Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2016, 17:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Malaysia might bid farewell to Formula 1

Malaysia is planning to drop its Formula 1 race after the current contract expires in 2018. Officials of the Malaysian Grand Prix have claimed that the race is seeing an attendance drop of 10 percent with every passing year. This year's Malaysian GP only saw 55-60 percent attendance at the Sepang International Circuit.

It is not just attendance at the venue which is dropping, TV viewership of F1 races in the country is also at an all-time low. The falling interest in the sport has forced organizers to think about ditching Formula 1 altogether. The hefty sanctioning fee and other expenses involved in organizing the Grand Prix aren’t being economically viable.

This latest update is an added trouble for Formula 1, which is reported to have lost 200 million global television viewers since 2008. Many believe that the sport is now dominated by only a single team, which has led to a decline in audience interest.

Malaysia is one of the oldest venues of F1 races, having been on the calendar since 1999. The Malaysian GP is also funded by F1's title sponsor - Petronas. Formula 1 was recently acquired by US-based Liberty Media. There are hopes that the new owner might ignite the missing spark in one of the world's longest running motorsport series.

Source: New Straits Times

Malaysia might bid farewell to Formula 1-image16x9.img.1536.high.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 26th October 2016 at 17:50.
dZired is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 22:49   #2
BHPian

Re: Malaysia might bid farewell to Formula 1

I remember Malaysia was one of those early new circuit adopters. Until then, there were these old school circuits, Monza, Nurburg ring, Hockenheim, Spa, Barcelona, Silverstone which were all unique in their own ways. Even Indianapolis which was re-introduced later was unique. I remember playing them on my Eidos Interactive F1 PC game. Loved every bit of it. Watching, as well as playing on the comp. Narrow tracks, challenging conditions, first corner crashes, agressive drivers (Remember Vilneueve in his Honda?).
I remember many of those corners too. Eu Rogue, Adelaide, Bus stop in Spa, Wall of champions and many more.

And then, the new kind of circuits started pouring in. Malaysia, The new German, Bahrain, Indian.... These were wide painted roads. Steve Slater called them challenging, many a times. But they probably were never so interesting to drive on, or even half interesting to watch. Watching F1 these days is so attritional. Very predictive. Its like watching one day cricket. Rarely do you see 10 wickets fall. A well drilled procession.

No wonder the interests are so low. Even Steve Slater and his golden voice cannot help.

I don't think a single team winning is the reason behind falling viewership. Now, its pure mechanical superiority, and nothing to do with driver ability, track difficulty or any of million other things.

And anyone remembers the last race they watched without blinking? I haven't for a decade almost.
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 11:42   #3
BHPian

Not just Formula 1, even the MotoGP event for Malaysia for 2017 is marked as tentative i.e. "Subject to the contract".

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2016/0...nounced/211047

Perhaps there are few other 'difficulties' that aren't coming to the fore?

Anyway, if the MotoGP event for Malysia is called off, it would be a real bummer for me, as I had a good mind to attend the Sepang circuit in 2017 to see Rossi in person.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 13:06   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Petronas surely won't be happy and I'm sure they'll do what they can to prevent this from happening. I'll personally feel a bit disappointed because I've been to the Malaysian GP (with BHPians in 2007) and also driven on the track (Formula Renault). Have an attachment to the track in that sense.

While F1 is adding tracks, it's also losing some (including the awesome Indian one). Sad.

F1 is most definitely in trouble and I guess that's what happens when you put such a great sport in the hands of venture capitalists (whose sole aim is a good 'exit'). Bring back the big engines, fuel pitstops & two tyre manufacturers and watch the viewership climb.

Last edited by GTO : 27th October 2016 at 13:17.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 19:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sepang extends MotoGP deal to 2021.

http://www.pitpass.com/57759/Sepang-extends-MotoGP-deal

No surprises here at all. MotoGP may lack the grandeur and pomp of F1, but is infinitely more entertaining. Even Moto2 and Moto3 have some insanely close racing!

F1 on the other hand has been a complete yawn fest lately.

Quote:
Amidst claims that this year's TV viewing figures were the "worst in its history", Razlan Razali, chief executive at the Sepang International Circuit, told the New Strait Times: "Maybe it will do Malaysia good to take a break. I think the product is no longer exciting, it's being dominated by one team."

"F1 ticket sales declining, TV viewership down," tweeted sports minister Khairy Jamaluddin. "Foreign visitors down because can choose Singapore, China, Middle East. Returns are not as big.

"For the record I still think we should host MotoGP," he added, "Cheaper fee and cost, sell-out crowd and we have riders in Moto2 and 3."
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

No big surprise here, Malaysia set to drop F1 after 2018.
Quote:
Tourism and culture minister Nazri Abdul Aziz has told local media that 2018 will be the last the Malaysian Grand Prix.

“The current agreement is from 2016 to 2018. So once that ends, there will be no more (F1),” said Aziz.

“F1 attendance is dropping and there is less attraction now. We are spending RM 300 million a year ($92 million AUD).

“The cost of hosting F1 has increased 10-fold compared to the first time it was held.”
Source: http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/11/22/...calendar-2018/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks