Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2018, 14:30   #121
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Given how recent weeks have gone by, not surprised that Kimi will not be in Ferrari next year, but what's shocking is that he will be driving for Sauber next year!

Obviously Kimi wanted to continue in F1/Ferrari but probably Ferrari played their dirty tricks again by delaying their decisions to make sure Kimi doesn't get a competitive seat for next year.

EDIT:
How will the rest of races play out? Will he support Vettel or will he be his own man like in Monza?
Seriously, Kimi deserved better from Ferrari. Hope he remains their last champion forever.

Last edited by manson : 11th September 2018 at 18:20.
Old 11th September 2018, 14:46   #122
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
How will the rest of races play out? Will he support Vettel or will he be his own man like in Monza?
Seriously, Kimi deserved better from Ferrari. Hope he remains their last champion forever.
IMO, he should just try to win races or outscore his team mate, he has nothing to loose and can gain some records to his name, since it may be the last time he will be driving a car capable of winning a championship. Ferrari can give him all the team orders they want, but like Vettel he can choose to disobey them.

Last edited by manson : 11th September 2018 at 18:20.
Old 11th September 2018, 15:35   #123
BHPian

Hope, in Sauber, Kimi could replicate his success with Lotus team on his return to F1 after the gap earlier. So, is it confirmed that Ericsson will be his team mate in Sauber or is that seat still open?
Old 11th September 2018, 15:47   #124
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season-imageuploadedbyteambhp1536660680.790077.jpg
This is how Kimi tweeted his decision. He will be driving for Sauber for next two years.

There also some news reports which suggest he may have taken some ownership in the team, which could be true. Kimi already has some history with lower rungs of racing with Raikkonen-Robertson Racing team, so it wouldn't be out of order to see him continue in F1, beyond his racing career.
Old 11th September 2018, 16:48   #125
Senior - BHPian

Well, what a day! Kimi moving out of Ferrari was a news floating around every year, for the last 3-4 years now, but him moving to Sauber was just out of the blue! I did read some theories same as this online, but most credible reports were either that he will stay or he will walk away from F1. Why he chose to move to Sauber is big question. And to make this interesting, few other reports are stating that Kimi wants to own a piece of Sauber in the future, and hence this move!
Old 11th September 2018, 20:47   #126
Senior - BHPian

There is theory that was published yesterday that although Leclerc will join Ferrari, he won't be driving until 2020, this is when Raikkonen and Leclerc will swap places.

This also makes a bit of sense, especially after reading that he will be at Sauber for 2 more years. At 40, he has nothing to prove, and certainly won't be at front driving for a midfield team.

Source: https://www.beyondtheflag.com/2018/0...itch-2020/amp/

I think there is more at play here than simple swap. Sauber can't afford a Raikonnen. Ferrari may call Kimi back to Ferrari, if Leclerc doesn't live upto expectation, or tension arise between Charles and Sebastian.
Old 11th September 2018, 21:15   #127
Senior - BHPian

I am glad this has happened! Kimi will get the respect he deserves at Sauber. I just hope he gets atop that elusive top step at least once this season.

And at Ferrari, this tells us that it is not going all his way for Vettel. I am quite sure all those high profile mistakes and red mist hasn't helped him at all.

And watch out Vettel! LeClerc is not coming there to be #2. I am fully expecting the team dynamics at 2014 RBR.
Old 11th September 2018, 21:55   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Given how recent weeks have gone by, not surprised that Kimi will not be in Ferrari next year, but what's shocking is that he will be driving for Sauber next year!

Obviously Kimi wanted to continue in F1/Ferrari but probably Ferrari played their dirty tricks again by delaying their decisions to make sure Kimi doesn't get a competitive seat for next year.

EDIT:

With all due respect to Kimi, do you think he is that dumb to be played by Ferrari? He must be having a big management team and all folks who advise him on all these matters. I do not think any other team was actually interested in him. No team wants a 40 year old driver who is very inconsistent and lacks motivation. His personality may be something fans love, but I do not see what teams will get by paying him big bucks.

This deal with Sauber has other angles. Some reports state that Kimi wants a stake in Sauber. And it might also be that since Ferrari has heavily invested in Sauber thru the Alfa Romeo route, they might want to make the team stronger next season and would have offered to pay Kimi the same money for the next 2 seasons to be in a Sauber and he would have taken it! And there might be some hidden clauses in the Leclerc contract, if he does not perform in 2019, then may he moves back to Sauber and Kimi swaps to Ferrari in 2020. So lot of underlying clauses that we do not know.

But one thing is for sure, Kimi has moved to Sauber willingly, for money or just to race or for some business deal that we do not know.
Old 11th September 2018, 21:56   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

And watch out Vettel! LeClerc is not coming there to be #2. I am fully expecting the team dynamics at 2014 RBR.
2014 RBR doesn't quote the correct picture. Its well documented that Vettel drove the way he did, so that he can escape using performance clause.
Although Leclerc is quick, he doesn't look like the harmony disruptive type. As long as he keeps it clean, they can manage good relation.
Old 11th September 2018, 22:22   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Its well documented that Vettel drove the way he did, so that he can escape using performance clause.
I think Vettel was soundly beaten by Dani boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Although Leclerc is quick, he doesn't look like the harmony disruptive type. As long as he keeps it clean, they can manage good relation.
Can Vettel keep his cool when he is slower? Or beaten on track?

Guess we are going to find out soon!
Old 11th September 2018, 23:28   #131
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
With all due respect to Kimi, do you think he is that dumb to be played by Ferrari? He must be having a big management team and all folks who advise him on all these matters. I do not think any other team was actually interested in him. No team wants a 40 year old driver who is very inconsistent and lacks motivation. His personality may be something fans love, but I do not see what teams will get by paying him big bucks.
No doubt Kimi is smarter and obviously privy to information which we can only speculate from here.
As for his recent form, he is neither inconsistent nor lacks any motivation. He is performing at his best ever since his return to Ferrari. Would any other teams be interested in him? May be Renault would have taken him if he was available before they signed Ricciardo. Again, we can only speculate here.
Also I believe, people are underestimating what he brings to the team. I would like to believe he had his part to play to bring Ferrari back to where they are now.

Quote:
But one thing is for sure, Kimi has moved to Sauber willingly, for money or just to race or for some business deal that we do not know.

You are probably right. It could be Kimi's way of helping the team that launched him in F1, by helping the team improve and become a strong midfield team.
Old 12th September 2018, 09:25   #132
BHPian

I think we should be celebrating to see Kimi freed from the pressure of bowing down to team pressure. We would be seeing him battling an under performing car and extracting every ounce of performance from the car.

Among the articles in the intewebs i came across this very delightful image of the 2001 season F1 rookies. Among the most entertaining F1 drivers, we had 3 debuting that year.

Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season-i.jpeg
rohitoasis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 07:19   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
I think we should be celebrating to see Kimi freed from the pressure of bowing down to team pressure. We would be seeing him battling an under performing car and extracting every ounce of performance from the car.

<snip>
Attachment 1798367
This is a little confusing. At present he is in an at-par (or arguably an over performing one) car and getting sub-par results. How can we expect him to do more in an under performing car? You can't always go back to team pressure and team blunders to justify why Kimi failed to win in a Ferrari in this decade.

I have followed Kimi since his debut, fearing him as a potential rival to Schumi. The Kimi of the early 2000's or 2007 is gone, its just a shell of his formal self in racing overalls, the fire remains only in his laconic one liners. The way he yields to the Mercs and the Red Bulls these days would cause grief to those who have noticed him in the 2000s. Personally I feel that he should have retired from Ferrari and leave the racing to the young ones fresh with the desire to win.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 09:40   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
At present he is in an at-par (or arguably an over performing one) car and getting sub-par results. .
Fair point. Taken. But i think the negativity does get to you. When the team expects you to do nothing more than the role defined for you. Happens in any career. People make life changing career moves under such pressure. Forget high stakes game of Formula 1.

Quote:
I have followed Kimi since his debut, fearing him as a potential rival to Schumi.
Been on the other side, waiting for him to get that Mclaren to behave under him. Prayed for him while he nursed his flatspotted tyre around in the European Grand Prix and jumped with elation when he won at Suzuka from all the way back.

Quote:
Personally I feel that he should have retired from Ferrari and leave the racing to the young ones fresh with the desire to win.
Would make a good business decision. But call me a romantic. If Walter Rohrl can show the world a thing of two about racing as a 40 year old. So could Kimi. I will still believe that there are at least a few more memorable races left in this old mare. I will wait for those moments of Magic.

Last edited by rohitoasis : 13th September 2018 at 09:47.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 10:14   #135
BANNED

I think the decision by Ferrari to replace Kimi with Leclerc has more to do with doubts over Seb's capabilities rather than Kimi's. All these past years, Ferrari didn't have a machine to be competitive, and Seb was enjoying a Halo image. But as soon as the car got competitive, Seb's weaknesses started showing and he is consistently giving signs that he is losing the edge.
But, since he has a contract till 2020, Ferrari couldn't risk a good car paired to two less than par talent. Hence, the deal with Leclerc, if Seb falters again he can play second fiddle to Leclerc.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks