Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 10:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

CS Santosh confirms participation in Dakar 2016! EDIT: Retired from race

Gruelling, challenging and the ultimate endurance test - the 2016 Dakar Rally is on its way and it looks like India's ace rider CS Santosh is addicted to the challenge. CS Santosh is the only Indian to participate and successfully complete the daunting race, and will be returning for next year's rally which will be held from 3rd – 16th January, 2016. The 2016 Dakar starts from Buenos Aires and finishes in Rosario.

Over 150 moto riders will come under the starter’s orders on the departure ramp at Buenos Aires. CS Santosh has been allocated competition number 56 for the 2016 Dakar and he will be racing with the Suzuki 450 Rally.

The rally will run over a total distance of over 9,000 kms, out of which over 4,500 km will mark the 13 competitive stages that will be run against the clock. Making matters even more challenging are the two marathon stages in which no outside mechanical assistance will be allowed at the end of the day. Simply put, after a taxing day of riding, the competitors will have to service and repair their bikes by themselves.

The 2016 Dakar will spend two nights above 3,200 metres (approx 11,000 feet). On the 5th competitive section, riders will have to deal with several high passes on their way to Bolivia, including a crossing at 4,600 metres (over 15,000 feet), which will be the highest point of the Dakar story in South America so far. Peru will not feature on the agenda for the 2016 Dakar, and the organizers of the rally have introduced several new sections that will pose severe navigational challenges for the riders, who are first out on the tracks ahead of the quads, cars and trucks.

Links:

- CS Santosh rider sheet

- Dakar 2016 detailed route info

- Dakar 2016 competitor list

- Dakar history

CS Santosh confirms participation in Dakar 2016! EDIT: Retired from race-1.jpg

CS Santosh confirms participation in Dakar 2016! EDIT: Retired from race-2.jpg

CS Santosh confirms participation in Dakar 2016! EDIT: Retired from race-3.jpg

CS Santosh confirms participation in Dakar 2016! EDIT: Retired from race-4.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 10th December 2015 at 12:13.
Tushar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 11:19   #2
BHPian

re: CS Santosh confirms participation in Dakar 2016! EDIT: Retired from race

Dear Tushar,

Thanks for this update.
I did not know this.

My best wishes to C.S. Santosh.

Will there be a regular update on the status - maybe daily?

Girish Mahajan
Old 9th December 2015, 12:06   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lots of pics & information on CS Santosh's 2015 Dakar performance in this thread.
Old 9th December 2015, 12:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

I went to hear him speak earlier this year. He really struggled to get sponsorship and resources ffor his maiden event. Add to that the the true grit required, his first result was commendable. I wish him all the best on this run
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 14:02   #5
BHPian

Does anyone know if he will be running on CEAT tyres during the Dakar?
Old 11th December 2015, 11:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

CS Santosh is our Indian rider community's pride. Its a national shame that he struggled to get sponsors for this rally of epic proportions. The Dakar rally is in itself a legend and notoriously dangerous and gruelling. It tests the best of the riders to the last of their limits and beyond both mental and physical.

I was closely following his progress during the last years' Dakar Rally. He put up a good fight and completed the rally(despite fracturing his toe and experiencing excruciating pain) considering he was a first time participant. He was riding the KTM last year and looks like has switched to Suzuki this year. I am not too sure about Suzuki's prowess in the Dakar rally compared to multiple times winner KTM and to an extent Honda. But as they say the Rider matters too so I hope CS Santosh brings himself among the top 10 this year and hopefully stays safe and secure during the rally course. I wish him all the very best and will be cheering for him.

CS Santosh make us proud.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 11th December 2015 at 11:15.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 16:06   #7
BANNED

I wish CS Santosh ALL THE BEST.

I also wish him to reach the top in Competitors List at DAKAR and make every INDIAN living anywhere in the world PROUD.

Let us all pray for his success and cheer him from our place wherever we are.
Old 12th December 2015, 09:51   #8
BHPian

This is good news. I was reading in an auto magazine a month back that he may not participate since he couldn't get sponsors. Now I am really glad that he is there... I could see only Red Bull in his helmet. Let us wish him all the best. His finish last year was really commendable for a first time participant.
Old 20th December 2015, 11:55   #9
BHPian

Dakar 2016

Set to start in another 15 days or so, who are you betting on?

CS Santosh in Bikes will be nice to watch for his 2nd year and also on a Suzuki this time.

Loeb for this first time, wonder what he will do?

Usual suspects - Laia Sanz, Toby Price, Al-attiyah, Joan Barreda, Rafal Sonnik, Stepphane Peterhansel, El Matador, Al Raji (What a run last year!!), Robby Gordon, Mikko Hirrvonen, Cyril Despres, Prokop (another WRC driver)
Old 21st December 2015, 05:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dakar 2016

Really hoping Santosh can do a top 10 finish...Dakar is not just about raw speed and hopefully he has a good crew that can bring him up to speed on what it takes to conquer it

Loeb is having some fun it looks like dabbling with touring cars, hill climbs and now this. I think he will do well given his rally experience but dont see him as a threat for podium finish
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:57   #11
BHPian

Re: Dakar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Really hoping Santosh can do a top 10 finish...Dakar is not just about raw speed and hopefully he has a good crew that can bring him up to speed on what it takes to conquer it

Loeb is having some fun it looks like dabbling with touring cars, hill climbs and now this. I think he will do well given his rally experience but dont see him as a threat for podium finish
CSS also has it tough, he is on the Zuki this time and not the KTM.
Old 5th January 2016, 11:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Dakar Rally 2016 has started and there are many surprises this year. But first about our very own fellow countryman CS Santosh. He is currently on 95th position riding a Suzuki this time. The first stage of the rally was cancelled due to bad weather. WRC Legend Sebastian Loeb surprised everyone by winning the stage on his debut driving a Peugeot beating fellow countryman and team mate who is none other than Monsieur Dakar Stephane Peterhansel. Another WRC Champ Mikko Hirvonen also surprised everyone by coming 4th on his debut in the current stage. While Giniel De Villers as cool as ice is on third position driving the ever reliable Toyota. As a fellow Mitsubishi Motors enthusiast its sad to see no Mitsubishi cars in the top 10 position as the stage progresses. American bad boy Robby Gordon is on 20th position driving a custom car named Gordini built by his own racing team.

Another surprise was the legendary motorcycle rider and 5 time winner Marc Coma announcing his retirement from the Dakar rally as a rider. He now holds the position of a sporting director for the Rally. Toby Price the young Australian riding the KTM surprised everyone during last years' Dakar Rally by standing third on his debut. He is currently leading the stage in motorcycle category.

Coming to the trucks the Europeans are leading with MAN, Iveco and Tatra dominating the top 5 positions. My favourite the Russians aren't far behind in their multiple time winning truck Kamaz. I hope them Russians catch up and regain their top position.

Looking at the quads Yamaha is all over the place leading all the top 10 positions. Honda and Can-am are other manufacturers who are in the quad category.

Let's hope CS Santosh continues to ride safely and move up the positions, as there are lots of stages which are remaining and can tilt the balance.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to add this, another Indian connection team Sherco TVS is on third position in the current stage. The rider is Alain Duclos. His fellow team mate Pedrero Garcia is riding on 10th position on his Sherco TVS. Another team mate rider named Vayssade is on 25th position riding Sherco TVS. Way to go TVS!!.

I must add this KTM in the motorcycle is nearly invincible but is challenged very strongly by Husqvarna(rider Ruben Faria) and Honda(rider Joan Barreda Bort). Like they say it is not just the bike but also the rider that matters.

(Mods sorry for back to back posts kindly merge)
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 19:53   #14
BHPian

What a battle between Loeb and Nasser....This is going to be an epic Dakar edition
Old 7th January 2016, 09:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks like CS santhosh's journey might be over.
http://m.overdrive.in/news/cs-santos...of-dakar-2016/
sammyboy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks