Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2018, 10:51   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
After Lando Norris, George Russell wil also make the step-up to Formula 1 next season with Williams.
So, Stroll in Force India is definite, for 2019. Good they're not changing the FI line-up for 2018.

I do wonder about the state of Williams' finances. They're losing Stroll (the money, not the driver ), and their Martini sponsorship at the end of 2018.

I do hope that Mercedes have placed Russell at Williams, along with an infusion of funds.

I also wonder what becomes of Ocon? Will Toto put his money where his mouth is, and place (demote) Ocon to Williams as well? That would effectively make Williams a B-team, similar to Sauber, and leave FI and Haas as allied-but-still-independent teams.
arunphilip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 12:51   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
So, Stroll in Force India is definite, for 2019. Good they're not changing the FI line-up for 2018.

I do wonder about the state of Williams' finances. They're losing Stroll (the money, not the driver ), and their Martini sponsorship at the end of 2018.

I do hope that Mercedes have placed Russell at Williams, along with an infusion of funds.

I also wonder what becomes of Ocon? Will Toto put his money where his mouth is, and place (demote) Ocon to Williams as well? That would effectively make Williams a B-team, similar to Sauber, and leave FI and Haas as allied-but-still-independent teams.
There is a rumour that Kubica will be replacing Sirotkin for the other seat as he secured necessary funding. Also, with Russell, Williams will be paying less for Mercedes engine in 2019 and that means they may be unofficially the B team for Mercedes.

Ocon seems to be unwilling to commit to Williams and seems to be content with Mercedes test driver for 2019 and is eyeing the seat of Bottas at the end of 2019 when the latter's contract is up for renewal.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 14:19   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
There is a rumour that Kubica will be replacing Sirotkin for the other seat as he secured necessary funding. Also, with Russell, Williams will be paying less for Mercedes engine in 2019 and that means they may be unofficially the B team for Mercedes.

Ocon seems to be unwilling to commit to Williams and seems to be content with Mercedes test driver for 2019 and is eyeing the seat of Bottas at the end of 2019 when the latter's contract is up for renewal.

Do not know about the Kubica story though, he himself had commented recently that his chances of driving in F1 in 2019 are very less. And Sirotkin brings in quite a bit sponsorship. Secondary, unlike Stroll, Sirotkin has been spoken about as a capable driver. The only reason Williams need Kubica is for his inputs, which I think may be a small factor since he is not so accustomed to the Hybrid era cars anyway.

I wonder why Kubica has been adamant about only F1 and has not tried any other series. If he is not picked by Williams for 2019, he would have wasted another year waiting in the sidelines. Given, F1 is the pinnacle, but considering his age and all that, he should move on.
Old 18th October 2018, 21:03   #154
BHPian

Force India confirms Sergio Perez for the 2019 F1 season.

Link

With this announcement, only 3 more seats are left to be confirmed, one each at Force India, Torro Rosso and Williams. Remaining Force India will most probably be taken by Lance Stroll.
Old 21st November 2018, 15:53   #155
BHPian

Quote:
There is a rumour that Kubica will be replacing Sirotkin for the other seat as he secured necessary funding.
Seems like the rumour comes true - Kubica returns to F1 after 8 long years.

Source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/k...-2019/4301134/
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:06   #156
Senior - BHPian

Robert Kubica - Comeback of The Century - Coming Home 2019

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 12:18   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I also wonder what becomes of Ocon?
Quote:
Another one comes true - Ocon confirmed as Mercedes' test and third driver for 2019, which means Bottas' seat for 2020 is hanging in balance.

Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...SsO4OoC88.html
Old 24th November 2018, 16:12   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another one comes true - Ocon confirmed as Mercedes' test and third driver for 2019, which means Bottas' seat for 2020 is hanging in balance.
As you rightly predicted last month!

Sigh, more of team orders in 2019. I thought it was Ferrari that was supposed to be the team orders guys!
arunphilip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 12:38   #159
Senior - BHPian

Really happy for Robert Kubica earning a seat at Williams for 2019. Hope he's back to his best. He's one driver that was destined for a lot in F1 but sadly lost out.

He's probably bringing some funding to Williams. Makes me wonder though, how long can Mrs. Williams keep the outfit running? They need a link to some big car manufacturer like they did with BMW at the turn of the millennium.
Fullrevs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 15:29   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Makes me wonder though, how long can Mrs. Williams keep the outfit running? They need a link to some big car manufacturer like they did with BMW at the turn of the millennium.
They're hanging on with pay drivers (and drivers who bring sponsorship) until 2021-2023, when Liberty is expected to bring out a fairer payment structure and budget caps.

Of course, at the same time, they need to improve their WCC standings - staying last means they will receive the least payout (though I think Williams still gets a heritage team payment).

Last edited by navin : 26th November 2018 at 15:43. Reason: typo
Old 26th November 2018, 16:06   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Robert Kubica - Comeback of The Century - Coming Home 2019
I am not an F1 expert but other than Niki Lauda and Jonny Herbert are there any other drivers that came back from serious injury?
Old 26th November 2018, 16:13   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I am not an F1 expert but other than Niki Lauda and Jonny Herbert are there any other drivers that came back from serious injury?
Felipe Massa is a recent one that comes to mind - he was hit in the head by a spring from the Brawn car in the 2009 Hungarian GP, with an amount of brain damage. He sat out the rest of the year and returned to Ferrari the following season (although he seemed to have lost some of his fire).

The outcome of that injury also led to revised safety features in helmets - stronger visors, Kevlar strips on the top of the visor, and a shorter opening.

It has also added fuel to the debate of halo vs. windshield, since the former doesn't protect from such small projectiles (and could even deflect it towards the driver), the latter protects from such small projectiles but is useless against heavier projectiles like a loose wheel.

PS: Thank you for correcting my typo.

Last edited by arunphilip : 26th November 2018 at 16:14.
arunphilip is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 07:06   #163
BHPian

Alexander Albon replaces Hartley in Toro Rosso for 2019.

Source: https://www.skysports.com/amp/f1/new...artley-in-2019
Old 27th November 2018, 09:47   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Mika Hakkinen is your best example. He not only came back from life-threatening injuries sustained in 1995, but went on to be a two-time world champion.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 12:11   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Mika Hakkinen is your best example. He not only came back from life-threatening injuries sustained in 1995, but went on to be a two-time world champion.
Aha I missed that maybe because Mika did not miss too many races. I think he did not even miss a season.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks