Team-BHP - Formula 1: Hamilton wins the championship title at Mexico
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   Formula 1: Hamilton wins the championship title at Mexico (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/191936-formula-1-hamilton-wins-championship-title-mexico.html)

Lewis Hamilton has won the 2017 Formula One championship at Mexico. This will be the British driver's fourth title - becoming only the fifth person to achieve this feat.
Formula 1: Hamilton wins the championship title at Mexico-mexico-2017.jpg

An aggressive start saw Red Bull's Max Verstappen challenge the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel and caused a contact between them. Noticing this, Lewis Hamilton took the outside line, but collided with Vettel. There was damage to the Ferrari's front wing and Hamilton punctured his rear tyre. Both the drivers pitted at the end of the first lap and were the last of the drivers in the race by the fourth lap.

Vettel and Hamilton moved up the field and the German was keen to take the Championship battle to the Brazilian GP. The Ferrari driver had to be placed 2nd or higher and Lewis 9th or lower to take the battle to the next race. However, despite a strong effort through the race, Vettel could only manage the 4th place by the end of the race. Hamilton moved to the 9th position by the end of the race to clinch the Championship title.

Red Bull's Verstappen was unchallenged at the front and won the third race of his career. He however, missed out on becoming the youngest driver to win a pole position as Vettel had beaten him at the very end of the qualifying stages. Mercedes driver Valterri Bottas came in 2nd followed by fellow countryman Kimi Raikkonen of Ferrari to complete the podium. A virtual safety car in the mid-race allowed Raikkonen to catch up and pass the Force India car of Ocon.

The Force India drivers Esteban Ocon and Sergio Perez came 5th and 7th split by William's Lance Stroll. Kevin Magnussen of Haas was placed 8th, followed by Fernando Alonso of Honda at 10th and William's Felipe Massa in the 11th. Stoffel Vandoorne's Honda came in at 12th ahead of the Torro Rosso of Pierre Gasly. Last of the classified drivers, Pascal Wehrlein of Sauber and Romain Grosjean of Haas were placed 14th and 15th respectively.

Both the Renaults of Carlos Sainz and Nico Hulkenberg could not finish the race. They were joined by Marcus Ericsson of Ferrari, Brendon Hartley of Toro Rosso and Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo.

Hamilton's lead of 56 points over Vettel is unconquerable in the remaining two races. However, the position for the 2nd place is not yet decided and will be a close one between Vettel and Bottas with a gap of just 15 points.

The penultimate race of the 2017 season will be held at Brazil on 12th November. The season will close at the Abu Dhabi GP on 26th November.

World Drivers' Championship standings:

Lewis Hamilton - 333

Sebastian Vettel - 277

Valtteri Bottas -262

World Constructors' Championship standings:

Mercedes - 595

Ferrari - 455

Red Bull - 340

Link to Team-BHP News

Yes, a well deserving champion. Hope he will add couple more to it and take race wins close to MS's 91.

With 2 quadruple Champions next year along with Red Bulls & Alonso, it's going to be an epic battle next year.

Bring on F1 2018

Cheers!

As much as Hamilton (and Mercedes) won the championship, I think Vettel & Ferrari lost it. At mid-season, Ferrari/Vettel were in a strong position with Vettel leading by a good margin. Until the Italian GP, Vettel was on the podium in all but 3 races, while Hamilton missed out on a podium finish in 5 races.

Ferrari need to do some soul searching now. They choked, in my opinion.

If Ferrari wins then it is because of the team and the driver. If somebody else wins its's because Ferrari lost it. That's unfair. Just accept that Ferrari were squarely beaten, Mercedes and LH were the better team. They were efficient and consistent, Ferrari dropped the ball and were clearly the 2 best team.
(Noticing this, Lewis Hamilton squeezed from the outside, but collided with Vettel.) This is again kind of absolving Vettel of the incident. LH did not collide with Vettel but it was the other way around.

Though I missed the race, it was a foregone conclusion that the champion would be crowned in Mexico. And what a champ!!!
Stamped his authority again, but this year, with a surprisingly more subdued demeanor. I think he has been humbled to a great extent by the fact that he's reaching his idol's records. And at this rate, I'm sure he has enough drive to top the record sheets.
Go Lewis!!!!

A well-deserved champion! Lewis has driven a flawless season; he's matured as a driver and it shows in the consistency. He rarely ever made a mistake this year.

As I posted on the constructor's championship thread, Lewis is on a roll & is part of a dream team with Mercedes. I think Lewis has at least another 2 - 3 championships left in him. He's going to break Schumacher's records (including max number of race wins).

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha (Post 4296524)
As much as Hamilton (and Mercedes) won the championship, I think Vettel & Ferrari lost it.

In 3 consecutive races - starting from Singapore - I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 4296666)
but this year, with a surprisingly more subdued demeanor. I think he has been humbled to a great extent by the fact that he's reaching his idol's records.

And also that he got beaten fair & square by his teammate last year. Lewis has usually ranked ahead of all his teammates. I remember an interview where Lewis said Nico made him focus harder on the sport (and not life outside the cockpit).

Flashback to 2013;

When Hamilton declared he is moving to Mercedes, lot of eye-brows were raised. At times people making fun of him. I remember the GPToons cartoon published after the announcement. From McLaren to Mercedes was unthinkable. Mercedes had miserable Formula 1 year in 2012 (except Rosberg's surprise China win). Hamilton was a home grown racer at McLaren and Ron Dennise's boy.

GPToons in Feb 2013. Look at Button :D

Formula 1: Hamilton wins the championship title at Mexico-92enhamiltonrosbergbuttonmercedesw04jerezgptoonsgrandprixtoons.jpg

In his first year in F1, he came so close to winning the Championship. His mistake in Chine proved very costly. See video. I personally feel he overshadowed Alonso and it resulted into high tensions between the two. Alonso was then recently crowned two time world champion. Eventually Alonso moved out. Ham's rookie year failure did not deter him and he fought hard to win in 2008.

https://youtu.be/Jn69iYew9wQ

Back to 2017;

In last 5 years at Mercedes he has won 3 championships. Isn't that incredible clap: With every championship he has matured as a race driver. I'm sure he has 2 or 3 more championships still left and would end up breaking all records and making new records.

Hats off!!

Finally a video message from the heart.

https://youtu.be/ieU1b9AFe3A

Well done Lewis!

I didn't like him when he started out at McLaren. The talent and raw speed was always there, but I couldn't stomach his attitude - one of extreme entitlement. I guess, driving for Ron Dennis also didn't help what I felt. lol:

Then, he mellowed over the years following setbacks - both on the track and off it. But the talent and the raw speed was always there. And I started warming up to him.

I recall listening to him when Vodafone brought him to Bangalore. He came across as very genuine still, but matured too. And by then I had also learned that he was a massive Gooner. And he also ditched Ron. So, it became very easy for me to cheer him. :D

He is operating at a completely different level now. Yes, Nico bet him last year. But that was by the skin of his teeth. And it took so much off Nico that he just couldn't take it anymore and had to call it quits.

And Lewis has just taken off from there. Utterly fast over a single lap on Saturday, leading a race from the front, hunting the pack down from the rear, superior race craft, conserving the machine and tyres, saving fuel, Hammer time... - his arsenal* is just too strong.

I just hope we will see him drive for Maranello too before he calls it quits.

PS: *pun very much intended

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 4298014)

He is operating at a completely different level now. Yes, Nico bet him last year. But that was by the skin of his teeth. And it took so much off Nico that he just couldn't take it anymore and had to call it quits.

Agree Lewis is a superb driver but I wouldn't say Nico quit because of the rivalry with Lewis, and couldn't compete with him.

There are better reasons
->He has reached the Zenith of the sport
->He is going out at his peak
->To enjoy his young family

Altogether he has different priorities.

So saying he couldn't handle the pressure would be a bit unfair.

If anyone who was affected by pressure it was Lewis, he was very inconsistent last year with his starts and also Malaysia :(

But also Lewis after winning his 4th title said in the post race press conference that he too would like to go out on top like Nico.

But food for thought, if Nico was still racing this season, just imagine the intensity of the three way fight. The mind games, psychological advantages and awkward press conferences.

One can only dream...

Quote:

And Lewis has just taken off from there. Utterly fast over a single lap on Saturday, leading a race from the front, hunting the pack down from the rear, superior race craft, conserving the machine and tyres, saving fuel, Hammer time... - his arsenal* is just too strong.

Well again, Hamilton did a really good job coming P8 from the back of the grid. Even Sebastian deserves praise in this case, he finished P4 form the back of the grid.
I do agree Lewis's left half of the diffuser was destroyed and struggled to get power, But credit is given where it is due.

Lewis if not in Mexico could have easily won in Brazil,just because the points gap is so high.

Just imagine the amount of pressure, Driving from the back of the grid to try to finish P2 to stay in the Championship fight, even though he knows its very unlikely he'll win the championship even - if he finishes the race at P2.
I definitely wouldn't want to be in that cockpit with that thought in mind and so much pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka (Post 4298598)
Agree Lewis is a superb driver but I wouldn't say Nico quit because of the rivalry with Lewis, and couldn't compete with him....Altogether he has different priorities.

I didn't mean to say that Nico couldn't handle the pressure. Well, he did and got the #1 last season. But it asked and took a lot from him which he couldn't endure anymore. Reaching the top is easier compared to staying on top. F1 is ruthless business. :)

Quote:

Well again, Hamilton did a really good job coming P8 from the back of the grid....

I wasn't calling out the race at Mexico specifically but just referencing Lewis' vast array of resources at his disposal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 4298667)
I didn't mean to say that Nico couldn't handle the pressure. Well, he did and got the #1 last season. But it asked and took a lot from him which he couldn't endure anymore. Reaching the top is easier compared to staying on top. F1 is ruthless business. :)

It sounds a tad bit better when you put it that way.

Quote:

I wasn't calling out the race at Mexico specifically but just referencing Lewis' vast array of resources at his disposal.
Can you please elaborate on the "Lewis's vast array of resources at his disposal"?
Do you mean his skill or the resources provided by Mercedes AMG F1.

Quote:

But food for thought, if Nico was still racing this season, just imagine the intensity of the three way fight. The mind games, psychological advantages and awkward press conferences.

Put Daniel in that second car and 70% of your dream will come true :D

May not be any more awkward press conferences. Lewis has evolved a lot these days.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by myavu (Post 4298862)
Put Daniel in that second car and 70% of your dream will come true :D

May not be any more awkward press conferences. Lewis has evolved a lot these days.

Cheers!

:D
Mercedes have shown interest in Daniel for 2019, maybe it might happen.
Valtteri has to perform extremely well if he wants the 2019 seat.
Was really disappointed in him after the slump in second half of the season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka (Post 4298733)
Can you please elaborate on the "Lewis's vast array of resources at his disposal"?
Do you mean his skill or the resources provided by Mercedes AMG F1.

Was referring to my very first post of this thread. Quoted below.

Quote:

Just wanted to highlight that Lewis is not a few tricks pony. And I was talking about his career in general and not just the race at Mexico.

In the past, he lost his head a bit when things weren't going so well - both on and off track. And right now, he looks to be in absolute peace and functioning at his absolute best.