Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 14:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1 : 2017 Chinese Grand Prix

So the gauntlet has been laid. Another race where Ferrari is beginning to establish the fact that their performance gain is not just a flash in the pan. To state the obvious they are seriously challenging Mercedes dominance. And after a long long time we don't have both the Mercs on the top step without a pit stop bungle or a botched strategy.

Though the quantity of passes were less perhaps the quality was much better and that too up and down the order. Verstappen (well where doesn't he do it!), Vettel, Grojean, Perez, Hulkenberg all had moves. I think rather than bust their chops thinking about how to create overtaking by other means the F1 thinktank should simply give the cars a bigger dose of power when overtaking moves dry up.

Hamilton seems to be a happy camper now. I wonder whether he will be able to keep it up once the pressure starts building. The last year he had to bother only about his team-mate. This year he has a lot more dudes lined up for their chances. Just wish the Iceman manages to light a fire somewhere and start motoring! And Honda discovers their engine making skills.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 11th April 2017, 17:53   #47
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 : 2017 Chinese Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
From what I hear, Honda' big problem is the MGU-K. They don't have the same effectiveness in harnessing energy and assisting the combustion engine like others. So, they need to tune up the combustion engine which in turn makes it more thirsty. The classic case of between the devil and the deep blue sea. The car was so exposed in the long straights of China due to this. The difference in speed towards the end of that straight between the McLaren and Mercedes was so profound, the former looked like it was standing still when Bottas passed Alonso.
I believe Honda's main issue is with ICE itself.
Their ERS is probably within ballpark ranges.
The instability in the ultra lean burn combustion could be causing power imbalance and vibrations, due to which they might be running their engine on a "richer" mix to keep it within limits for the time being till they sort out the issues and introduce the upgraded ICE.
Hope in Bahrain test after the GP they will try out the proposed update.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks