Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2017, 00:12   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017

This video shows how much faster the 2017 cars are in comparison to the 2016 cars.

Hoping for a good show from the Prancing Horse this time around. Excited to

Forza Ferrari!
ashwin.terminat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 13:30   #227
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
This video shows how much faster the 2017 cars are in comparison to the 2016 cars......
Hoping for a good show from the Prancing Horse this time around. Excited to

Forza Ferrari!
Sometimes I wonder where would the old 1.5 l turbo engines be today. 2000 horses or more! remember who pioneered them, Renault, and the technology was taken to its zenith by Honda & BMW.
Old 13th March 2017, 20:17   #228
Senior - BHPian

What I dont get is how can Honda not have state of the art dynos to identify the basic issues with the PU. Especially after the disastrous 2015 season that caused all that embarrassment.
Old 14th March 2017, 12:58   #229
Senior - BHPian

Season starts in just 11 days. Like Deetjohn I am all excited looking at Ferrari's times but keeping my predictions in check. The car looks good, its pretty innovative around the side-pod area especially. I read somewhere that Ferrari have found a loophole which every team is now working overtime to get a similar solution.

It would be totally unreal if Seb and Kimi lock up the front row at Albert Park next weekend. I would be quite happy if Ferrari at the very least improve on Saturdays. I have forgotten the time when the red cars locked up the front row or even had pole.

I just cant comprehend whats happening to Honda. 3 years now and they just cant make a reliable engine? My sympathies with Alonso. The least lucky of them all.
Old 14th March 2017, 18:40   #230
Senior - BHPian

Never saw this coming.

Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017-1489495707934.jpg

Quote:
Force India have announced that they will switch to a pink colour scheme from the start of the 2017 season after securing a major new sponsor.
Good news nonetheless as they secured a title sponsor.

Source
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 20:20   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Never saw this coming.

Good news nonetheless as they secured a title sponsor.

Source
Perez and Ocon should look stunning in pink , but what gives me the shudders is Vijay Mallya in the paddock in team overalls.

Pink Baron!

But pink was expected once it was clear that BWT would be sponsoring Force India. The new paint scheme reminds me of Bret "The Hitman" Hart.
sun_king is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 21:53   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good for them. Reinforces the fact that in this economic scenario, sponsors willing to pay millions just for a sticker on the car are rare.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 11:59   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
What I dont get is how can Honda not have state of the art dynos to identify the basic issues with the PU. Especially after the disastrous 2015 season that caused all that embarrassment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I just cant comprehend whats happening to Honda. 3 years now and they just cant make a reliable engine? My sympathies with Alonso. The least lucky of them all.
2017 will be the first Honda PU with TJI (Turbulent Jet Ignition).
The 2015 & 16 debacle has more to do with rushing to homologate a PU for 2015 when they were clearly not ready, possibly at the insistence of McLaren/ Ron. The token restrictions ensured that they could not make a recovery from that mess.

Here is a link to one of the papers published on some of the challenges a TJI concept faces.
This one is about the combustion instabilities of a typical TJI ultra lean burn engine.

Prechamber Hot Jet Ignition of Ultra-Lean H2-Air Mixtures Effect of Supersonic Jets and Combustion I

This season looks like going to be having one pit stop less on an average for most races.

Name:  optimal_strats_20171.png
Views: 566
Size:  40.3 KB

The tyre wear is more predictable & consistent.

Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017-2017_2016_2010_tyres.png

Here is the interesting article based on the pre-season tests from where those images come.

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2017...ason-analysis/

Last edited by jfxavier : 15th March 2017 at 12:02.
jfxavier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 19:05   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
2017 will be the first Honda PU with TJI (Turbulent Jet Ignition).
The 2015 & 16 debacle has more to do with rushing to homologate a PU for 2015 when they were clearly not ready, possibly at the insistence of McLaren/ Ron. The token restrictions ensured that they could not make a recovery from that mess.

This season looks like going to be having one pit stop less on an average for most races.
Phenomenal research jfxavier. I read about Ferrari having a very unique fuel injection system for 2017 too. You have any details on that?
Old 15th March 2017, 19:58   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Phenomenal research jfxavier. I read about Ferrari having a very unique fuel injection system for 2017 too. You have any details on that?
This concept of duel anchor injectors have been around for some time, albeit in the design papers.

Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017-double_anchor580x640.jpg

This is part of a fuel injection system demonstrated by Delphi in 2001.
In this image you can see two sets of coils (marked in red), two springs of different diameter (yellow) and two anchors (marked in green) responsible for pulling the needle valve of the injector.
Analysing the above image you can see that the injector can be opened in three different ways. Activation of the lower set of coils will raise the bottom of the anchor and start the injection by slightly lifting the needle valve (blue). Activation of the upper pair of coils will raise the valve to 2/3 of the full amount. If both pairs will work together, the piston rises to the maximum.
Similar technology could be used in conjunction with TJI to allow different quantity and spray pattern to the main and pre-chambers.
Obviously the above-described arrangement is a big simplification of a very advanced technology possibly allowing for multiple intermediate stages for the fuel valves giving better control over the process of fuel injection. Also, Piezo-electric fuel injectors are used in F1 and not solenoid coil operated ones like in the illustration. That in itself makes the system much more flexible.
Constructing or getting the fuel injector with double anchor should not be a problem, but its implementation requires redesign of the combustion chamber and optimization around the new combustion process.

