Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2018, 11:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 Spanish Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Aren't the yellow marked tyres the "Soft" ones? The white being the "medium" apart from the red being the "supersoft" are the others available for this weekend.
Yes, by definition. For this race, Yellow is the medium compound out of the 3 available choices.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Mercedes and Ferrari both start on the same Yellow walled medium compound tyres, on which they posted best times in Q2.
Attachment 1760244
Ah yeah. I always get that rule wrong. Seeing that the Ferraris were faster on the softs in Q2 are there chances that this could adversely impact Mercedes strategy on the softs?

Last year most drivers did a two stop race. I guess with the reduced tread depth on the Pirellis this weekend the extended running that cars were able to do on softs and mediums in the past couple of races may not be possible.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 13th May 2018, 12:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I guess with the reduced tread depth on the Pirellis this weekend~~~~`

Drive on,
Shibu
Aren't they running on slicks for a while now? What tread depth are you referring to? Are you referring to the intermediate or wet tyres?
Old 13th May 2018, 18:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aren't they running on slicks for a while now? What tread depth are you referring to? Are you referring to the intermediate or wet tyres?
No I meant that they have reduced the thickness of the rubber on those compounds apparently in consultation with FIA to reduce excessive heat build up.
Old 13th May 2018, 20:36   #20
BHPian

Spanish GP Race Classification

Formula 1: The 2018 Spanish Grand Prix-1526223786706.jpg

Mercedes put up a very good show. On the other Ferrari messing their strategy and bad luck for Kimi was a bad day at work.
Looks like these new tyres are showing good stability for the mercs.
And another excellent drive by Charles finishing in the points.

Last edited by manson : 14th May 2018 at 19:01. Reason: Typo.
glikithvinayaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 20:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

A really dominant drive from Lewis and Mercedes to win. Not sure whether the tyres really unlocked the performance but it sure did not hurt.

Ferrari's strategy with Vettel looked really strange. They seemed to be quite concerned with the tyre wear which based on their stint in Bahrain, doing a one stop on mediums was quite doable. To me it looks like they have to get a grip else this year's challenge is going to be still born. I really looked forward to a resurgence from them.

Leclerc really impressed especially his defense with Alonso behind.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 21:10   #22
BHPian

Good to see Mercedes discovering some pace this weekend. Whether the change in tires of the upgrades this weekend, they have now taken the fight to Ferrari and how!

Didn't understand Ferrari's strategy today, was surprised that while Bottas' garage was able to move him from a 2-stop to a 1-stop strategy, Ferrari wasn't able to cope / adjust. Hard luck for Kimi as well, surprising how he seems to be on the receiving end of Ferrari's iffy reliability always.

Impressive driving by Sainz and Le Clerc, hopefully they can get a seat with one of the top teams next year?
phoenixash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 03:11   #23
BHPian

The adjustment of Pirelli tread for the 3 resurfaced tracks seem to be affecting Ferrari adversely and played into the hands of the Merc. It was Merc which made too much noise on the overheating tyres.
Race at Montreal would prove if that theory is right or not.

Having said that both the Merc drivers drove brilliantly, especially Lewis. He never put a foot wrong.

Even if Seb hadn't made that second stop, he would have been reigned in by Bottas once the VSC period ended. Ferrari really struggled with the tyres here.

Last edited by jraj : 14th May 2018 at 03:13.
jraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 08:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The tires are thinner by 0.4 millimeters for the Spanish GP. The Pirelli logic is that this will reduce the heat accumulation that was experienced by Mercedes during the preseason testing in Barcelona. Sunday's outcome is the impact 0.4 millimeters less of rubber.

As expected, there are no screams of foul play by the 9 other teams and their supporters. Imagine if Pirelli did it for Ferrari!
sun_king is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 10:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

New tire compounds and the table have turned! Mercedes back in the sweet spot and Ferrari suffering.

Lewis's first stint looked like he was on a 2 stop, Vettel has no answer to that pace.

Very impressed with Haas this season, to be so much quicker than a Renault and an updated McLaren is top stuff.

Just shows that you dont need to spend the millions to be competitive, spending smart is key.

Only pity is Grosjean's love for doing it sideways.

Great to watch Alonso go around the outside to overtake. Continues to teach the rookies a lesson, even on restarts.
Old 14th May 2018, 12:24   #26
BHPian

Apparently vettel had issues with his rear tyre, forcing him to pit which eventually cost him a podium.

Quote:

VET had to come in apparently as he had an issue with his REAR tyres - forced into the pit stop which cost him a podium. Not a strategy call as such #F1
Source
Old 14th May 2018, 13:00   #27
BHPian

I hope this race doesn't set the tone for the rest of the year with Hamilton back to doing what he does best, i.e. racing alone in the lead!

Next up is Monaco where there won't be much to see in terms of performance (I find the race boring) so might be a chance for Vettel to catch up.
Old 14th May 2018, 13:26   #28
BHPian

Absolutely livid with myself for having Grosjean in my fantasy team. What was I thinking? Also, what was he thinking? Creating that smokescreen!

Gutted that Vettel didn't end up on the podium. I thought he was on track for second. Would have been interesting had it rained.

Flawless drive by Hamilton. The gap he put between himself and Bottas was too good.
Old 14th May 2018, 14:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
I hope this race doesn't set the tone for the rest of the year with Hamilton back to doing what he does best, i.e. racing alone in the lead!

Next up is Monaco where there won't be much to see in terms of performance (I find the race boring) so might be a chance for Vettel to catch up.
Expect the Red bulls to be strong in Monaco. It could suit their car well.
Old 14th May 2018, 14:32   #30
BANNED

I hope the Ferraris get their sang froid back in the next race. At the moment they are going like a lost pair. Not the Big F in the Schimi days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks