Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 21:05   #151
BHPian

Re: The 2017 MotoGP Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
For the first time this season, I felt that Lorenzo had a good chance for a win. Guess he pushed it too much. However, he seemed pretty cool while watching the race after the crash and even winked at the camera. Looks like he is happy with himself despite the crash. He is gaining confidence with bike and is coming close to being competitive. We will have more to see from him in the coming races.

Marquez was pure masterclass today. He had a big miss in the early laps and almost crashed. Anyone else would have treaded safely from then on. Not Marquez. His
all out approach to chase down Petrucci rather than settling for a safe second is what separates champions from the rest.
I also felt with the way Lorenzo was going, Lorenzo could have had a good result. He definitely seems more content and confident which is good signs for him. These are signs that he will eventually manage to tame Ducati which will be interesting next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
Yet again, fans jeer Marquez.

This is what he had to say.

“This honestly makes me sad because the podium I can understand, but what I cannot understand is when you crash the grandstand cheers,” said Marquez.

“This is something that when we crash, we are riding 300kph there in the track, we are pushing the limit, our life is there and we can get injured.

“I hope that in the future, minimum my fans never do this with any rider because the feeling is not nice.”

Source: http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/882...andstand-jeers
Oh!! I missed the presentation. Sad to know that this happened because even as a Rossi fan, what Marc did yesterday deserve extreme praise. Marc yesterday displayed all the top characteristics of top level rider control, will to win, race management, aggression where required. Really an excellent race by him.

I only hope I have for Rossi is that when he does come back, he does not loose on his form.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 22:02   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterPatrol View Post
This guy is just nuts
It's unbelievable how he pushes the bike to the limits and beyond! He seems to have cat like agility and reflexes. His saves look impossible and out of this world. On those occasions when he cannot save, he walks off with little or no physical injury.

On his Silverstone crash Cal Crutchlow says

"If that was anyone else he’d have two broken legs and a dislocated shoulder! I have no idea how he gets away with it.

"And then, to top it off again, the bike nearly hit him and he still managed to miss it whereas somebody else would be cleaned up.

"It shows true credit to how fast he is and also how tough he is when he can… how tough he is to get back up and start going fast immediately, which he was.

"I was coming into Turn 2 [Becketts] and I looked up and thought ‘what the f***’s that in the distance?’ and it’s him flying through the air. It was big, honestly. But I’m glad he’s ok."

Source: https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...-crash-944760/

However, I think that his risk appetite can get him into trouble in long run. Already there is some concern over his right shoulder which had dislocated more than once. If it happens multiple times, he may have issues with tendons / ligaments. Serious injury is only thing that can stop Marquez from breaking most of the current MotoGP records.

Coming to Rossi fans jeering Marquez, I guess they still didn't forgive him for the 2015 championship loss. If Rossi wins another championship in future, this animosity may come down a bit. If not, he will always be remembered as the one who took away their hero's 10th championship.

Last edited by badri : 11th September 2017 at 22:05.
badri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 00:06   #153
Senior - BHPian

I am a fan of Rossi and his riding. But that doesn't mean I din't enjoy Sunday's race. Marquez was brilliant and that risk he took on the last lap, really shows his penchant for the sport over championship and points. He really gave it all, and got what he truly deserves. Yes, he has been reckless and had erred in 2015, fiddling with the championship points unnecessarily, but that doesn't take away credits for his talent.

Let's love the sport, not just few names that make the sport greater
Old 12th September 2017, 15:23   #154
BHPian

From Mat Oxley:
It was difficult to watch Sunday’s race without imagining a kind of Gollum conversation taking place inside Marc Márquez’s head between his risk-taking self and his risk-averse self (if he has such a thing).
However tiny Márquez’s risk-averse self might be, it was in charge for most of the 28 laps. He wisely decided to let Jorge Lorenzo go about his business and then just as wisely decided to stay behind Danilo Petrucci, allowing the Italian to set the pace. All this while his risk-taking inner beast was surely fighting to get out…
“Let me out!”
“No! Twenty points is better than none!”
“Let me out and let me at him! Twenty-five points is better than 20!”
This must have continued for at least half the race, because while Márquez knew he could not win the title on Sunday he certainly knew he could lose it. If he had crashed out he would be going to Aragón 29 points behind Andrea Dovizioso.
Nevertheless, Márquez’s inner beast did eventually get its way. The transformation was instant: the body language changed, his Repsol Honda started dancing around a bit more and Petrucci’s advantage shrank. Márquez had done the sums and he had decided it was worth walking the line for those five extra points.
It’s the kind of nerve-wracking situation in which most championship hopefuls find themselves: looking for that uncomfortable middle ground between risking too much and crashing out and risking too little and scoring too few points.
The risks are magnified many times in the rain and at Misano they were magnified many times more. The track was ridiculously slippery, claiming an all-time record of 80 victims on race day. In those conditions it’s very difficult to find the limit without tripping over it, which is why so many riders were on the ground before they even knew they’d done anything wrong.
Inevitably, Márquez had more moments than anyone. He saved several monster front-end slides that would’ve taken out most normal mortals, or at least had them shutting the throttle and cruising to the chequered flag. So why doesn’t Márquez heed such warnings?

He does, of course, but in a different way. Márquez always rides like this: on a dry track, on a wet track, even on a skating rink, like Sunday. It’s the consequence of a life spent scrambling for grip on dirt-track ovals. He needs the motorcycle moving around, so that he can have a conversation with it. Each time it flicks this way or that his machine is talking to him, telling him something important. Often it tells him: that’s the limit, right there. But he doesn’t usually back down. Instead he works out how to creep up on the limit from a slightly different angle.
All riders have conversations with their motorcycles. It’s what riding bikes and racing bikes is all about: feeling the machine respond to your input and then reacting to that reaction. It’s just that Márquez's communication with his bike is on another level; almost like he speaks a different language. He can understand what the bike is telling him and make the appropriate response in a fraction of the time it takes others. And that’s what makes him so special.
Márquez is contesting his 10th season in Grands Prix, but many people still believe that he wins by riding out of control and surviving through luck. Someone asked Andrea Dovizioso this very question at the previous race in Britain: how does he get away with it?
Dovizioso sighed before answering, no doubt surprised that this still needs explaining. “People still say Marc is out of control, but did you ever see him ride in a different way? One of Marc’s strong points is this: he can play with the limit. Not many riders can. Most of the time he is past the limit and he makes mistakes, but he has won a lot of titles, which means he can manage this situation. For sure, it’s difficult for Marc not to play with the limit, for him it’s normal; in fact he has to do this.”
Márquez crashed three times during practice, qualifying and warm-up at Misano –*more than anyone else. But he won the race, while many riders who hadn’t fallen in practice crashed out. So who’s the clever guy?

Of course, crashing can be dangerous, but modern tracks and modern riding gear have made it much less dangerous. Márquez fully understands what he’s doing – he locates the limit in practice or warm-up, so he knows how far he can go in the race. The statistics come out clearly in his favour: he may have crashed 76 times during his 85 MotoGP weekends but he has won 33 MotoGP races and three world championships in four years. And he’s still only 24 years old.
Misano was a great victory for various reasons:*because the conditions were so treacherous, because there was so much to lose and because he still had the front and rear tyres squirming into the last corner. It may even have been his greatest success.
Márquez certainly knew he had done something special. “When I crossed the line it was good that I didn’t have a microphone inside the helmet!” he laughed.
Come the final race of the season there will be many key moments to look back upon, but it’s just possible that Márquez scored his most valuable win of the year on Sunday.
MonsterPatrol is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 07:29   #155
BHPian

Valentino Rossi does a test ride on R1M at Misano. Will decide whether to ride at Aragon by Wednesday!

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/882...n-by-wednesday

Last edited by badri : 19th September 2017 at 07:31.
badri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 20:03   #156
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Rossi will take part in FP1 this weekend and then decide if he wants to take further part in the weekend.

What a comeback this will be. I expected him to take longer than he did when he first broke his leg.

Kudos to the 37 year old!

Source: http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/882...ragon-comeback
ashwin.terminat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 18:23   #157
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant stuff from Rossi today.

To break your leg 3 weeks ago and to race on a MotoGP bike is a feat in itself.

But to sit pretty on the front row with a 3rd place qualifying position, sensational stuff!

(To think he had pole provisionally for a few seconds)
ashwin.terminat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 10:20   #158
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant race by Rossi. Finishing 5th within half a second of Vinales is commendable. Marquez was as always brilliant pushing his bike to the limit and winning it. Ducati with a medium rear could have had a chance, but who knows. Lorenzo is getting into the rhythm, he wasn't struggling as much as Dovi. 16 points leading into championship, Marquez needs to be careful now.
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 20:51   #159
BHPian

I guess there's enough analysis on the race and statistics out there. I would like to touch upon one unspoken aspect of MotoGP.

In my opinion, MotoGP has probably the best quality videography among all sports right now! This sport is epitome of Man-Machine ballet and I believe that Dorna didn't leave any stone upturned in their quest to provide the best experience to their viewers. 2000 fps capture slow motion, gyroscopic cameras have been used for many years now. Just check this video from Aragon GP! I could watch it a 1000 times and still not be bored.

badri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 00:44   #160
BHPian

I remember seeing a picture of Valentino’s leg (only leg though- not VR’s face in the frame) during the race weekend, with a lump on his shin which they tried to cushion with some foaming to reduce the discomfort. But look at this... (found it in comments on mat oxley’s recent article). Not sure what to make of this....

Broken leg my arse!
Does anybody know for sure he broke his leg....., in the countryside, with only one or two close friends about? Where's the x-rays' of pined limbs, how did he get to hospital from the accident site?

Our hero had a dose of the runs or something before Misano and has played mind games with all of the media since.

He left the GP med center after his medical exam holding his crutch out to the left of his body and in his left hand....? It is scientifically impossible to reduce the weight (or bring about any other benefit) on your poor broken right leg in that poise. (people who fake leg injuries often do this unknowingly)

It gets much more incredible!
Before his sighting lap on Sunday when mounting his machine he did so from the right hand side (off side) of the bike thus placing all of his 70-80kg's on his poor little pinned together lower leg bone and then pivoted this entire mass through the said limb as he threw his left over the bike!!.... you cannot explain this away with super quality pain killers, and if you could, to do what he done there, to his supposed, broken leg, you would need to have the mental capacity of cabbage.....

More?
During the race start itself he can be seen bouncing his entire "right leg" off the track, no problem for our abnormal friend.
And during the race, he can be seen putting his "Right" leg out while beginning to steer into the right-handers!!
- " erh...I'll just put my broken leg out here and see if slamming it off the track might hurt"

Get the wool out of your eyes, you've all been duped...
Show me some évidences please.

Honestly, I wouldn’t fall for this crap theory. Why would Valentino skip a race and throw away a potential 25 points at his home Grand Prix in such an unpredictable championship? (Especially after they switched to the 2018 chassis and found some solutions to the grip issues in the latter half of the race).Infact his hurried return to Arágon proves that he still believed he had a chance in such a topsy turvy championship.... I cannot imagine a motorsport legend as big as VR faking it. I was quite surprised when Matthew Birt mentioned during the start that some believed he was faking it. The theory is absurd...Utterly preposterous.. anyway there’s no harm in reviewing the video parts mentioned in the comment above...:

Last edited by MonsterPatrol : 28th September 2017 at 01:12.
MonsterPatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 16:14   #161
BHPian

I had made plans to visit the Malaysian F1 GP last weekend but unfortunately had to cancel. Now, I plan to go for the Motogp race on Oct 27-29. Is anyone else going for this? Any suggestions on the best tickets and places to stay?
Old 9th October 2017, 09:49   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I had made plans to visit the Malaysian F1 GP last weekend but unfortunately had to cancel. Now, I plan to go for the Motogp race on Oct 27-29. Is anyone else going for this? Any suggestions on the best tickets and places to stay?
I’ll be there. Stay as close to the track as possible to beat the traffic. Best tickets would obviously be the VIP motogp village pass- a/c suite located above the pit lane with meals, pitlane walk etc. But it’s ridiculously expensive but well worth it in my opinion. Next best thing would be the main grandstand near the start/finish line where I’ll be seated. The seats are not numbered so it’s on first come first serve basis.
Old 14th October 2017, 17:54   #163
Senior - BHPian

Overconfident decision by Marquez cost him the pole, nearly cost him the front row too, who will start P3 tomorrow. After setting fastest lap of the weekend on the very first flying lap of qualifying, Marquez switched to slicks from rain tyres, watching no one within 1.5 sec for more than half of practice session. But in the dying moments, it backfired as Zarco produced a P1 lap followed by Petrruci.
Good day for KTM too, as both riders were in Q2, beating Vinales in Q1.
Also a good day for A Espargaro as he starts from P4, and both Suzuki were in top 12
Old 15th October 2017, 11:30   #164
Senior - BHPian

What a race. What a race !
Both the riders pushing each other to the limit. Dovi just managing to clinch the top trophy. Marquez almost losing the bike on last lap. Another great race of the season. The three rain masters of the season completing the podium, Dovi Marquez and Petrucci. Not to forget Petrucci leading the race for quite sometime. Both Suzuki in the top 5.
Next stop Phillip Island, with 11 points separating the top 2 riders.
fz_rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 11:50   #165
BHPian

We may just have witnessed the greatest race of all time.
MonsterPatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed