Team-BHP - Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/177898-formula-1-2016-british-grand-prix-silverstone.html)

Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone-title.png

After the action packed race ending at Austria, it’s straight on to the home race for 7 of the F1 teams - British Grand Prix at Silverstone which had the honour of hosting the first round of the Formula One Championship in 1950.
McLaren (Woking), Williams (Grove), and Manor (Banbury), Mercedes (Brackley), Red Bull (Milton Keynes), Renault (Enstone) and Force India (Silverstone) are practically based in Britain. In addition, American Haas also have a base in Banbury, and Italian Torro Rosso have their wind tunnel in Bicester.

Timings in IST:

Name:  timing.png
Views: 1816
Size:  21.6 KB

CIRCUIT:

Silverstone features one of the longer laps on the calendar, at just under 5.9 km. This is a high speed track, with plenty of fast corners that feed into each other, meaning any error can see a driver struggle for momentum over the lap. With the cars spending a large portion of the lap on full throttle the track is tough on the power units, and conversely very easy on the brakes. Getting the carbon discs up to temperature at the end of the Hangar Straight especially, after 40s of flat-out running, is not easy. However Silverstone does not favour horsepower over downforce to the extent seen at the power tracks. Drivers will require a car that is fast in a straight line – but also one with a strong aerodynamic package to cope with the high-speed corners and swift changes of direction. The centrepiece of the lap tests out both: in between the Luffield and Stowe corners, cars will be at full throttle (or close to it) for around 40s in qualifying, taking in the high-speed Copse corner and the famous Maggotts-Becketts-Chapel sweepers.

Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone-circuit.jpg

Circuit length : 5.891km/3.660 miles

Distance to Turn One : 420m/0.261 miles

Longest straight : Hangar Straight, 780m on the approach to Turn 15

Top speed: 320km/h/199mph, on the approach to Turn 15

Pitlane length : 489m/0.304 miles, the longest of the season. Estimated time loss 23s

Full throttle : 66 per cent

DRS zones : Two, on the approaches to Turns Six and 15

Fastest corner : 290km/h (180mph), Turn 10

Slowest corner : 90km/h (56mph), Turn Four

Fuel consumption : 2.5kg per lap (approx.), which is high

ERS demands : Medium.

Brake wear : Medium.

Gear changes : 48 per lap/2,496 per race

Race distance : 52 laps (full world championship points will be awarded after 75 percent distance/39 laps)

Safety Car likelihood : Low, due to the large run-off areas.

Tyres :

• Silverstone is one of the circuits that take the most lateral energy out of the tyres all year.
• With high levels of downforce pushing onto the cars, the tyres face forces from all directions.
• Weather is notoriously unpredictable: there can be bright sunshine or torrential rain.
• At least two pit stops per car are expected, due to high levels of tyre wear and degradation.
• The asphalt offers high levels of grip, which works the surface of the tyre even harder.

Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone-7911_greatbritainselectedsetsperdriveren.jpg

PAUL HEMBERY, PIRELLI MOTORSPORT DIRECTOR:
“With the majority of teams choosing mostly the softest compound available – a consistent trend we have seen all year – it’s clear that the intention of many drivers is to run quite an aggressive strategy, which on a track like Silverstone could result in multiple pit stops. As last year showed, the weather is also a typically British variable, which means that we are likely to be in for an unpredictable race”.

2015 winner : Lewis Hamilton, 52 laps, 1:31:27.729s

2015 pole position : Lewis Hamilton, 1m32.248s

2015 fastest lap : Lewis Hamilton, 1m37.093s (lap 29)

What to expect in 2016?

Will it be Hammertime this year as well? It will be hard to look past Mercedes here, given a clean run we could expect to see Hamilton and Rosberg running well clear of the field. The internal war within Mercedes will still be raging into the British Grand Prix weekend, possibly with ramifications for the battle at the front. If the two drivers find themselves anywhere close together in the dying moments on Sunday, will they follow Mercedes management’s rules of engagement?
Williams have shown well here over the last few seasons, and will be hoping to recapture that form and put their disappointing weekend in Austria behind them hoping to be in the right place if the Mercedes duo are hit by misfortune (or each other).
Red Bull have made great strides this year, and will be encouraged by their performance in Austria and could well play a spoiler role, while Ferrari are running out of chances to unlock the potential they believe they have in their 2016 challenger.

Weather :

The first noteworthy rain is expected to arrive from the south-west in the early hours of Friday morning and potentially last until around the start of the first practice session. There should be no further rain on Friday, giving the teams a chance to do some more productive work during the second practice session. The sun may even break through later in the day.
Saturday’s conditions look set to be the most challenging so far as a more significant shower will arrive from the same direction and potentially affect both final practice and qualifying. However warm air from the south should keep temperatures reasonably warm and help dry the track out.
On Sunday the temperatures will again push towards 20C but at present it is expected to stay dry for the race.

Testing & Development:

Silverstone is also a key track with regards to in-season developments. In addition to the in-season test planned after the race weekend, the teams are bringing in lots of updates.

Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone-merc-wing.jpg

Eg.: Mercedes has followed Toro Rosso’s lead with its new rear wing for Silverstone, which features the same type of serrated louvres used by the Italian team since the start of the season.

Drivers Championship Standings:
Name:  drivers champ.png
Views: 1905
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  constr champ.png
Views: 1656
Size:  23.0 KB

Sources : FIA Media kit, Teams & Pirelli previews.

Team Previews

Renault

Kevin Magnussen

“It’s one I look forward to. There’s a great atmosphere with all the fans who are always so enthusiastic for the race and you feel all the excitement when you drive in each morning. Unfortunately, there’s no Danish Grand Prix so I do look on this one as being almost a home Grand Prix for me. So many Formula One teams are based within an hour of Silverstone that many other teams and drivers look on it in a similar way so this does give it a special feeling.

“The high speed corners are great, particularly Maggotts and Becketts and you really feel like you’re driving a Formula One car the way it’s meant to be driven. It has a great flow to it and there’s usually a full crowd cheering you on. There are good opportunities to overtake and you never know what surprise the British weather might produce.

“I’ve raced there many times but in particular I had pole, fastest lap and the race win in British Formula Three in 2011 and then a podium and a win in Formula Renault 3.5 in 2012 so those are good memories. I scored points there in Formula One in 2014 so to repeat that this season would make me and the team happy.

“We always head to a race wanting the best result possible. Austria showed that the car isn’t as bad as it has looked in the last few street races where it’s no secret that we struggled. The safety car timing didn’t help us and I wasn’t able to push at the end of that race but in general I think we’re quite well placed looking to Silverstone.”

Jolyon Palmer

“I can’t wait to race in front of my home crowd. I love the track and it’s always a special weekend at Silverstone. The crowd is huge and so passionate even if you’re not British but for a British driver it takes on an extra level.

“It’s certainly the Formula One track that I know the best so I’m hoping that gives me an extra boost along with all the home fan support. There are lots of high speed corners which I really like to drive and a lap has a really good flow to it. I had my first race at Silverstone when I was 15 so I know the place pretty well! I’ve been on the podium in every category I’ve raced in there and I’ve won there too. It’s certainly been a good track for me till now so I hope that continues. I’ve got great memories so far; I’m hoping to create the most memorable memory with a terrific drive into the points there in 2016!

“I’m always focused for any result! It’s true I’m feeling more and more confident from the last few races. I’ve been improving myself but also getting the car more as I want it. If we can find just a little bit more from the car then we can get into Q2 and from there you’re nearer to points potential in the race.”

Nick Chester, technical director

“We have a few small updates for the Grand Prix as it’s back-to-back with Austria which doesn’t leave much time. However there is more coming for the test, where we actually have time to evaluate things properly. Silverstone is a track we know very well and we will be working towards having a nice stable car in the high-speed corners, avoiding too much understeer - which can be tricky at Silverstone – and catering for some of the bumpier areas of the circuit.”

Fred Vasseur, team principal

“In terms of the team it’s a circuit we all know very well. The layout should suit our car better than the street courses which caused us so much trouble earlier in the year, especially after we were able to make solid progress over the weekend in Austria.

“Both our drivers were happier with the way their cars were working for them last time out which is a good sign. We were able to see that over the weekend they were able to deliver very similar performances in the sessions and the race. We should have achieved a better result were it not for the unknown factor of the safety car’s appearance which was exactly what our strategy didn’t need at that time! For Silverstone if we can make good progress over the sessions then a little bit of chance going our way in the race we could be quite well placed to deliver.”

McLaren

Fernando Alonso

“The British Grand Prix is one of the highlights of the year for every driver. The fans are very knowledgeable and very fair, and the circuit is a fantastic high-speed challenge. It’s one of the few places where the drivers feel like they’ve been let off the leash because you can really feel the aerodynamic grip at Silverstone, which makes it very pleasurable to drive.

“This is also the home race of McLaren. A lot of the factory-based staff come to watch us at the track, which is special and it would be fantastic to get a good result for all of them.

“My victories at Silverstone were very special. Both were exciting races and I’ll never forget the reception I received from the crowd when I came onto the podium. It was fantastic and it’s that generosity towards all of the drivers, and not only the British ones, that gives the race such a special atmosphere.

“From a performance point of view, it’s important that we get through the whole weekend cleanly, efficiently and without problems. We’ve had a couple of tricky races, but, through it all, there have been some genuine glimpses of progress.

“For me, I want to make progress through Friday and Saturday, then be able to deliver a performance on Sunday that justifies all our efforts. We can do it, and to be able to turn that corner in front of thousands of McLaren-Honda fans would be a fantastic reward for the whole team.”

Jenson Button

“I’ve been going to Silverstone for almost as long as I can remember. I raced there in karts, in Formula Ford, in Formula Three and, of course, in F1 for the last 16 years. It’s a wonderful track and the British fans are something else. They’ve given me unflinching support during my career, through the good times and the bad, and for that I’m hugely grateful.

“The high-speed corners are great fun, and, whatever your car’s level of competitiveness, you can’t help but smile as you drive through Copse, Maggotts and Becketts because it’s so fast through there. Silverstone is one of my highlights of the year.

“Finishing on the podium at the British Grand Prix is top of my ‘to do’ list in F1. I’ve achieved pretty much everything else that I set out to do in F1, but I’ve never stood on the podium at Silverstone. I really want to do that and it would feel like a victory if I were to achieve it.

“Of course, the result in Austria last week really motivates everybody, and it raises everyone’s expectations, too. It would be lovely to be able to claim that a podium this year might finally be possible, but, being realistic, that won’t be possible this time.

“But I head to Silverstone feeling hugely encouraged by our progress, and just what we can achieve as a team when the variables are thrown into the air and all the teams are left to somewhat improvise: we can do great things.

“It goes without saying that I’ll be giving it everything at Silverstone this weekend.”

Eric Boullier, McLaren-Honda Racing Director

“Silverstone is a very special race, both for the fans and for the people who work in Formula One. The circuit has something for everyone: it has history, it has fast corners and it has a unique atmosphere. It’s a privilege to go racing there.

“And, of course, the British Grand Prix is the first of McLaren-Honda’s two ‘home’ races, along with Suzuka in Japan. We have many great memories of racing at Silverstone, a place where we’ve scored many notable victories over the years.

“This year we do battle with a much improved MP4-31. Jenson’s result in Austria showed that, when everything comes together, we can perform operationally at a high standard; but, equally, the issues that affected Fernando on both Saturday and Sunday show that we still need to raise our game on every front.

“It’s important to remember that we were able to punch above our weight in Austria, but, with so many McLaren-Honda fans in the crowd this weekend, we’ll be doing our best to pull another strong result out of the bag.”

Yusuke Hasegawa, Honda R&D Co Ltd Head of F1 Project & Executive Chief Engineer

"The British Grand Prix needs no introduction as it’s one of the oldest and most iconic races on the F1 calendar. It’s also one of the most challenging races, with a reputation as one of F1's few remaining power circuits. The track is long and flat, and power and fuel hungry, which will no doubt create a fierce midfield battle for us, but I think we’ve learned from both Baku and Austria that we’re definitely progressing forward as a team, and it’s up to us to extract the most out of the car throughout the weekend.

"Silverstone will also mark the first of two home grands prix for the McLaren-Honda team this season, so we’re looking forward to what will be a busy but special weekend. The British fans are some of the most passionate in the world and they’ve always shown Honda great support throughout our years in Formula One.

"It's the fans and their passion that make the British Grand Prix so special, so we hope that we can bring both cars home within the points in front of the home crowd.”

Haas

Romain Grosjean

“It’s a really cool track, especially the fast part through Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel corners. When you have the grip in the car there, you really get the sensation of the g-forces. Everything’s pushing down. You really want to get the first part of the flowing corners right. If you don’t, you just lose a lot of time. When the car is very stable and has good balance, you can go flat out and really push it to the limit. That’s where F1 is at its best.

“I think probably Baku we were flat out for longer periods of time, but Silverstone is a power track as well. You need good power to get a good lap time there. There are a few straight lines and a few overtaking opportunities but, mainly, Silverstone is about the grip of the car through the high-speed corners.

“There are a few spots [to overtake]. On the straights and through the high-speed corners, you have an opportunity if your car is much better balanced than the car in front of you. After turn three or turn four, there’s the long section after the slow-speed corners, and that’s a good opportunity as well. But the thing about Silverstone is really the difference between a well-balanced car and an unbalanced car, that’s where the opportunity lies.

“Silverstone is in the UK, and the UK weather is known to be sometimes rainy, sometimes dry. That plays a part. It can change a lot between qualifying and the race, and then even in the race itself. You can also have a good car in qualifying, but if it’s not quite perfectly balanced for the race, you’ll pay the price. That’s where success lies, and probably why most of the winners didn’t start from pole position.

“I think Silverstone is a track that the team knows very well and it’s in line with Barcelona. We can use the knowledge from Barcelona and use it at Silverstone for the normal baseline setup and, hopefully, get it right from the beginning. You want as much downforce as you can get.”

Esteban Gutierrez

“You approach Turn 1 after the main straight, which is usually flat out and on the limit. You go into Turn 2, which is important to prepare the line for Turn 3. It’s a high-braking corner, pretty slow, but then goes into another hairpin - a very slow-speed corner. After exiting Turn 4, you have Turn 5, which is also flat out, and it’s important to have a good balance and good traction. Approaching Turn 6 is a medium-speed corner and you enter with a lot of speed. Entry is more important than exit. Then you have Turn 7, which is a pretty long corner and pretty challenging for the tyres because you arrive with the tyres warmed up on the surface and you’re trying to get good traction out of there. Then you come into the back straight before Turn 9, which is one of the nicest corners on the circuit. It’s a very high-speed corner and then it starts my favourite section, approaching into the series of corners which is 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. It’s very important to have a good rhythm. You enter with a lot of speed and you can’t lose the line. You want a good exit out of the last corner. Then it’s down another straight. You approach Turn 15, which is a very nice corner, very fast, braking very late and with a lot of lateral while turning into the corner. Then you approach the last part of the track, which is the chicane, and a very long exit after the chicane, which obviously makes traction very challenging.”

Guenther Steiner, team principal

“There will be no changes to the [VF-16’s] aerodynamics. The car will be getting an engine package upgrade, which will be a combination of being more efficient and having better performance. It is quite normal that we get the upgrade a couple of races after Ferrari. We are very happy with that since we don’t have to test it and they get to experience it first and make changes, if needed.”

Williams

Valtteri Bottas

“Silverstone is a special event. It’s a home race for Williams and it’s one of the good tracks for our car. It’s also one of the most enjoyable tracks to drive a Formula One car because of the high-speed nature of the circuit. My favourite part of the track is Becketts, which is a lot of fun because it has a really nice flow to it. The crowd at Silverstone is amazing as well. I’m always impressed by how much support the motorsport fans in the UK give to us.”

Felipe Massa

“Silverstone is the home Grand Prix for the team, which is really special, and it’s truly an amazing track to drive. It’s a circuit with a lot of high-speed corners, so you need to have a very good car in that respect. Typically British, it’s a circuit where the weather changes very quickly! It can be wet, dry, or completely mixed - anything can happen, which we’ve seen many times over the last few years. As Williams’ home Grand Prix, it’s an important place for the team to get a good result, especially as we have so much history there. Plus, it’s one of the oldest races on the calendar, so I’m really looking forward to what will be a special race.”

Pat Symonds, chief technical officer

“Silverstone is another strong circuit for us and even though Austria did not deliver what it promised, there is no reason to think that our home race won’t give us a strong result. The weather in Britain has been quite unpredictable over the last month and may well play a role in the outcome of the weekend ahead. We’re confident that we have overcome the problem that forced Felipe to start from the pit lane and expect both cars to be running the latest front wing, which showed a positive result during testing in Austria. We always look forward to racing at our home circuit, particularly as it gives our factory-based workforce, who contribute so much to the overall performance of the car, the opportunity to see the product of their work race in anger. We’ve enjoyed good performances here over the last couple of years, which also adds to the enjoyment of this challenging track.”

Force India

Nico Hulkenberg

“I’m still feeling disappointed with the result in Austria. When you start on the front row you obviously have big hopes for the race, but things just didn’t work out for us. Fortunately we have Silverstone this week so I can get back in the car and focus on getting a good result.
“The team’s home race is always a busy weekend because our factory is next to the track. It’s one of those special races because the grandstands are full, there’s a buzzing atmosphere and the energy of the fans gives you a real boost. We usually visit one of the campsites and it’s great to meet the fans and have a chat - you always see how much they love the sport.

“I love driving at Silverstone and the circuit is a real challenge. The fast sections are very enjoyable and corners such as Maggots and Becketts are some of the best of the season where you feel the true performance of an F1 car.”

Sergio Perez

“The last race was very exciting, but sadly it was one lap too long for me. I may have lost some points, but there were a lot of positives from my race and I feel confident for Silverstone and the rest of the season.
“Silverstone is one of the best tracks of the year. I think all the drivers say it’s one of their favourites. There is so much history and all the great drivers have raced and won there. For me it’s very important that we keep going back to these historic circuits because they helped make Formula One what it is today.
“Silverstone is a track that really tests aero performance. We’ve made good progress with the car in this area so I think we can be competitive once again. Another big factor for Silverstone is the unpredictable British weather. I remember in 2012 when it rained so much on the Saturday and qualifying had to be delayed, but the fans never lost their enthusiasm. They always help create a great atmosphere.”

Vijay Mallya, team principal

“Leaving Austria empty-handed was very disappointing. We showed good form throughout the weekend, but various factors prevented us from realising our true potential. We’ve understood what went wrong and I’m confident we can bounce back this weekend at Silverstone.
“We shouldn’t let one unlucky race overshadow the great results we have been achieving recently. We’re sitting fifth in the championship and the battle for fourth remains wide open with twelves races still to go. We’ve got some extra performance coming for the VJM09 this weekend and that should help us for the races leading up to the summer break.
“There is no denying that Silverstone is one of the most special races of the whole season. Being so close to our factory, just across the road, means our staff can be close to the action and we enjoy incredible support from our fans. The British Grand Prix is one of the classic races on the calendar and the atmosphere is unique: the supporters are brilliant and knowledgeable; there is a party atmosphere in the campsites and the weekend is a true celebration of our sport.”

Red Bull

Daniel Ricciardo

“I really do love Silverstone, it has always been a track I’ve loved since my early days driving there. I love street circuits, but equally I love high-speed corners and fast circuits and Silverstone has got some of the best on the calendar in Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel. They’re fun and they require a lot of commitment. If you’ve got a good car behind you feel every bit of its force and potential.”

Max Verstappen

“Driving at Silverstone feels a little bit like Spa, it’s old-school but also has newly built facilities and modern run-off areas. When you do a really nice, clean lap there it feels pretty special, especially through the fast sections. It’s a real drivers’ track there. You arrive to the corners with a lot of speed so it’s very difficult to find the right line and the track is always changing so you have to adapt to the circumstances. It’s very challenging.”

Sauber

Marcus Ericsson

“After [Austria] we head directly to Silverstone for the British Grand Prix. With its technical demand, historical heritage and passionate crowds, the so called home of British motor racing is one of the most traditional circuits where we race Formula One cars.”

Felipe Nasr

“Silverstone is a circuit which I enjoy driving on. It’s one of my favourite tracks. Not only, because I have been living in England for more than five years, but also because it’s always nice to come back to where motorsport and its great fans are at home.”

Source : http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/he...ew-quotes.html

Silverstone is a converted airfield and it shows. This is one circuit I have never liked (I have been there at least twice for races). I very much preferred the old one Brands Hatch.

Watching will be a bit of a drag. TataSky are changing channel assignments for the Sports channels tomorrow.

Thursday Drivers Press Conference:
Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone-thurs-pc.jpg
DRIVERS – Lewis HAMILTON (Mercedes), Jenson BUTTON (McLaren), Jolyon PALMER (Renault), Valtteri BOTTAS (Williams), Romain GROSJEAN (Haas), Pascal WEHRLEIN (Manor)

http://www.fia.com/news/f1-2016-brit...ess-conference

As expected, a lot of questions to Lewis about last weekend.
Here are some of them

Quote:

Mercedes bosses met with you and Nico and the team’s issued a statement in the last couple of hours saying “in the last five races there have been three incidents that have cost us over 50 points in the championship. We have therefore strengthened our rules of engagement to include much greater deterrents to contact between the cars. With these in place we will our drivers to manage the situation. Their destiny is in their own hands.” Now clearly, last time out in Austria, the stewards found that the collision was your team-mate’s fault but what’s your comment on the statement today and how will it affect the battle going forward?
LH: In all honesty, I think our destiny has always been in our hands, so it doesn’t realty change anything. We are still able to race, no team rules or team orders or whatever it’s called, which I think is great for the fans, so I think everyone should be excited.

And you’re both completely clear on what it all means and what these “much greater deterrents” are?
LH: Yeah.

Are they scary deterrents?
LH: I should say yes.

You should?
LH: I guess I should say yes.

Q: (Andrew Benson – BBC Sport) Has Toto given you any guidelines about how you can race with Nico, side-by-side now? For example, could you do what you did in Suzuka or Austin last year under whatever new guidelines there might be?
LH: Unfortunately Andrew, everything that’s been said is private and confidential so I’m not allowed to… it’s a good question. We’re still able to race, and obviously in those races the stewards deemed me racing, so we… I… will still race like that.

Q: (Livio Oricchio – GloboEsporte.com) Lewis, if you were a team principal – let’s suppose – in the circumstances you are facing now with Nico, what would be your reaction? You would let free completely? You would give some orientation? Because you also would answer to the president of the company, for example.
LH: Me personally, I think I’d be in a better position because I’m a racing driver, so I know what you would do, and what I would do on a race track and what I would not. Our great engineers and generally individuals who don’t race, it’s difficult to understand the decisions we take when we’re racing at 200mph. So I think I’d be in a better position – but I’m not going to tell you what I would or would not do. I would want them to race, that’s for sure, and I wouldn’t bring in team orders ‘cos racing is why I’m here and why I’d want to be there: to see the guys race. I’d probably be more understanding that, when you have cars that are racing first and second, there are going to be times, out of 60 races together… I don’t know if it’s five collisions we’ve had, I don’t know how many collisions we’ve had, but it’s a small amount compared to the amount of successful races we’ve had and 1-2s we’ve had. So, that’s me.

Q: (Angela Bern – SID) Lewis did the reaction of the crowd last Sunday in Spielberg affect you in any way? They were booing during the victory ceremony. Is that something that affects you, that you are thinking about afterwards?
LH: Fortunately not at all. I don’t know if you saw my Snapchat but I had an amazing time literally... once we got away from the track, leaving, went to a really beautiful place for the last couple of days and had the best two days of the year. And also, someone mentioned to me that potentially that someone... some of the fans didn’t see exactly everything what happened and also a comment from someone that... someone told me that someone said that I had rammed Nico off. I understand that that was the first reaction and whether some of them still feel the same away, it doesn’t really make a big difference. This weekend, the cheers will make those boos so small which is a good thing.

Q: (Mikolaj Sokol – Rzeczpospolita) Lewis, when you’re battling on the track, attacking or defending, what’s the balance between rational thinking, preparation and analysis, and just pure racing instinct and reflex? What goes on in your mind in those split seconds when you have to take a decision the track?
LH: Can you just tell me that again? I’m just struggling to... So when I’m racing for the championship, the balance...
Q: (Mikolaj Sokol – Rzeczpospolita) No, when you’re battling on the track, attacking or defending against any other driver, what’s the proportion between thinking, analysing and preparation, when it comes to every move on the track, and pure racing instinct in those split second decision?
LH: Well, the more of every single one of those, the more instinct, the more preparation and the more... yeah, you want to have it all. Some of us drivers have more instinct, some of us drivers have better preparation, but we’re all working on our skills throughout the years to be the best at overtaking and analysing manoeuvres, so when I’m trying to make a manoeuvre, for sure it’s analysing the weaknesses of the car ahead, analysing your strengths and then planning and executing and in executing it takes a lot of instinct to know... you know, when you go for a manoeuvre, you basically have a calculation, a percentage of your chance of overtaking. Sometimes it’s 100 percent, sometimes it’s less but as racing drivers, we even go for the small percentages and that’s what makes us racing drivers and if we don’t then we’re not racing.

Q: (Ralf Bach – Autobild Motorsport) Lewis, if in future you will get some team orders – you or Nico, you will get some team orders - would you follow them or would you react as angry, two years ago when your team told you to let Nico past but you didn’t?
LH: Oooh, buddy, you’re feeling in a certain way, hunh? Hey, you’ve just got to let it go buddy, that was a couple of years ago. I would, that’s my job, that’s what I get paid to do. That’s what we agreed today, that’s what’s in our agreement. If you go back to 2014 and if you listen to the manuscript, you understand I didn’t say no. I just said I won’t get in the way. He didn’t get close so...

Q: (Frederic Ferret – L’Equipe) Lewis, speaking about you being a team boss. Seeing what Nico did last week, would you understand it as a racing driver?
LH: Didn’t I just answer that question? I’m pretty sure that I did say that if I was a team boss I would be in a better position to understand the situation because I have driven and know what I would do in that situation. I do believe so. I’m pretty sure I said that before.
Q: Would you accept from Nico’s point of view, would you be more understanding of Nico’s point of view?
LH: Any more than I am now? I don’t really understand it, more accepting than what?
Q: (Frederic Ferret – L’Equipe) As you are a racing driver, seeing it as a racing driver, would you understand what he did?
LH: Well, I understand it now and I would understand it then. It doesn’t mean it’s right or wrong. I would have to take an opinion, I would have an opinion whether it was right or wrong but I would understand it just as I do now.

For what is largely a British sport, I wonder who picked out Wimbledon finals day to clash with the British GP? That is pure genius!

Expecting another boring-Merc-front-row-lap-all-but-the-top4 race given it is a dry race day lol:

Whatever may have happened behind closed doors, Lewis is definitely coming with a mental edge.
Arriving at his home circuit with a win over his closest contender at HIS home circuit. It ought to be a hoot!!
Hammertime, yeah!

It should rain mid-race on race day. That should enliven things up a little bit. But like someone said above, I may be on the Wembledon matches more than on Silverstone this weekend.
Good luck SFI, and keep it interesting Silverstone!

Free Practice 1 Results:
Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone-fp1.png

The PU usage numbers after start of this weekend.

Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone-pu-stats.jpg

Lewis is looking at penalties in case of more failures with T/C & MGU-H.
Looks like the Merc customers are running the PU very conservatively.
Force India and Williams looking most reliable.:thumbs up
Honda has come a long way compared to last year.clap:

Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone-fp2.jpg

Looks like Lewis is gaining the upper hand over Nico this weekend as the Merc reliability is being challenged again.
Water leak in Nico's PU this time around.:Frustrati
Honda continues to impress as usual on Fridays.:D
Button managed to get back on track after initial trouble unlike Nico.
RedBull closer to Merc than Ferrari so far.
Will have to see what happens tomorrow.

Friday press Conference:

Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone-friday-pc.jpg

TEAM REPRESENTATIVES – Dave RYAN (Manor), Eric BOULLIER (McLaren), Vijay MALLYA (Force India), Claire WILLIAMS (Williams), Maurizio ARRIVABENE (Ferrari), Toto WOLFF (Mercedes)

Good news for Nico fans.:thumbs up

Quote:

Q: (Marc Surer – Sky Germany) Question for Toto. Is this the race engine that had the problem today?
TW: No, it’s not. It’s a Friday engine.
Some tough questions to VM.

Quote:

Vijay, we haven’t seen you for a while. You said a few weeks ago in an interview that your circumstances mean that your are devoting much more time these days to the Formula One team. Tell us about that?
VM: I am. First of all, I’m absolutely delighted and over the moon to be here in Silverstone. Apart from the fact that Silverstone is a very special race track for Force India, I am personally delighted I’m here, because all the other races I have virtually experienced in this virtual world. But sadly, currently I am unable to travel. That has to go through due legal process. And since I am now spending my time in England – far more regulated, less hectic – I am doing what I am passionate about. And one thing I sure am passionate about is Force India and Formula One and I spend a lot more time, I get a lot of pleasure out of it and the team is delivering results.

Q: (Joe Saward – Auto X) Question for Vijay. You say you’re passionate about the sport, and you are the FIA representative of India. You don’t want to go back to India to solve the problem, what would you say to people who say that you’re doing the sport damage?
VM: Nobody has ever said that I’m doing the sport any damage. Irrespective of where in the world I physically am present, doesn’t affect my contribution in any part of the world. Certainly in India. I have been used to managing a multinational group of companies for the last 30 years and I couldn’t possibly be physically present in each territory in which my business interests operate but yet I was able to guide and contribute and that continues.
VM not so happy with the Mid-Day journalist.:D

Quote:

Q: (Abhishek Takle – Mid-Day) Question to Vijay. You said things have to go through the due legal process but you expect to be able to go to more races this season and as you mean you are able to travel, would you consider returning to India to fight the allegations levelled against you there? Thank you.
VM: First of all, with respect, this is an FIA press conference about motorsport and not about my ability to travel. Having said that, when the due legal process follows its logical course, your questions will be automatically answered. Until then my job is to make sure that Force India continues to perform and closes the gaps to my dear Claire in front.

A session where the stewards were trigger happy with the "delete" button.
Hamilton smashed the lap record set before these hybrid engines came into scene. Showing the real leap in the engine technology these years.
Ferrari well off the pace, Red Bull looking to be closest to challenge Mercedes. If Rosberg has a better start tomorrow, the possibility of both silver arrows coming together on lap 1 looms large, regardless of the new rules from Toto.
It will be an interesting lap if Max manages to mix up things on the first lap.:D

Still wondering if Alonso was Ok for his P8 lap. considering that K-Mag was Ok with his final Q1 lap.stupid:

Formula 1 : 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone-quali.jpg

The shunt was a class apart today. Like a true champion, that last lap. What a lap!
Toto Wolff, though, must be a furrowed brow there today. Both his drivers are next to each other at the the head!

Race results, with Rosberg still under investigation for the breach of radio communication rules.

Good drive by Mercedes and Red Bull drivers under very tricky initial conditions when the race started behind the safety car. Also both Force India drivers are back in points after a horrible race last time. One more poor day for Ferrari and now they seem to be going backwards against the ever improving Red Bull.

1.*Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes-Mercedes 52 laps*1h 34m 55.831s
2.*Nico Rosberg GER Mercedes-Mercedes 6.9s#*
3.*Max Verstappen NED*Red Bull-TAG Heuer 8.2s*
4.*Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull-TAG Heuer 26.2s*
5.*Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari-Ferrari 69.7s*
6.*Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 76.9s*
7.*Nico Hulkenberg GER Force India-Mercedes 77.7s*
8.*Carlos Sainz Jr ESP Toro Rosso-Ferrari 85.8s*
9.*Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari-Ferrari 91.6s*
10.*Daniil Kvyat RUS Toro Rosso-Ferrari 92.6s*

11.*Felipe Massa BRZ Williams-Mercedes +1 lap*
12.*Jenson Button GBR McLaren-Honda +1 lap*
13.*Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda +1 lap*
14.*Valtteri Bottas FIN Williams-Mercedes +1 lap*
15.*Felipe Nasr BRZ Sauber-Ferrari +1 lap*
17.*Esteban Gutierrez*MEX*Haas-Ferrari +1 lap*
16.*Kevin Magnussen DEN Renault-Renault +3 laps*

Not Classified*

Rtd.*Jolyon Palmer GBR Renault-Renault 37 laps competed*
Rtd.*Rio Haryanto INA*MRT-Mercedes 24 laps completed*
Rtd.*Romain Grosjean*FRA*Haas-Ferrari 17 laps completed*
Rtd.*Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber-Ferrari 11 laps completed*
Rtd.*Pascal Wehrlein*GER MRT-Mercedes 6 laps completed

Source: crash.net

Safety car robbed us of a lot of excitement... 2 laps should have been enough.
To dive straight in for Inters is proof enough.

Race promised so much but still feel hard done. Wet track was an ideal start.

Ferrari dont look like they will finish P2 in the Constructors.. tough fight ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz (Post 4012503)
Race results, with Rosberg still under investigation for the breach of radio communication rules.

Nico gets a 10 second penalty, now classified finishing third

http://m.crash.net/f1/news/231999/1/...-to-third.html