Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 11:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka View Post
The Chequered flag was waved at 68 laps and not 69 laps.

2018 Canadian Grand Prix - Provisional Classification (68 laps)

Wasn't it supposed to be 70 laps? Flag was waved after 69 laps and race results considers only 68 laps!
It also means Ricciardo doesn't get the FLAP (loss for those with him in F1F team).
Old 11th June 2018, 12:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Wasn't it supposed to be 70 laps? Flag was waved after 69 laps and race results considers only 68 laps!
It also means Ricciardo doesn't get the FLAP (loss for those with him in F1F team).
Under the regulations, a premature waving of the chequered flag results in the final standings being determined by the positions at the end of the previous lap -- in this case 68.

Charlie Whiting explains-
Quote:

"It's gone back to Lap 68 because that's what the regulations require," Whiting said. "The reason for doing that really is to make sure if there was some confusion over it then if you go back to the previous lap you will get a true race classification.

"It's like when a race is stopped and can't be restarted, you take it back prior to the lap where the red flag was given."
glikithvinayaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 12:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 Canadian Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka View Post
Under the regulations, a premature waving of the chequered flag results in the final standings being determined by the positions at the end of the previous lap -- in this case 68.

Charlie Whiting explains-
Luckily no change of positions happened in last two laps at the top. Imagine if Verstappen had managed to overtake Bottas, and then to have it taken away because of this!
Old 11th June 2018, 13:14   #19
BANNED

It was a dull race. Vettel led from the front till the end. I do have two comments. Vettel stopped more than half way for his only stop. Remember the first half with a higher load is tougher on the tyres. So are we getting tyres which are too durable. Also, taking out the last bit was Mercedes not changing the engine, while most others (including Ferrari) did. So it was almost a cake walk. Became almost a procession.

As for the two circuits shorter race, could have been hitting the two hour wall.

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th June 2018 at 13:15.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 13:46   #20
BHPian

Very happy for Vettel. Great result for him. I am also very much liking the battle between Leclerc and Alonso through this season.

However, I am slightly baffled at Kimi's performance. He was less than a second away from Lewis but didn't push him hard enough IMO. He was pretty soon 5 seconds away. Also making mistakes consistently in Q3, Kimi really has to up his game.

Solid drives by Bottas and Max too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
So are we getting tyres which are too durable.
Couldn't agree more. I read a comment on another forum which called for other tyre manufacturers to compete against Pirelli(essentially a Tyre constructors championship) and for more tyre degradation to keep the race interesting.

Last edited by nair : 11th June 2018 at 13:50.
Old 11th June 2018, 14:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

2018 Canadian Grand Prix: Race Highlights

Old 11th June 2018, 17:32   #22
MCR
BHPian

A very boring Canadian GP! Add to that the Lewis Hamilton Fanboy commentators.
The broadcasting was equally bad, showing in-consequential shots when there were some important pit stops (Raikonnen) and overtaking (Alonso on Lecrec just after pit stop).
I am surprised that McLaren are now singing a different tune and claiming that their car is not quick around the corners! Pretty bad for Alonso though.

Overall, I feel that F1 is going down the hill quickly with some absurd rules.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 11:17   #23
BHPian

An extremely boring race. Further, given that it was past midnight (in India) by the time the race started, I did not bother watching post the pit stops as there didn't seem to be any action at the top of the grid.

While FIA management is trying to bring down costs to make sure teams are able to sustain, they're making Formula1 an extremely boring sport to watch. With drivers having to manage engines for the next race, managing tyre wear and saving fuel, the actual racing has taken a backseat.

Most races this year have been won on pit-stop strategy or pitting under the safety car (or just by the grid position in qualifying itself) rather than old-school racing.

Last edited by phoenixash : 13th June 2018 at 11:19. Reason: Correcting typo's
phoenixash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 16:10   #24
BHPian

Did anyone notice Max casually positioning his car about half a foot ahead of the yellow line next to his box on the starting grid? From what I understand, the tyre must be over (in contact) or behind this line.

Have a look, compare this to how Valtteri, Kimi, Daniel, even Seb have their cars placed. I was surprised Max wasn't penalised for this.
Formula 1: The 2018 Canadian Grand Prix-maxbot.jpg
Formula 1: The 2018 Canadian Grand Prix-rairic.jpg

You can watch the video at (skip to 1:59 for the clip): https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...om_Canada.html

And yes, an extremely boring race, despite there being three DRS zones, a joke really.

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 13th June 2018 at 16:36. Reason: added additional reference
Old 13th June 2018, 18:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

I recorded this race on the DVR. I am not going to delete it. Any time I have trouble sleeping, I will put this race on. It will definitely put me to sleep in 5 minutes.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 18:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

While it may not have been quite as eventful as some of the other races, I did enjoy the race. The potential play out of the strategies, the uncertainity of the tyre degradation and the feeling that give the reliability ask for the engines this season did mean that anything could happen.

For once Vettel had a race where he controlled the pace from start to finish. Bottas defence of the challenge from Verstappen into the first corner and the next couple of corners was great. Kimi's mistake was in Q3 and give the drivers in front there was nothing much he could do other than perhaps fend of Riccardo a bit more. Again given that Riccardo started on the sticker tyre he would have had much more grip. I did have some hope in the pitstop but Hamilton just pipped him to it, to deny Kimi 5th. All that after being the faster of the Ferrari's all through practice.

To me the biggest loser was Hartley. After doing such a stellar job qualifying to have it all come not nothing in the first lap was quite disappointing.

To me this season is really alive compared to the previous ones (since I started watching F1). 7 drivers on the podium and 3 different drivers with 2 wins apiece and all of them potential title challengers.

Drive on,
Shibu

Most Viewed