Last edited by jfxavier : 15th March 2017 at 20:04.
jfxavier is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 10:09   #236
BHPian

As expected, Paddy Lowe has joined Williams as chief technical officer.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...l-officer.html

In other news, McLaren have allegedly made contact with Mercedes for switching the PU's considering the poor show by Honda in pre-season testing. Though it would be difficult for them to get out of the Honda contract immediately, it might just be a tactic to pressurize Honda to sort out its issues soon.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39290908

Eric Boullier thinks McLaren could be winning races this season, if fitted with Mercedes engines.

http://en.as.com/en/2017/03/14/other...92_582825.html

With only a week left to start of season, I am keenly looking forward to, more exciting and closely fought races between different teams for the podium

Last edited by Makin Rulesz : 17th March 2017 at 10:11.
Old 18th March 2017, 04:35   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Eric Boullier thinks McLaren could be winning races this season, if fitted with Mercedes engines.
As token system is no longer in Honda's way, I can see them occupying a step on the podium this season at least once.

A tall claim, I know, and Mclaren is pushing all the buttons to make their intentions clear. Just rewind 3 years back, who stood on the podium in Melbourne after having a disastrous pre-season testing.
Old 18th March 2017, 11:49   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As token system is no longer in Honda's way, I can see them occupying a step on the podium this season at least once.

A tall claim, I know, and Mclaren is pushing all the buttons to make their intentions clear. Just rewind 3 years back, who stood on the podium in Melbourne after having a disastrous pre-season testing.
Even without the token system, I dont believe they know what they are doing (in F1 terms). Their previous exposure of building an engine (as against a complete PU now) is no indication of the resources required.

Being competitive in F1, operating outside Motorsport valley in the UK is a monumental task, just ask Ferrari.
Honda have clearly been naive to the nature of the beast.

Shocking that the Hasegawa can make statements like he is surprised at the power gains made over last year by the other manufacturers. Did he expect them to just go into hibernation over the past 6-9 months?

Last edited by Hatari : 18th March 2017 at 11:57.
Old 18th March 2017, 13:17   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
As expected, Paddy Lowe has joined Williams as chief technical officer.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...l-officer.html

In other news, McLaren have allegedly made contact with Mercedes for switching the PU's considering the poor show by Honda in pre-season testing. Though it would be difficult for them to get out of the Honda contract immediately, it might just be a tactic to pressurize Honda to sort out its issues soon.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39290908

http://en.as.com/en/2017/03/14/other...92_582825.html

With only a week left to start of season, I am keenly looking forward to, more exciting and closely fought races between different teams for the podium
Quote:

Quote:
Even without the token system, I dont believe they know what they are doing (in F1 terms). Their previous exposure of building an engine (as against a complete PU now) is no indication of the resources required.

Being competitive in F1, operating outside Motorsport valley in the UK is a monumental task, just ask Ferrari.
Honda have clearly been naive to the nature of the beast.

Shocking that the Hasegawa can make statements like he is surprised at the power gains made over last year by the other manufacturers. Did he expect them to just go into hibernation over the past 6-9 months?
The first few races could be painful to watch for McLaren fans.
Switching PUs in 2017 is not a good idea practically. Best is to watch how Honda responds after this fiasco and then decide.
Nobody should underestimate Honda's capacity to get back after these debacles. It will be indeed a shame if the largest manufacturer of engines in the world cannot solve these problems whatever they may be.

Some might even argue that McLaren needs to keep more patience looking at what happened after teaming up with Mercedes in 1995 in an era of straightforward NA engines.

1995 without a win.
1996 without a win.
1997 4th in the constructor's championship.
1998 won the championship.

- 1998 was McLaren's last constructor's championship... despite 15 more years with Mercedes engines. Although 2007 was something else.

Last edited by jfxavier : 18th March 2017 at 13:19.
Old 18th March 2017, 16:57   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even without the token system, I dont believe they know what they are doing (in F1 terms).
Ahem, Really.

Lets wait and watch, shall we. They will get better as season progress. A podium or two, even better. The season is long, a lot can happen in between don't conclude too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Switching PUs in 2017 is not a good idea practically.
Even I think so, bluff from Mclaren. They are trying to make their point very clear, though. They have been patient so far.

How many engines do Honda need for Melbourne?
How many races before they use the whole allocation for the season?

Lets do a poll

Last edited by ecenandu : 18th March 2017 at 17:05.

Most Viewed