. But through the history, apart from a couple of seasons, McLaren always had a car that's "in the zone" and relied on some aggressive inspired drive from their drivers to get the job done. Hope the history repeats itself soon for ALO to get even after all the insults and sarcasm that's being thrown at them.

Honestly, what a BORING race! :Frustrati
Nico ‘Britney’ Rosberg seems to be driving well when he’s not under pressure.

:OT
Just before the drivers got onto the podium and were waiting in the green room, as soon as Vettel’s name was announced he took his helmet and ran onto the podium. And a guy in a suit tried to stop him. What was that all about?

Quite a boring race, made even more so by utterly strange coverage!
I saw it till the 60th lap, post which the poor camera work, coupled with loss of sound on Tatasky led me to switch it off. The commentary is focussing on 1&2, the shots are on perez. For 10 whole minutes? Eventually, the commentators had to mention that if we want to see the battle they're talking about, press the red button! :)

Lewis's frustration is more from not being able to emulate senna, as well as the rigid strategy that Mercedes keeps pushing on both drivers.
Ah well, hopefully, alonso and button will be well rested by next year and maybe Mclaren back in the mix if they get rid of the iDTec they seem to be using currently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a*ed (Post 3848574)
Just before the drivers got onto the podium and were waiting in the green room, as soon as Vettel’s name was announced he took his helmet and ran onto the podium. And a guy in a suit tried to stop him. What was that all about?

I don't think drivers are permitted to take their helmet to the podium?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 3848590)
coupled with loss of sound on Tatasky led me to switch it off.

The sound had gone (temporarily) on HD only. It was there in the regular (non-HD) coverage.

F1 loses 175 million viewers over 6 years (source) and I'm sure the number has only climbed since the news article was published. Hardly surprising :Frustrati. After watching the MotoGP finale, I feel terrible about missing out on its season. Will watch next year.