Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2016, 02:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Formula 1 Spanish GP: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya

My view is that the gap Hamilton went for was not there. It would only have existed if Nico went to his left to let him in. The moment he jinked to his right, Lewis was left with nothing else to do but go onto the grass or crash into Nico. I agree with Lauda that Hamilton was at fault because he went for a gap that probably wasn't there and essentially to pass there would require Nico to move over and make room for him. Admittedly if Nico had enough speed (he was in the wrong mode so was slower) he would have managed to get away from Lewis's spinning car and while Lewis may or may not have had a crash, Nico would have been safe.

At the end of it, full credit to Max for a brilliant drive and keeping at bay Kimi, Vettel and Ricciardo. He is a kid that shows great potential for the future
Old 17th May 2016, 07:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
After looking at the replay footage ten times over, i am of the same opinion as Lauda. The gap there was simply non existent once Rosberg started to cut him short. He should have backed out that very instant.
But he didn't, and as a result he went into the grass and completely lost control and crashed into his teammate. What a waste!
Rosberg goofed up the STRAT setting on his car (drivers are no longer given instructions over radio), lost a lot of engine power and crucial speed, got distracted correcting it, defended late and aggressively. Rosberg' wrong engine mode that triggered the crash.

Hamilton found Rosberg to be slow, out of line and with a gap for picking, and he went for it quite decisively.

That's what happened. And both were entitled to do what they did. So, its best to call that a racing incident.

We are on a F1 race thread and not the 'Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em' thread for heaven's sake.
deetjohn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 09:20   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

A nice video analysis here,

2016 Formula 1 Spanish GP: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya-snap2.jpg
Old 17th May 2016, 10:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Nice analysis.
This is why we road car drivers are not allowed to use cellphones while driving!

On a serious note, as soon as he realised to was de rating, Nico began moving to the inside (before Lewis had decided) to defend (just like Lewis did on the first corner).

No wonder the Mercedes bosses decided quite early that it was a pure racing incident.
Old 17th May 2016, 10:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Hamilton found Rosberg to be slow, out of line and with a gap for picking, and he went for it quite decisively.

That's what happened. And both were entitled to do what they did. So, its best to call that a racing incident.

We are on a F1 race thread and not the 'Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em' thread for heaven's sake.
No one is complaining why Hamilton went for the move. People are complaining here about what he did, once he was 'into' the move.
If Hamilton would have backed out at the very instant he saw Rosberg closing the gap, he could have easily avoided the nasty collision and could have had a go in the next straight. But he didn't.
Anything which happens in a race is a racing incident by this logic.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 11:12   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
No one is complaining why Hamilton went for the move. People are complaining here about what he did, once he was 'into' the move.
If Hamilton would have backed out at the very instant he saw Rosberg closing the gap, he could have easily avoided the nasty collision and could have had a go in the next straight. But he didn't.
Anything which happens in a race is a racing incident by this logic.
One, that collision could not be avoided. The collision that COULD have been avoided was avoided, ie, the one that would have happened if Lewis had not gone onto the grass.
What the stewards said: “Once on the grass on the side of the track Car 44 [Hamilton] was no longer in control of the situation.”

Rosberg was entitled to defend as much as Lewis was entitled to attack owing the deficit that Rosberg was flashing to all the world. Its a pity it went south for both, but hey, Racing Incident!
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 11:57   #67
BHPian

Though it was deemed a racing incident, I would say Hamilton could have avoided the collision. He needed those points badly.

I think its going to boil down to mind games in the remaining races.

Rosberg seemed agitated in the post race interviews. Hamilton on the other hand seemed quite upbeat and was looking forward to Monaco. When it comes to mind games and raw speed Hamilton is a class apart from Rosberg.

Finally, a big congrats to Max Verstappen. A lot has been said about this young lad, he seems to have all ingredients needed to win a WDC.
vasanthsm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:11   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccanico View Post
I hope you are being sarcastic!
Totally. Some people missed that. Should have put a * next to my post. Something that says "conditions apply".

The commentator (and I expected it) at once said, Nico this, Nico that, Hamilton was correct, it was all Nico's fault etc. Aargh, these Brit commentators!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 13:05   #69
BHPian

Watched the full race and it was entertaining. I am a Hamilton Fan since 2008 and I am his Fan because of how he races.

Rosberg was slow due to wrong engine mode and Hamilton was catching up fast. Hamilton decided to fill in the gap which was there at that time. Rosberg decided to close the gap but by that time Hamilton had gathered enough momentum and Rosberg had started slowing down for the corner. Hamilton avoided rear ending Rosberg went on to the grass and from there on he was just a spectator.

On a similar kind of move in last few laps when Riccardo tried to out break and overtake Vettel in the first corner after the long straight, he went overboard but Vettel made space and ran wide in order to avoid collision.

Both according to me were racing incidents only difference being EGO got better of both the Mercedes drivers.

I expect Hamilton to be equally aggressive for rest of the season and I hope he is. We need some entertainment because F1 is getting boring with Mercedes domination.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:54   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Aargh, these Brit commentators!
I know right? They are a bit partial towards Hamilton. I guess it is also due to the frustrating fact that McLaren have not had a good season since ages.
Old 18th May 2016, 09:25   #71
BHPian

If you see the actual racing you will get an idea on how much Rosberg tried to defend. It is definitely not entirely Hamilton fault.

2016 Formula 1 Spanish GP: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya-cil5i7cwkaarybs.jpg
Pic from Twitter
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 11:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
If you see the actual racing you will get an idea on how much Rosberg tried to defend.
One such racing line change, in one direction is allowed while defending position. However, Multiple moves in arbitrary directions are not allowed.
What Rosberg did was entirely within the rules.

From F1 official website:
A skilful driver can also hold off an opponent by adopting a defensive yet legal driving style. Typically this means reducing the angle available for the car behind to use going into corners where there is a substantial risk of being passed. Providing that the driver ahead only changes his line once going into a corner (not deliberately attempting to block the car behind) this is a perfectly justifiable form of racing.

Link:
https://www.formula1.com/content/fom...d_the_DRS.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks