Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2017, 19:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: F1: The 2017 Russian GP @ Sochi Autodrom

Ferrari is the better car in dirty air, Merc finding it difficult to follow in dirty air. Hamilton had a weekend to forget, the number 1,2 talk by skyf1 will die for now .

3 drivers with a chance for the victory, come on Kimi, make it four. I'm quite happy with the race today, Bottas showing his worth. Ferrari listening to Kimi's call for the pitstop.

Good day for ForceIndia as well eh, 6th and 7th.
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 19:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

There were no overtakes or incidents, but it was a gripping duel between Bottas and Vettel. Bottas got a great start and he lead quite well. Ferrari and Vettel should have taken that pit stop early. Left it too late and Vettel ran out of laps in the end, even though the Ferrari looked much faster towards the end on supersofts.

Bottas was always in control except for that really bad lockup and flat spotting of his tyres. But then he cut off his team radio, got his head down and got the job done.

Happy for Bottas, he waited long for his first win and it will be a popular victory at his strongest track. He made amends for the loss of P1 at Bahrain. And that's after long that I hear the Finnish national anthem being played.

The biggest loser of this round is Lewis. Just couldn't get the car working this race weekend. And he will be very worried about Bottas taking points off him from now on. Let's see if Bottas can wiggle his way into this two horse race now that he has got the most difficult job done - the first win.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 19:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Leading a cumulative 8 world championships to get your first race win. Beating 3 world champions into first place. What a drive from Bottas!! Though it would not have changed the outcome he owes his former team mate Massa a beer as well.

Amazing start from Bottas which made all the difference. Lewis almost closed 2nd but had to lift off (I was surprised) as Vettel came across to defend the outside. Finishing fourth Lewis must have wondered whether he was in a different planet altogether not being able to challenge for podium at any point of the race. This time Bottas did not leave any room for a gentleman's request.

Great result for the giant minnows Force India with Perez and Ocon finishing in 6th and 7th. This team for me has been one of the most incredible delivering so much on such a small budget compared to the guys in front (Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari).

Ferrari pitstops were pretty ordinary at 3.5s for Raikkonen and 3.4s for Sebastian. Bottas made up around 0.9 of a second on the pitstops. When you think that the gap at the finish was 0.6 seconds...

And Lance Stroll finally managed to finish a race...

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 21:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Very happy for Bottas. Time and again, he has shown that he is very cool under pressure and even without Massa getting in the way, I'm pretty sure he'd have held on to that win.

Kimi seems to be outclassed by Vettel but hopefully, we get a three way fight this season.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 07:55   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bottas sure as hell bolted when the lights went green! What an unbelievable start & congratulations to him on the win . This season shows great promise.

Hamilton either has an 'on' day or 'off' day; yesterday was definitely off. Wish he'd at least fought for 3rd as all of these points make a big difference in the end.

Not much action after the start, although it was fun to see Bottas & Vettel run so close.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 08:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

The highlights for those who missed the race.

Kimi was fun on the radio again.

Lap 34
Ferrari race engineer: "Kimi, you are x seconds behind Bottas".
Kimi: "How did I end up behind Bottas?".
Ferrari race engineer: "He was in the lead from the first lap, Kimi".
Kimi: "Ah.. OK. I thought it was Hamilton."
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 10:12   #22
BANNED

Re: F1: The 2017 Russian GP @ Sochi Autodrom

I must say Bottas was a revelation. he really took the Ferraris on at the start and then never relinquished the lead. I am wondering how he got such a fast start. I do not think the Merc engine is that much better. Must have been the additional ERS power.
Old 1st May 2017, 10:53   #23
BHPian

Mercedes had reduced the cooling requirements this weekend, probably to reduce drag penalty as they knew Ferrari are too close to comfort.
However Lewis was finding it difficult to manage the temperatures even with a 4 seconds gap ahead.
Seems like they cut it too close as Bottas in clean air was having similar issues too.
Ferrari's front row lock out is a clear indication of the current state of play.
Mercedes will have to dig deep for their Barcelona upgrade.
Ferrari have a real chance of doing well this year as they have managed to get their cars to be set up to the liking of both their drivers, unlike most other teams where the car characteristics suit one of their drivers more than the other.
Many are looking forward to Spain, the usual target for serious upgrades by most of the teams.
Races like these are where one wishes for mid-race Refuelling.

Last edited by jfxavier : 1st May 2017 at 10:54.
Old 1st May 2017, 12:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

The track was very challenging and once you are in the front, there are very few places to overtake as the track needs perfection at all corners. It was boring, but good win for Bottas.

I am eagerly waiting for Red Bull to resolve their reliability issues to give a real chance to Max and Riccardo, the former being my favourite.

Last edited by F150 : 1st May 2017 at 12:31.
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

That was a great race up front. Bottas really managed his cool and drove at his best. The kid has a great future ahead. I wonder if Toto Wolff listened to Eddie and actually framed a contract extension. Unless he has his eye on Alonso!!

The Ferrari looks supreme and Vettel seems to have matured quite a bit from last year. He really reeled in Bottas towards the end and seemed to have timed his overtake attempts for the last 5 laps. Massa played quite dirty in my opinion and funny to see that Ferrari or Seb haven't lodged a complaint. Ferrari really need to work on their pit stops. Vettel could have gained at least a second if not for the crews failure to get the front left properly aligned into the hub.

Hamilton never did like Sochi I reckon. He was just plain grey on race day and ended up almost 15 seconds down on the top 3.

Radio message of the day for me was Alonso:

Engineer: Fernando, please try pressing the button 3 times.

Alonso: I already did try, you can come and try if you like.

That wouldn't have worked if Ron Dennis was still on the pit-wall. I just hope we don't lose Fernando to another category after this season. Toto & Niki, get him on-board. I have nothing against Bottas but I would just prefer to see Alonso wearing the three pointed star on his chest.
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:47   #26
BHPian

What a start by Bottas! Once that was done, it was clear all the way. As someone mentioned, it would have been extremely engrossing if there were re-fueling pit stops. It could turn things around big time.
Hamilton, the less said the better for this race atleast.
Force India - good wins again. These two are consistently doing well, quietly since the start of the season. I hope they continue to do the same and even better (one or two podiums wouldnt hurt)
The fight(if you can call it that) towards the end in the last few laps between vettel and bottas was keeping seated and not switch channels...Massa not giving space as quickly as Vettel would have wanted notwithstanding.
Old 2nd May 2017, 17:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Ferrari's front row lock out is a clear indication of the current state of play.
At what cost though?

They're already on the third turbo out of the maximum allocated 4 turbos.

Ferrari claims the older turbos can be used in future races as well. But that also means they cannot bring upgrades to the used turbos in future races,

Have they gotten this speed at the cost of long-term reliability?

That said, Sochi was largely boring until the last 8-9 laps where Vettel was catching Bottas who got off the line like a bolt of lightning. Have got to feel for Fernando. Couldn't even start the race this time around. Makes we wonder what is the rationale behind Sauber choosing Honda as their engine suppliers for 2018 - http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...ines-for-2018/

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 2nd May 2017 at 17:38.
Old 3rd May 2017, 08:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am wondering how he got such a fast start. I do not think the Merc engine is that much better.
Bottas got a great tow from Vettel down the long straight. And apparently there was a head wind which made the slipstream even more effective.

And here is the best of team radio from Russia.

Text cannot match Kimi' radio chatter in real.

And here is Massa getting the finger. The Brazilian was a bad sport, but I don't think it would have mattered anyways. Bottas had this covered.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:48   #29
BHPian

^I liked Bottas' the best. "For the remaining laps, I want less talking." Bad. Ass. The finns have radio art, don't they?

Most Viewed