Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2018, 18:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla-based electric car racing series gets FIA approval

Electric Production Car Series (EPCS), the first all-electric, zero-emissions motorsport racing series promoted by Electric GT Holdings Inc. has got the approval from the International Automobile Federation (FIA). The approval comes after a successful crash test of the Tesla Model S P100D-based race car. The first race is scheduled to be held by the end of the year.

Competitors will race in identical machines. In race trim, the EGT Tesla P100DL 2.0 race car produces 778 BHP and 995 Nm. For qualifying, the electric motors will be turned up to 785 BHP. According to Electric GT, the race-spec car is 500 kg lighter than the stock Model S P100D. It is powered by a 100 kWh lithium-ion battery which offers a racing range of 90 km. The race car is claimed to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 2.1 seconds. Unlike the production car, the EPCS race car has a front splitter along with a rear wing to improve the cornering ability. It is equipped with OMP safety equipment, Alcon dual-circuit hydraulic race brakes, R53 pushrod suspension and BComp composite bodywork. Custom designed Pirelli P Zero slick and wet tyres will be used for the races.

Up to 20 racers will participate in 3-heat qualifying based races that will include day and dusk races of 60 km each. Additionally, on circuits where possible, a drift race will be organized between the top two finishers and two fan-voted drivers for extra championship points.

This FIA approval makes EPCS the second electric car based racing series after Formula E. The exact schedule as well as the locations for the races has not yet been finalized.

Tesla-based electric car racing series gets FIA approval-17112017a87i0145.jpg

Tesla-based electric car racing series gets FIA approval-17112017a87i0606.jpg

Tesla-based electric car racing series gets FIA approval-17112017a87i0590.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 4th February 2018 at 18:50.
blackwasp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 18:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla-based electric car racing series gets FIA approval

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2018 at 09:46.
QuickLink is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th February 2018, 08:15   #3
BANNED

Nice. Formule E and now Electric GT should further help accelerate the development of power storage tech, currently the major limitation.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 11:35   #4

This will bring in a new dimension in racing. Racing electric as opposed to gasoline will need a different skillset. Modulating accelerator instead of heavy breaking and much more aggressive corner handling of electric will challenge traditional gasoline drivers.
manishym is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 10:35   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I feel that some things are just not made for some applications. EVs aren't built for racing just as banks aren't suitable for selling groceries. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but whatever I've seen of Formula-E so far, it has been BORING.

IMHO, combustion engines will always have an important role in motorsports. Even 30 years down the line, when there are only EVs & fuel-cell cars on our roads, petrol engines will still be used in racing. But it'll be a niche application - like horse racing today. People still love horse racing & derbys, even if horses aren't our primary mode of transportation anymore!
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 14:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tesla-based electric car racing series gets FIA approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Nice. Formule E and now Electric GT should further help accelerate the development of power storage tech, currently the major limitation.

Amen!
Absolutely love the idea of an Electric GT series. But I hope they keep it open to other manufacturers as well and not make it a Tesla monopoly! Because nothing accelerates development like competition.

On a side note, I think they should have left the drift-off gimmick out. I was all happy about the series till I read about that part. I know I am in a minority when I say this, but that's just what I feel.

A little more detail about the drift-off:
That's not all. Once the race is finished, the top two drivers - along with a pair of fan-voted drivers - will face-off "at suitable circuits" in a drifting competition. Here, the four must complete a series of drifting challenges, and the winner walks away with a further three championship points. Frankly, this series couldn't start soon enough.
Source: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...-confirmed-fia

Last edited by shyn : 7th February 2018 at 14:29.
Old 7th February 2018, 14:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
But I hope they keep it open to other manufacturers as well and not make it a Tesla monopoly! Because nothing accelerates development like competition.
So while Formula 1 are struggling to justify the investment and the returns in terms of car sales, electric racing series could bring the adage "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" back into fashion!
Old 27th February 2020, 10:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I feel that some things are just not made for some applications. EVs aren't built for racing just as banks aren't suitable for selling groceries. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but whatever I've seen of Formula-E so far, it has been BORING.
Yeah, Formula e is boring especially because we're used to watching the likes of F1, Moto GP etc. There's also the fact that Formula e is held mostly in street circuits and not the iconic ones (with much longer straights and higher speeds).

I've always felt that electrification will feel much more at home in the WRC than open wheel racing. Then we can get proper spectacle in the iconic rally events, instead of a tamed event. The 2022 season will feature hybrid WRC cars for the first time!

Quote from a 'Motor Authority' article on hybrid WRC cars:
Quote:
The hybrid system needs to be powerful enough to allow the cars to run on electric power only when racing in urban areas, and then serve as an aid to an internal-combustion engine in other types of stages.

To create an even playing field, the system will feature components and software common to all teams for the first three years, with a view to providing greater freedoms to teams after the 2024 season.
To get over the straight line aspect, wonder why they are not using gearboxes in Formula e cars? Is it because the FIA wants to prove the existing tech to the consumers through the e Prix?

Most Viewed