Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

View Poll Results: Who, do you think, will lift the MotoGP 2018 crown?
Marc Marquez 15 31.25%
Andrea Dovizioso 8 16.67%
Maverick Vinales 2 4.17%
Dani Pedrosa 1 2.08%
Valentino Rossi 20 41.67%
Jorge Lorenzo 2 4.17%
Any others (Please specify)? 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th October 2018, 14:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The 2018 MotoGP Championship

Not a good time for Lorenzo. Suffers a fracture of his foot after the crash in Aragon - bravely returns to ride in Thailand only to suffer a massive high-side crash again.

Last edited by manson : 24th October 2018 at 08:45.
Old 7th October 2018, 13:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Sweet revenge for Marquez ! Last turn move on Dovizioso to win the race. Amazing maiden spectacle at Buriram. It looked close for Yamaha, so close yet so far.
Old 7th October 2018, 13:36   #48
BHPian

Yamaha still gaining some crucial points with 3 finishes out of top 5..this was a great chance for Rossi. Second place start, Lorenzo out and later Pedrosa crashing early! But Vinales showed better character today.

However, the hero was Marquez! What a slick late braking and turn!! A great contest witnessed by 100k plus spectators at Thai GP.

Hope Japan brings better luck for Yamaha.
Old 7th October 2018, 15:24   #49
BHPian

Payback time by Marquez. It's two in a row now that Marquez came on top in last lap duel with Dovizioso. He is truly the world champion.
For a change Yamaha's were quicker and good to see both of them in the mix for podium fight. Also Dani looked good for a podium finish before he crashed.
Old 21st October 2018, 12:42   #50
BHPian

The riders championship is done and dusted. Marq scores his 5th motogp title becoming the youngest rider surpassing Valentino's record (was 26 years)

Name:  images1.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  70.3 KB

Source

The second place is still up for grabs though with Vale and Dovi in contention.

In terms of teams and constructors championship too Repsol Honda and HRC have their hands on the title.. almost.
five46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 12:53   #51
BHPian

Congratulations to Marquez! He is redefining the art of motorcycle racing. Being a die-hard Rossi fan, it is not the best feeling to know that it probably is only a matter of time before Marquez demolishes Rossi's other records. But have to give to Marquez for that maturity that he had gained over the Marquez from couple of years ago who wanted to outrun everyone in every corner right from start.

It is a great sight to see Marquez race and his innocent celebrations. That being said, I am wary of what would happen next year with Lorenzo and Marquez sharing paddock. Just hope that Lorenzo does not rub any negativity onto Marquez.

As for Yamaha, well, I wonder if they can sink any further. Even Suzuki's seem to be better than them. The only solace is in knowing that Rossi is ahead of Vinales and Zarco so at least it is not a fault with the rider.

Hope 2019 season is better than 2018 for Yamaha and Rossi.

Last edited by manson : 24th October 2018 at 08:44.
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:00   #52
BHPian

Congrats to Marquez for sealing the 5th title here, whereas in F1, the title fight has been postponed to one more race. He seems to riding on a different level than others on the paddock and sure he will smash all the MotoGP records in the future. I must also say that Dovizioso's crash is also influenced by Marquez' speed and Dovi will also acknowledge that.
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:15   #53
Team-BHP Support

And still 41% guys had voted in favor of Rossi. The 31% of the voters knew what was in offing.

Congratulations Marc Marquez. The GOAT has been replaced in my books at least.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And still 41% guys had voted in favor of Rossi. The 31% of the voters knew what was in offing.
I won't write off Rossi completely. Everyone knows Yamaha was nowhere close to being competitive to Ducati and Honda. With better bikes from Yamaha, the title battle would have been much more closely fought one. While Marquez will start as a huge favorite next year, I would like to believe Rossi will put up a tough challenge.

Last edited by manson : 24th October 2018 at 08:45.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Awesome stuff from Marquez. Great set of victories and now champion. Again. He will go on to break that fellows records. Dismantle them and throw them in the dust.

Nice to see that he is racing so much maturely now. Who wants handshakes when you can become champion!?!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 22:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Though I do not enjoy this much, I have to admit that Marquez really seems to ride like he is from another planet.

I say I don't enjoy it much - not because I hate Marquez, but such one-sided fights to the championship can kill the sport. The remaining 3 races will be held just because they have to be, and not because all eyes are on the tracks to see who gets to put their hands on the trophy - like how it was last year.

And a kind note to all MotoGP fanatics - Unlike the sports of Cricket or Football, where we get to have as much as 50% of a chance to see our team victorious, we have probably 15-20% max. So many champions on the grid, tyres proving to be a box of chocolates, a chance for a low-side or a high-side crash at every single corner, and the added dismay of someone else taking a rider out, we just cannot go blindly behind one single rider and hope to enjoy the season. I have my favourites too, but I have learnt to enjoy the sport, and the action it provides rather than just celebrate one rider's victory while fuming over a rival's rain of champagne. Cheers!
aravind.anand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 09:59   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I say I don't enjoy it much - not because I hate Marquez, but such one-sided fights to the championship can kill the sport. The remaining 3 races will be held just because they have to be, and not because all eyes are on the tracks to see who gets to put their hands on the trophy - like how it was last year.

While it is true that someone looking at points table will think that Marquez is competing against Moto2 riders, race-by-race developments paint a totally different picture. Lorenzo, Dovi and too some extent Rossi and Vinales all looked like contenders for championship at some point or other but it was Marquez who had maximum consistency and drive throughout the season. If Rossi & Vinales hadn't suffered due to bikes, if Dovi didn't have those retirements early in season, if Lorenzo had tank improvements earlier and then didn't suffer crash later, the championship would have looked very very different.

I actually found this season to be very competitive except for last 2-3 races when it became clear that Marquez had one hand on the championship.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:02   #58
BHPian

Haha. Love the hate here.

Congrats to the orange demi-god on another championship.

"That fellow's" records are STILL a long way off from MM, be it winning back to back premier class races on different machinery, 5 back to back world titles, and of course winning on more than one bike in the premier class, and many many more.

Might go on to do all this, might not! But then again, with mighty Honda bending all rules as much as they can, he has a good chance to do anything he likes.

There is only one GOAT, and try as anyone might, he can't be replaced!

Last edited by Parth46 : 24th October 2018 at 11:04.
Parth46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 15:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Pedrosa signs a two-year Test Rider contract with KTM.

Source: https://www.motorcyclesports.net/mot...ntract-in-ktm/

Good to know that Dani will still be around in the MotoGP universe and not walking away completely. Hope he can pull off a win some time this season to keep his record going. But looking at how Marc and Dovi are riding, seems very unlikely.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 11:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

As always, Philip Island was another wonderful and exciting spectacle for MotoGP

Yamaha shows a strong return to form - in style!

Vinales charges to the finish line 2s ahead of Andrea Iannone in 2nd who just managed to fend off Dovizioso. Solid ride from Bautista to finish in 4th after battling for the podium for a good length of the race.

Unfortunate for Zarco and Marc, though. Looked like Marc got back onto the racing line in haste, causing the contact. Much like the Lorenzo, Dovizioso and Pedrosa incide in Jerez earlier this season.

Reddit comments say Zarco was overly aggressive at the start of the race and should've rolled out when they were approaching the corner given the proximity between the pair.

Helicopter shot of the incident: https://streamable.com/gsgas

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 28th October 2018 at 11:33.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed