Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 16:50   #46
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Hamilton signs two year extension contract with Mercedes. Not a surprise considering it is still the best car on grid.
With this the top 3 teams have one driver each confirmed for next 2 years.

Source
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 14:20   #47
BHPian

Bottas too confirms to Mercedes for 2019 with an option for 2020.

I guess there are no surprise moves with Ricciardo and Raikkonnen expected to extend their contracts with Red Bull and Ferrari respectively.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 13:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

Bit of a funny rumour doing the rounds. With Sergio Marchionne unable to continue as top boss of Ferrari, it is rumoured that Fernando Alonso's management (flavio briatore) has been asked to approach John Elkann (new Chairman) and Louis Camilleri (new CEO) to request for talks for a possible Ferrari seat. My mole is doing checks if its a valid story.
Fullrevs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 18:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1 team Sahara Force India has reportedly been bought by billionaire Lawrence Stroll, taking over from its Indian owners Vijay Mallya and Subrata Roy and Dutch business Michael Mol. Lawrence Stroll is also the father of F1 driver Lance Stroll who currently drives with Williams.

Interesting. Father of Lance Stroll has reportedly purchased a controlling stake in Sahara Force India
What a dad! Son couldn't get into any college, so he bought one!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 24th July 2018 at 18:37.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 16:02   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Sergio Perez-led action that put the Force India Formula 1 team into administration was instigated to give it the best chance of a credible survival plan.

Force India went into administration on Friday after action brought against the team by its driver Perez.

This was supported by creditors including Mercedes and team sponsor BWT.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...st-force-india
Old 29th July 2018, 12:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Bit of a funny rumour doing the rounds. With Sergio Marchionne unable to continue as top boss of Ferrari, it is rumoured that Fernando Alonso's management (flavio briatore) has been asked to approach John Elkann (new Chairman) and Louis Camilleri (new CEO) to request for talks for a possible Ferrari seat. My mole is doing checks if its a valid story.

With Seb in the Ferrari for the next 2 years, I doubt if Ferrari will get Alonso. No team would want to manage two such drivers, leave alone Ferrari. I highly doubt that this will ever happen.

What I foresee is that Ferrari retain Kimi, and to be fair to him, he has been doing the best that he has when you compare how he performed in the last 2-3 seasons. So Leclerc probably moves to Haas, leaving Grosjean out. And Sauber gets Giovanzi alongside maybe Ericsson. And this would remain status quo until the end of 2020, by the end of which there would be a massive shake up in the driver market. Potentially some guys like Lewis and Seb could even retire by the end of 2020. Quite possible. And then that would mean Ferrari and Merc try to get either of Max or Ricciardo, with the former most likely the hot property.
Old 30th July 2018, 10:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
With Seb in the Ferrari for the next 2 years, I doubt if Ferrari will get Alonso. No team would want to manage two such drivers, leave alone Ferrari. I highly doubt that this will ever happen.

What I foresee is that Ferrari retain Kimi, and to be fair to him, he has been doing the best that he has when you compare how he performed in the last 2-3 seasons. So Leclerc probably moves to Haas, leaving Grosjean out. And Sauber gets Giovanzi alongside maybe Ericsson. And this would remain status quo until the end of 2020, by the end of which there would be a massive shake up in the driver market. Potentially some guys like Lewis and Seb could even retire by the end of 2020. Quite possible. And then that would mean Ferrari and Merc try to get either of Max or Ricciardo, with the former most likely the hot property.
It definitely is a long shot for Alonso getting a Ferrari seat. However, Flavio is approaching Ferrari and its probable that nothing positive comes out of it for Alonso. New bosses, I guess he thinks he can impress and something may come out of it.

It does look like Kimi will have another year left with the team. He was pretty close to getting pole and maybe even a victory in Hungary.
Old 30th July 2018, 10:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It definitely is a long shot for Alonso getting a Ferrari seat. However, Flavio is approaching Ferrari and its probable that nothing positive comes out of it for Alonso. New bosses, I guess he thinks he can impress and something may come out of it.

It does look like Kimi will have another year left with the team. He was pretty close to getting pole and maybe even a victory in Hungary.
I don't think drivers with a larger than life persona will do well at Ferrari. And those that blow their own trumpet. So that excludes Alonso in the near term and Hamilton in the long term.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 30th July 2018, 14:02   #54
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Quote:

If this is true, it probably shows Alonso's desperation than anything else. He has burnt his bridges with Ferrari so I doubt Ferrari would consider him especially when they have Vettel for next few years. They even have Kimi who is doing a fine job at the moment. No top team would consider Alonso again unless they are desperate for a good driver, which rules out the top three teams at the moment.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 30th July 2018 at 14:04.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 17:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
If this is true, it probably shows Alonso's desperation than anything else. He has burnt his bridges with Ferrari so I doubt Ferrari would consider him especially when they have Vettel for next few years. They even have Kimi who is doing a fine job at the moment. No top team would consider Alonso again unless they are desperate for a good driver, which rules out the top three teams at the moment.
Spot on SilentEngine! It is a desperate attempt by Alonso and his management. Moving full time to LMP1 is going to be a drop in pay, fame all sorts.

Another option is to look for 2020. Kimi will sign only for one more year i.e. 2019.
Old 31st July 2018, 17:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

This is how the 2019 front wing look like :
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season-djbdwhaxoaa7wt5.jpeg  

Old 1st August 2018, 01:30   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
This is how the 2019 front wing look like :
Sometimes I feel FIA and FOM are unnecessarily reactive.

We are only into second year of the current regulations and teams have definitely caught up and constantly improving. At this stage, if they go back and introduce something completely new, it is going to set every team back.

Before 2017, it was all about increased downforce and now they're going back right when the playing field is being levelled. It is crazy.
Old 2nd August 2018, 20:54   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
Sometimes I feel FIA and FOM are unnecessarily reactive.

We are only into second year of the current regulations and teams have definitely caught up and constantly improving. At this stage, if they go back and introduce something completely new, it is going to set every team back.

Before 2017, it was all about increased downforce and now they're going back right when the playing field is being levelled. It is crazy.
Its all in interest of overtaking. The front wing is the culprit, creating turbulent air. Simpler one will help car follow, and aid over taking.
Old 3rd August 2018, 11:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Frankly Vettel making too many mistakes to win a championship that is so close. Alonso is definitely needed.

Unfortunately Alonso has left on bad terms and a reconciliation high unlikely.
Shame he let Flavio connive and manipulate teams on his behalf all these years.

But ask anyone at Indy, and he's a new man. I believe he's changed for sure. Learnt from mistakes in the past.
Old 3rd August 2018, 17:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

The silly season just got sillier.

Daniel Ricciardo leaves Red Bull racing for Renault!
http://www.espn.in/f1/story/_/id/242...renault-switch

Now why would he do that. Hope he hasnt left in a huff.

Prime Red Bull seat now up for grabs. Is Sainz that lucky?
Hatari is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed