re: Formula 1: The 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix

Finally Lewis pops his at Baku!!
This will do wonders for his morale.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 19:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Telegraph.co.uk says..

"Hamilton will be pleased with this win but it's hard to say he'll be delighted"

Agree with the statement. Same reflected in Hamilton's after race statement.

"Really quite an emotional race. Valtteri did such an exceptional job today and really deserved to have the win. It feels a little bit odd to be up here but I have to take it. "

Overall a chaotic race. Full marks to Raikkonen for an amazing drive. Hamilton leading the championship.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 20:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1: The 2018 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

Anyone heard of 5 second penalty for Perez? I saw it on fb just now.

Update: Ignore this- seems like He served it already.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 29th April 2018 at 20:12.
Old 29th April 2018, 20:16   #19
BHPian

Lady luck teased Bottas and then slapped him right across the face. What a turn of luck for Bottas.

For me the majority of the race was the fantastic show put up by Max and Ric till they ended up colliding. That was really heartbreaking. Their tussle was really engaging.

I feel for Vettel. With ultimately Bottas not finishing, he must be rueing the move he made.

I don't think Hamilton did a single overtake the entire race nor was he in control during some periods of the race. Yet he ends up winning. Strange! Happy for Kimi too. Second position from practically last position, GO KIMIIII!!!
nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 20:31   #20
BHPian

So when do the kid gloves of the F1 media come off and Verstappen gets called "Crash"tappen

Its sacrilege to make double move on the braking and to do it on your own team mate - thats blasphemy.This is not the first time we have seen such double moves from him and this being his 4th season it can no longer be a rookie mistake.Check this video feed from F1. Ricciardo sold him the dummy of taking the outside line,Max covers that and when Ricciardo switches back to inside line,he moves again.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/990595215978196992

I am sure when Hamilton rates his Top step finishes,he would rank this one the last.He won it alright,but not without any effort from his own.But,end of the day,when records are looked at he will be the winner at Baku 2018.Thats all that matters.Given the way the championship table was before start of the race,he would be delighted that he is going away from Baku leading the table.

Last edited by jraj : 29th April 2018 at 20:34.
jraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 20:43   #21
Team-BHP Support

Initially I was thinking that Daniel was the one at fault. It looked like he was over optimistic.

After seeing the replays post race, it looks like the opposite. Verstappen moved twice and confused the hell out of Daniel. On the second swerve he left no place for Daniel to go and then on top of that it looks to me he braked a few metres before than he needed to. You can clearly see that Daniel locked up and was desperately trying to prevent the crash but Verstappen had already slowed down by then.

Verstappen saw Ricciardo go outside then blocked him, then saw him go on the inside and then went there, finally he braked sooner cutting off all options to Daniel.

http://crashstappen.com/

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2018 at 13:31. Reason: Replacing dead video url
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 21:58   #22
BHPian

Boy.. that was some race. Pretty gutted for Vettel and Bottas and damn lucky Lewis. Looks like KIMI cannot catch a break.

Someone needs to talk some sense into Max. Today was perfect recipe for disaster with Ricciardo dive bombing and Max waving under break. If I remember correctly Max did same with Kimi in 2016 Hungary or Spa. RedBull management seem to be mighty pissed.

Update: Looks like both Dan n Max got a way with a reprimand by FIA.

Last edited by arun_kun : 29th April 2018 at 22:05.
arun_kun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 22:03   #23
BHPian

Daniel must be wondering how many times he must overtake Max. He overtook him atleast once before, only for Max to reclaim back the position aggressively. Then he finally makes it stick and gets to the pit lane first after building a fair lead. Max pits and comes in front thanks to cold new tires of Daniel. Man, that had to annoy Daniel a fair bit. Pretty exciting season ahead for the RedBulls.

IMO, Daniel didn't have enough space to go on the inside. He could have waited a couple of laps. Then again, he is the racing driver and I am not. :-)
nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 23:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

That was one race with a lot of ups and downs.
Ricciardo finally overtakes Max, only to be undercut by the pit stops. Tries again and runs right under his teammate's car. Max should start giving more respect to other drivers on the track.
Grosjean crashes under safety car. That's something you dont see very often.
Force India overtakes a Ferrari!! I leapt out of my chair when that happened!
I am starting to think that Vettel is a very good driver but he is not a very good racer, is he?
Old 29th April 2018, 23:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I am starting to think that Vettel is a very good driver but he is not a very good racer, is he?
Yeah, four world championships just shows how bad a racer he actually is.
ecenandu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 23:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1: The 2018 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

Had Bottas won, he would have been leading the WDC standings! But now he is 4th, 30 points off. That will surely hurt, to lose 25 points for no fault of yours.

Quite an eventful race overall.

Red Bull - not sure what the team's thinking is. Was today's race an indication that Ricciardo is out of the team already?

Grosjean - crashing behind safety car!

Kimi - some luck his way at the end.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 30th April 2018 at 00:01.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 07:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Yeah, four world championships just shows how bad a racer he actually is.
Not a very good racer != a bad racer. Simply not a very good racer.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings there. I just can't even start to imagine Perez's joy on overtaking a 4 times world champion for a podium finish
Old 30th April 2018, 09:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Not a very good racer != a bad racer. Simply not a very good racer.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings there. I just can't even start to imagine Perez's joy on overtaking a 4 times world champion for a podium finish
Perez was able to overtake Seb only because vettel had a flat spot in his tyre after locking up trying to overtake Bottas.
Incase you don't know flat spot in a tyre creates lots of vibration and the driver loses stability on the car.
Since the race had just restarted after safety car all the drivers were behind one another so it didn't take time for Perez to take advantage of vettels misfortune.
Although you could say he could have just sat and waited for another safety car or just settled for a P2, he's a racing driver he's obviously not just gonna sit there.

FYI even Lewis had to pit early because of locking up and flat spotting his tyre very early in the race. It was very ugly.
Even a 4 time world champion is bound to make mistakes dear sir.

And by the way guys I'm leading in our Team-bhp fantasy league

Last edited by glikithvinayaka : 30th April 2018 at 09:27.
glikithvinayaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 10:20   #29

Now that was a proper race !!!
Baku is arguably the best street circuit out there - enough opportunities to cause some mayhem and that endless straight is a DRS wet dream.

Vettel should have won comfortably - several things went against him; some of his own volition. The most obvious is the Redbull fiasco (I blame Daniel) allowing Bottas to take advantage. What is not so obvious is Ferrari's tyre strategy - why did they put Vettel on Softs instead of Ultra softs with 20 laps to go? Surely Vettel could have made those last and then he wouldn't have had to make another stop under the safety car or attempt ambitious overtaking moves. Grosjean's oops moment didn't help either - extending the safety car run.

Lucky winners - Hamilton, Raikonnen and Perez - neither should've finished where they did. Kimi didn't seem like he was interested in anything more than a 6th place.

Bottas will feel gutted - he did everything right.

Notwithstanding the final result, the Renault powered cars provided all the excitement in the race - from the initial tussle between the Redbulls and the factory Renault team down to the dance of death between the Redbulls. This was racing as it used to be in the late 20th century.

Here's hoping the remaining Eurpoean races aren't a snoozefest.
DigitalNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 10:40   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Initially I was thinking that Daniel was the one at fault. It looked like he was over optimistic.

After seeing the replays post race, it looks like the opposite. Verstappen moved twice and confused the hell out of Daniel. On the second swerve he left no place for Daniel to go and then on top of that it looks to me he braked a few metres before than he needed to. You can clearly see that Daniel locked up and was desperately trying to prevent the crash but Verstappen had already slowed down by then.

Verstappen saw Ricciardo go outside then blocked him, then saw him go on the inside and then went there, finally he braked sooner cutting off all options to Daniel.

http://crashstappen.com/

If you take the lane markers as reference, it doesn't appear as though Max moved that much - Daniel's exaggerated moves give that illusion. Any other driver would have done exactly what Max did to defend his position.
The problem here is - and this is my interpretation - Daniel was so engrossed in his overtaking maneuvers that he lost sight of the fast approaching corner and missed his braking point. Max had a clear view of the corner and braked - Daniel didn't.
It is hard to imagine a driver braking early knowing that it would certainly cause a fender-bender.
DigitalNomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks