Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2006, 00:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

And now hyundai to enter formula 1 in 2010

Hyundai are planning to enter Formula One in 2010, for the inaugural South Korean Grand Prix.
The Korean car manufacturer are believed to have been talking with Formula One ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone over a potential grid spot since he agreed a deal to stage a race in the south of the Asian country last month.
German magazine Automobilwoche quoted a high-ranking manager of the Korean car-maker as saying: "Talks with Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone are in progress."
Hyundai maintain that they plan to re-enter international rallying in 2008 - potentially with a works team in the World Championship.

Source- www.eurosport.com
Old 24th October 2006, 02:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

OHH MAN HYUNDAI.....wht are they thinking...are they serious...i mean its a joke if huyndai does really enter are they taking MINARDI's place.
Old 24th October 2006, 06:18   #3
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Oh my god! Now in F1 we are gonna have car that will give cost a tenth of the other cars, will give 40 kmpl, will look like it was designed by 5 other F1 teams and will have only 5 cylinders working in a V8 engine. What Next? Bajaj in MotoGP (though I would love to see that)
Old 24th October 2006, 06:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

i think this marks a big step for hyundai. its good to see them in f1. this will surely boost their image.
Old 24th October 2006, 09:12   #5
DRC
BHPian

And Why not!.. Good to see competition at all levels.
Old 24th October 2006, 09:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjan united
Oh my god! Now in F1 we are gonna have car that will give cost a tenth of the other cars, will give 40 kmpl, will look like it was designed by 5 other F1 teams and will have only 5 cylinders working in a V8 engine. What Next? Bajaj in MotoGP (though I would love to see that)
Haha... Thats funny

Entering F1 just ain't enough, u've gotta be up there with the teams such as Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Honda etc who've been playing the game for a long time now and have loads of experience. Not much attention goes to the lower teams.
Old 24th October 2006, 11:36   #7
Team-BHP Support

If anything they should come into F1 with their CRDi engines rather than the petrol.
Going by the road performance and technology the CRDi's are way ahead of their petrol counterparts.
Old 24th October 2006, 11:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Leaving all jokes aside, this is a very good move by Hyundai.

The technology in F1 will be a great boost to Hyundai R&D.
Also it would mean more competition for us F1 fans.
Old 24th October 2006, 12:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

I wish Hyundai all the very best - they have mostly achieved what they set out to do so far. This may sound like a tall order, but obviously they dont plan to sit around on their butts and watch other (smaller) manufacturers have fun on track just because some people may feel like laughing.

It takes courage to walk into the ring and throw the gauntlet - I appreciate them for that. As for the jokes, lets wait for them to start off - its a few years away yet.

And who knows - if a common rail motor can win Le Mans today who knows whats in store for F1 a few years down the line?
Old 24th October 2006, 14:23   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am not surprised at all, if anything...why did Hyundai wait until 2010? They are now a world-class automotive manufacturer with potential volumes enough for a seat in the Big 5 worldwide. Also remember that deep pockets are very important for an F1 team - Something Hyundai has absolutely no problems with.

Quote:
who've been playing the game for a long time now and have loads of experience. Not much attention goes to the lower teams.
I think Toyota has been getting a LOT of attention.
Old 24th October 2006, 14:28   #11
Team-BHP Support

It is a very commendable decision taken by hyundai. But does this mean they will be coming as a whole team or will be just engine suppliers initially like honda and cosworth?
Old 24th October 2006, 21:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is planning its own Formula One team for 2010.
Old 24th October 2006, 22:03   #13
BHPian

Well i feel its a brilliant move on Hyundai's part... All said and done about Hyundai designs, engines et al, its still one of the fastest growing car manufacturers and who knows what these three intervening periods have in store for them (and us)... All the best guys... Hope to see you there on the track...
Old 24th October 2006, 22:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a
Well i feel its a brilliant move on Hyundai's part... All said and done about Hyundai designs, engines et al, its still
Quote:
one of the fastest growing car manufacturers
and who knows what these three intervening periods have in store for them (and us)...
i dont see where that tag would take them in F1. Like GTO said, deep pockets are a welcome, but it takes a lot more than deep pockets & volume of sales to be one of the best designers in engines etc etc that F1 demands. if only hyundai was even remotely visible with their engines & stuff in lesser circuits, then there is a scope for them. please enlighten me, i am yet to see the name hyundai in any racing circles. i could be wrong, please correct me.
Old 24th October 2006, 23:04   #15
BHPian

@ esteem_lover
Arrey baba what i meant from the "one of the fastest growing car manufacturers" remark was that their pockets were getting bigger and bigger... I know it takes more than big pockets, but big pockets take care of this 'more'... And as far as designing engines goes i said lets see what the three years have in store for us... Just to give an example of engine designing... look at the 1500cc verna.... (i know one may say that its a diesel, but a few years back nobody would have said that it could deliver even this).. As for lesser circuits, even i have not heard much but then there is the Tiburon...

Last edited by ess_a : 24th October 2006 at 23:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks